China's arming Pakistan makes it a 'second class enemy': Ratan Tata

Zebra

Country flag
Modi will have deep relation with china than usa/west.. refusal of visa by usa will sure linger on his mind and he will seek his revenge on usa.
US have balls to reject the PM's visa for their one of the top 5 weapon buyer country?
At least, I have a doubt it.

Nothing gonna happen.
At the end, NaMo will get visa for US.

sukhish

I dont understand why Indians cry hoarse on china or even USA arming Pakistan.If you have guts and spine then start arming Vietnam Philippines with nuke.if you cant even do that much then dont cry on self created plight otherwise keep quite and accept you defeated fate.
on this one completely agress with you.

mki

It is surprising to find an Indian business tycoon to comment on China and Pakistan in this sense. Not many have ventured in this area.
I believe Ratan tata and his family are great business tycoon but first good indian citizen. Tata is one of the biggest business empire in india but not the to 10 richest family. Why because the most of share holder of the tata are their charity organization.

I believe Ratan Tata is also suitable for President. He is as wise as Dr. Kalam and down to earth.

ejazr

Ambassador
I don't know why China would be considered as a second class enemy.

Maybe I understood it wrong but I think that is underestimating China. If anything they are quite first class in of themselves.

agentperry

I dont understand why Indians cry hoarse on china or even USA arming Pakistan.If you have guts and spine then start arming Vietnam Philippines with nuke.if you cant even do that much then dont cry on self created plight otherwise keep quite and accept you defeated fate.
i dont want in my life to hear that australian pm saying that we will not allow india a proliferator to run its nuke plants with aussie uranium,

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag
I am really surprised to hear from Tata that no one in India can produce an automatic transmission. With all the might of Tata's R&D and manufacturing - they still have to import auto transmissions ?

It seems to me that Indian conglomerates are always happy picking the low hanging fruit when it comes to design and manufacturing until someone comes along and challenges them on their home turf. As long as they can make money on the low hanging fruit - they will not venture into more advanced stuff.
Apparently you are the only poster who seems to have picked up on the main message. Tata's primary emphasis is on the future of India's economic prowess and industrial capacity; but as usual the sensationalist substandard "news paper" has taken the one fleeting reference to Pakistan and turned it into the headline. Subsequently all the keyboard warriors and nationalist blowhards on various forms of media have turned this into a Pakistan/ national security/ military issue.

If there is anything the audience can learn from Tata is that the new medium defining international relations whether it be an alliance or adversarial is economics, not conventional military force. And yes, India hasn't come anywhere close to China in terms of technological advancement (qualitative and quantitative) and is still a net importer of basic technology. This is also why India has to bow down and become friendly with China because there is no other profitable alternative.

To say that India is lagging behind china in technological development is an understatement; however the primary reasons for India's faltering growth are structural in nature. There can be no substantial R&D unless there is some semblance of intellectual property rights. R&D capacity takes years to build and it's a complex collaborative effort between academic institutions, private industry and intense government funding. There is no such thing in India. Indian universities aren't research oriented as in the case of industrial powers and there is no healthy collaboration; the state if anything which is supposed to play the crucial role happens to be the biggest impediment. There are also many other problems like land reform, terrible labor laws, lack of appropriate legal framework to facilitate business and rampant corruption. And let's not forget the absolute lack of infrastructure.

China too has corruption, however the difference is that it is facilitative corruption as in, bribes will get you even more leeway to conduct business than what the states business friendly policies provide. India on the other hand suffers from prohibitive forms of corruption; as in you have to pay rents to get even the most basic necessities which are suppose to be provided for free. I think one reason for this is the poor level of education among India's politicians, they simply do not understand the value of industrial development and business enterprise; to them progress and growth are all worthless because only a decrepit third world environment will keep them in business like the good ol days.

Tata has talked about all these issues on many occasions because he has a great understanding of it all. I also sense a lot of disappointment because if you listen to his talks from about 7 years ago he saw a lot of promise, but now that has waned.

Last edited:

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
Tatas don't invest in R&D which they should be. They are here to earn profit only. They will rather come up with some JV or outsources technology solution or some Jugaad as we say.

agentperry

for days i have been thinking why ratan tata made such comment? he is a businessman and not only that a renowned nation builder.then after bit of thinking i concluded that tata is also sufferer at the hands of pakistan and its militant policies.

cant forget mumbai menace by pakistan. its but obvious ratan tata emotionally attached to the taj mahal palace hotel in mumbai got hurt by this act of pakistan.
more over a businessman knows what rivalry is and how to treat friend of an enemy.

moreover he is set to retire and might be thinking of making an inroad into the political arena

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
for days i have been thinking why ratan tata made such comment? he is a businessman and not only that a renowned nation builder.then after bit of thinking i concluded that tata is also sufferer at the hands of pakistan and its militant policies.

cant forget mumbai menace by pakistan. its but obvious ratan tata emotionally attached to the taj mahal palace hotel in mumbai got hurt by this act of pakistan.
more over a businessman knows what rivalry is and how to treat friend of an enemy.
I hear that a puki ministry recently approached Tata Motors to buy 380 Sumo Grande trucks. Now I know why Tatas refused it so blatantly and told them to control their terrorism first.

Regards,
Virendra

Agnostic Muslim

Whatever his motivations for making the comment (if indeed as reported above), the comment itself makes little to no sense - by this yardstick, the US, UK, Brazil, Sweden, Ukraine, South Africa etc. are all 'second class enemies of India'.

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
Whatever his motivations for making the comment (if indeed as reported above), the comment itself makes little to no sense - by this yardstick, the US, UK, Brazil, Sweden, Ukraine, South Africa etc. are all 'second class enemies of India'.
Welcome Agnostic Muslim! :)

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag
Looks like the quote has been taken out of context and then blown out of proportion.

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag
It seems his primary emphasis during the interview was a recap of his career as the CEO of tata where he candidly talks about his failures such as not being able to tap into the bottom of the pyramid as he envisioned with the nano etc. This particular part of the interview in question appears to deal with his thoughts on the complex relationship between India and China where there aren't open adversarial acts but tussle to dominate the region still creates a lot of tension, and arming Pakistan is probably an indirect example of an adversarial relationship. But clearly the discussion is about economics vis a vis the relationship with China as opposed to jingoistic rhetoric aimed at Pakistan.

Last edited:

agentperry

Do you have a link to the detailed comments, and/or could you explain what exactly the context of those comments was?
sir pls read the ratan tata comment once again it says the chinese who are enemy of india are arming its arch rival pakistan and this makes them second grade enemy. ukraine and other countries are not enemy of india so their grading is not in question

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles