China: The world's cleverest country?

Tolaha

Simple. Your very statement of your belief was that it is impossible to educate Chinese people about the evils of racism. You are painting an entire ethnic group with your broad brush. Your belief is that it is impossible to educate Chinese people about the importance of morality. The fact that you applied that belief to an entire ethnic group, rather than to a specific individual with whom you are acquainted with, is racism.
ooooh.... So you managed to derive all this from my question to you asking why you werent asking your fellow Chinese any uncomfortable questions, who had, in fact, started all these racists posts. You sir, are a marvel!

Just so that you might have forgotten my "highly offensive, racist post", highlighting it once again:

are you of the firm belief that it is impossible to educate Chinese people and convince them against the evils of racism? I dont agree with you, if you think so!
With charade like these, its difficult to take you seriously!

niharjhatn

As a matter of fact, schools like Berkeley and those above it look very carefully at grades and standardized test scores for admissions. That's not to say that it's the only thing that will make you look good in their eyes, but it certainly is misleading to say it isn't at the top of their criteria. A clear passion (as expressed in your personal statement) for a particular field or career, with admirable beliefs and/or well-calculated reasoning, also helps too. It's really quite logical in that all of those factors define how hard you are willing to work (to varying degrees, depending on the factor in question). As always though, being well rounded is a benefit, but that doesn't mean that B students in high school get into Berkeley. The exception to that rule would be if you were a B student at an elite prep/private/boarding/magnet school. If you went to an average public school, you better have stellar grades and standardized test scores.
As a non-US citizen who had applied to UC Berkeley, I remember reading the top letter of the admission package conveying something to that degree - essentially saying that we don't care about grades.

Standards were, obviously, kept, but I remember reading a lot more emphasis was placed on the 'human' side of things rather than the ridiculously low SAT criteria.

Pretty much all international students whom I'd had seen apply were getting perfect or close to perfect SAT and subject test scores, so it is quite obvious (for us at least) that was not the issue...

kickok1975

Chinese people are smart, no doubt. But smart people are living everywhere, not only in China. We certainly can't claim that top one title as long as our education system still instructs "slave" mentality, promoting ruling party's agenda instead of encouraging innovational thinking.

Last edited:

ice berg

My post was hardly racist, but staying quiet over racism(specially from your own countrymen) would be equivalent to condoning it.
I have to agree with you on this, ignorant , but hardly racist.

cir

As expected, some Indians are livid at the news, which is the whole point of posting the article in the first place。

So bloody predictable!:rofl:

trackwhack

Have to say that CCP has opened a Line of Credit for BBC. Several China ass kissing articles of late. The Brits sure are broke.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
No, it is a comment on their xerox technique and complete lack of original thought.

mylegend

I have stated before, don't even bother to reply to Armand2Rep. He can't even understand how Central Bank interest rate effect the economy. Seriously, I saw he ask question on another thread about how does interest rate effect inflation.

If any member here actually bother to reply to this man's comment, he must be too kind. I mean you are trying to talk to a man that failed economic 101.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I asked the question? No... I answered the question. As a micro-economist, I think I know how it works... :rolleyes:

pmaitra

China: The world's cleverest country?

By Sean Coughlan
BBC News education correspondent

This is the most extensive insight into how China's school standards compare with other countries

China's results in international education tests - which have never been published - are "remarkable", says Andreas Schleicher, responsible for the highly-influential Pisa tests.

High school students shout slogans such as "I must go to college" in a pre-exam event in Nanjing

"Even in rural areas and in disadvantaged environments, you see a remarkable performance."

In particular, he said the test results showed the "resilience" of pupils to succeed despite tough backgrounds - and the "high levels of equity" between rich and poor pupils.
On a recent trip to a poor province in China, he says he saw that schools were often the most impressive buildings.

He says in the West, it is more likely to be a shopping centre.

"You get an image of a society that is investing in its future, rather than in current consumption."

There were also major cultural differences when teenagers were asked about why people succeeded at school.

"North Americans tell you typically it's all luck. 'I'm born talented in mathematics, or I'm born less talented so I'll study something else.'

"In Europe, it's all about social heritage: 'My father was a plumber so I'm going to be a plumber'.

"In China, more than nine out of 10 children tell you: 'It depends on the effort I invest and I can succeed if I study hard.'
GLOBAL EDUCATION RANKINGS

Pisa tests are taken by 15-year-olds in reading, maths and science. Previous leaders in these subjects:

• 2000: Finland, Japan, South Korea
  • 2003: Finland, Hong Kong, Finland
  • 2006: South Korea, Taipei, Finland
  • 2009: Shanghai, Shanghai, Shanghai
"Education is a field dominated by beliefs and traditions, it's inward looking. As a system you can find all kinds of excuses and explanations for not succeeding.

"The idea of Pisa was to take away all the excuses.
"It was giving the disadvantaged child an excuse - you come from a poor background, so we'll lower the horizon for you, we'll make it easier.

"But that child has still got to compete in a national labour market.

"This concept of 'fairness' is deeply unfair - because by making life easier for children from difficult circumstances, we lower their life chances."
Mr Schleicher says it's a philosophical difference - expecting all pupils to make the grade, rather than a "sorting mechanism" to find a chosen few.

He says anyone can create an education system where a few at the top succeed, the real challenge is to push through the entire cohort.
Read full article: BBC News - China: The world's cleverest country?

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Children in the West go to school in shopping centres? :rofl:

satish007

All Chinese have to compete from 3 years old.
unlike India, almost 3000 years. Chinese have been suffering from disaster,hungry,chaos and all kinds of enemy,invaders.

but things are changing, more and more young are not welling working hard.
Chinese soon will not that mad as before.

pmaitra

Hello KickOk1975,

Good to see you back, and nice avatar too. :)

How have you been?

kickok1975

I don't know if China is the cleverest country. But I'm pretty sure Chinese parents are probably the No.1 parent in the world who is willing to invest most in their children. No matter poor or rich, no matter where they live, every Chinese parent will do their best to provide education for their children. Even it means to take load of debt, personal sacrifice, or lifestyle change. Because they know without a living skill and education, there will be no future for their kids in a severely competitive Chinese society, not to mention so many injustices exist.

Chinese teacher played a big role too. They are traditionally highly regarded and are respected sometimes as an informal parent. When I was young, my teacher used to come to visit my family every month. They spend a lot of time with students and pay attention to the details. I'm still grateful for what my teacher did to me: help me change from a naughty boy into one of the best in the class. I miss them

satish007

looks more and more CHinese forumers are coming back from Euopean Cup, where is cir?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles