China's Draconian Modus Operandi to Progress

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
You have to keep this in mind: we also have thousands of overseas Chinese forum outside China. Why didn't we see it out here?

They are more nationalist than those inside China.

They are even more blind since they enjoy the flowers of freedom, and at the same time, root for China and justifiably pleased that China is becoming a force in all fields to reckon with.

no smoking

Country flag
The data was from a study commissioned by the Landsea rural developmental institute in conjunction with Renmin and MSU. A synopsis of the survey was also published on the CFR blog and the atlantic.
Thanks, I will read and do research in Chinese website.

We've been through this before, no matter how you try to spin it, the CCP is an absolutist authoritarian government that has the power to tell its citizens to suck it. If there's any compromise it's on the government's terms. Also when the media outlet belongs to the government they clearly control the flow of information. Again, I don't know how this escapes you, but the Chinese establishment is unequivocally one of the most opaque organizations on the planet.
CCP is an authoritarian govement doesn't mean it has absolut control over its citizens. It really has that level of power you suggest, then you won't be able to explain how Chinese workers average wages increase 20% every year since 2006 as the result as several big strikes. You also won't be able to explain all these mass conflicts for land compensation. Maybe You believe that CCP can tell its citizens to suck it, but those cases suggest CCP is the one to suck it up no matter how reluctant it was.

Media outlet belongs to the government but website generanlly doesn't, not even to mention those set up their server in overseas. I don't know how much you know about Chinese online society: any "excited" thing happens, within 24 hours, you can see the pictures all over the country. The mistake you make is you believe CCP is a solidated party which got only one head and one voice. But it is not anymore. It has different interest groups. Each group competes for their power among the party. So, one example is when any mass riot or corruption was found in Shanghai, the other province officers would be delighted to see these were revealed by media within their provinces. After all, your colleagues' loss is your gain. So, my friend, there are lots of big holes in this control network.

You also ironically highlight the second reason for why this issue gets brushed under the carpet, which is class warfare. Those 700 million netizens you mention are overwhelmingly urban residents (which probably also includes you). Land acquisitions are almost entirely utilized for China's rapid urbanization (look at the stats in that report), which means you have the freedom to indulge in magical thinking about what really happens while the farmer actually has to absorb the losses himself.
Are you suggesting that those netizens are volenteerly covering up the mass conflicts for CCP. I just wonder why Wukan, Foxcon, etc are not brushed under the carpet? You know, most of these netizens were still farmers just years ago. they may still got their parents or close relatives in their hometown today, do you really understand what the family means to Chinese?

Disclaimer: This is not my original thought, I attend academic lectures on China at a major university from time to time and I picked this up there . The way it works is by selectively compensating the most influential members of a community whose land has been taken over while screwing over the marginalized people and making sure that a mass movement does not gain steam.
This kind of solution can work in some cases, but I doubt if it can solve all of the cases. Only those have no real working experiences can believe this can work. Why, in China, countryside society is a network built on family. Each villiage is comprised of several big families. Those you called "influential members" are general the oldest in these families. Buying those influential members to silence others is like buying grandfather to cheat on grandson. Even this can work in first place, how long do you think the secret can be kept? As long as others find it, BANG, you have the second mass conflict. And now, the price asked will be even higher than the offer to those influential members.

Now, I really start to doubt how much experiences did those researchers have in China rural area.

All these points are the very definition of the lack of property rights, which is what I'm referring to in the first place.
I don't know what exactly this means, but if you're trying to pass this off as a social problem you need to stop. This isn't a matter of an inter communal property dispute or some other social problem, this is entirely a situation where an absolutist government disregards property rights of its poorest citizens for its own means.
The goverment's attitude towards property rights reflects the public attitude. When the whole society take a easy way on property rights, do you think how the goverment would see it?

Come on, my friend, if you really want to understand China, you have to learn Chinese language. Those english medias can't teach you anything real.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
The goverment's attitude towards property rights reflects the public attitude. When the whole society take a easy way on property rights, do you think how the goverment would see it?
The Chinese government, like every other government, is controlled by an elite, not by "the people" so your your question is entirely hypothetical.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles