China to pay huge price if it does not stop skirmishes with neighbours

Vishwarupa

Country flag
Edward Luttwak

Recent incursions by the Chinese army into Indian territory in the Depsang region of Ladakh neither signify anything nor prove anything. In fact, they are all contained. But the Chinese army must stay in the game on the western front because the navy and the air force of the country get all the eastern business.

However, with such an aggressive country around as neighbour, India cannot afford to be too calm and complacent when it comes to modernising its defence forces and replacing obsolescent equipment. Of course, India had responded to China's expanding military power by continuing to strengthen its own armed forces. Though with hesitation, it had offered its training facilities for Vietnam's new submarine fleet. We all know that Beijing has abandoned its "Peaceful Rise" and is increasingly quarrelling with its neighbours on the west as well as the east.

EVEN ROADS ARE BAD

However, at this juncture, India must clearly note the glacial pace of military procurement across the globe. What is highly worrisome is that even the roads built by the Border Roads Organisation behind possible frontlines are too narrow and too easily interruptible. One must think out of the box while building new, linear roads that are able to withstand attacks from across the border.

I must say that India will do well by not following China in its act of quarrelling: unlike Beijing, New Delhi should not fight with its neighbours. China is in the process of paralysing itself by picking fights with all its neighbours (such as Vietnam, India, Japan, Taiwan and so on). This is a fatal mistake. It would have been fatal for any country, including the US, if it had attempted something similar. That is why the US never bullies Canada or Mexico. If the US had gone after Canada or Mexico (by quarrelling over land, natural resources, or for regional dominance), they would have had Soviet bases there. The US doesn't even opt for "hot pursuits" - chasing down criminals once they cross the border. BEWARE OF JAPAN

Therefore, China will pay a price. It is going to be huge if it doesn't stop and it seems that the country is in no mood to stop. This country's undoing will be a war or even a minor skirmish with Japan over the Senkaku Islands, a group of uninhabited islands controlled by Japan in the East China Sea. China will soon, maybe in a year or two, stake a much bigger claim for these islands. That will be the end. They can't even start a war. They will be decimated by the Japanese navy even before they start it. Any such move against Japan will be extremely disastrous for China.

I treat as a joke China's accusation that Japan and the US are being provocative by going for a joint drill. Beijing was referring to a proposed June joint drill by the US and Japan to "capture" an imaginary island. But it is the Chinese that keep sending ships, making aggressive statements, printing maps claiming 3 million square kilometres of sea. They are being provocative every day by advancing long dormant territorial and maritime claims, including most of Arunachal Pradesh.

India must resist any security relations China may try to forge with, say, a neighbour like Sri Lanka, by offering better terms, as well as it can. But first India must wake from its slumber and face reality. This is all the more important at a time when China is in the process of constantly competing with all its neighbours - its new-found aggression over land and sea in the neighbourhood is very similar to the expansionist tendencies of pre-World War II Germany.

The writer, a military strategist, is author of "The Rise of China vs the Logic of Strategy"

China to pay huge price if it does not stop skirmishes with neighbours - Economic Times

huaxia rox

Re: China to pay huge price if it does not stop skirmishes with neighb

1 prc is just going too sissy towards india. these indian invaders who are doing all they used to do back in 1960s never met any challenges so they are so cocky.

prcs power now is way beyond 1960s economically and militarilly but that doesnt mean people in power are doing well and taking advantage of this to sort out problems.

prc should divert water from yaluzangbu river in tibet straight away when chinese people dont have enough water to drink or use. why waste the water and let it run into indian terrority?? why sharing valuable water data to the back stabber country who doesnt know what is thanksgiving?

when indian soldiers have no phone to call their home it was PLA pesonel who offered them cell phones and as a return they set up tents right with in prcs territory. what a joke?

2 the most funny thing is if prc is really having trouble in the process of gradually taking back its territory! This is a fatal mistake. why should indians be so worried? if my enemy makes some mistake i just grab a bottle of beer and enjoy what is going to unfold. indians now really dont look that way.

3 just look how many countries india is bodering?? how many are problem free with india?? well....probably just one sikkim like country afamkg......

DivineHeretic

Country flag

1 prc is just going too sissy towards india. these indian invaders who are doing all they used to do back in 1960s never met any challenges so they are so cocky.

prcs power now is way beyond 1960s economically and militarilly but that doesnt mean people in power are doing well and taking advantage of this to sort out problems.

prc should divert water from yaluzangbu river in tibet straight away when chinese people dont have enough water to drink or use. why waste the water and let it run into indian terrority?? why sharing valuable water data to the back stabber country who doesnt know what is thanksgiving?

when indian soldiers have no phone to call their home it was PLA pesonel who offered them cell phones and as a return they set up tents right with in prcs territory. what a joke?

2 the most funny thing is if prc is really having trouble in the process of gradually taking back its territory! This is a fatal mistake. why should indians be so worried? if my enemy makes some mistake i just grab a bottle of beer and enjoy what is going to unfold. indians now really dont look that way.

3 just look how many countries india is bodering?? how many are problem free with india?? well....probably just one sikkim like country afamkg......
Ow Man, if you can't write something sensible, better keep those butterfingers off the keyboard. Trolls are a big problem with their oneliners as it is, we don't need them graduating to essay writers filling valuable space with crap.

Better stick to one line trolling, takes less effort to ignore.
:namaste:

Agni5

Hey u there chini chunk I would like to thank u (i know thanks giving day though)
And for your kind information all Indians since 15th April having beers and only beers. Goodluck and god may bless you but I DON'T.

Vishwarupa

Country flag

What is that i read now :hair::hair:How much did CCP pay you to write this.

mikhail

Country flag

you divert our water and we'll make sure that your eternal friend pakistan turns in to a desert!you think we really care about 40-50 PLA goons camping on our side of the border,we can crush them if we want to but we are choosing a diplomatic path to ease the tension as we are a responsible country!
and i suggest you to look at your own country before pointing towards us regarding border problems with our neighbors.you guys have border problem with literally every neighboring countries(India,Mongolia,Vietnam,Japan,Phillipines,Taiwan etc).you are acting like a bully just like what Hitler did in the early '40s in Europe!its not a good thing to have enmity with nearly all your neighbors at the same time.

Reactions: Ray

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

He ain't eating tonight.
:20:06
He "isn't" eating tonight, remember?
:20:08
Isn't, ain't,
what difference does it make?
:20:12
Ain't going to be no school anymore
with you leaving tonight.
:20:21
Good evening, folks. Mr. Rance,
I have the buckboard out here.
:20:25
I'll be waiting for you
if you need me.
:20:29
Go, Rance. Go now, while you can.
:20:33
Nora and Hallie
can finish the dishes.
:20:40
Go. Please go.
:20:44
I owe you for
three days' room and board.
:20:49
I want to square my account. I want
to square my account before I go.
:21:12
And those in England now asleep
shall think themselves accursed.
:21:18
They were not here whilst any lives
:21:21
that fought with us
on St Crispin's Day.
:21:28
But when the blast, the blast of war,
:21:33
blows in our ears and we summon up...
:21:41
Liberty Valance. And his vermidons!
:21:52
Liberty Valance taking liberties
with the liberty of the press?
:21:58
- Had your supper yet, Peabody?
- My supper?

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - 00:20

libindi

Tihar Jail
Banned

Shit,indian are going to rape me,i better starting running。

Agni5

BTW historically India never had border issues with Tibet, if few are we (Tibet and India) would solve it coz it is definitely a bilateral issue and not TRILATERAL.

t_co

BTW historically India never had border issues with Tibet, if few are we (Tibet and India) would solve it coz it is definitely a bilateral issue and not TRILATERAL.
Historically, China never had border issues with Kashmir either. Going by your logic, China should present itself as a neutral interlocutor to the UNMOGIP, and negotiate with that for an orderly referendum to be taking across IOK and POK.

Agni5

Historically, China never had border issues with Kashmir either. Going by your logic, China should present itself as a neutral interlocutor to the UNMOGIP, and negotiate with that for an orderly referendum to be taking across IOK and POK.
Being tacticle if i have to choose between kashmir and Tibet i would like to keep Tibet, leaving kashmir, Indian Army will take care of kashmir. there is no need of thermonuclear device in case of pakistan.

Agni5

UN not made for immunity from nuclear warhead.

CCTV

Being tacticle if i have to choose between kashmir and Tibet i would like to keep Tibet, leaving kashmir, Indian Army will take care of kashmir. there is no need of thermonuclear device in case of pakistan.
India don't have thermonuclear weapon even device...

Again, check the yields of your nuclear tests.

MAYURA

Tihar Jail
Banned

the manchu dynasty and dogra kingdom fought a war for kashmir so your assertion is a lie.

mikhail

Country flag

Shit,indian are going to rape me,i better starting running。
....self deleted.....

Last edited:

mikhail

Country flag

India don't have thermonuclear weapon even device...

Again, check the yields of your nuclear tests.
first check your own thermonuclear yields mate babbling gibberish against India!we all know the quality of the chini nuclear devices,its yield is probably even less than 1 Kt!:wave:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Interestingly China has more to lose in any use of nuclear weapons.

They have this paranoia of 'losing face', that they would be the last ones to embrace the idea that they would become international pariahs!

Irresponsible they maybe, aggressive they are, but losing face?

No chance.

They do everything wrong, but are very careful not to become an international pariah!

ice berg

Interestingly China has more to lose in any use of nuclear weapons.

They have this paranoia of 'losing face', that they would be the last ones to embrace the idea that they would become international pariahs!

Irresponsible they maybe, aggressive they are, but losing face?

No chance.

They do everything wrong, but are very careful not to become an international pariah!
Are you saing Indian dont have a face to lose? If no then it is hardly a unique chinese feature.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Are you saing Indian dont have a face to lose? If no then it is hardly a unique chinese feature.
No, we take things in our stride, the thick with the think, and not have all these silly hangups of false ego!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles