China's Deep Space Network

Martian

Respected Member
The Chinese VLBI (ie. Very Long Baseline Interferometry) Network consists of four massive radio telescopes, local atomic clocks, and computer processing of the radio interferometric signals.

The Chinese VLBI Network (CVN) spans the entire continental landmass of China. At the northeastern corner, there is a radio telescope in Beijing. On the eastern seaboard, there is another radio telescope located at Shanghai. In the south, there is a radio telescope in Kunming. To the northwest, the last radio telescope is in Urumqi (Xinjiang). Together, China has a "virtual"/interferometric telescope that is the size of continental China.

The good news is that if China decides to build a massive radio telescope on one of the South China Sea islands, it can create an interferometric telescope that is the size of East Asia.

As shown in the first citation below, China used its CVN to communicate and send commands to the Change'e I and II satellites in 2007 and 2010 respectively.

Also, Shanghai has upgraded its radio telescope and built a truly massive 65m (or 200 feet) steerable radio telescope. It is one of the largest steerable radio telescopes in the world. The Chinese VLBI Network is undergoing an upgrade as China pushes further into deep space.

EAVN/APT | About CVN

----------

Very Long Baseline Interferometry (VLBI)

----------

Tianma Telescope (Shanghai 65m Radio Telescope) | Shanghai Astronomical Observatory

Martian

Respected Member
2016 China Beijing Radio Telescope Perfect

The video gets stuck at 1:22. Jump forward to 1:44 to resume watching the video. The ground-level comparison of the new giant Beijing Radio Telescope with the antiquated small array is breathtaking.

Martian

Respected Member
we have worlds largest low-frequency radio telescope build in 1995 ..............

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_Metrewave_Radio_Telescope .

it was world's largest radio radio telescope ......................

this will be the largest radio telescope in the world >> http://www.ncra.tifr.res.in/ncra/ou...o-design-the-largest-radio-telescope-on-earth
Indians make all sort of ridiculous claims. The world just ignores you.

Without a picture and a reputable citation, it's Indian hot air.

By the way, if you want to discuss India, there's a forum for that. It's called the Indian forums.

Hmmm...I wonder why they call this the Chinese sub-forum? Perhaps, it's for Chinese military, technological, economic, and political developments?

It's not CNSA. It's NAO. Two different organizations.

It's like trying to mix NASA and NRO. Two completely different missions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neo

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Indians make all sort of ridiculous claims. The world just ignores you.
Thanks, please ignore us slightly more.
I would be more happy if India is completely ignored for nuclear non proliferation and tests. It's getting too much attention.
Without a picture and a reputable citation, it's Indian hot air.
No, it isn't.
At the time it was built, it was world's largest interferometric array.
http://repository.ias.ac.in/605/1/347.pdf
Then, we lagged.
We had plans to build neutrino detectors way earlier too but were put on hold because of other priorities.

Well, India has again started focussing on such research projects.
INO is just start.:)
By the way, if you want to discuss India, there's a forum for that. It's called the Indian forums.

Hmmm...I wonder why they call this the Chinese sub-forum? Perhaps, it's for Chinese military, technological, economic, and political developments?
Agreed 100%.:p
It's not CNSA. It's NAO. Two different organizations.

It's like trying to mix NASA and NRO. Two completely different missions.
Thanks, didn't know before.
What's full form of NAO?

airtel

Country flag
ha ha ha Typical Uneducated CHINI , the source provided is related to National Center for Radio Astrophysics, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Pune, India.
NCRA is more reputable than your fake chini CCP , more links >> http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...metre-Array/articleshow/49236470.cms?from=mdr

soon world's largest telescope will be build in ladakh >> http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...t-telescope/articleshow/51556329.cms?from=mdr

and this is video of " Giant Metrewave Radio Telescope " which was built in 1995 .

Last edited:

Martian

Respected Member
Thanks, please ignore us slightly more.
I would be more happy if India is completely ignored for nuclear non proliferation and tests. It's getting too much attention.

No, it isn't.
At the time it was built, it was world's largest interferometric array.
http://repository.ias.ac.in/605/1/347.pdf
Then, we lagged.
We had plans to build neutrino detectors way earlier too but were put on hold because of other priorities.

Well, India has again started focussing on such research projects.
INO is just start.:)

Agreed 100%.:p

Thanks, didn't know before.
What's full form of NAO?
China's National Astronomical Observatories (NAO) falls under the purview of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, which is a civilian organization.

China's space program is controlled by the military.
----------

National Astronomical Observatories, Chinese Academy of Sciences

ha ha ha Typical Uneducated CHINI , the source provided is related to National Center for Radio Astrophysics, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Pune, India.
NCRA is more reputable than your fake chini CCP , more links >> http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...metre-Array/articleshow/49236470.cms?from=mdr

soon world's largest telescope will be build in ladakh >> http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...t-telescope/articleshow/51556329.cms?from=mdr

and this is video of " Giant Metrewave Radio Telescope " built in 1995 .

What did India do with its radio telescope? Nothing.

China built its giant radio telescopes to create a VLBI deep space network to control the Chang'e missions to the Moon and for future missions to Mars and beyond.

AnantS

Country flag
Why does China need a DSN to connect with probe which is lying in pacific?

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
What did India do with its radio telescope? Nothing.

China built its giant radio telescopes to create a VLBI deep space network to control the Chang'e missions to the Moon and for future missions to Mars and beyond.
No GMRT was used to study galaxies, planets and stars(which India's Astrosat is doing better today).

But India never used it for communication. Instead we used IDSN(similar to European ESTRACK) for communicating with spacecraft.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
Nice work Sir. extremely informative post. Kindly continue the good work.

angeldude13

Lestat De Lioncourt
Country flag
Why the hell you people are derailing such a beautiful and informative thread.
@pmaitra sir please remove the off topic posts.

pmaitra

Just logged in to post a couple of posts. I will look into this thread after a couple of hours.

I request everyone to keep this thread informative and to the point.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
If talking of me, I just asked few questions from him. That even related to Chinese Space Program.
BTW, somebody delete my Post no. 3 on thread (DFI post no. 1188742), as it's unrelated.

pmaitra

If talking of me, I just asked few questions from him. That even related to Chinese Space Program.
BTW, somebody delete my Post no. 3 on thread (DFI post no. 1188742), as it's unrelated.
Is it? You other thread was about the Chinese Space Programme, and this one is about the Chinese Deep Space Network. These are not entirely unrelated.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles