China jails prominent rights activist

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
A court sentenced one of China's most prominent rights advocates to four years in prison on Sunday after he campaigned for the rights of children from rural areas to be educated in cities and for officials to disclose their assets.

Xu Zhiyong's jailing will send a stark warning to activists that the Chinese Communist Party will crush any challenge to its rule, especially from those who seek to organize campaigns.

It also diminishes hopes for meaningful political change, even as China pledges to embark on economic reforms.
Yahoo!

redragon

Country flag
Why you people always consider tbis type of crap wortbes mentioning

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Why you people always consider this type of crap worth mentioning
Because it is disturbing that a large country with one of the most powerful military forces in the world has a government that is repressive. That's why.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
If you are comparing a Chinese dissident who is an advocate for children's rights to this guy:

Manning, 25, was ... convicted of multiple ...counts, including violations of the Espionage Act, for copying and disseminating classified military field reports, State Department cables, and assessments of detainees held at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
you are way off base. If a PLA soldier had done what Manning did, he would have been shot without a trial.

boris

Country flag
@W.G.Ewald

That is official PLA policy and guess what we wouldn't even know why the soldier was being executed. At least Manning got due process and I believe the same would have happened to Snowden too.

I am not against the disclosure by Snowden of NSA spying on US citizens but running off to China and Russia and disclosing NSA spying details on other countries, an action that almost all countries do on each other , this disclosure is a dick move on his part.

Last edited by a moderator:

northernarunachalpradesh

:hehe::wakeup::dream::dream:
@W.G.Ewald

That is official PLA policy and guess what we wouldn't even know why the soldier was being executed. At least Manning got due process and I believe the same would have happened to Snowden too.

I am not against the disclosure by Snowden of NSA spying on US citizens but running off to China and Russia and disclosing NSA spying details on other countries, an action that almost all countries do on each other , this disclosure is a dick move on his part.

Last edited by a moderator:

boris

Country flag
Thank you for being honesty about USA
LOL had it been USA it would have been "THE most powerful military forces" not "one of the most powerful".

Anyway RD, do you like table tennis? I like the Chinese national team.

redragon

Country flag
LOL had it been USA it would have been "THE most powerful military forces" not "one of the most powerful".

Anyway RD, do you like table tennis? I like the Chinese national team.
No, I like football more. this is OT, let's not continue.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles