China to award prize to rival Nobel

kickok1975

BEIJING – Only three weeks after the idea was first publicly floated, China has cobbled together its own peace prize and plans to award it Thursday — the day before the Nobel Committee honors an imprisoned Chinese dissident in a move that has enraged Beijing.

Since Liu Xiaobo's selection, China has vilified the 54-year-old democracy advocate, called the choice an effort by the West to contain its rise, disparaged his supporters as "clowns," and launched a campaign to persuade countries not to attend Friday's ceremony in Oslo. The government is also preventing Liu — who is serving an 11-year sentence for co-authoring a bold appeal for political reforms in the Communist country — and his family members from attending.

Amid the flurry of action came a commentary published on Nov. 17 in a Communist Party-approved tabloid that suggested China create its own award — the "Confucius Peace Prize" — to counter the choice of Liu.

Three weeks later, The Associated Press has learned, China is doing just that.
Named after the famed philosopher, the new prize was created to "interpret the viewpoints of peace of (the) Chinese (people)," the awards committee said in a statement it released to the AP on Tuesday.

Awards committee chairman Tan Changliu said his group was not an official government body, but acknowledged that it worked closely with the Ministry of Culture. He declined to give specifics about the committee, when it was created and how the five judges were chosen, saying it would be disclosed later.
The first honoree is Lien Chan, Taiwan's former vice president and the honorary chairman of its Nationalist Party, for having "built a bridge of peace between the mainland and Taiwan." A staffer in his Taipei office said she could not comment Tuesday because she knew nothing about the prize.

Lien was chosen from among eight nominees — some of whom are regularly mentioned for, or have already won, that other peace prize: including billionaire Bill Gates, former South African President Nelson Mandela, former U.S. President Jimmy Carter, Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas and the Panchen Lama, the second-highest figure in Tibetan Buddhism.

While China regularly disparages the Dalai Lama, the religion's spiritual leader, the current Panchen Lama is a 20-year-old who was hand-picked by Beijing. The original boy named by the Dalai Lama has disappeared.

"We should not compete, we should not confront the Nobel Prize, but we should try to set up another standard," said Liu Zhiqin, the Beijing businessman who suggested the prize in The Global Times. "The Nobel prize is not a holy thing that we cannot doubt or question. Everyone has a right to dispute whether it's right or wrong." Liu said in the phone interview that he was not involved in setting up the new awards.

Tan, who leads the awards committee, acknowledged that the new prize, which comes with a purse of 100,000 yuan ($15,000), doesn't have international recognition: "It needs to grow gradually, and we hope people will believe the award is of global significance."

China is not the first nation to be rankled by a Nobel Peace Prize. During Nazi Germany era, Adolf Hitler created the German National Prize for Art and Science in 1937 as a replacement for the Nobel. He had forbidden German pacifist Carl von Ossietzky from accepting his Nobel awarded in 1935.

This year, China's clampdown against Liu and his supporters means the Nobel medal and money won't be handed out for the first time since that period. Nobel officials say the prestigious $1.4 million award can be collected only by the laureate or close family members.

In the meantime, China is chipping away at the Nobel: It succeeded in persuading 18 other countries to boycott the upcoming ceremony, including longtime allies like Pakistan, Venezuela and Cuba as well as business partners Saudi Arabia and Iran, Nobel officials said Tuesday.

Beijing sharpened its denunciations, with Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Jiang Yu accusing the Nobel committee of "orchestrating an anti-China farce by themselves."
"We are not changing because of interference by a few clowns and we will not change our path," she said.

But Beijing's hastily arranged efforts to provide a distraction to the Nobel ceremony are counterproductive, said Oxford University China scholar Steve Tsang.
"The whole thing is too obviously being rushed to counter the Nobel Prize to Liu Xiaobo. People will see it for what it is. That being the case, it's not going to be very credible," he said.

If anything, China's heavy-handed reactions in the wake of the announcement, which include putting Liu's wife and other supporters under house arrest and barring dozens of activists from traveling to Oslo, "simply give the rest of the world the impression that human rights is really in trouble in China," he said.

kickok1975

Chinese government recent actions are just like a furious girl screaming about being humiliated. I don't know how much money or benefit they will reward those 18 "cooperative" countries. But this "Confucius Peace Prize" is certainly another way to waste money.

In their eyes Chinese people's hard earned money can be used in whatever way they want to protect their political agenda, and call it "in China's interest", while millions of Chinese are battling with high inflation, outrageous house price, educations and modest standard of living.

Last edited:

badguy2000

Respected Member
Chinese government recent actions are just like a furious girl screaming about being humiliated. I don't know how much money or benefit they will reward those 18 "cooperative" countries. But this "Confucius Peace Prize" is certainly another way to waste money.

In their eyes Chinese people's hard earned money can be used in whatever way they want to protect their political agenda, and call it "in China's interest", while millions of Chinese are battling with high inflation, outrageous house price, educations and modest standard of living.
well ,it is a good idea to set up one "Confucious Award" and marginalize "nobel prize". it is a part of the plan to marginalze west dominance of global medias.

However, such a project should advance after planed well. a harsh rolling out like now should not be reccomanded.

SHASH2K2

well ,it is a good idea to set up one "Confucious Award" and marginalize "nobel prize". it is a part of the plan to marginalze west dominance of global medias.

However, such a project should advance after planed well. a harsh rolling out like now should not be reccomanded.
I completely support your idea and that award must be given to organizartions like Laskar e toiba or JUD the chinese nobel prize for social work and peace. All major rogue countries like Pakistan and N korea will be winner of your so callled Chinese Nobel prize for Rogues.

Last edited:

sob

Mod
Country flag
I think that this is an overreaction from China. Such a reaction from an acknowledged Global Power with the 2nd largest economy is simply not done.

As kickoff1975 put it the reaction is very kiddish, a more dignified silence and ignoring the award function would have been a better idea. This kind of reaction just lets other people know your soft spots.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Oh yes why not... Nobel peace prize to Osama bin laden, literature to his deputy aiman al zawahiri for the great literature he circulates, for chemistry the one who makes bombs using various chemicals. I am sure there will be lots of other deserving candidates for various other awards.

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
China should award the 1st Confucius Prize to their Pak brothers at the ISI, their everlasting ally, and all-weather friend.
The award should go to the ISI and hundreds of terror organizations that they have spawned and for being the world's biggest exporter of terror.

Its always good to know that the Chinese are planning an award to rival the Nobel. Coming from China - it will be an award you can wipe your ass with.
LMAO - this is just too funny.

This story is a measure of just how fvcking dumb these CCP monkeys are

ganesh177

Country flag
Rakhi sawant deserves this "Made in china" Nobel, for empowering the voice of women.

kickok1975

They didn't have such ideal before. They just reacted like a child and make the whole world laughing at them.

Our government is still enjoying so called more than 100 countries and organizations support China to boycott Nobel price while thousands of countries and organizations think otherwise.

badguy2000

Respected Member
They didn't have such ideal before. They just reacted like a child and make the whole world laughing at them.

Our government is still enjoying so called more than 100 countries and organizations support China to boycott Nobel price while thousands of countries and organizations think otherwise.
well, bold rolling-out is better than no rolling-out!

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Ironic that it was Nazi Germany that did the same 75 years back. And Hitler created a prize for arts and science. History repeats itself, and lets hope China dosent shoot herself in her foot doing this.

kickok1975

well, bold rolling-out is better than no rolling-out!
Our propaganda machine will never tell truth to Chinese people. They made ordinary people believe most countries support China except a few "hostile" one. They are stirring up nationalism encourage young people's hate toward foreign force while using those gigantic money cost "achievement or event" to boost their legitimacy to continue rule China

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
China Peace prize????? Very Oxymoron!!

badguy2000

Respected Member
Our propaganda machine will never tell truth to Chinese people. They made ordinary people believe most countries support China except a few "hostile" one. They are stirring up nationalism encourage young people's hate toward foreign force while using those gigantic money cost "achievement or event" to boost their legitimacy to continue rule China
I don't think that most CHinese people are as stupid as you said and will buy CCP's propaganda.
But I also doubt that most Chinese commons are ready to buy what you said.

well, the only effect of CCP's propaganda is to make you believe most CHinese are brainwashed by CCP and needs the preach from "wise guys" like you. haha.

guy, I find that you have a nature impulse to preach other Chinese and take it granted that you are wiser than other Chinese and the moral highground naturally stand by you...

what a pity.

CCP is stupid and take it granted that it is wiser than ordinary CHinese,so you are!

Last edited:

kickok1975

I don't think that most CHinese people are as stupid as you said and will buy CCP's propaganda.

well, the only effect of CCP's propaganda is to make you believe most CHinese are brainwashed by CCP and needs the preach from "wise guys" like you. haha.

guy, I find that you have a nature impulse to preach other Chinese and take it granted that you are wiser than other Chinese and the moral highground naturally stand by you...

what a pity.

CCP is stupid and take it granted that it is wiser than ordinary CHinese,so you are!
What makes you get offended, badguy? Why do you point finger to me? Is it "internal friction" a lot of our fellow people enjoying doing?

I'm no wiser than anyone here. I just present the facts and my thoughts. Being a Chinese lived both in China and overseas for many years, I felt the differences and I have the obligation to tell the truth if I already knew it. No matter you like or not.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
It is perfectly reasonable for China to have its own Prize for whatever it wants to showcase.

It maybe out of pique or for genuine philanthropic or social reasons.

However, it will never have the aura of a Nobel Prize.

Bookers Prize or Pulitzer Prize, which are so prestigious, cannot be compared to the Nobel and so the Chinese Prize will not have the same aura.

It will be just another prize and if the money given is good, will be appreciated as a good one for retirement!

One should not decry the Chinese effort to get better all the time.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

what a pity.

The Propaganda Department of the Communist Party of China, known simply as the Propaganda Department (simplified Chinese: 中共中央宣传部; traditional Chinese: 中共中央宣傳部; pinyin: Zhōnggòng Zhōngyāng Xuānchuánbù), is an internal division of the Communist Party of China in charge of ideology-related work, as well as its propaganda system. It is not formally considered to be part of the Government of the People's Republic of China, but enforces media censorship and control in China, even though no state law explicitly gives it such authority.

The Chinese Propaganda Department has a "direct leadership (lingdao - 领导)" role in the media control system, working with other organizations like the State Administration of Radio, Film, and Television and the General Administration of Press and Publication. Its scope is to control licensing of media outlets, and to give instructions to the media on what is and what is not to be said, especially about certain "delicate" issues, like Taiwan, Tibet, etc., that can affect state security, or the rule of the Communist Party. Its central offices are located in an unmarked building near the Zhongnanhai at 5 West Chang'an Avenue, although the department has offices throughout the country at the provincial, municipal, and county level.

Therefore, the while the Chinese people are not stupid, it still is true that they are subjected to CCP propaganda.

Just visit, next time you are in Beijing, Zhongnanhai at 5 West Chang'an Avenue , which is next to the forbidden city and which houses the central headquarters for the Communist Party of China and the State Council of the People's Republic of China. Do let us know what you discover. It is getting international!!

It is not only that the Chinese people who are believing the propaganda of the CCP, even Pakistanis believe in the same! Therefore, you must commend the CCP's reach in the field of propaganda!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Badguy,

Is it that Kickof who alone is sceptic?

How about this:

Chinese Journalist Condemns Ministry of Propaganda

By Luo Ya
Epoch Times Staff

Chinese journalist Yang Jibin published an article strongly condemning China's Ministry of Propaganda as the hidden hand behind the beating of two journalists. These journalists were attacked when they attempted to follow up on the Badong County waitress' rape case in central China's Hubei Province.

On May 10, a waitress named Deng Yujiao is alleged to have killed one of the three party officials who have been accused of trying to rape her. The case has drawn significant public attention and sympathy in China, while the regime has tried all means to prevent the public backlash from gaining momentum.

Ms. Kong Pu from The Beijing News and Mr. Wei Yi from Nanfang People Weekly, were brutally beaten by Badong County police, while following the case on May 28.

Wei Yi was forced to write a statement admitting he "had conducted an interview without the local authorities' approval." The audio and photo files Wei had made during the interview were also destroyed.

The local regime's actions shocked Chinese media and the public. An interview posted on Beijing's mouthpiece, China National Radio (CNR), the only media reporting the beating incident, was widely picked up by other media that later triggered a massive wave of condemnation and criticism from the public.
orruption

However, the links to CNR's website and other news websites that posted the report were soon disabled. The newspaper companies the two reporters work for have remained silent about the incident.

Ms. Kong's husband, Yang Jibin also works for the Beijing News. He recently blogged a piece entitled "Who Supports Violence" (see below) on his blog condemning the Ministry of Propaganda.

Who Supports the Violence?

Those who bit my wife and her friend were just a few vicious dogs. I know about this and also recognize whose dogs they are.

You have ordered all media to recall all reporters that were in Badong covering the rape case. Deng Guida (one of the three party cadre involved in the rape case and who was killed by Deng) is just a dog you raised. He is your dog. To you, Deng Yujiao's knife not only stabbed and killed your dog; it also cut open the deceptive disguise you have been wearing for several decades. You know this full well and you are scared.

It is exactly because those local thugs knew about your order to suppress the media that they dared to attack reporters. Consequently, the reporters who still persisted and remained in Badong have acted against your order. They clearly knew about it. Therefore, just go ahead and beat people up, because no one will give the thugs a hard time, except for a few rebuttals from the public. You are not afraid of the public's opinions, right? It has been several decades, and when were you ever scared of the public's opinions?

That night, every media was silent, no one dared to report the fact that my wife and her friend were beaten in Badong, for the media are all afraid of you, and for the fact that the two reporters were acting against your order by staying in Badong County.

You are an umbrella for all corrupt officials and evil powers. It is you who has supported violence.

You have won again. Yet, does your winning every time give you peace of mind? Do you feel elated when you achieve a small victory? Do you smile? Do you even remember how to smile? I mean, the look on your face when you were having your mother's milk while resting in her arms when you were a little baby—do you still remember?

I and other journalists will still walk on and fulfill our destiny and accumulate frustrations with optimism. This is something we should endure. I admit that I have seen your victories over and over again. However, they were actually your own struggles, for behind every filthy victory hides a fear and a sense of doom, falling down to the very bottom. You are becoming an enemy over time. Liu Shaoqi (former regime leader) once said that you would be written into history.

Your punishments have already begun. If you accept the view of the famous Russian writer Dostoevsky, you should know that your punishments begin even before you commit your crimes. Is there a day that goes by that you don't live in fear and your deception?

And as for us, we will only love each other more and love this world more. Even a drop of morning dew on a leaf delights us. You just don't understand this kind of feeling.
Link
Here it is in Chinese:

记者杨继斌博文厉声谴责中共操控下的中宣部(网络截图)
大陆媒体人发出最强音 采访邓玉娇案遭殴 同行丈夫发文痛批中宣部

【大纪元6月2日讯】(大纪元记者骆亚综合报导)新京报女记者孔璞和南方人物周刊记者卫毅日前在采访邓玉娇案过程中,遭遇巴东当局野蛮殴打。孔璞的丈夫,新京报的记者杨继斌近日发博文厉声谴责中共操控下的中宣部,是所有贪官以及恶势力的保护伞,而他们绝不低头。他还警告当局惩罚已经开始,每一天都得在恐惧和谎言中度过。该博文也证实了网络上流传的中宣部关于邓玉娇案的密令。

5月28日,采访邓玉娇案的新京报女记者孔璞和南方人物周刊记者卫毅遭遇巴东当局野蛮殴打,卫毅还被强制写下"未经当地批准不得擅自到此采访"çš„书面材料,其采访中获得录音及照片也被强行删除。引起全国舆论界的震惊,唯一报导该事件的中央人民广播电台的新闻稿被快速在各大网络媒体上转载,在全国范围内掀起了新一轮声讨、谴责。

但不久该台很快在自己网站上删除了该新闻报导,同时也有一些网络跟风删除,其它一些保留转载的媒体则将其中的评论部份关闭。而当事记者所属的《新京报》和南方报业下属的《南方都市报》都对记者被殴打一事至今保持沉默,令媒体人和外界感到心寒。

孔璞的丈夫,南方周末的记者杨继斌近日在自己的博客以题《谁支持了暴行》发表文章谴责中共操控下的中宣部,是所有贪官以及恶势力的保护伞。他大骂靠谎言起家的中宣部是恶狗的主子,支持了暴行。

杨继斌博文中直言,中宣部就是打他妻子和朋友的几条恶狗的主子,而邓贵大之流就是中宣部养大的一条狗。中宣部恐慌邓玉娇是因为她的刀子刺穿了涂抹了几十年的谎言。

他博文中明确表示,当孔璞和卫毅从北京出发时,中宣部就已经勒令所有媒体撤回在巴东采访的记者。他认为正因为巴东县的土匪们知道该禁令,所以巴东当局才敢对记者下手。因为媒体都怕中宣部,所以媒体也不会在舆论上给当局压力。

他还认为当局是在与时间为敌,表面上的胜利,其实是挣扎,背后隐藏着恐惧,隐藏着万劫不复。他还警告当局惩罚已经开始,因此每一天都得在恐惧和谎言中度过。他还表示决不低头,自己和同仁将仍然乐观地履行自己的命运。

附全文:

谁支持了暴行

咬我爱人以及朋友的,只是几条恶狗。我知道这一点,并且认得这几条狗是谁养的。

孔璞和卫毅从北京出发时,你就已经勒令所有媒体撤回在巴东采访的记者。邓贵大原本就是你养的。是你家的狗。对你而言,邓玉娇的刀子不只刺死了一条狗,也刺穿了你涂抹了几十年的谎言上。你非常清楚。你怕。

恰因为巴东县的土匪们知道你的禁令,所以他们才敢对记者下手。因为凡是仍然坚守在巴东的记者,都已经违反了你的规定。他们清楚这一点。所以,打吧。因为没有人会找他们麻烦,除了一些民意的反弹。——你们不怕民意,对吧?几十年了,你们何时怕过呢?

晚上,各个平面媒体的消息反馈回来了。没有人敢报导我的爱人和朋友被巴东县野三关镇殴打的事实。因为媒体都怕你。因为,这两个记者都留在巴东,就已经违反了你的规定。

你是所有贪官以及恶势力的保护伞。是你支持了暴行。

你又赢了。可你哪一次赢得不忐忑呢?你会因为你的小小的胜利的得意吗?你会笑吗?你还记得怎么笑吗?我指的是你幼年时在你母亲的怀里饱饮奶水后的表情,你还记得吗?

我以及我的同行们,仍然乐观地履行自己的命运。我们乐观地积累挫折。这是我们应该承受的。我承认,我一次次看到了你的胜利,但其实是你的挣扎。因为你每一个肮脏的胜利背后,都隐藏着一个恐惧,隐藏着万劫不复。你是在与时间为敌。刘少奇说过,你们会被写进历史的。

你的罚已经开始,如果接受陀思妥耶夫斯基的观点,你的罚甚至在你的罪实施之前就已经开始。你哪一天不是在恐惧和谎言中度过的呢?

而我们,只会更加相爱。爱这个世界。那怕清晨一滴叶脉上的露水都让我们欣喜。你不会懂得这种感觉。

(http://www.dajiyuan.com)

SHASH2K2

Only three weeks after the idea was first publicly floated, China has cobbled together its own peace prize and plans to award it Thursday — the day before the Nobel Committee honors an imprisoned Chinese dissident in a move that has enraged Beijing.

Since Liu Xiaobo's selection, China has vilified the 54-year-old democracy advocate, called the choice an effort by the West to contain its rise, disparaged his supporters as "clowns," and launched a campaign to persuade countries not to attend Friday's ceremony in Oslo. The government is also preventing Liu — who is serving an 11-year sentence for co-authoring a bold appeal for political reforms in the Communist country — and his family members from attending.

Amid the flurry of action came a commentary published on Nov. 17 in a Communist Party-approved tabloid that suggested China create its own award — the "Confucius Peace Prize" — to counter the choice of Liu.

Three weeks later, The Associated Press has learned, China is doing just that.

Named after the famed philosopher, the new prize was created to "interpret the viewpoints of peace of (the) Chinese (people)," the awards committee said in a statement it released to the AP on Tuesday.

Awards committee chairman Tan Changliu said his group was not an official government body, but acknowledged that it worked closely with the Ministry of Culture. He declined to give specifics about the committee, when it was created and how the five judges were chosen, saying it would be disclosed later.

The first honoree is Lien Chan, Taiwan's former vice president and the honorary chairman of its Nationalist Party, for having "built a bridge of peace between the mainland and Taiwan." A staffer in his Taipei office said she could not comment Tuesday because she knew nothing about the prize.

Lien was chosen from among eight nominees — some of whom are regularly mentioned for, or have already won, that other peace prize: including billionaire Bill Gates, former South African President Nelson Mandela, former U.S. President Jimmy Carter, Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas and the Panchen Lama, the second-highest figure in Tibetan Buddhism.

While China regularly disparages the Dalai Lama, the religion's spiritual leader, the current Panchen Lama is a 20-year-old who was hand-picked by Beijing. The original boy named by the Dalai Lama has disappeared.

"We should not compete, we should not confront the Nobel Prize, but we should try to set up another standard," said Liu Zhiqin, the Beijing businessman who suggested the prize in The Global Times. "The Nobel prize is not a holy thing that we cannot doubt or question. Everyone has a right to dispute whether it's right or wrong." Liu said in the phone interview that he was not involved in setting up the new awards.

Tan, who leads the awards committee, acknowledged that the new prize, which comes with a purse of 100,000 yuan ($15,000), doesn't have international recognition: "It needs to grow gradually, and we hope people will believe the award is of global significance."

China is not the first nation to be rankled by a Nobel Peace Prize. During Nazi Germany era, Adolf Hitler created the German National Prize for Art and Science in 1937 as a replacement for the Nobel. He had forbidden German pacifist Carl von Ossietzky from accepting his Nobel awarded in 1935.

This year, China's clampdown against Liu and his supporters means the Nobel medal and money won't be handed out for the first time since that period. Nobel officials say the prestigious $1.4 million award can be collected only by the laureate or close family members.

In the meantime, China is chipping away at the Nobel: It succeeded in persuading 18 other countries to boycott the upcoming ceremony, including longtime allies like Pakistan, Venezuela and Cuba as well as business partners Saudi Arabia and Iran, Nobel officials said Tuesday.

Beijing sharpened its denunciations, with Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Jiang Yu accusing the Nobel committee of "orchestrating an anti-China farce by themselves."

"We are not changing because of interference by a few clowns and we will not change our path," she said.

But Beijing's hastily arranged efforts to provide a distraction to the Nobel ceremony are counterproductive, said Oxford University China scholar Steve Tsang.

"The whole thing is too obviously being rushed to counter the Nobel Prize to Liu Xiaobo. People will see it for what it is. That being the case, it's not going to be very credible," he said.

If anything, China's heavy-handed reactions in the wake of the announcement, which include putting Liu's wife and other supporters under house arrest and barring dozens of activists from traveling to Oslo, "simply give the rest of the world the impression that human rights is really in trouble in China," he said.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/artic...07/international/i100910S60.DTL#ixzz17X96AFFK

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles