China: Religion in schools harms the mental health of the youth

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
@spikey360 our relationship is based on mutual respect and non interference that's been deeply ingrained in our superior civlization like Kongfuzi says "Do to others as u would have them do to u." Neither wants to force one's own ideas upon the other so that our friendship lasts.
Still there's difference between respecting and foolishness. They're pushing jihadis in Xinjiang.

garg_bharat

Country flag
our relationship is based on mutual respect and non interference that's been deeply ingrained in our superior civlization
Can you define "non-interference" as per Chinese?

Mutual respect - not sure what kind of mutual respect Pakistani give you or what you give them. Yours is a pure geostrategic relationship to establish hegemony in South Asia. Your policy is an unashamed copy of American policy in South Asia.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Can you define "non-interference" as per Chinese?

Mutual respect - not sure what kind of mutual respect Pakistani give you or what you give them. Yours is a pure geostrategic relationship to establish hegemony in South Asia. Your policy is an unashamed copy of American policy in South Asia.
Don't use word South Asia. I'm sick of it. :p
It is called Indian Subcontinent for a very good reason you know. :biggrin2:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
The news is 【Chinese Province orders religion out of school】but u were so sneaky to change the subject as Islam harms mental health.... blah... Even a 3-year-old knows the difference.

@spikey360 our relationship is based on mutual respect and non interference that's been deeply ingrained in our superior civlization like Kongfuzi says "Do to others as u would have them do to u." Neither wants to force one's own ideas upon the other so that our friendship lasts.

~~Still waters run deep. ~~from my MiPad using tapatalk
Nice blah blah to put sand into unsuspecting gullible indians eyes.

"Mutual respect" and "non-interference", like in Tibet where you sent an army to not interfere in their matters?

Claiming South china sea is mutual respect and non-interference, 2-in-1. :yey:

50 cent propaganda is understandable but, you better make it more sneaky (like those ccp posters here with indian flags pretending to be indians, now that is sneaky)
You got to up your game, guy.

pmaitra

I agree with @amoy. The thread title was misleading and editorialized. The ban is on all religions. PRC did not single out Islam. The portion "harms the mental health of the youth" is correct, and has been retained. The misleading part has been removed.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
My comments : Well, I hope this doesn't adversely affect China-Pakistan friendship which is "deeper than the ocean and taller than mountain".
The 'all weather' friendship that China has with Pakistan is for its own national and strategic interests. It has nothing to do with 'brotherly' love and affection! These Chinese are hard boiled businessmen and strategists.

They propping up Pakistan is only to keep India engaged with an endless conflict situation with Pakistan to drain its resources and keep India at bay so China can move ahead without diversions. Using Pakistan as its proxy against India is brilliant strategy that doesn't cost it a dime as Pakistan is doing all the dirty work for it!

For example, the much touted CPEC over which the Pakis are falling over each other saying that it's going to be a game changer that will turn Pakistan into a superpower soon, are hallucinating. Pakistan is going to be a just bit player in this project which is basically for, of and by the Chinese with their ultimate aim of establishing a naval base at Gwadar to dominate the IOR and the Strait of Hormuz.

So all this deeper than the oceans, sweeter than honey, stronger than steel, higher than the mountains talk is balderdash! It's only the Pakis who think so. The Chinese care a damn!

And they're having the last laugh! They know that the Pakis are morons who can't see through the game the Chinese are playing!

Navnit Kundu

Pika Hu Akbarrr!!
The 'all weather' friendship that China has with Pakistan is for its own national and strategic interests.
I know that, which is exactly what I was trying to sarcastically put across to Pakistanis who sing high praises of their deep friendship.

Navnit Kundu

Pika Hu Akbarrr!!
I agree with @amoy. The thread title was misleading and editorialized. The ban is on all religions. PRC did not single out Islam. The portion "harms the mental health of the youth" is correct, and has been retained. The misleading part has been removed.
Actually, nope. The article clearly mentions that this particular religious ban has been selectively applied only in a province where Islam is dominant; They aren't equivocating on what religion the ban is intended for if they had to institute a separate law for a Muslim province despite having a national law of keeping religion out of schools, historically speaking. The outrage which was caused was because the girl was caught reciting Quran, so when the officials phrases it as 'it harms mental health' and not 'it is wrong because it is against the law', they aren't mincing words about alluding to a particular religion since the special provincial law has been narrowed down to cover only a province, over and above the national law which already exists (which is not the subject of discussion in the news report).

So the ban and the subsequent comments are aimed at a particular religion and not at the idea of religion itself. No Chinese official has said that Taoism and Christianity harms mental health despite both of them having millions of adherents in China. So clearly, the criticism of religion is not universal but constrained to target a certain religion.

Long story short, despite religion being banned wholesale from mainstream Chinese schooling, it is legal for religious schools to preach religion in their own schools ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_education#China ) Taoism can be taught in Taoist schools, Christianity can be taught in Christian schools (there are 52 million Christians in China and growing : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_in_China ), but such a previlige doesn't exist for Muslims to preach Islam in their own schools, because first and foremost, Muslims aren't allowed to have schools funded and aided by private Muslim capital, so the ban IS selective towards Islam and is not universal. Other religions are allowed to have private educational institutions and preach their religion to kids, Muslims cannot. There's no editorial subterfuge.

pmaitra

Actually, nope. The article clearly mentions that this particular religious ban has been selectively applied only in a province where Islam is dominant; They aren't equivocating on what religion the ban is intended for if they had to institute a separate law for a Muslim province despite having a national law of keeping religion out of schools, historically speaking. The outrage which was caused was because the girl was caught reciting Quran, so when the officials phrases it as 'it harms mental health' and not 'it is wrong because it is against the law', they aren't mincing words about alluding to a particular religion since the special provincial law has been narrowed down to cover only a province, over and above the national law which already exists (which is not the subject of discussion in the news report).

So the ban and the subsequent comments are aimed at a particular religion and not at the idea of religion itself. No Chinese official has said that Taoism and Christianity harms mental health despite both of them having millions of adherents in China. So clearly, the criticism of religion is not universal but constrained to target a certain religion.

Long story short, despite religion being banned wholesale from mainstream Chinese schooling, it is legal for religious schools to preach religion in their own schools ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_education#China ) Taoism can be taught in Taoist schools, Christianity can be taught in Christian schools (there are 52 million Christians in China and growing : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_in_China ), but such a previlige doesn't exist for Muslims to preach Islam in their own schools, because first and foremost, Muslims aren't allowed to have schools funded and aided by private Muslim capital, so the ban IS selective towards Islam and is not universal. Other religions are allowed to have private educational institutions and preach their religion to kids, Muslims cannot. There's no editorial subterfuge.
No Chinese official has said that Taoism and Christianity harms mental health despite both of them having millions of adherents in China.
No Chinese official said that Islam harms mental health.

Do not editorialize thread titles. The safest thing to do is to copy the title of the opening post and use it as thread title.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
I know that, which is exactly what I was trying to sarcastically put across to Pakistanis who sing high praises of their deep friendship.
Pak China friendship, taller than mountains, deeper than Oceans, sweeter than honey and tastier than pork.
:flypig::flypig::flypig::flypig::flypig:
:biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:
The reality is that China has screwed Pakistanis up in more positions than we Indians know in our Kamasutra.
:love:

amoy

Nice blah blah to put sand into unsuspecting gullible indians eyes.

"Mutual respect" and "non-interference", like in Tibet where you sent an army to not interfere in their matters?

Claiming South china sea is mutual respect and non-interference, 2-in-1. :yey:

50 cent propaganda is understandable but, you better make it more sneaky (like those ccp posters here with indian flags pretending to be indians, now that is sneaky)
You got to up your game, guy.
Oh did my post work wonder on a gullible indian like u?? or u an exception??

nah, I strongly encourage u to open or reply in min. 4 separate threads, regarding 1. Tibet 2. SCS 3. 50Cent 4. false Indian flaggers while addressing all these big stuffs under a "religion out of school" thread is beyond your capability.

don't try to obfuscate the issue in hand.

~Tapa talks: Orange is the new black.~

Navnit Kundu

Pika Hu Akbarrr!!
No Chinese official said that Islam harms mental health.

Do not editorialize thread titles. The safest thing to do is to copy the title of the opening post and use it as thread title.
No editorialbaazi here, just copy-pasted the Chinese official's comments "The Education Department of Gansu province strongly condemns *the act* that harms the mental health of the youth, and demands education agencies of all levels to stop it resolutely and strictly bans religion from campuses.”

The same article later clarifies that *the act* refers to, quote "In the video, the unidentified girl is seen wearing a black headscarf and sitting in a classroom with dozens of other students — apparently all in "Muslim attire".

The article also goes on to say that :

China also enforces tight restrictions on religious participation by young people outside of school, particularly in its culturally distinct western regions where Islam and Tibetan Buddhism are widely practised.

@amoy Even if you leave the title issue for the moderators to decide, can you point out where the obfuscation is?

Clearly the talking point of the debate is that China is targeting a particular religion. If it were simply that China is targeting all religions, it wouldn't even be a news article because it has been the norm anyway. It's the shift away from the norm which makes the news newsworthy. It's not an innocuous report about China vs Religion, it's about China vs Islam and the official's comment give credence to that. The author wants to say "Islam is being targeted by Chinese officials". Is it not fact that Ramzan has been banned? those found fasting are force fed. Is it not fact that beards have been banned in Xinxiang? Is it not true that Muslim religious preachers have been made to dance and sing songs to enforce China's idea of a tolerant Islam? I'd be happy to supply citations to each one of them, there are unlimited news reports attesting the same, no shortage whatsoever. No need to celebrate on the technicality of a title being modified and construing it as China being a paragon of human rights for Muslims. That is a different issue altogether. No one is going to take China's moral high ground on face value here.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
while addressing all these big stuffs under a "religion out of school" thread is beyond your capability.
Religion out of schools in selected, Islamic majority regions.
Anyway, we don't have problem with China nor we are targeting you. So, don't panic.
:)
We are targeting some other people who think India is intolerant and China is true "Islamic " country .
:biggrin2:
When I told him China is a secular nationstate, he told me China "loves" Islamic culture and not only this,
Chinese people respect Quran, Namaz, prevent unsacred activities on Fridays etc..
:rofl:
I don't wanna cite his name but I only wish that half braincell his watching this thread. :amen:
Ever go to their forums Buddy @amoy , they bow to you guys like their God.
I never knew that China had Islamic constitution by the way. :pound:
Nice mental takeover my Chinese friends.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Oh did my post work wonder on a gullible indian like u?? or u an exception??

nah, I strongly encourage u to open or reply in min. 4 separate threads, regarding 1. Tibet 2. SCS 3. 50Cent 4. false Indian flaggers while addressing all these big stuffs under a "religion out of school" thread is beyond your capability.

don't try to obfuscate the issue in hand.

The principal (CCP and co.) at the "School of Higher obfuscation" tells others not to obfuscate; funny indeed.

You were spouting your lies about "mutual respect" and "non-interference" and I pointed out, with examples, how this is a convenient chinese myth. And now you cry OT and obfuscation. :cry:

Navnit Kundu

Pika Hu Akbarrr!!
The principal (CCP and co.) at the "School of Higher obfuscation" tells others not to obfuscate; funny indeed.

You were spouting your lies about "mutual respect" and "non-interference" and I pointed out, with examples, how this is a convenient chinese myth. And now you cry OT and obfuscation. :cry:
He is construing the title being changed by the moderator as the moderator's endorsement for China's impeccable human rights record, as he sees it. He is using that technicality to label us as 'revisionist' Indians, because someone allegedly from the Indian camp has supposedly agreed with him on something, so he has assumed it to be the only legitimate opinion, taken it as a broad based support for all his views and tagged the rest of us as heretics. That is the moral podium he is looking down from. Very difficult to bring someone down from such self-made moral podiums.

Editing the title was a greater revisionism than anything. The consequent report deviates from the meaning and spirit that the report intended to convey, by enforcing a strict and literal interpretation of the text. That's basically how wrong judgments are given in Indian judicial systems by considering the text of the law and ignoring the spirit of the law. A man video taped his wife cheating with someone else and presented it as evidence in court for consideration as legitimate grounds for a divorce, and the biased feminist judge sent him in jail for voyeurism and asked him to pay a fine to his wife. That is the kind of politically motivated moderation we are facing here.

Last edited:

amoy

Religion out of schools in selected, Islamic majority regions.
Anyway, we don't have problem with China nor we are targeting you. So, don't panic.
:)
We are targeting some other people who think India is intolerant and China is true "Islamic " country .
:biggrin2:
When I told him China is a secular nationstate, he told me China "loves" Islamic culture and not only this,
Chinese people respect Quran, Namaz, prevent unsacred activities on Fridays etc..
:rofl:
I don't wanna cite his name but I only wish that half braincell his watching this thread. :amen:
Ever go to their forums Buddy @amoy , they bow to you guys like their God.
I never knew that China had Islamic constitution by the way. [emoji14]ound:
Nice mental takeover my Chinese friends.
there're many things worth respecting. I respect u cow worshippers, mice worshippers , sacred activities of all sorts, nd so on.

the bottomline is "don't get into my way" and "give space to each other" so to speak, plus principles of separation of religion from state and politics and keeping it as a PERSONAL matter without messing up with others. for example I will give a middle finger to anyone who plans to sanction kosher or halal.

yes like u pinpointed there're incorrect ideas abt China and Chinese, or bias, as usual. basically Chinese r the most tolerant knowing where the boundary btwn private life and public domain is re. religion. have u ever heard of Chinese launching crusade or jihad? those who did were instantly isolated. instinctively we're immune to all that zeal.

being secular (religiously neutral) enhances Chinese strength on the global stage, e.g. China is a strategic partner of all three _ Israel, Saudi and Iran in Mid East. there's a lot to learn from advanced mature leaders like US.

Last edited:

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
Pak China friendship, taller than mountains, deeper than Oceans, sweeter than honey and tastier than pork.

The reality is that China has screwed Pakistanis up in more positions than we Indians know in our Kamasutra.
:love:
:pound::pound::pound:

Epic!!

Navnit Kundu

Pika Hu Akbarrr!!
the bottomline is "don't get into my way" and "give space to each other"
I wish some of these much touted ethos of yours showed in your foreign policy when it comes to supporting N.E rebels in India.

Bahamut

There should be no role of religion in National security and development ,it should be let to the people to decide

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles