China Shifting Nuclear Rules Of Engagement: Report

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
China Shifting Nuclear Rules Of Engagement: Report

TOKYO - The Chinese military would consider a pre-emptive nuclear strike if it had no other way to defend itself in a war against another nuclear-armed state, Kyodo News said Jan. 5, citing Chinese documents.

The policy, called "Lowering the threshold of nuclear threats" may indicate a shift from China's pledge not to first fire nuclear weapons under any circumstances, the report said.

It may also fan concern in the United States, Japan and other regional powers, according to the Japanese news agency which obtained the internal documents.

The Chinese military's strategic missile forces, the Second Artillery Corps, would "adjust" its policy if another nuclear state conducts air strikes against Chinese targets "with absolutely superior conventional weapons," the document says, according to Kyodo.

China would first warn an adversary about a nuclear strike, but if the enemy attacks China with conventional forces, the Chinese military "must carefully consider" a pre-emptive nuclear strike, Kyodo said.

The documents suggest that the Second Artillery Corps educate its personnel in worst-case scenarios, Kyodo said, adding that it is rare for information on China's nuclear policy to come to light.

U.S. military experts have argued since around 2007 that Beijing may have shown signs of altering its pledge of no first use of nuclear weapons, Kyodo said.

But in a sign of warming ties as the region contends with the threat of a nuclear-armed North Korea, U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates is scheduled to arrive in China on Jan. 9, the Pentagon announced in December.

The Pentagon said Gates will travel to China on the invitation of his Chinese counterpart, one year after Beijing broke off military relations with Washington in protest against a multibillion-dollar U.S. arms package for rival Taiwan.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
may be China will do pre-emptive nuclear strike on Pakistan. Pakistan too is nuke arm country in its neighbour

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
TOKYO - The Chinese military would consider a pre-emptive nuclear strike if it had no other way to defend itself in a war against another nuclear-armed state, Kyodo News said Jan. 5, citing Chinese documents.

The policy, called "Lowering the threshold of nuclear threats" may indicate a shift from China's pledge not to first fire nuclear weapons under any circumstances, the report said.

The Chinese military's strategic missile forces, the Second Artillery Corps, would "adjust" its policy if another nuclear state conducts air strikes against Chinese targets "with absolutely superior conventional weapons," the document says, according to Kyodo
http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=5380627&c=ASI&s=AIR

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
That is the reason why they are shifting their policy of FIRST STRIKE.........

Dragon is fearing the TIGER

JustForLaughs

^ LOL yeah ok.

back to reality: wow seems i must make it more noticeable

Beijing: 'No first nuke strike' policy stays put
(Agencies)
Updated: 2011-01-07 12:58
Comments(0) PrintMail
Large Medium Small

BEIJING - China Foreign Ministry on Thursday reaffirmed the country's commitment to not pre-emptively using nuclear weapons.

Ministry spokesman Hong Lei was responding to a report by Japan's Kyodo News agency saying China would consider launching a pre-emptive nuclear strike in extreme circumstances. Kyodo said the policy was laid out in secret Chinese documents it had obtained, but did not say when they were written or by whom.

"From the first day China possessed nuclear weapons, the Chinese government has solemnly pledged never to be the first to use nuclear weapons at any time or under any circumstances and has always strictly adhered to this pledge," Hong told reporters at a regularly scheduled news conference.

"The relevant report is completely baseless and has ulterior motives," Hong said.

China conducted its first nuclear bomb test in 1964.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2011-01/07/content_11808751.htm

Last edited:

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
This policy will make China look independent of Pakistan; as China's nuclear weapon proxy against India.

This policy indicates China self loosening its grip and say over Pakistani nuclear weapon posture.

BTW i am not surprised, in last two years Chinese are more forthcoming, openly displaying and boasting about their capabilities which was not the case before.

How America will react to this policy is not going to be dramatic anymore because America already stands at the crescendo of such offensive policy of preemptive strikes. I mean they can not be offensive than this. However strategy may remain the same but will America do some tactical changes in Pacific ocean will be interesting to watch.

Rather diversifying more delivery systems India should Invest on reconnaissance, interception and early warning satellite systems ASAP as well. A technocrat defense minister with leadership qualities is highly desirable.

Last edited:

tony4562

Tihar Jail
Banned
Neither India nor Pakistan figure in China's nuclear doctrine. All the talk aside a war between India and US is 10 times likely than one between India and China despite the seemingly cozy relationship between Dehli and Washington at the moment. We know how close Saddam was to Uncle Sam, all this changed in an instant when Saddam pushed just a little too far.

China is unlikely to intervene in any future conflict between Inida and Pakistan regardless who the aggressor is. Don't think this can be said of US.

hit&run

Mod
Neither India nor Pakistan figure in China's nuclear doctrine. All the talk aside a war between India and US is 10 times likely than one between India and China despite the seemingly cozy relationship between Delhi and Washington at the moment. We know how close Saddam was to Uncle Sam, all this changed in an instant when Saddam pushed just a little too far.
China is unlikely to intervene in any future conflict between India and Pakistan regardless who the aggressor is. Don't think this can be said of US.
Pakistan:
China has strategic relationship with Pakistan. I do not want to define term strategic here because we all know about it. Its cover all aspects of a nation's security calculus including nuclear doctrine. ''Pakistan is Israel of China''. Nuclear proliferation and proactive assistance to Pakistani nuclear program and detonation are well known to the world.

India:
India's nuclear posture was clearly defined before. The NFU policy was China specific and i am not very sure here about my claim but I have read some where that India and China has some kind of agreement/understanding on this. Even if it is unilateral from Indian side; without taking China in confidence. The Chinese Nuclear policy can not be drafted without Indian nuclear threat perception. Furthermore we are fully aware of Chinese preparation and Ballistic missiles presence in Tibet. If you sir are saying that Chinese policy do not figure India then i would like to know why Tibet should be hosting BM silos. I do not think Tibet would be the right place to deter American aggression or to make preemptive strikes on her. Therefore your assertion looks very superficial and flawed. Your quick shift to US-India relationship is indicating that your post is a launchpad to vent of your frustration about the same. ''India is not Iraq'' BTW.

As i have said before that i am not surprised by such news, interestingly recent comments (which they usually do not make without purpose) made by a Indian policy maker ''that NFU policy is for non nuclear states'' i have no doubt to believe that south block is aware of Chinese designs. I think News is confirmed from my side. But you never now as Chinese are pretty clever fellows.

I may believe that China is a responsible nation and direct confrontation is not likely with India but every Chinese policy change has to be closely monitored because of Pakistan (India's enemy) is its proxy for sure. Aggressive Chinese nuclear policy means more aggressive Pakistani nuclear posture against India.
Even if above said it is not true, India can not afford two aggressive nuclear states and do nothing, i hope many will agree with me on this at least.

Last edited:

tony4562

Tihar Jail
Banned
China does not have BM silos in the tibet autonomous region (the 1.2 million square km region bordering India), China does have BM silos in Qinghai province (which Dalai claims to be part of tibet, one of many things Dalai and the CCP don't see eye to eye) mainly because of its location (remote, mountainous, and in the heart of China). If China really wants to target India, she could have deployed lots of M9/M11/DF21 in the border region, yet there is none.

hit&run

Mod
http://www.dailypioneer.com/276667/China-deploys-CCS-5-missiles-on-India-border.html

In its annual report, the US Defence department said, to improve regional deterrence, the PLA has replaced older liquid-fueled, nuclear capable CCS-3 intermediate range missiles with more advanced and survivable fueled CSS-5 MRBMs.
"China is currently engaged in massive road and rail infrastructure development along the Sino-India border primarily to facilitate economic development in western China: improved roads also support PLA operations," the Pentagon said.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DF-21

D21 is a road mobile medium range BM. Rather its more dangerous as hard to target and locate. A Chinese forum has mentioned that Pentagon reports suggest D21 was on the move from Delingha missile headquarters.

In one image, taken by the GeoEye-1 satellite on June 14, 2010, two launch units are visible in approximately 230 km west of Delingha. The units are dug into the dry desert slopes near Mount Chilian along national road G215. Missile launchers, barracks, maintenance and service units are concealed under large dark camouflage, which stands out clearly in the brown desert soil.
The satellite image shows what appears to be a DF-21C entering or leaving the camouflaged launcher service area. The characteristic nose cone of the missile canister embedded into the rear of the driver cockpit is clearly visible, with the rest of launcher probably covered by a tarp.

Last edited:

Oracle

With the evidence of military and hegemonic polarity being clear now w.r.t China, countries like SK, Taiwan, Japan are arming themselves to the teeth. It is rather late for China's nuclear doctrine to be re-visited now. More so, it won't go down well with the countries already mentioned.

JayATL

you guys are funny. they are are not India centric as far as military industrial complex is concerned. they are coming after the US. all they have to do to please India are diplomatic overtures vs. military because_ the know India and its philosophy i.e. India won't strike at them first.

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles