China sweeps aside civilians in rush for hydropower

bennedose

Excellent. So China does have protests and the government does back down. Interesting to me. Thanks for posting. That is one protest. I will keep watching.

Where did the Uranium reprocessing plant go finally?

The Kudankulam power plant is now producing power and the power is being fed into the Sothern grid. My laptop was probably charged using the power form Kudankulam. The protestors did not have their way in Kudankulam. Do Chinese protestors always have their way? Or does the government back down every time? Are there any examples at all in China where the government did not back down?

ice berg

We have a difference of opinion here. What is useful to you is not necessarily useful to me

So what? No need to get defensive and start fillingt the thread with negative things about India. Clearly Chinese cannot stand it if ANYTHING negative is said about China - a fact that encourages me to push buttons to see how you guys react

Good try. But no use. You are long on advice but nevertheless very defensive about anything negative about China. You live in the same glass house - you did say negative things happen everywhere -. What makes Chinese so extra anxious to avoid anything negative being said? Clearly there is something extraordinary going on. And I will continue to see exactly what makes you Chinese so sooo upset

Useful to you and me might be different. It's called difference of opinion - something that no Chinese poster on here is able to tolerate.
You are the ones getting defensive here. It is not hard to post threads with negative things about India. Looking through the India and China section, it is quite obvious who is the insecure ones here.

I have better use of my time than to posting negative news about India and flamebait there.

Just like you are free to post those news on China, I am free to comment how I perceived those topics.

We will just have to disagree on the educational values.

amoy

Excellent. So China does have protests and the government does back down. Interesting to me. Thanks for posting. That is one protest. I will keep watching.

Where did the Uranium reprocessing plant go finally?

The Kudankulam power plant is now producing power and the power is being fed into the Sothern grid. My laptop was probably charged using the power form Kudankulam. The protestors did not have their way in Kudankulam. Do Chinese protestors always have their way? Or does the government back down every time? Are there any examples at all in China where the government did not back down?
Of course Chinese gvmt doesn't back down always. Back to the initial post on DAMS despite great debates, and protests on environmental damages, land acquisition, forced emigration... etc. they have been built anyway.

There're many opposing to DAMs, but certainly many also welcoming them. Like I posted, Wuhan in particular is no longer suffering from floods

Nanjing

Wuhan

Chongqing

What do u think? Do u fancy BJP or UPA can please everybody? Or will still use euphemisms like "consent and consensus" below to cover up their non-performance or more straightforwardly "incompetence"??

India faces many of the same problems as China, but has taken a far slower "consent and consensus" route. This allows internal security to be easier and less coercive because internal policies are not forced.

bennedose

You are the ones getting defensive here. It is not hard to post threads with negative things about India. Looking through the India and China section, it is quite obvious who is the insecure ones here.

I have better use of my time than to posting negative news about India and flamebait there.

Just like you are free to post those news on China, I am free to comment how I perceived those topics.

We will just have to disagree on the educational values.
Well it is OK to get defensive when criticized. The right to defence is a fundamental right in many countries. Don't know about China. But it is denial that I am pointing out. I am defensive when I need to be and am able to point it out when you or someone else is defensive. No harm in that. One is allowed to be defensive. But why denial? Why change the subject from China's problems to India's problems?

I find it quite funny to read your statement that you "have better use of my time than to posting negative news about India and flamebait there. ". That is a white lie because you have plenty of time to read up negative news about India (which is due to a free uncensored Indian press) and you make the time to post it in a thread about China simply to change the subject. No. I take that back. It's not just you. A lot of Chinese posters do EXACTLY that. They all have time to post negative news about India on any thread where something negative is said about China. That is not being defensive. It may be termed as being offensive - but at its core it is denial. Why are Chinese trying to deny and deflect all criticism? Is "being defensive" a shameful thing for Chinese? Is it seen as an "admission of guilt"? Is that how justice works for Chinese?

Last edited:

bennedose

India is a democracy, buddy!
Yes and in a democracy different parties are allowed to rule and people are allowed to pick and choose a different party if they do not like the last one that was in power. And India's parties often bend to protests to stay in power. This sometimes works, but it sometimes fails and the party gets kicked out of power.

There is an interesting connection between this and the news item posted above regarding the Chinese protest that stopped a Uranium enrichment plant. Let me quote:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...orcing-nuclear-retreat-shows-people-power.htm
Party's Survival

President Xi Jinping, who is also head of the ruling Communist Party of China, said last month that "winning or losing public support is an issue that concerns the CPC's survival or extinction," according to a June 18 report by the official Xinhua News Agency. Xi spoke at a conference about a yearlong campaign starting in the second half of this year to improve ties between the party and the people, Xinhua said.

Heshan authorities backed down over the 37 billion yuan ($6 billion) uranium-processing project a day after more than 1,000 demonstrators rallied outside government offices in Jiangmen city, which administers Heshan. China National Nuclear Corp. and China General Nuclear Power Group had planned to build the 229-hectare (566-acre) plant to enrich uranium and fabricate fuel, according to an earlier statement on the Jiangmen government's website.
In China there is a single party that wants to stay in power. There are no elections to change the party so the party worries about its power only when there is risk of rebellion. Not simple protests. Note what Xi Jinping aid. It is about the party's survival. Why would Xi be afraid that the party would not survive if it lost power.

Methinks that is a Freudian slip. The party knows damn well that they have to stay in power. Only rebellion can kick them out and they will do anything to prevent rebellion. Sometimes they will listen to the people. At other times they will simply stamp out protests. The party MUST stay in power - that is what your top leader says.

That is the difference between democracy and China. The power center in China has a huge stake in staying in power and nothing short of revolution can pull it down. There can be no competition. How's that for a system that pretends that everyone is equal? That means that no one who dislikes the party can survive in China.

Now please don't go into denial and change the subject to talk about India. We all know India''s faults. I want to know how the Chinese tolerate this one party? Are there no differences of opinion in China? Are 1.3 billion people all happy and satisfied. That would be very unusual indeed.

Last edited:

bennedose

What do u think? Do u fancy BJP or UPA can please everybody? Or will still use euphemisms like "consent and consensus" below to cover up their non-performance or more straightforwardly "incompetence"??
Now Now! You are trying to wriggle away from uncomfortable issues about China by simply changing the subject.

Remember the story about the torn shirt and open fly.

The Indian tells the Chinese, "Hey your fly is open"

The Chinese responds "But your shirt is torn"

Both are facts. The Chinese has an open fly. The Indian has a torn shirt. But talking about the torn shirt will not cure or change the open Chinese fly.

Changing the subject to India every time anyone talks about China's myriad problems does not make them go away. It is merely denial and stonewalling? What is it with the Chinese that makes you do this? Why are you guys so afraid of facing facts? You guys do it so predictably - that I am tempted to think there is some sort of indoctrination. It's like a computer program. Robotic efficiency. No change. Say something negative about China and every single Chinese starts talking about negative things in India. Why are you guys in denial?

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
There is no doubt that the Chinese are blind & do not have the honesty to explain the negative issues of China.

Instead as was mentioned, the Chinese counter it with some issues of India.

And then they wail & rant.

bennedose

:shocked: Gosh what a hideous monstrosity! Where are all the trees? Anything green there is green paint. This is an open invitation for pollution. And check the colour of that water.Is this supposed to be a picture of something good in China? Wow. I can't begin to imagine what is bad.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I presume trees are not essential.

It is a concrete jungle.

A jungle & I am sure happy by their standards.

ice berg

Well it is OK to get defensive when criticized. The right to defence is a fundamental right in many countries. Don't know about China. But it is denial that I am pointing out. I am defensive when I need to be and am able to point it out when you or someone else is defensive. No harm in that. One is allowed to be defensive. But why denial? Why change the subject from China's problems to India's problems?

Kindly point out the denial part.
I find it quite funny to read your statement that you "have better use of my time than to posting negative news about India and flamebait there. ". That is a white lie because you have plenty of time to read up negative news about India (which is due to a free uncensored Indian press) and you make the time to post it in a thread about China simply to change the subject. No. I take that back. It's not just you. A lot of Chinese posters do EXACTLY that. They all have time to post negative news about India on any thread where something negative is said about China. That is not being defensive. It may be termed as being offensive - but at its core it is denial. Why are Chinese trying to deny and deflect all criticism? Is "being defensive" a shameful thing for Chinese? Is it seen as an "admission of guilt"? Is that how justice works for Chinese?
No idea what you talking about. You may take a look at the China related topics in this section and compare to how many times me or anyone else here posted about India.
More often than not it is because the silly indian inferiority complex getting out of hand. You still havnt explained exactly how is pointing out things are worse in India the same as denial. From my point of view it is simply dont throw stones when you live in a glass house. It got nothing to do with denial.

You really think people who live or have lived in China needs some Toi news to point out negative sides of China? seriously?

amoy

:shocked: Gosh what a hideous monstrosity! Where are all the trees? Anything green there is green paint. This is an open invitation for pollution. And check the colour of that water.Is this supposed to be a picture of something good in China? Wow. I can't begin to imagine what is bad.
oooops u seem not getting the drift - without the hydropower pertaining to the thread people living in the "jungle" can't survive a day. without flood control by the dam the fabulous Wuhan jungle would hv been overrun by flood (u didn't pick those other pics I posted on floods) every year as a routine.

also I pinpointed that there was no "consent and consensus" according to the protesters against Kudan KUlam nuclear plant unlike "Indian route" u bluffed out of thin air. ironically u're probably sitting in a"jungle" able to text me thanks to power supply from Kudan.

never will people be able to tell negatives or positives without reference and comparison as everything is relative. so it's no wiggling away from uncomfortables in China or India. instead it's inevitable to put India side by side upfront to showcase alternatives. it's like asking Indian posters not only to display the problems but also to point out solutions and insights as deduced from your own success stories.

Sent from my 5910 using Tapatalk 2

bennedose

oooops u seem not getting the drift - without the hydropower pertaining to the thread people living in the "jungle" can't survive a day. without flood control by the dam the fabulous Wuhan jungle would hv been overrun by flood (u didn't pick those other pics I posted on floods) every year as a routine.
Fair enough. So you are saying that the Three Gorges dam protects Wuhan from floods. Good show. Why was Wuhan built on a flood plain in the first place? In India flooding of areas of cities that occur as a routine (as opposed to occasional freak weather related flooding) are usually related to corrupt practices where low lying lake areas are built upon or inefficient drainage systems.

China has a policy of changing the profile of the population shifting rural people to urban areas. This means more cities, more concrete jungles where the demand for electricity is higher and trees and soil are covered over by concrete. Groundwater recharging does not occur and polluted water is discharged to other areas.

Why is China following such a policy?

Last edited:

bennedose

. You still havnt explained exactly how is pointing out things are worse in India the same as denial.?
You didn't ask. None of you Chinese posters want to answer questions about what is wrong in China. If you get defensive that is fine because many things cannot be easily defended. But it is responding to criticism of China by changing the subject to Indian problems that is denial. I will keep on pointing that out as it happens. Every time uncomfortable facts about China are discussed the policy is to change the subject to something that happens in India

Let's see if you guys can stop this denial and deflection of the topic from China.. And as for the questions I ask - I will ask them again because they keep coming up and lets see what sort of response is there.

ice berg

You didn't ask. None of you Chinese posters want to answer questions about what is wrong in China. If you get defensive that is fine because many things cannot be easily defended. But it is responding to criticism of China by changing the subject to Indian problems that is denial. I will keep on pointing that out as it happens. Every time uncomfortable facts about China are discussed the policy is to change the subject to something that happens in India

Let's see if you guys can stop this denial and deflection of the topic from China.. And as for the questions I ask - I will ask them again because they keep coming up and lets see what sort of response is there.
Follow your line of logic, pointing out the negative sides of China while things are worse in India is a form for denial as well.

Therefore I will keep post negative things about India whenever I feel the China bashing gets out of hand.

You are free to do the same.

There is enough shit in China and India to dig for both of us. Jaihind!

ice berg

China has a policy of changing the profile of the population shifting rural people to urban areas. This means more cities, more concrete jungles where the demand for electricity is higher and trees and soil are covered over by concrete. Groundwater recharging does not occur and polluted water is discharged to other areas.

Why is China following such a policy?
I assume you have never heard about urbanization? The difference is China started this way later than western powers.

Farewell to Peasant China: Rural Urbanization and Social Change in the Late twentieth centry edited by Gregory Eliyu Guldin.

Not that you ever gonna pick up that book cause like rest of your countrymen, you are only here to score some cheap shoots.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
When the question is asked, "Which countries have a totalitarian government?", the first one which always comes to people's mind is ... China.

What Countries Have a Totalitarian Government Today - Ask.com

Chinese on DFI are oblivious to what the free world thinks of them, but they think they can come here and give lectures on any subject.

Perhaps some day they may see the truth.

ice berg

When the question is asked, "Which countries have a totalitarian government?", the first one which always comes to people's mind is ... China.

What Countries Have a Totalitarian Government Today - Ask.com

Chinese on DFI are oblivious to what the free world thinks of them, but they think they can come here and give lectures on any subject.

Perhaps some day they may see the truth.
Too much Fox news will likely damage brain cells.

When the question is asked: "Which countries have a totalitarian government?" the first one which always comes to peoples mind is.....Iran in the days of Shah, Iraq in days of Saddam, Imelda Marcos of Philipine,. All of them dictators supported by US government.

Want a more recent exemple? What about Saudi Arabia?
So save us your crap about totalitarian government. Your government never give a damn.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Too much Fox news will likely damage brain cells.

When the question is asked: "Which countries have a totalitarian government?" the first one which always comes to peoples mind is.....Iran in the days of Shah, Iraq in days of Saddam, Imelda Marcos of Philipine,. All of them dictators supported by US government.

Want a more recent exemple? What about Saudi Arabia?
So save us your crap about totalitarian government. Your government never give a damn.
Yes, other countries are totalitarian. But the foremost among them in people's minds is ... China.

bennedose

I assume you have never heard about urbanization? The difference is China started this way later than western powers.

Farewell to Peasant China: Rural Urbanization and Social Change in the Late twentieth centry edited by Gregory Eliyu Guldin.

Not that you ever gonna pick up that book cause like rest of your countrymen, you are only here to score some cheap shoots.
Now don't get sore about questions. The tone of your reply sounds like you are irritated with the question - especially where you ask whether I have heard about urbanization. That is not an intelligent answer - and I don't mind if you don't have an answer - but a non answer that sounds like a cop out made by an ignorant person is useless. No need to get angry. If you don't know just say so. It is not shameful to not know everything on earth.

Yes I have heard of urbanization.

Let me state my question more clearly.

Urbanization in the USA did not occur due to government forced/sponsored migration of people to urban areas. Cities had industries and jobs and the migration was economic in the sense that people went for the jobs and living until the US achieved about 80:20 Urban:Rural ratio

Urbanization is an unavoidable phenomenon, but it is not forced by governments. It is "people led". In India rural people migrate to the cities for economic reasons - and end up living in slums and temporary shacks. The government is not forcing them to come, but the government is not stopping them either. India has changed from 20:60 Urban-Rural ratio in the 1960s to about 35:65 now. I am not sure that the USA's 80:20 ratio is good for India

Urbanization brings with it some social issues including shortage of clean water supply, garbage disposal, sewage treatment and disposal, pubic transport overcrowding, loss of green cover, loss of natural water bodies, ground water level reduction and groundwater pollution and air pollution.

What are Chinese authorities doing to cope with these issues? Why is there forced urbanization despite the fact that urbanization and the creation concrete megacities per se is not a proven or great solution for increasing environmental, water and energy issues?

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles