China wont attack India: PM

Galaxy

Country flag
"Hindi-Chini Bhai Bhai, China wont attack India: PM

Wednesday, December 14

New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Wednesday played down the security threat from China, saying peace and tranquillity continues between the two neighbours.

Speaking in Lok Sabha, Singh described India and China as great neighbours and rejected the contention that China was preparing to attack India.

He said the reports to this effect were false.

"Our government does not share the view that China will attack India," the PM said.

The remarks came amid reports that Chinese President Hu Jintao has asked the country's Navy to prepare for warfare amid the country's ongoing dispute with several countries, including India, on oil exploration in South China Sea.

They also follow China's agreement with Indian Ocean island of Seychelles to set up a military base there.

The PM acknowledged in Parliament that not much progress has been made on the border dispute ever since the two counties agreed on political parameters to resolve the row.

He assured the House that officials at highest level in China had assured him on "maintaining peace and tranquillity with India".

China won't attack India: PM

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Its just for the Chinese ears. We have been doing everything including planning and preparing for a 2 front war and raising mountain divisions, acquiring light artillery and stationing front line fighters to fight against China. For the first time ever we are preparing for offensive role. So i dont think MMS is giving a clean chit like Nehru.

pankaj nema

Country flag
Galaxy Thanks for this article

You brought a smile to my face I was in a bad mood after this SU 30 mki crash

Any way , China will NOT attack India because India is well prepared AND will KEEP on INCREASING
its military strength every year

The PM 's statement is a tricky and a loaded one .China CAN neither endorse it nor reject it outright

Let us see the Chinese Foreign ministry response

India is under absolutely NO illusion about China's malafide intentions towards India

Intentions DO not matter ONLY Capabilities do

niharjhatn

While its highly unlikely an all-out war between China and India happening, proxy wars via Maoists/Pakistan (as is happening) will continue/get more aggressive. Unfortunately, the threat of continual border skirmishes are still on the table, due to the absolutely incompetent manner GoI beats around the bushes, and then claim China does not want to discuss the issue - of course they (CCP) don't want to discuss the issue, they like things the way they are.

If I was in the government, I would not conduct ANY talks with China at all that did not look at the border issue and resolving it. How the eff the b******* in government discuss economics and trade when we have essentially been locked in conflict since the 1950's :tsk:

For a nation that prides itself on democracy and diplomacy, how India approaches these foreign relations makes me wanna puke

niharjhatn

Any way , China will NOT attack India because India is well prepared AND will KEEP on INCREASING
its military strength every year
I highly doubt that the Chinese are concerned about not winning an engagement with India alone - however the costs of such an engagement (direct damage and who knows what the US might do) is what is really staying their hand.

TBH China is currently distracted with some domestic issues, and I think over the next 10-15 years, they are more focussed on Vietnam + Taiwan (S. China Sea region) rather than India.

I daresay they are regretting stirring India up as much as they have over the last 5 years or so because to me it seems obvious that at the moment, their priorities lie elsewhere.

The elephant may be slow to get moving, but we all know about its inertia!! :D

Tianshan

i don't understand what would be the point of attacking india.

the only reason would be retaliation against some interference in our core interests, like in tibet or in the south china sea.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
i don't understand what would be the point of attacking india.

the only reason would be retaliation against some interference in our core interests, like in tibet or in the south china sea.
The same as what it was in 62.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
china wont wage a war directly on you ever, but will do everything from overtly supporting the pakistanis to covertly supporting the insurgencies.

does the rather generous PM have an answer for that?

Galaxy

Country flag
Pankaj,

Yes, we are improving our defence capability. No doubt on that. Even Mr. Brown with brown coffee said the same yesterday.

IAF to focus on operations in North-East

Having said that, It's all theoretical and we still lack strategic depth and enough fire-power to face China and win. Our best chance is Tie and God forbid in 2 front war, Looks dangerous too.

We don't have a single STRIKE CORPS in N-E, We don't have capability to mobilise a single mountain division from Nagaland to Tawang or A.P within a day due to poor infrastructure and lack of transport Heli/Aircraft. Not to forget, We don't even have Short range offensive Missile like Brahmos/Prahar as operational and Air-Defence is not yet covered 1/3rd of that area. List is very long and preparation is weak and slow.

Last edited:

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
PMO should abstain from giving out such meek and lewd statements; the era of shameless Nehru Gandhi is long over (though their corrupt and intellectually unsound breed still sits over our heads). However, GOI should have some teeth, and if you can't let go sheepish cowardly Nehru ways of governance - then avoid making any such statements and let things be ambiguous for good!!

P.S: Such doltish statements are very distasteful!

Last edited:

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
china wont wage a war directly on you ever, but will do everything from overtly supporting the pakistanis to covertly supporting the insurgencies.

does the rather generous PM have an answer for that?
I think Govt answered that by venturing in SCS & signing pacts with Vietnam.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
I think Govt answered that by venturing in SCS & signing pacts with Vietnam.
though that indeed is a motivated step and US stepping in comes handy in a big way, but hardly the kind of answer that would be enough for the chinese.

but then yes, our support to the tibet cause could also be projected as one in the direction, though we might for the heck of it talk about "one china".

fair enough, but one would expect a more hard nosed diplomacy in confronting china.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
though that indeed is a motivated step and US stepping in comes handy in a big way, but hardly the kind of answer that would be enough for the chinese.

but then yes, our support to the tibet cause could also be projected as one in the direction, though we might for the heck of it talk about "one china".

fair enough, but one would expect a more hard nosed diplomacy in confronting china.
The Chinese too keep passing some "feel good" statements once in a while. All this happens. Key is to not let your eye off the ball. India is doing alrite as far as China goes. We are not going to be in a Nehru like spot.

RedDragon

I think perhaps Chinese Foreign Department also make a "India will not attack us" speech.

RedDragon

But I don't know how many Chinese will notice this "India will not attack us" speech.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
But I don't know how many Chinese will notice this "India will not attack us" speech.
That depends on how many people are devoted to India when making their 50 cents!

pankaj nema

Country flag
PMO should abstain from giving out such meek and lewd statements; the era of shameless Nehru Gandhi is long over (though their corrupt and intellectually unsound breed still sits over our heads). However, GOI should have some teeth, and if you can't let go sheepish cowardly Nehru ways of governance - then avoid making any such statements and let things be ambiguous for good!!

P.S: Such doltish statements are very distasteful!
I think it is a very nice and tricky statement

There s no harm in speaking softly

As they say Talk SOFTLY BUT carry a BIG stick

We just need to do both things Keep Preparing and Keep talking to the Chinese

May be the PM's statement is the result of the recently CONCLUDED Annual Defence Dialogue

The Chinese side may have said to us that look we are not interested in a war with India

Because our Free media is ALWAYS whipping up the war frenzy with China

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
The last time when an INDIAN PRIME MINISTER made this statement the Chinese attacked INDIA in a time span of 6 months(please correct me if i am wrong). So now we can expect another Chinese attack on INDIA in a 6 months time.

I think this time around our ARMED FORCES are prepared for any attack by the Chinese and will give a very bloody nose cut to the CCP CHINA.

SpArK

SORCERER
So cancel all the VROOMS and KABOOMS ???:shocked:

Shhhhh about Gilgit presence, Shhhh about airstrips along northern borders, Shhh.. on threats on ONGC assets, Shhhhh ..on Indian Ocean ventures.....Shhh on facilitation along Mynamar borders for MEOWists...shhh on UNSC, Visa issues...Shhhh Shhhhh...

Well said Manmohan Shhhhhhhing....

Global Defence

New threads

Articles