China your enemy: Jethmalani walks all over Pak's red carpet

amoy

China your enemy: Jethmalani walks all over Pak’s red carpet - Indian Express
There were several red faces at the Pakistan High Commission's reception for visiting Pakistan Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar here this evening when former Law Minister and Rajya Sabha MP Ram Jethmalani called China an "enemy" of both India and Pakistan — in the presence of the Chinese Ambassador — and peppered his speech with politically incorrect references, including one to Khar's photograph.

This remark forced Pakistan High Commissioner Shahid Malik to publicly clarify that these views were not shared by Pakistan. The Government, too, scrambled to control the damage with Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao walking up to Chinese ambassador Zhang Yan to clarify that New Delhi, too, did not share Jethmalani's views. Rajiv Shukla, Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs, also apologised to the Chinese envoy.

The incident took place as the dinner was winding down when Jethmalani, seated at the head-table, stood up and started an impromptu speech.

"Unless India and Pakistan are locked in the embrace of love, they will eventually be destroyed. Do not accept China as your friend, China is an enemy of both... beware of them (the Chinese)," Jethmalani said, addressing the visiting Pakistan Minister.

As soon as Jethmalani completed his speech, Shahid Malik said: "I would like to clarify that we don't agree to his comments on China. I hope these are his personal views." To which, Jethmalani said, "Yes, these are my personal views".

At the head-table were Khar, Malik, MoS (External Affairs) Preneet Kaur, PM's special envoy on Pakistan-Afghanistan Satinder K Lambah, Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao and her successor Ranjan Mathai along with their spouses, Rajya Sabha deputy chairman K Rahman Khan, former sports minister M S Gill and MoS Rajeev Shukla among others.

Chinese ambassador Zhang Yan was seated at a table nearby, along with US charge d'affairs Peter Burleigh, Sri Lankan High Commissioner Prasad Kariyawasam and Egyptian Ambassador Khaled el Bakly. The reference to China wasn't the only Jethmalani embarrassment.

"I wanted to be invited for this dinner today, and I wanted to come, especially after I saw your pictures in the newspapers today," he began, addressing Khar.

Then he recalled his marriage: "Whenever I see democracy in Pakistan, I feel like the day I got married at the age of 18. The excitement like the day of my marriage, I feel the excitement every time I see Pakistan's democracy coming through. I hope it will not be destroyed by any dictator."

The former law minister also said, "I am not a great a lover of dictators but I have an exception. I believe he (Pervez Musharraf) wanted peace between India and Pakistan and I believe India missed the bus. The fault lies on this side, few people will admit this."

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
I cannot judge his intelligence but he had always said and done what nobody else would. Be it fighting the most controversial cases or speaking like this. A strange man indeed, who perhaps thinks that he's just being careless about political correctness and nothing else.

Regards,
Virendra

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Jethmalani is not wrong about China. China is Pakistans enemy as it will fight India down to the last Pakistani.

binayak95

Country flag
Jethmalani is not wrong about China. China is Pakistans enemy as it will fight India down to the last Pakistani.
Yeah I agree and I hope that the PAKISTANIS realise that before its too late.

huaxia rox

actually before the 1962 war....pakistanis invited indians to fight PRC...indians simply turned it down. now sombody saying the same from india to pakistanis.

sometimes its fun to see how some nations can be enemies or friends.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
actually before the 1962 war....pakistanis invited indians to fight PRC...indians simply turned it down. now sombody saying the same from india to pakistanis.

sometimes its fun to see how some nations can be enemies or friends.
This is a new fairytale im hearing.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
The former law minister also said, "I am not a great a lover of dictators but I have an exception. I believe he (Pervez Musharraf) wanted peace between India and Pakistan and I believe India missed the bus. The fault lies on this side, few people will admit this."

:doh: kargil :doh:

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
pakistanis have zero IQ to understand and make sense of what jethmalani is saying here.

they first hooked on to the americans, loved them as if they were the only people to be looked upon in this world and now the americans have been replaced by the chinese.

after being used, misused, abused by the chinese completely will they understand what jethmalani was saying, as happened with their love affair with america, but by then they would be obsessively in love with someone else to cause harm to india, though the end result of which is ruining themselves.

you dont expect sanity from a pakistani, do you?

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
pakistanis have zero IQ to understand and make sense of what jethmalani is saying here.

they first hooked on to the americans, loved them as if they were the only people to be looked upon in this world and now the americans have been replaced by the chinese.

after being used, misused, abused by the chinese completely will they understand what jethmalani was saying, as happened with their love affair with america, but by then they would be obsessively in love with someone else to cause harm to india, though the end result of which is ruining themselves.

you dont expect sanity from a pakistani, do you?
You just summed it all up.

huaxia rox

This is a new fairytale im hearing.

Sino-Indian War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Prior to the war, Pakistan also shared a disputed boundary with China, and had proposed to India that the two countries adopt a common defence against "northern" enemies (i.e. China), which was rejected by India.[23]

[23] History of the Conflict with China, 1962. P.B. Sinha, A.A. Athale, with S.N. Prasad, chief editor, History Division, Ministry of Defence, Govt. of India, 1992.

my indian friends......learn history so u know history.....common sense is not that common........

of course the history of 1962 war....the history of relations among india pakistan PRC should not only be learnt from indian schools and mainstream scholars if u really wanna find all the facts..........just my little suggestions.

Rahul M

That was pretty stupid of Jethmalani, would've been fun to be at that party though. He got too emotional perhaps. Seriously, diplomats really need learn to hold it in their pants, we all know HR is hot but it is now way for a senile ex-law minister to behave.
not at all jethmalani is a very shrewd character even if he is a bit of a loose cannon. he is anything but senile.
this is diplomacy, things are not as simple as they seem.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles