China, Sri Lanka vow to enhance cooperation

JAYRAM

2 STRIKE CORPS
(Source: Xinhua) 2011-06-18

ST. PETERSTBURG, Russia, June 17 (Xinhua) -- Chinese President Hu Jintao said Friday that China is ready to join hands with Sri Lanka to lift the all-round cooperative partnership between the two countries to a new height.

Hu made the remarks when exchanging views with Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapakse on Friday afternoon on further expanding bilateral links.

Hu said that the two nations are trustworthy friends and partners who have gone through difficult times together.

In recent years, China-Sri Lanka relations have kept up the momentum for healthy and stable development with exchanges and cooperation deepening in various areas, he said.

Hu emphasized that the two countries should increase high-level contact, expand intergovernmental exchanges between their government departments, political parties and local governments and boost personnel exchanges at all levels.

Hu said that the two sides need to continue to promote bilateral trade and economic cooperation and carry out major cooperative projects.

The Chinese government encourages Chinese enterprises to invest and set up businesses in Sri Lanka, he said.

Hu pointed out that cultural exchanges are an important part of China-Sri Lanka relations.

China welcomes more Sri Lankan students to study in China and will continue to encourage Chinese tourists to set Sri Lanka as their destination, he said.

China is ready to maintain coordination and cooperation with Sri Lanka on regional and international affairs, Hu said.

He said China will, as always, support the efforts that Sri Lanka has made to safeguard its independence, sovereignty and territorial integrity.

Rajapakse, for his part, thanked China for its long-term support for Sri Lanka's economic and social development.

He said that Sir Lanka-China relations are based on mutual respect, mutual trust and friendship.

With joint efforts, bilateral ties have made remarkable progress, he added.

The Sri Lankan side stands ready to work with China to advance their traditional friendship, expand pragmatic cooperation and strengthen cooperation on regional and international issues, Rajapakse said.

He said Sri Lanka will continue to support China's drive to safeguard its own core interests.

Hu arrived in St. Petersburg on Friday morning from Moscow for the opening ceremony of the St. Petersburg International Economic Forum, at which Hu delivered a keynote speech.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/china/2011-06/17/c_13936309.htm

englishwind

Sri Lanka is a mysterious country relative India and Pakistan to most chinese ,although which is called east Pakistan, i can't find more similarity than their common religion belief.perhaps china want get next jetton to restrict the indian influence and get more interest in south asian.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
when the shit hits the fan the lankans would quite predictably stay neutral otherwise none could save them when our guns are aimed towards them.

till that time they can 'talk' all they want and loud chinese friendship just so they can get a better deal from us.

nimo_cn

Country flag
when the shit hits the fan the lankans would quite predictably stay neutral otherwise none could save them when our guns are aimed towards them.

till that time they can 'talk' all they want and loud chinese friendship just so they can get a better deal from us.
Why will you aim your guns towards Sri Lanka when they have done nothing wrong? No wonder your neighbors don't get along with you.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

huaxia rox

doing business is a good thing. i know some indians just cant get over it feeling for LTTE or at least tamils in lanka. but anyway sri lanka didnt invade india so if indians really want to influence sri lanka u should try to do the same thing like chinese (unless u really do like to).

wars gone.........in any single war innocent people get killed in different ways by different soldiers. LTTE also did terrible things but i respect them somehow coz they at least fought to the last 1 no matter if their cause was just.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Can India intervene in Sri Lanka? Your cited article can be a good excuse. The opening propaganda salvo should read like this: "India, human rights defender of the whole of South Asia, to stop genicide of Tamils." Sounds a worthwhile project to me, just so we can validate India's indpenedent defense prowess...
An intervention in Sri Lanka is unlikely because the Sri Lankan gov't has the backing of the Indian gov't.

We sent 100,000 troops to Sri Lanka back in the 80s, but Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi was assasinated because of it.

Oracle

Why will you aim your guns towards Sri Lanka when they have done nothing wrong? No wonder your neighbors don't get along with you.
You know nothing about nothing. One more reason why you are a troll.

Illusive

Country flag
but neighboring countries of china get along with it,isn't it? not fight whatsoever, no territory disputes or no threats to other nation either.

nimo_cn

Country flag
but neighboring countries of china get along with it,isn't it? not fight whatsoever, no territory disputes or no threats to other nation either.
I never said that.

I acknowledged the fact that China is having a troubling neighborhood long time ago, unlike Indians who act as if they are the real leaders in the sub-continent. Aim your guns towards Sri Lanka, hilarious.

Country flag
I never said that.

I acknowledged the fact that China is having a troubling neighborhood long time ago, unlike Indians who act as if they are the real leaders in the sub-continent. Aim your guns towards Sri Lanka, hilarious.
atleast thousands of missiles are not aimed at it like Taiwan or South Korea/Japan(via proxy)

huaxia rox

well if the US didnt set up airbase etc in japan or SK then why would PRC do this...who is trying to launch a proxy war? ultimately if the US were not there PRC would not even bother to consider nations or districts like Japan SK taiwan worth dealing with in a serious way.

but anyway we never threaten to do anything to Japan and SK if they dont mean to attack us or let the US do so via their lands after the cold war. we never threaten to do anything to taiwan if they dont go independent.

and i think sri lanka never tried to invade india did they?

JAYRAM

2 STRIKE CORPS
But I know it is wrong to threaten other people by aiming your guns towards them for no good cause.
nimo, dont you know the inhuman things done by Srilankan army in fight against LTTE. Recently UN released a report saying Srilankan army has done dangerous war crimes, raping and killing little girls, women, mothers, shooting people from back to death after telling people to sit in a row with their hands tied after surrendering, etc.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
well if the US didnt set up airbase etc in japan or SK then why would PRC do this...who is trying to launch a proxy war? ultimately if the US were not there PRC would not even bother to consider nations or districts like Japan SK taiwan worth dealing with in a serious way.

but anyway we never threaten to do anything to Japan and SK if they dont mean to attack us or let the US do so via their lands after the cold war. we never threaten to do anything to taiwan if they dont go independent.

and i think sri lanka never tried to invade india did they?
Have you even heard of the LTTE problem and how they killed one of our PMs?

The CCP is a bully, it bullies other nations unfairly thats why US based itself in the region because it was trying to spread Maoism or Communism by force over South Korea by supporting North Korea, Invade Taiwan etc., We Indians dont have anything against the people of China. If anything we want to better our relations but with the current regime they dont seem to like us that well.

nimo_cn

Country flag
Talking about LTTE, the ironical thing is India used to support LTTE until LTTE reciprocated by killing Indian PM in 1991.

Maybe some Indian members here can shed some light on why LTTE hated India so much despite the generous support from India.

JAYRAM

2 STRIKE CORPS
Talking about LTTE, the ironical thing is India used to support LTTE until LTTE reciprocated by killing Indian PM in 1991.

Maybe some Indian members here can shed some light on why LTTE hated India so much despite the generous support from India.
India never supported LTTE, India only wanted Srilanka to treat its ethnic tamils in srilanka with every rights and protect their lives against suppression, abuse by Srilanka. LTTE also waged war against Srilanka for this. But it is India that send the biggest army then to support Srilankan army against LTTE and to protect ethnic tamils. It is for this one of our PM's got killed by LTTE......i think my belief is true..

satish007

But it is India that send the biggest army then to support Srilankan army against LTTE and to protect ethnic tamils. It is for this one of our PM's got killed by LTTE......i think my belief is true..
sometimes Peacekeeping is dangerous.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles