China Military: Photos & Videos

Country flag
a question I have asked many chinese and pakistanis and no one gave a proper answer with a link is what radar will be on the J-10?

A.V.

a question I have asked many chinese and pakistanis and no one gave a proper answer with a link is what radar will be on the J-10?
several websites claim it to be any one of the following but nothing is fixed till now, means there is still an important component missing not to mention about the engines,the w-10a failed recently and china has ordered 100 more al31 from russia.

radar possibilities. Russian Phazotron Zhuk-10PD
Elta EL/M-2035
FIAR Grifo 2000/16
Russian Phazotron (NIIR) RP-35
Russian Tikhomirov (NIIP) Pero

Country flag
for the price pakistanis are paying I doubt Zhuk or ELTA will be the radar.

A.V.

for the price pakistanis are paying I doubt Zhuk will be the radar.
the italian FIAR is the pakistani choice it seems.the chine version is still in trial mode with partial success.

Country flag
i am not familiar with that radar, but they want to build a plane for 7-10 million which seems pretty low.

A.V.

i am not familiar with that radar, but they want to build a plane for 7-10 million which seems pretty low.
here is a post regarding the new fiar grifo

A large-scale market of possibly a thousand or more early General Dynamics F-16A/Bs is being sought by the FIAR subsidiary of Galileo Avionica with its new Grifo 2000 fire-control radar, on show at Asian Aerospace for the first time. FIAR's new Grifo has been developed from a long line of low-cost high-capability pulse-Doppler Grifo variants since the mid-1980s. Their modular design simplified systems integration, and over 350 Grifos have been sold for retrofit upgrades of such aircraft as Dassault Mirage IIIs, Northrop F-5Es, and Chengdu F-7Ps. They have also been sold for new aircraft installations, as in the Czech air force's Aero L-159.

Grifo 2000 has been specifically designed and tailored to replace the original APG-66 radar in F-16A/Bs, with minimum modifications. This obviates changes in radome shape and size, as well as interfaces, and component stowage space, while incorporating state-of-the-art technologies and performance. Full interchangeability and pin-to-pin compatibility with the APG-66 radar at LRU level is ensured by the Grifo 2000's similar weight, cooling system and cockpit controls.

New features include a powerful 500 watt transmitter to increase detection ranges, four receiver/processor channels, an open architecture 25-mode processor, and high-resolution spotlight synthetic aperture radar. Grifo 2000 also incorporates enhanced air-to-air track-while-scan through 60 degrees each way in azimuth and elevation,, and modern beyond-visual-range AAM capabilities, plus sensor fusion with infra-red search and track systems. It has also been designed with easy transition to an electronic scanning antenna in mind.
Flight development of the Grifo 2000 is planned to start in an F-16 before the year-end, in response to USAF interest in a low-cost high-performance radar to equip its Fighting Falcons for adversary training. Singapore's F-16A/Bs are also an early target for Grifo 2000 marketing, as an option for STAe's Falcon One upgrade proposals, being made jointly with BAE Systems, and exhibited at Asian Aerospace. The related Grifo 7MG is also a candidate to equip the Pakistan air force's new cranked-wing F-7MPs, while FIAR is offering Grifo Super 7 and MK II developments of the same radar to China for possible installation in AF/PLA J-7E, J-8 and J-10 combat aircraft

Country flag
even this radar may not come at a cut-rate discount but there dosen't seem to be anything special about it, it might even be an old F-16 reject hyped up for other markets.

A.V.

even this radar may not come at a cut-rate discount but there dosen't seem to be anything special about it, it might even be an old F-16 reject hyped up for other markets.
thats very true but with limited budget you cannot expect an elta or a phazotron.this radar has being shortlisted for the pakistani version of j-10 as confirmed by the reports the chinese versions might still get a different one.

A.V.

do the pakastani feel comfortable in a piecemeal plane?
maybe some some knowledgable pakistani can answer this but what can they do they do not have any other option its the best they can get.
china is offering them great credit no other country will offer them this plus most major platforms are unavailable to them.

Country flag
after poison baby food and lead in toys i think China qualifies to make a good warplane.

A.V.

after poison baby food and lead in toys i think China qualifies to make a good warplane.
they are just working on the old russian designs,reverse engineering them and supposedly making them better or worse i dont know i reserve my views on the j-10 till i see it on a full scale if not a conflict then atleast in military exercises.

whatever littile news i came across its not that promising that it claimed at the start of its project.

Country flag
Also there dosen't seem to be one j-10, for china it is different from pakistan and it more of a puzzle being put together,so far they made the frame but the engine and radar are still unknowns

ZOOM

Founding Member
do the pakastani feel comfortable in a piecemeal plane?
As far as my evaluation, J-10 is definetly a formidable plane as far as china's requirements are concerned. Since it is homegrown and hence they don't require to worry about any Logisitics and Maintanance requirements during wartime.

For Pakistani's, just operating J-10 won't gona fulfill their requirement. They first need to worry about how they will going to operate such an expensive jets as far as their trumbling economy is concerned.
:sniper::sniper::sniper::sniper::sniper:

ahmedsid

Top Gun
The J10 is not at all expensive if we look at the other options. And about it being Formidable, well I will reserve my feelings till the complete plane is out and I see it in some exercise or something of that sort.

Pakistan will be uneasy using the plane as they too know deep inside that this is a completely untested plane from a country which has no Aviation lineage. I mean, people say, the Rafale and Typhoon also being untested, but these are built by nations with a glorious aviation past, the same countries which produced the Mirage 2000s and others.

So, till the day, China makes a really awesome plane, I cant accept that this plane will be formidable, but the reports coming in that its based on the Lavi, leaves room for Optimism.

Country flag
the Chinese version is not the pakistani version, they will not get the same top of the line extras that china will be using and the price they are paying per plane is less than the cost of radar for fighters from other countries.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Yeah, But Pakistan has the option of getting Western equipments added to the J10 (if China Agrees). The chinese will have to rely on Russia for their equipments alone.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles