China wants more aircraft carriers to compete with India

Country flag
Even going by what you said, this title is far-fetched, how could we compete with India if we are not capable of going beyond SCS?

Do we have any problem with what I said about India being irrelevant with Chinese AC project?

Leaving India aside how will you get out of South China seas against USA?? How will the carrier be utilized when you will never make it to blue waters??

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Don't complicate what I said. I said we didn't take India into consideration when building that AC, that maybe sound ignorant, but if you truely understand what situation China is in, you will agree with what I said.
Military people always take all threats into consideration, when a country like India has 2 ACs then Chinese policy makers must have thought how come we have none. Obviously having those carriers dont mean a thing against USA, USA has 11 ACs and all of them are double in size of what China or India has, they carry 75+ fighters and our carriers carry only 35+ fighters. That is pretty much like going ahead against 22 ACs plus their plans for Super Carriers and Amerik Class Attack ships which also carry 30+ fighters. It surely cant match US.

nimo_cn

Country flag
Leaving India aside how will you get out of South China seas against USA?? How will the carrier be utilized when you will never make it to blue waters??
Did I say anything else other than India being irrelevant?

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
Most indians are very optimistic about their carrier program, but ground reality is very different. It takes India 12 years to complete a medium sized warship, go figure how long it would really take for India to build a carrier which is about 1 magnitude more complex than a destroyer or a frigate. Understood that someone just announced that if ALL(a huge if) goes well the INS Vikrant would be launched by years end, but how many similar promises went uncashed in the past? When in 2001 after years of delay India finally launched the first GSLV, the talk was that India was expected to a launch version with indigenous upper-stage the next year. Now a decade on, India still has not managed to accomplish this.

Some dates for you to digest:
INS Dehli, laid down 14 November 1987, launched 01 February 1991, commissioned 15 November 1997
INS Shivalik, laid down 11 July 2001, launched 18 April 2003, commissioned 29 April 2010
INS Kolkata, laid down 27 September 2003, launched 30 March 2006, commissioned was May 2012 now 2015

now the first indigenous carrier
INS Vikrant, laid down 28 Feb 2009, launched Dec 2011? sea trial 2013? commissioned 2014? in total 5 years?

Realistically this ship won't sail with the indian navy before 2020, that too would represent an precendented feat for india's ship building industry. Take a look at the french carrier Charles de Gaulle a ship that is similar in size to Vikrant:

laid down 14 April 1989, launched 7 May 1994, commissioned 18 May 2001
Ok tony now understand this: Just consider the time when our shipbuilding facilities started those programs for future frigates and destroyers, "1987", as mentioned by you. Do you think or can you expect at that time India would have been able to finish the project in 5-6 years. When even there was no private sector involved in manufacture of simple cars,when owing a car was like being the king of the town, you are talking about modern destroyers and frigates? Isnt that weird and unjust?
Btw actual construction of Kolkata class P-15A started in 2005.

I agree with you that delays will prevail but only for a year or two because this is not the 20th century or the beginning of the previous decade. N-LCA might take a little more time but for the 1st AC of Vikrant class, I`m pretty much sure that it will roll out by 2016.

I`m just asking you to compare the scenario of 90`s with that of today(for India) including everything from manufacture of mobile phones and access to internet with the status of Information Technology in India today. From the zero development of motorbikes in 1980 to leading manufacturer of 2-wheeler. From availability of parts to the development of Brahmos and Agni.............just make me count these things which appear to be extremely small but have infinite LESSONS behind it for us, for Indians.

"INDIGENOUS" is a very important factor for us, at least from this decade.

Dont think i`m over excited or being over confident, i`m just asking you to compare the differences and mobility and rest is up to you. Things have changed my dear. Things have changed a lot. And will change in future too.

Last edited:

nimo_cn

Country flag
You said India is irrelevant so the carrier is for USA. If not USA then who and how will it be utilized??
First, I didn't say USA is not a factor.

Second, must AC have no option but to compete with India?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles