China sweeps aside civilians in rush for hydropower

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Of India's 1.2 billion people, one-fourth are "untouchables." Ninety-five percent of all Dalit women are illiterate.

What is so earth shaking about illiteracy and rights?
Maybe that is what is wrong with India. A retired brigadier thinks it is nothing earth shaking that one in four people are considered untouchables and that 95 percent of Dalit women are illiterate.
No wonder the number is like that.

Shining India.
My good man, I was for three decades in a so called Dalit Regiment, just for your information.

Untouchability?

If it were so rampant as you would gleefully delude to entertain your ignorance of India, then we would not have so many Dalits in top positions in Govt and otherwise.

Nor would there be the growing numbers of Dalit millionaires!

Do let us know how many Hui or of the 55 minority in top jobs in China or are millionaries.

Since, you all love, eat, sleep and dream in statistics, do let us know it in percentage of your population!

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
How can you claim that it is dishonest to claim that majority of them will have no elevation in social ranks. The numbers does not lie.
I am saying they can. As in- if they are able to avail state benefits, they will be able to progress. Those numbers reflect nothing, actually. The number of SC's and St's in any STEM college alone, would give you an idea how the things are changing.

I will argue the disrimination are more a social issue. You can change laws, but peoples perception is alot harder to change.
Not really, laws got rid of a lot of social injustices, as long as social bias does not manifest itself in behavior (out of fear of law or otherwise) it does not matter.

THe problem in China is that the judical branch is subjected to the party.
Which can be traced back to the very nature of polity in China. Like it or not, China is an authoritarian state. I don't know why Chinese citizens deny that in this forum and others. China has in the past shown that lives of a few poor people is insignificant when it comes to the state achieving it's objective. The worst part is, people do not have an option to fight. India for all it's flaws has an independent judiciary and there is always somewhere you can go if the government as wronged you, this is essential in a democracy.

----------

Edit:

It seems we have veered off-topic, I will not be continuing the Dalit discussion henceforth.

Last edited:

bennedose

So you are saying because the paper didnt provide figures, then it is whitewash? Was it within their mandate? Was the numbers avaiable? Where are those numbers coming from? Would you believe them if it was provided by CCP? Who else can provide the numbers ?Are all of your references whitewash because they didnt provided all the numbers? Was your statements whitewash because you didnt have the numbers either?
Thank you for comparing my credibility with that of an academic paper that you endorse. You are making my argument for me. The paper is no more credible in parts than I am because of lack of relevant information that I want. I will of course get the information I want from whatever source I can, but you may or may not like those sources - so I am not pushing the case of credibility. You have yourself stated that the paper can go only so far. I am also saying that the paper has only gone so far. As far as the information that I want goes - it is a whitewash. As much of a whitewash as my own statements

Of course the problems is huge. China is a huge country after all. Nobody is denying the problems. Is this a social experiment? perheps, but what other solutions are there? Urbanization is not unique for China. The scale is unique because of the size.
Agreed. And it is a social experiment.

Moving a few millions people in a course of a few decades may be easy, Moving hundred millions of people in a span of 20 years are something entirely.
I thought you said they are moving on their own for a better life. The paper you posted says there are huge problems but still the movement is being encouraged by the government. Should I believe you or the paper? If the paper is right why are people being moved in this manner?

Do you regret that your ancestors moved from country side to the city?
My ancestors are irrelevant. Wealthy Indians have a choice of moving from city to country and country to city as and when they feel like it. Is this choice available to wealthy Chinese? Is anyone entitled to own private land in China?

Poor rural Indians are allowed to retain rural landholdings even if they move to the city. Rural city workers regularly work in cities and move back to the village for festivals, harvests and family functions. Is a similar choice available for Chinese?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles