China rolls out AWACS aircrafts for Pakistan Air Force

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Sell of this Y-8 AWAC or if you wish AN-12 AWAC was imminent the day JF-17 was sold to pakistan. PAF from day one wanted to use their JF-17s as a BVRAAM platform and had earlier hatched the dream to achieve it by integrating french avionics and MICA on JF-17 which in whole was to be networked with Erieye. But dreams fell through, France denied, so PAF went for SD-10 BVRAAM and unwillingly or willingly PAF knows better to this Y-8 AWAC. Though Pakistanis are celebrating this development additionally by adding the co-development clause but knowledgeable among them knows that this AWAC is neither Paksitani by any percentage nor this is an achievement, they very well know acquisition of K-200 is a compromise and has came in on for additional Erieye.

The PAF signed a contract in 2008 with China Electronics Technology Group Corporation for the joint development of four ZDK-03 AWACS aircraft configured to Pakistan's specifications.
This is interesting! Requesting something on bold section from our Chinese members. Thanks!

Last edited:

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Sell of this Y-8 AWAC or if you wish AN-12 AWAC was imminent the day JF-17 was sold to pakistan. PAF from day one wanted to use their JF-17s as a BVRAAM platform and had earlier hatched the dream to achieve it by integrating french avionics and MICA on JF-17 which in whole was to be networked with Erieye. But dreams fell through, France denied, so PAF went for SD-10 BVRAAM and unwillingly or willingly PAF knows better to this KJ-200 AWAC. Though Pakistanis are celebrating this development additionally by adding the co-development clause but knowledgeable among them knows that this AWAC is neither Paksitani by any percentage nor this is an achievement, they very well know acquisition of K-200 is a compromise and has came in on for additional Erieye.

This is interesting! Requesting something on bold section from our Chinese members. Thanks!
Shhh man...the KJ 200 does not use the doppler effect it uses some other principle to work. So no use comparing them to contemporary radars....

kickok1975

Badguy2000

I find some of your words don't easy any tension or doubt from Indian nor sound comfortable to our Pakistan friends.
We shouldn't act as if we know if we don't know. Also some of your language is insulting and troubling.

Chinese is not superior compare to other people. We are still a developing country and has long way to catch up advanced country such as America. We have a lot to learn from them, from India and other fellow developing countries. Our country and military force is not as strong as you thought and we have numerous problems yet to resolve.

We are not promoting hate and arrogance here but to exchange ideas and thoughts. World will recognize China's strength without us sending provocative postings.

Besides, your avatar makes our President looks like a wanted criminal. That's disturbing and embarrassing.

Last edited:

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
Badguy2000

I find some of your words don't easy any tension or doubt from Indian nor sound comfortable to our Pakistan friends.
We shouldn't act as if we know if we don't know. Also some of your language is insulting and troubling.

Chinese is not superior compare to other people. We are still a developing country and has long way to catch up advanced country such as America. We have a lot to learn from them, from India and other fellow developing countries. Our country and military force is not as strong as you thought and we have numerous problems yet to resolve.

We are not promoting hate and arrogance here but to exchange ideas and thoughts. World will recognize China's strength without us sending provocative postings.

Besides, your avatar makes our President looks like a wanted criminal. That's disturbing and embarrassing.
Some sanity after all! Knowing more from you would be a great Pleasure man/lady!

Mustang

Badguy2000

Good post. you know what, no country including india is against your country. I can confidently say this as an indian. We dont have any issues if you are number one in this world, be it in science or sports. We very well know that we cannot defeat or overrun a country as big as china. Even if we have a victory, it will be a victory worth not having it which will come at a great expense to ourselves.

But if the world has any issues, then it is due to your communist regime. THey might have done great things for the upliftment of you people. But any government which does not represent its people is simply not reliable and you never know when they will go against this world or their own people whom they claim to represent.

Rage

DFI TEAM
may be AWACS is a concern but whats the use of AWACS if you dont have fighter to match it up....except for F-16 there is no fighter that can match us

yes with AWACS even JF-17 is capable enough to take on us but thats not enough....su-30 with phalcon can fry them out....so pakistan needs to invest in something more lethal than trying to match us.....

neilay, you understand that our survival depends on us being able to maintain a significant quantitative edge over the Pakistanis while ensuring a sizable technological edge, which would come in to use against the Chinese, given that we can never hope to match them quantitatively.

Any acquisition of advanced systems is an erosion of that competitive edge, no matter how marginally advanced. If the Chinese are giving the Pakisthanies, AWACS with long range and downsized radar, it means two things: one, that the Pakistanies are acquiring a system with advanced sensor and communications equipment, that will allow them to man their borders further and longer, and effectively erode into our 'Cold Start' doctrine; two, that the Chinese possess even more advanced equipment, that effectively debases our technological parity vis-a-vis them.

On top of all that, the Pakistanis are actually acquiring their systems on time, while we still dither on the MRCA issue and pay explosive bucks for our Phalcons.

Even more disconcertingly, the project was a joint endeavor between CETC and the PAF, meaning that the technical and technological spinoffs for the PAF will be many.

kickok1975

Good post. you know what, no country including india is against your country. I can confidently say this as an indian. We dont have any issues if you are number one in this world, be it in science or sports. We very well know that we cannot defeat or overrun a country as big as china. Even if we have a victory, it will be a victory worth not having it which will come at a great expense to ourselves.

But if the world has any issues, then it is due to your communist regime. THey might have done great things for the upliftment of you people. But any government which does not represent its people is simply not reliable and you never know when they will go against this world or their own people whom they claim to represent.
It's arguable that the current CCP (Chinese Communist Party) government not representing its people. But I agree as well as some good things done by them, the CCP also did terrible crimes to Chinese people in the past and still not admit it. Even today they are continuing making big mistakes.

China's growth today owns to her hard working people, not its government. The CCP just merely did what a normal government needs to do. Had they not accepted a reform and openness policy, China would be just like today's North Korea but 10 times bigger problem.

However, the current CCP is profoundly different than previous generation 30 years ago. They are "soft", less ideological and more practical. They realize power and strength come from prosperity rather than revolution. They are low profile and focus almost 100% on economic development: the only way can ensure them in power.

This trend will be strengthening instead of weakening in the future. This will be opportunity for China and India relationship and the rest of the world. Because the more we integrated and interdependent on each other, the less chance we will use force to resolve our difference. People fight when they are desperate and hopeless.

In addition, China's continuing prosperity will make it more democratic. People will seek more freedom and pursue a better life. It's not a choice for CCP. They either have to accept it or abandoned by Chinese people.

So I'm optimistic about our future relationship. Even India and Pakistan relationship will be improved one day. We just can't afford a war with each other. If this airplane deal is true, I doubt it will have some major impact. It's a game called balance and played by many countries on and on. I can't imagine Pakistan will attack India after obtaining it nor India would feel scared. The equipment and technology will be obsolete in a few years and then both military will need new toys to show each other and result: Peace.

Last edited:

smartindian

Country flag

ZDK-03 is an export AWACS system being developed for the Pakistani Air Force. This project was initiated in the early 2000. A prototype (serial # T0518/Project 021) based on Y-8 Category II Platform was first discovered at CFTE in early 2006. Unlike KJ-200, this variant carries a tranditional rotodome above its fuselage, with a mechanically rotating antenna inside. Therefore the Y-8 AWACS was speculated to be developed for the export market only as it appears less advanced than KJ-200 which features a fixed AESA radar. The AEW radar may be the product of the 38th Institute/CETC, but no details are available. The aircraft also features a solid nose and tail as well as two small vertial tail stablizers. The Y-8 AWACS protoype was promoted to Pakistani AF in 2006. After some negotiations a much improved design has been under development based on PAF's specifications. The variant is now dubbed ZDK-03 and is based on the new Y-8 Category III Platform featuring 6-blade propellers. It was reported in early 2009 that a total of 4 has been ordered by PAF in a $278m deal, with the first one to be delivered by the end of 2010. ZDK-03 is expected to serve as an airborne command & control center for the JF-17 fighter fleet.

http://cnair.top81.cn/gallery1.htm

Last edited:

smartindian

Country flag

Following the introduction of the KJ-2000 AWACS and KJ-200 (Y-8 'Balance Beam') AEW aircraft in 2001/02, a third Chinese AEW aircraft programme was revealed in 2005. Based on the Shaanxi Yun-8F400 airframe, the aircraft features a conventional rotodome mounted above the fuselage. Internet source photos showed that an example has been built, carrying serial number T0518. The exact status of the programme is unknown, but some sources suggested that the aircraft may have been aiming the export market.

Airborne electronic systems has been a focus of the PLA's extensive military modernisation since the 1990s. In particular, AEW capability has been seen by the military as vital to obtain air superiority over the Taiwan Strait. The fact that the PLAAF is testing AEW/AWACS designs with different radar arrangements (rotodome, fixed dish radome phased array radar, and 'balance beam'-style electronically scanned array radar) reflects its serious intention to develop a modernised AEW&C capability.

The Y-8F-400 was developed by Shaanxi in Aircraft Industry Corporation in 2001. The aircraft features a solid nose which replaced the Y-8's original 'glass-in' nose design, and a three-man flight crew. All windows on the fuselage were removed. A pair of vertical stabilisers are fitted on the tips of the tail-plane to enhance directional stability.

Little is known about the performance of the radar system fitted on the new Y-8 AEW. It was estimated that the aircraft may be comparable to the U.S. E-2C Hawkeye in terms of performance and capabilities.

Last update: 3 September 2007
http://www.sinodefence.com/airforce/specialaircraft/y8aew.asp

tony4562

Tihar Jail
Banned
I think the radar in question here is also an AESA, albeit a much scaled-down version of the one sitting on top of KJ2000. PLAAF uses KJ-2000 and KJ-200 for different purposes, Pakistan too could use ZDK-03 in a different manner than their Saab 2000 Erieyes.

SHASH2K2

I think the radar in question here is also an AESA, albeit a much scaled-down version of the one sitting on top of KJ2000. PLAAF uses KJ-2000 and KJ-200 for different purposes, Pakistan too could use ZDK-03 in a different manner than their Saab 2000 Erieyes.
I hope you wont mind use of word "diffrent manner ". I would love to know their manner of use .

badguy2000

Respected Member
Badguy2000

aha, are you one of the legendary "Jingying( elite)" so called ? so nice to meet one in one Indian forum!

first, can you give up your hypocritical preaching,because it makes your word as dull and boring as CCP's propaganda.

Neither do I buy CCP,nor do I buy CNN. And your words remind me of the hypocritical preaching from CNN,which is always "politically right" by taking the morality highland but hypocritical throughly Mr. Jingying!

Second, I like speaking frankly ,instead of hypocritical sweet lies,because I think that frank truth is always better than hypocritical sweat lies,however much the frank truth perhaps hurts some Indian people here.

truth always hurts somebody and is looked on as "insulting" and "troubling"....so ,somebody always indulge in dreams and refuse truth.... I don't want Indian people to be such guys,

And,you, Mr. Jingying, seem to like telling hypocritial sweet lies rather than frank stone-cold truth!

Last edited:

badguy2000

Respected Member
It's arguable that the current CCP (Chinese Communist Party) government not representing its people. But I agree as well as some good things done by them, the CCP also did terrible crimes to Chinese people in the past and still not admit it. Even today they are continuing making big mistakes.

China's growth today owns to her hard working people, not its government. The CCP just merely did what a normal government needs to do. Had they not accepted a reform and openness policy, China would be just like today's North Korea but 10 times bigger problem.

However, the current CCP is profoundly different than previous generation 30 years ago. They are "soft", less ideological and more practical. They realize power and strength come from prosperity rather than revolution. They are low profile and focus almost 100% on economic development: the only way can ensure them in power.

This trend will be strengthening instead of weakening in the future. This will be opportunity for China and India relationship and the rest of the world. Because the more we integrated and interdependent on each other, the less chance we will use force to resolve our difference. People fight when they are desperate and hopeless.

In addition, China's continuing prosperity will make it more democratic. People will seek more freedom and pursue a better life. It's not a choice for CCP. They either have to accept it or abandoned by Chinese people.

So I'm optimistic about our future relationship. Even India and Pakistan relationship will be improved one day. We just can't afford a war with each other. If this airplane deal is true, I doubt it will have some major impact. It's a game called balance and played by many countries on and on. I can't imagine Pakistan will attack India after obtaining it nor India would feel scared. The equipment and technology will be obsolete in a few years and then both military will need new toys to show each other and result: Peace.
here is one onlooker! haha!

Anyhow,according to your words, you should be a moderate rightist,so was I once! In fact, I disliked CCP more than you do now!

But now, my idea has changed. I still dislike CCP, but I appreciate the rule of CCP.
At least ,I think CCP's rule is much more lovely and appreciable than India confused "democracy",after I learnt soo much information about India by suring indian websites and discussing soo many indians netizens...

Last edited:

ashicjose

nice joke............
haha, I forget that even the underwears of US soilders are made in CHina...hahah

Without "made in China", Yankee's soilders would have to fight against Mujahideens nakedly! hahah

Country flag
what is the range for this radar??

ashicjose

big B, i approtiate china for the way you showed your money power through olympics and asian games.but you guys still lacks knowledge in high end technology.

tony4562

Tihar Jail
Banned
big B, i approtiate china for the way you showed your money power through olympics and asian games.but you guys still lacks knowledge in high end technology.
In some way I agree with your assessment that China still lacks the real real real high-end technologies, that is only compared with the US. I once read that 99% of world's top technologies were in the hands of US, time has changed but they probaboy still have a monopoly over the real high-tech stuff. But this does not mean China can't compete with the very best of the world in a practical sense. In the 30-year long process China has used to become factory of the world China has developed a highly competitive industry base capable of churning out virtually anything you name it, in very large quantity within very short time frame with more-than-acceptable quality and at a price no one else can match. If you continue associate China with toys and t-shirts, that's fine but then you are mistaken. China is also fast becoming a research stronghold because of vast amount of money available and a huge pool of available talents.

China's achievements speak for itself:
Largest shipbuilder now in the world capapble of building high-tech/ultra-expensive LNG carriers.
Largest steel producer by far
Largest car producer and market
3rd country to send human into space
Fastest computer in the world
World's largest high-speed train network and fastest operational trains. China is now competing and beating established competitors in this front, in a business China has no place in just 5-10 years ago. THis shows how fast China is catching up.
Regional jet ARJ-21 is about entering service and B737/A320 competitor C919 is due to roll out in 2014
Huawei is currently the company filing in most patents in the world, and it along with other chinese companies are winning contracts world wide, including in India
J-10 is now not only in service with the PLAAF, it is good enough to be used by PLAAF aerobatic team.
New generation of PLAN warchips like 052C destroyer and 054A frigate can compete with anything west currently can offer, both in build quality and capability.

Things are happening fast and furious in China. Yes it is difficult for an outside particularly an indian to appreciate, but it is real.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles