China ranked 36th, the second lowest in Asia for English Proficiency.

mikhail

Country flag
Re: China ranked 36th, the second lowest in Asia for English Proficie

No, border trading don't need English, and there are not as many Pakistani business men as you are. My once Tofu Soup Flavored alley morning now smells Charpati, which a popular snack for many.

Pakistanis do a lot in China, study, got trained, boarder trading, even raise sheeps as farmers do as if they have not got enough of wool.
Most of them educated, friendly, very clean and most of them are shy, they are not as extrovert as indian is, that is a common steorotype.

Terroism aside, pakistani gangs also come in to smuggle, poach, and traffic drugs. our two government are working together to
catch them and serveral of the big shots were sentenced.

Indian criminals in China commit smuggling, sexual harrassment and raping, they equally got law enforcement at their door.

I hope this can storm your hindi brain for a while.
for me every chini :panda: coming to India is a potential criminal and a thief as you really don't know what they might steal from here as stealing is pretty much the national co-curriculer activity of the chini people:pound:.some of them infact come here to commit crimes like doing drugs,smoking weeds,having s*x with minor girls.on the other hand most of the Indian who go to china are either reputed businessmen or students(generally those students who can't even find a place in a decent college in India).so you can clearly see the difference mate!:cool2:

Yijiuliuer

Tihar Jail
Banned

for me every chini :panda: coming to India is a potential criminal and a thief as you really don't know what they might steal from here as stealing is pretty much the national co-curriculer activity of the chini people:pound:.some of them infact come here to commit crimes like doing drugs,smoking weeds,having s*x with minor girls.on the other hand most of the Indian who go to china are either reputed businessmen or students(generally those students who can't even find a place in a decent college in India).so you can clearly see the difference mate!:cool2:
Curricular.

Shitty eyes see shit, if for you that is the way it is, then be it only for you.:namaste:
----:bplease::shp::shp:

mikhail

Country flag

Curricular.

Shitty eyes see shit, if for you that is the way it is, then be it only for you.:namaste:
----:bplease::shp::shp:
great now a :panda: is using a :shp: emoticon to express his feelings:rofl::pound:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag

China is low on English skills because netizens really don't need English skills all that urgently. I've met lawyers who couldn't utter a word of English and quite frankly you could be a neurosurgeon here without it.

Our road signs, keyboards, and even down to the iPod I have in my pocket are in Mandarin... The GPS in my car and the female voice prompt on it is in Mandarin. Sure that eliminates us from being "Steve" from tech support for Americans, but that's no matter, half the fortune 500 companies are in Chengdu city, yet they manage to cope somehow even with our poor English and our Mandarin road signs, not to mention the mega coastal cities...

Yes knowing and being fluent in English is useful, I'm here posting on DFI because of it, but here, you can be whatever and whoever without it, that's the main reason many don't speak it all that much here. It's like an American learning Spanish in school, he does so because he wants to and it might open up some opportunities, not because he wouldn't have a livelihood without it. Same applies to the Koreans, Japanese and even our cousins from across the strait, even though they've been way more westernized than China is right now...

We'll learn it more and more as time passes, but we made it all the way to where we are today with no other language but Mandarin, and I'm proud of that.
Mandarin is the primary language and there is no reason English should ever encroach on that. However, I was quite pleased with the abundance of signs in English as it made it easier to get around. Anywhere you find younger generations you might find someone who can translate. In any American brand store there always seems to be someone who speaks it. I never had a problem finding QWERTY keyboards, they are standard. Tech companies are well aware of the need to offer Mandarin speaking devices since Han don't want to speak or hear English at home. Very few people speak Greek but they still make them.

Having taught English in China on weekends and living with full time ESL teachers, I can say the reason for it is that parents see it as a way of social mobility. Parents want to send their children to the school with the best reputation which is who has the most white teachers. I walked off the street and hired with little more than a look at my skin and a couple sentences out of my mouth. There were so many chains of this school they could find a place for even a bad teacher outside the city centre. I witnessed a couple of horrible Canadian teachers transferred but never fired. White is a premium in China, it means success, social mobility, status... and any other positive adjectives you can think of. Parents want to send their kids there whether the children are actually learning or not. When we had parent days for them to observe a class, they don't focus on the content but how much attention you give their child. I think just speaking English in class is good enough for them as long as you interact with their kid. That might be one of the problems of why they don't finish school being fluent even after years of after-school lessons.

commando elite

marok sudai chini kela koni kati pukorot bhorai dim

Yijiuliuer

Tihar Jail
Banned

great now a :panda: is using a :shp: emoticon to express his feelings:rofl::pound:
this is the difference lays between us, we love panda, we don't deny ourselves, even our mascots.
I will continue to use panda as my icon, although the design is kind of ugly in this forum.
-----by:panda:

Das ka das

Tihar Jail
Banned

You love Pandas but eat everything else...your country is like a vacuum for endangered wildlife. Hell I heard tiger penis wine is very popular...:eek::drunk:

Yijiuliuer

Tihar Jail
Banned

You love Pandas but eat everything else...your country is like a vacuum for endangered wildlife. Hell I heard tiger penis wine is very popular...:eek::drunk:
China actually did a much better job in wild life preservation, just check the WAF;s annual report.
India and Africa enjoyed a geographic advantage but actually things are getting worse each day. I just heard a leopard just peeled off someone's skull.
you invaded too far into their kingdom. China on the contrary, pay farmers give up their lands or use green tech only to keep wild animal happy.

Speaking of illegal animal products, that is banned 20 years if not more, and tiger bones were used for liquor not penis.

chase

Tihar Jail
Banned

China actually did a much better job in wild life preservation, just check the WAF;s annual report.
India and Africa enjoyed a geographic advantage but actually things are getting worse each day. I just heard a leopard just peeled off someone's skull.
you invaded too far into their kingdom. China on the contrary, pay farmers give up their lands or use green tech only to keep wild animal happy.

Speaking of illegal animal products, that is banned 20 years if not more, and tiger bones were used for liquor not penis.
ugghhh the chinese tastes! :laugh:

Yijiuliuer

Tihar Jail
Banned

Das ka das

Tihar Jail
Banned

While I appreciate your love for Zhungguo, China has done a TERRIBLE job of wildlife preservation (with the exception of Panda). Just a couple of years ago, the Yangtze dolphin was declare extinct, the South China tiger is functionally extinct, Chinese people's rabid love of Traditional Chinese medicine is the reason behind declines in India's population of leopards, lions (both for their bones..passed of as tiger bones), tigers (bones, penis), bears (gall bladders), pangolin (scales), rhino (horns), etc.

I have yet to see such a selfish people.

ice berg

While I appreciate your love for Zhungguo, China has done a TERRIBLE job of wildlife preservation (with the exception of Panda). Just a couple of years ago, the Yangtze dolphin was declare extinct, the South China tiger is functionally extinct, Chinese people's rabid love of Traditional Chinese medicine is the reason behind declines in India's population of leopards, lions (both for their bones..passed of as tiger bones), tigers (bones, penis), bears (gall bladders), pangolin (scales), rhino (horns), etc.

I have yet to see such a selfish people.
By selfish you mean the people who sold their leopards, lions, tigers , bears , pangolin, rhinos for money?

Selfish indeed.

Das ka das

Tihar Jail
Banned

By selfish you mean the people who sold their leopards, lions, tigers , bears , pangolin, rhinos for money?

Selfish indeed.
Huh...they were illegally poached by desperate tribals who get next to nothing. Sure there are a few Indian middlemen who make huge profits but the market for the products in India is virtually nil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_penis

"The penis can be taken in soup, ground in wine (tiger penis wine), or soaked in rice."

Last edited:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional

I admire any Chinese person who can read, write or speak English at any level.

amoy

I walked off the street and hired with little more than a look at my skin and a couple sentences out of my mouth. There were so many chains of this school they could find a place for even a bad teacher outside the city centre. I witnessed a couple of horrible Canadian teachers transferred but never fired. White is a premium in China,
I attended such schools before. Lots of them branded themselves with names like Buckingham, Wall Street, Webster alike. The best known I think is EF.

One of the teachers teaching us was an ex- Australian nurse. I was amazed at that time becoz I used to think all nurses were female.

Another who once taught us spoken English was a former civil servant in England. He said he was just tired of that life so locked his cellphone and quit and came to China.

Others included a graduate of Chemistry (a black) from the US, and a Hawaiian with Chinese descent.

I think nowadays many of such schools require qualification for such teaching posts, not just white skin. :namaste: and schools did emphasize their teachers wer certified.

One thing that puzzled me is that some ESLs also came to teach English in China such as a German with a weird accent pronouncing China like Sheena

I hope u didn't mislead Chinese with your non-professional French English

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag

I attended such schools before. Lots of them branded themselves with names like Buckingham, Wall Street, Webster alike. The best known I think is EF.
I taught with Canadian International, they had a good curriculum but the hiring process was somewhat bizarre. They had opened so many locations they couldn't find enough bodies to fill it.

One of the teachers teaching us was an ex- Australian nurse. I was amazed at that time becoz I used to think all nurses were female.
Sharing the differences in cultural perceptions was one of the things I enjoyed most.

Another who once taught us spoken English was a former civil servant in England. He said he was just tired of that life so locked his cellphone and quit and came to China.
I had another contract in China, just teaching for extra money.

I think nowadays many of such schools require qualification for such teaching posts, not just white skin. :namaste: and schools did emphasize their teachers wer certified.
All you need is a bachelors degree and an ESL course they provide.

One thing that puzzled me is that some ESLs also came to teach English in China such as a German with a weird accent pronouncing China like Sheena
My roomate was from Turkmenistan, although she didn't have much of an accent.

I hope u didn't mislead Chinese with your non-professional French English
I hold a degree from a leading English university and I took their ESL course. It would have been easy to fake the degree however. All they wanted was a copy.

cloud_9

Country flag

India and Africa enjoyed a geographic advantage but actually things are getting worse each day.Speaking of illegal animal products, that is banned 20 years if not more, and tiger bones were used for liquor not penis.
Do you even know how hard we are working to protect our wildlife and how about your countrymen stop eating tigers and Rhinos.....that will help :rolleyes: The only success Chinese had is with Panda :pound:

[video=youtube_share;mxVkHamephA]http://youtu.be/mxVkHamephA[/video]

[video=youtube_share;w73xFM8CdOA]http://youtu.be/w73xFM8CdOA[/video]

PS- Chinese giving conservation speeches when they themselves are a major problem :doh:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles