China projects Kashmir as a separate country

qilaotou

I think China isn't doing this just to make India look stupid. China senses consensus amongst western countries on this issue, who are trying to settle Kashmir problem in favour of Pakistan as a trophy for their cooperation with USA/UK and NATO. India is alone to fend for herself on this one. India+Russia will never be a match for China+USA.

India braces up for US pressure on Kashmir - dnaindia.com
Very thoughtful insight. Whoever looks strong and promising will be targeted by US and its allies in one way or another.

mehwish92

Founding Member
Country flag
Even in the west if you watch the news, maps always show Kashmir as separate from India as well as Pakistan.

prabhuksnp

Indeed Guys Kashmir was a separate country , it become part of india by king singing its succession with GOI way back , if succession is ok with tibet , then it is ok with kashmir , no point to argue further . Always one can aruge with sentiments of people , same is the case with Tibetians of china, Tamils of srilanka , Kashmiris of India. If china adopts this policy it should ask paksitan its closest and deepest friend to vaccate POK / Azad kashmir without this it is meagning less , but i think these maps by china does not have any value only adds to the problem

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Here's the best opportunity to de-recognize Tibet, can call all of Tibet disputed by the TGE. It takes a country as big as India to do that. Others will follow.
Tibet is officially known as Tibetan Autonomous Region or TAR.

India should highlight how they are not autonomous.

That will set the cat amongst the pigeons!

ppgj

india has history of diplomatic blunders. when they could have easily settled j&k once and for all at shimla 1972, they went by the private word of ZA Bhutto and the issue lingers on.

Tibet is officially known as Tibetan Autonomous Region or TAR.
by recognising so, again india shot itself in the foot. China's definition of Tibet extends to AP. don't know how they riggle out.

StealthSniper

When will the Chinese stop pushing India's buttons. They are really trying to get under India's skin and I don't know what this is going to lead to but it ain't pretty. I don't think China will ever get along with India considering China wants to be the dominant country in the Asian region.

dineshchaturvedi

Country flag
When will the Chinese stop pushing India's buttons. They are really trying to get under India's skin and I don't know what this is going to lead to but it ain't pretty. I don't think China will ever get along with India considering China wants to be the dominant country in the Asian region.
I agree they have a bullish attitude and this will make sure that they will never become a power like. USA is not as bullish as China.

StealthSniper

I agree they have a bullish attitude and this will make sure that they will never become a power like. USA is not as bullish as China.
I disagree I think USA is the biggest bully I have ever seen, but that's besides the point. Just imagine if China and India were friends and we helped each other get stronger instead of helping each other get weaker. I think the two countries would be unstoppable and I honestly would rather have a friend like China then be friends with USA. The reason is not because I hate America but we do have a lot more in common with China then we ever willl with America.

It's easy to be angry with another country but I do want Pakistan and China to do well also. Unfortunately they don't want us to prosper and I love my country and if they are enemies with my country they are enemies with me.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Maybe India should do a tit for tat by introducing special, simpler visa rules for ethnic Tibetians and at the same time, increase scrutiny for non-Tibetian (read Han) chinese. Also, give the Tibetians in India more freedom to protest and don't jail them when they do-Freedom of Speech, after all, we are a democracy, aren't we?. The GoI could also issue grants to organize high visibility conferences discussing the political future of Tibet to bring the issue back into the spotlight.

No reason to oppress refugees in a democratic country, is there? :wink:

And do all this while "officially" recognising Tibet as part of China, so as not to give them any excuse to get nasty.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Huns don't give a crap if they're restricted access to India. If they ever have business with Indians, they'll do it proxy their Hong Kong holding companies. Tibetans and Nepalese already swarm into India with zero travel papers, and settle down here. We cannot use those as T4T. What can however be done, is to get aggressive with our control over Kashmir and Arunachal. Restrict Chinese trying to build infrastructure in any territory we perceive as ours, and develop the necessary logistical infrastructure needed to thwart any misadventure by China. It's better being silent, proactive, and as less vocal about things as possible.

Vladimir79

Professional
Maybe India should do a tit for tat by introducing special, simpler visa rules for ethnic Tibetians and at the same time, increase scrutiny for non-Tibetian (read Han) chinese. Also, give the Tibetians in India more freedom to protest and don't jail them when they do-Freedom of Speech, after all, we are a democracy, aren't we?. The GoI could also issue grants to organize high visibility conferences discussing the political future of Tibet to bring the issue back into the spotlight.

No reason to oppress refugees in a democratic country, is there? :wink:

And do all this while "officially" recognising Tibet as part of China, so as not to give them any excuse to get nasty.
Maybe India should clandestinely train a Tibetan Liberation Army and send the Dalai Lama back home.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
If Chinese does not change there hostile attitude, why not?
Because people and will lose faith in the Dalai Lama, if he (or we) chooses the path of violence to liberate Tibet. There will be no ideological difference left between the Tibetan Government in Exile, and KMT (both claimants to the Chinese mainland.)

Sabir

DFI TEAM
China just trying to push India inch by inch expecting India won’t dare to wage a war against their might. It is the time to give them the message we are ready to see the end if necessary. Who will suffer more in a war that only time can tell but it will definitely put an end to their dream to become a super power. I don’t think China would like to have a real war that can take away major part of their gains that they attain through decades of hard work.

They have done enough to be hostile to them. Criticizing Indian PM to visit AP, attempt to block loan for AP, separate visa policy for Kashmiries, not considering Kashmir as a part of India, arming a rogue state like Pakistan against India and now a plan to divert water from Bramhaputra.(if it is proved of course)- enough. Even if there is no trade between India and China, it is China who will suffer more. Indian export to China is mainly minerals. Iron ore, I think is more than 50% of total export. It is not hard to find new customers for raw materials and eventually expanding Indian economy will require more materials in coming days. But China will have to find a substitute of an economy as big as India for her finished products.

There are thousands of Tibetan refugees in India. Recruit more of them in armed force (As many of them are serving already and many of them sacrificed their lives for India which is not their own country), train them and keep them prepared to take the war in to their court in case of hostile situation. It should be done openly to give China the message, in case of a war; it will be fought in their territory too.

Personally I believe our leaders also recognize a war is imminent. They are just trying to kill some time before we can complete ongoing expansion of our Army, Navy and Air-force. The way things are going on, expect a real war within next decade.

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
China looking to use stake in PoK as bargaining chip?

Saibal Dasgupta, TNN 21 October 2009, 03:51am IST Print Email Discuss Bookmark/Share Save Comment Text Size: |

BEIJING: The Chinese foreign ministry on Tuesday did nothing to justify its decision to invest in the Neelam-Jhelum hydroelectric project in
Pakistan Occupied Kashmir, which has drawn India's ire.

The Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Ma Zhaoxu evaded a directly reply to questions on why China was investing in the disputed area. Indications are that China does not want the issue to come in the way of a smooth dialogue when the foreign ministers of the two countries meet in Bangalore on October 27.

"The Kashmir issue has been left over from history. Pakistan and India should properly handle it. We hope there will be peace and stability in South Asia," Ma said responding to a question about India's protest over the proposed Chinese investment.

Ma was asked by another reporter how Chinese investment will help India and Pakistan to resolve the Kashmir problem. He repeated more or less the same words without trying to explain Beijing's decision.

The ministry spokesman's refusal to justify a decision taken during the recent meeting between Chinese president Hu Jintao and Pakistan prime minister Yousuf Raza Gilani may suggest that Beijing is taking a second look at its move to invest in POK.

India had earlier reacted to the move saying: "The Chinese side is fully aware of India's position and our concerns about Chinese activities in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir. We hope that the Chinese side will take a long term view of the India-China relations, and cease such activities in areas illegally occupied by Pakistan."

The issue is expected to come up when Indian foreign minister S.M.Krishna meets his Chinese counterpart Yang Jiechi on October 27. The Chinese foreign ministry today confirmed that Yang will attend the trilateral meeting between the foreign ministers of India, Russia and China in Bangalore. Yang and Krishna will will hold a separate meeting to exchange views on bilateral ties and regional and international issues of common concern, Ma said.

China is also putting pressure on India to stop the proposed visit of the Dalai Lama to Arunachal Pradesh ahead of the forthcoming meeting between the Indian and Chinese foreign ministers.

China was firmly opposed to the Dalai Lama's visit to what he described as "the so-called Arunachal Pradesh". Beijing claims that Arunachal Pradesh is part of its own territory and describes it as "South Tibet".

"We believe that this further exposes the Dalai Lama clique's anti-China and separatist nature," Ma said. China seems to suggest that Dalai Lama's visit to Arunachal Pradesh will further the cause of separatists seeking an independent Tibet.

He said India and China have agreed to further advance their strategic cooperative partnership by holding a series of commemorative activities, including a "country festival" to mark the 60th anniversary of establishing official diplomatic ties in 2010.

China looking to use stake in PoK as bargaining chip? - China - World - The Times of India

RPK

Indyakudimahan
Country flag
Kashmir issue `left over by history`: China

Beijing: Ahead of its Foreign Minister's visit to Bangalore, China on Tuesday described the Kashmir issue as a question "left over by history" and highlighted the need for India
and Pakistan to "properly" resolve it through dialogue.

"The Kashmir issue is a question left over by history that should be resolved properly through consultation and dialogue by India and Pakistan," Foreign Ministry spokesman Ma Zhaoxu said.

He made the remarks at a briefing when asked about China's stand on Kashmir in the wake of Beijing issuing separate visas to Indian passport holders from the state.

Ma also announced that Chinese Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi will attend the Foreign Ministers' meeting of China, Russia and India in Bangalore on October 27.

During the visit, Yang will also separately hold talks with his Indian counterpart, S M Krishna. The two foreign ministers will, in an extensive way, exchange views on bilateral ties and regional and international issues of common concern, Ma was quoted as saying by Xinhua news agency.

The trilateral meeting is taking place in the backdrop of recent unsavoury developments in Sino-Indian relationship on the issue of Arunachal Pradesh.

Noting that China and India will mark the 60th anniversary of establishment of diplomatic ties next year, Ma said the two sides have agreed to take this opportunity to further advance their strategic cooperative partnership by holding a series of commemorative activities, including the "country festival".

VayuSena1

Professional
Why does this come as a surprise to the Indian citizenry is something I find shocking. Is it so hard to do see the equation of Chinese strong foreign ties with Pakistan and therefore indirectly linked to its sinister activities in the state of Kashmir? I think not. It is very saddening to see that very few Indians grown up in the consumerist atmosphere of modern amenities realize how deep our territorial integrity has been compromised repeatedly by a soft government and abysmal handling of the national interests.

The only difference between the occupation of Tibet and the annexation of Kashmir is that while the Chinese government has smartly managed to complete its agenda with almost inhuman brutality, the Indian government goes weak whenever Kashmir issue is mentioned, rather than doing something about expelling the majority fake-Kashmiri residents who infiltrated from over the border and expelled a native community.

For this the government has to decide: whether to protect the Indian interests or to act hero to impress foreign countries.

amitkriit

If we find Chinese stand on Kashmir inconsistent, what stops us from reviewing our Tibet policy. Even if our past governments had recognized Tibet as a part of China so what, its the demand of present, and its our moral duty to take a stand in support of Tibetans who are facing Genocide (UN charter has an extremely broad definition of genocide, which includes supression of belief and traditions etc...).

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles