China's biggest future navy base-Sanya

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Hainan looks pretty developed. I thought it was one of the poorest provinces except for its now sprouting holiday-resort industry. Nice location, lets China bully smaller South Asian countries. Also gives it the muscle to quickly "unclog" Malacca strait, if needed.

Rage

DFI TEAM
Hainan looks pretty developed. I thought it was one of the poorest provinces except for its now sprouting holiday-resort industry. Nice location, lets China bully smaller South Asian countries. Also gives it the muscle to quickly "unclog" Malacca strait, if needed.

Hainan is dirt poor, with the exception of the downtown cores of Sanya and Haikou. And that latter assessment is based on "helicopter-view visible infrastructure" of the better areas of those cities.

As of 2009, it had a GDP of $27.1 billion, which is comparable to Orissa's GDP for the fiscal 2008-09.

The location, is I must admit, nice. They've got one of their most important surface fleet bases in the South China sea there that the PLAN began constructing in the late 1990's with two finger piers about 1,000m in length, both capable of berthing surface combatants, amphibious warfare ships and large oil replenishment ships. They've also got an underground secret nuclear submarine base under construction similar to what's being constructed at Rambilli, composed of a demagnetisation facility, an underground berthing facility and three finger piers. The Type 094 is rumoured to be permanently birthed there.

You can see them here:

A & B are the submarine base and surface fleet bases respectively

Here are those piers:

nimo_cn

Country flag
Hainan is dirt poor, with the exception of the downtown cores of Sanya and Haikou. And that latter assessment is based on "helicopter-view visible infrastructure" of the better areas of those cities.

As of 2009, it had a GDP of $27.1 billion, which is comparable to Orissa's GDP for the fiscal 2008-09.
Dirty poor? Compared with Orissa?

I bet you have never been to Hannan.
Hanan pronvice is a province with a pretty decent economy, it has a relatively low GDP because of its small popularion (8.26million according to census in 2005) . Tell me what is the population of Orissa?

amoy

It's said HQTrs of South China Sea Fleet will be relocated from Zhanjiang to Sanya. Is it true?

Hainan is a so-called Hawaii of China. And Sanya, in particular is a well developed tourist attraction. Other than Haikou and Sanya and probably promising Wenchang the province as an isolated island is not very 'industrialized'. But the merit is it has a well preserved envioronment. That's why Hainan turns out to be a tourist destination for northerners and foreigners also thanks to warm weather year round.

Rage

DFI TEAM
Dirty poor? Compared with Orissa?

I bet you have never been to Hannan.
Hanan pronvice is a province with a pretty decent economy, it has a relatively low GDP because of its small popularion (8.26million according to census in 2005) . Tell me what is the population of Orissa?
Son, son, son, you don't need to get in a twist.

Hainan is "dirt-poor" (the word is not "dirty-poor") in relation to other Chinese provinces.

The population of Orissa is 35 million. The comparison was made, because just as Hainan has a poor provincial GDP in relation to other Chinese states, so too does Orissa have a poor GDP in comparison to other Indian states.

No, I've never been to Hainan. I bet you've never been to Orissa.

Last edited by a moderator:

badguy2000

Respected Member
here are more pictures of Sanya city

The headquarter of local navy base

Rage

DFI TEAM
Hainan is l richer than any Indian state ,whether measued by per nominal captial GDP or by life quality or infrastructure
However, Hainan is still the poorest province in coastal CHina,which is truth. period.
Period, you're farting brain-farts out of your face.

Hainan has a GDP of $27.1 billion, which is comparable to Orissa's GDP for the fiscal 2008-2009.

I'd expect the "life quality" of an island-tourist destination to be 'up there'. Have you been to the Andaman & Nicobar islands?

In terms of PPP PCI, the states of Gujarat, Maharashtra, Karnataka, Punjab, Delhi, Goa, the Union Territories of Chandigarh, Daman & Diu and Pudducherry all have higher PPP PCI's than Hainan, if that's what you want to go by.

In terms of infrastructure, the only things in Hainan comparable to Indian cities are the downtown cores of Haikou and Saniya. Please don't make me post pictures of slums in Chinese cities.

Rage

DFI TEAM
here are more pictures

here are more pictures of Sanya city

"Pictures" don't make an argument. Statistics do.

I could post mind-boggling pictures of Goa that would blow your mind. Do you want me to?

Last edited:

badguy2000

Respected Member
Hainan is the second biggest island of China,only behind Taiwan. It is 33,920 Square KM large and has a popualtion of 8.5 M.

Hainan is also the youngest provice of China,set up in 1987. It consist 2 prefect-level administrative-units(Haikou city and Sanya city) and 22 county-level administrative-units(county,county-level city,district,autonomous county and special industry zone).

Rage

DFI TEAM
Hainan is the second biggest island of China,only behind Taiwan. It is 33,920 Square KM large and has a popualtion of 8.5 M.
Taiwan is not a 'province' of China. Economically, administratively and politically. No more than Pakistan is a part of India.

Hainan is also the youngest provice of China,set up in 1987. It consist 2 prefect-level administrative-units(Haikou city and Sanya city) and 22 county-level administrative-units(county,county-level city,district,autonomous county and special industry zone).
Thanks for the info. Doesn't prove your economic bumblings one bit.

badguy2000

Respected Member
"Pictures" don't make an argument. Statistics do.

I could post mind-boggling pictures of Goa that would blow your mind. D you want me to?
guy, no offence. those pictures are not self- boast ,but a close snapshot of warships and local navybase.

you are too hypesusuceptiable to it.

As for urban developement and skyline, skyscrapcitcity.com is a much better place to argue.

Rage

DFI TEAM
guy, no offence. those pictures are not self- boast ,but a close snapshot of warships and local navybase.

you are too hypesusuceptiable to it.

As for urban developement and skyline, skyscrapcitcity.com is a much better place to argue.
You are "hypesusuceptiable" to making mundane arguments that have nothing to do with the subject at hand.

Skyscrapercity is a good place, would that it had pictures that reflected both the good and the bad of both countries. Unfortunately, most pictures of Indian cities most Indians post on skyscrapercity are of their own localities, not embellished pictures of downtown-cores and (to use a word that I've used often) 'prosaic' versions of their cities.

If you really want pictures of Indian cities comparable to what the Chinese post, come to me.

badguy2000

Respected Member
Haikou is the captial of Hainan province. It is a prefecture-level city and consists of 4 districts (county-level administrative-units).
It is 1304 Square KM large and its population is 1.6M altogether( including urban population and suburbs population).

badguy2000

Respected Member
China's future biggest aerospace center is being constructed in Wenchang city.
Wenchang is a county-level city and has a population of 0.54 M.

the countytown of Wenchang city

the new aerospace center under construction.

Rage

DFI TEAM
Yes, indeed. My point exactly.

Those downtown cores are what are comparable to Indian cities like Surat, Thane and Kochi. All of which are Tier-II / III cities.

In order:

We can go down this road, or we can get back on topic. Your call.

Last edited:

nimo_cn

Country flag
Oh come on..we're comparing it to other Chinese provinces. You don't have jump into a China - India comparison.
China's poorest provinces are in the middle west or soutwest of China. Get your fact straight first.
I don't want turn this into another China-India comparison, but Rage seems to be a little pushy on this.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles