China has military presence in Gilgit-Baltistan (PoK)

Rahul92

@ bad kid

Do u think Kashmiri people really like to be a integral part of Pakistan a country Who have no ethics, No loyalty ,Always fighting in there backyard ,No protection to civilians ,u cant even say if u go out u will come back alive or not, utilize funds given by USA against India & what not else

pbabu266

The only way india, can handle this issue is to develop the infrastructure projects in jammu & kashmir

I have few suggestions

1) To develop the Jammu Udhampur Srinagar Baramulla Railway Link project in jammu and kashmir as nation's high priority project. and extend it to kargil and ladakh. (by doing so we can transport the army at brisk space in case of war)

2) To develop the road & rail connectivity projects ( as this can improve living standards of people in JK)

3) Prepare bunkers in high peaks of Himalayas ( in case of war people fighting from height has more advantage) these are also used to store gas and armouny

and only these under himalays indian army must digg tunnels and reside camps there (at this point world attention can be diverted, in case of bringing huge bore machine's also because of the rail project need the bore machines)

i think these could increase the india's hold on the Himalayas and china can't even thouch indian army as we are in safest place ie. Himalayan bunkers
without these precautionary measure's india can win against pak (but suffers from huge causality as in 1965) and if it is against china sorry to say about our fate..

i request comments on my suggestions my friends

i am sorry i did't introduce my self i am a software engineer in cryptography from visakhapatnam

Last edited:

Anshu Attri

Country flag
The only way india, can handle this issue is to develop the infrastructure projects in jammu & kashmir

I have few suggestions

1) To develop the Jammu Udhampur Srinagar Baramulla Railway Link project in jammu and kashmir as nation's high priority project. and extend it to kargil and ladakh. (by doing so we can transport the army at brisk space in case of war)

2) To develop the road & rail connectivity projects ( as this can improve living standards of people in JK)

3) Prepare bunkers in high peaks of Himalayas ( in case of war people fighting from height has more advantage) these are also used to store gas and armouny

and only these under himalays indian army must digg tunnels and reside camps there (at this point world attention can be diverted, in case of bringing huge bore machine's also because of the rail project need the bore machines)

i think these could increase the india's hold on the Himalayas and china can't even thouch indian army as we are in safest place ie. Himalayan bunkers
without these precautionary measure's india can win against pak (but suffers from huge causality as in 1965) and if it is against china sorry to say about our fate..

i request comments on my suggestions my friends

i am sorry i did't introduce my self i am a software engineer in cryptography from visakhapatnam
i always think that why INDIAN ARMY does not built underground bunkers and tunnels in HIMALYAN region just like in Vietnam.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
We can't be indifferent to Gilgit-Baltistan

The Northern Areas, illegally occupied by Pakistan, has been renamed Gilgit-Baltistan. This region is of great strategic importance to India. It borders Afghanistan and is legally a part of India, but our decision-makers have been ignoring it. In the 20th century, the British were alive to its importance in the context of the threat from Czarist Russia, and after the 1917 Revolution from the Soviet Union. Current reports of an increased Chinese military presence in Gilgit are a cause of grave concern.

The British had a political agent at Gilgit and later obtained a lease to administer the area. As Independence approached, the lease was terminated and Gilgit reverted to Jammu and Kashmir.Brigadier Ghansara Singh of the state Army took over as governor of Gilgit from the British political agent, Colonel Beacon, on August 1, 1947. Major Brown, commanding the Gilgit Scouts, staged a military coup at Gilgit, surrounding the residence of the governor on November 1, 1947. Brig. Ghansara Singh was forced to surrender and the Pakistan flag was hoisted in Gilgit. Pakistan got its first taste of a military coup. The non-Muslim troops of the Maharaja's Army took refuge in Skardu fort along with a large number of Hindu and Sikh refugees. Col. Shahmsher Jung Thapa was commanding the garrison. On November 1, 1947, when this coup took place, Pakistani forces had advanced to the outskirts of Srinagar. With our backs to the wall, we were preparing to launch an offensive to throw them out of the Valley. Our resources were slender in the Valley and could not be reinforced in the winter.

The grass airfield at Srinagar would soon become unusable after snowfall and the road across Banihal pass was blocked with snow. There was then no tunnel at Banihal. We were in no position to do anything about Gilgit. When the snow melted and the road and air communications were restored, we reinforced our strength in the Valley. Our summer offensive was launched with the main thrust to Muzaffarabad. Gurais Valley was secured in the north to guard against the threat from Gilgit and Sonamarg in the East against the threat from Kargil, then under Pakistani occupation. The relief of Skardu was to be carried out subsequently.

Our summer offensive achieved reasonable success with the capture of Tithwal, tantalisingly close to Muzaffarabad. On the appeal of the UN to both India and Pakistan, our offensive was suspended in June 1948. The Skardu garrison held out heroically for six months. Unfortunately, we did not then have transport aircraft with pressurised cabins, needed for flying at 20,000 feet, to carry out air drops at Skardu. By August 1948, food ran out in Skardu, which had a large civilian population that had taken shelter there.

We had to most reluctantly order the Skardu garrison to surrender. On August 14, 1948, Col. Thapa had to raise the white flag. The enemy massacred Hindus and Sikhs. By September they captured Kargil and advanced to Ladakh, threatening Leh. After two unsuccessful attempts we managed to break through the Zoji-la heights, establishing a world record by using tanks at such high altitude. We captured Kargil and advanced another 200 miles to secure Leh. Soon the ceasefire came into force and Gilgit Baltistan remained under Pakistan occupation.

Pakistan has been assiduously promoting two myths. First, Gilgit was liberated by an indigenous freedom movement against the tyrannical rule of the Maharaja and the people joined Pakistan of their free will. Second, Gilgit-Baltistan was never a part of J&K. Pakistan detached Gilgit-Baltistan from Pakistan-occupied Kashmir and denied its people basic political rights. They still cannot vote for the Pakistan Parliament.

All the top government positions are held by Pakistanis who get special allowances for serving in the region, as the British officers got in India.

The council, recently designated an Assembly, has a nominated chairman known as the chief executive officer with a local deputy elected on a very limited franchise. Eighty-five per cent of the people in the region are Shias and are subjected to ethnic and sectarian violence. There has been a prolonged agitation in the region against anti-Shia school textbooks and the government settling Punjabis and Pathans to alter the region's demographic profile. Interestingly, members of the United Gilgit-Baltistan movement recently complained that India has not been doing anything for them and they want reservation of seats in Indian educational institutions for students from their region!

Although New Delhi maintains the whole of J&K is an integral part of India, we have been indifferent to the travails of the people of Gilgit-Baltistan.

In March 1953, Pakistan gifted 5,000 sq. km of territory in Shansgam Valley to China. The Karakoram Highway through this region provides a road link between China and Pakistan.

In the present crisis, we can no longer remain indifferent to Gilgit-Baltistan. Simultaneously, we need to build our military muscle to deter military adventurism against us by either China or Pakistan. Belatedly, some efforts are now being made. This must be completed on a war footing to safeguard our national interests.

A rail link is now under construction from Tibet to join the Pakistan rail network and connect to Gwadar port. Permanent military barracks have been constructed for increasing numbers of Chinese troops. This region is an important link in China's String of Pearls strategy to contain India. In 2005, we agreed to the opening of the Srinagar-Muzaffarabad road. As governor of J&K, in my Republic Day address that year I had urged the opening of the Kargil-Skardu road. Musharraf had allowed a PoK delegation led by a former chief justice to visit Srinagar. This included four members from Gilgit. These four called on me and thanked me for taking up the opening of the Kargil-Skardu road. They wanted their visas extended to enable them to visit Kargil because, they said, they had a deep attachment for the people of Kargil. I arranged for them to visit Kargil. They also mentioned their local problems. Baroness Emma Nicholson, a member of the European Union Parliament, was deputed to prepare a report on Kashmir. She visited PoK, Gilgit-Baltistan and Indian-administered Kashmir. I had a long discussion with her in Srinagar. In her report she praised the functioning of democracy in Indian-administered Kashmir, criticised the lack of it in PoK and its total absence in Gilgit-Baltistan. Pakistan tried to scuttle this report but the European Parliament passed it by over 400 votes, with only nine votes against it.

In the present crisis, we can no longer remain indifferent to Gilgit-Baltistan. Simultaneously, we need to build our military muscle to deter military adventurism against us by either China or Pakistan. Belatedly, some efforts are now being made. This must be completed on a war footing to safeguard our national interests.

- The author, a retired lieutenant-general, was
Vice-Chief of Army Staff and has served as governor of Assam and Jammu and Kashmir.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
i always think that why INDIAN ARMY does not built underground bunkers and tunnels in HIMALYAN region just like in Vietnam.
It is very possible that they have. Indian Army does not reveal every detail of its defenses to the public...

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
That will be a nice juicy target in the event of war. Anyways, India should object to any constructions by the Chinese owing to the dispute between India and Pakistan on PoK. Its another matter if China/Pak listens to it or not.

Oracle

String of pearls eh! Nehru is not ruling us this time. We will have you by your b@!!s and throw you out. Pakistan will go down, and so would you Chinese.

Last edited:

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
If not for Nehru's foolish debacle to got to the U.N. we would have got back the territory occupied by pakistan and we would have been happier and also at ease of controling Kashmir now.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
If not for Nehru's foolish debacle to got to the U.N. we would have got back the territory occupied by pakistan and we would have been happier and also at ease of controling Kashmir now.
String of pearls eh! Nehru is not ruling us this time. We will have you by your b@!!s and throw you out. Pakistan will go down, and so would you Chinese.
Nothing is gained by looking at past..

Best thing is to look for solution, And i think we know what it is.. :)

IAF inducts second SU-30 squadron in northeast

Chabua (Assam), March 1 (IANS) The Indian Air Force Tuesday inducted a second squadron of its frontline Sukhoi-SU30 combat jets in the northeast as part of a strategic deployment of advanced assets close to the Chinese border, an officer said.
A single Su-30 has presently been stationed at the Chabua air base, about 450 km east of Assam's main city of Guwahati, with the strength of the squadron gradually being raised to 18 aircraft.

'The idea is to ensure that the skies and the borders in the east are well protected and secured. The Sukhois can be used for both offensive as well as defensive purposes,' Air Marshal K.K. Nohwar, air officer commanding-in-chief of the Eastern Air Command, told reporters after the formal induction ceremony.

As part of the formal induction, the fighter jet staged an impressive flypast.

The IAF had inducted its first SU-30 squadron at Tezpur in northern Assam in June 2009.

The decision to deploy the Su-30s, the most potent fighter in the IAF inventory, follows repeated instances of Chinese incursions in Arunachal Pradesh in the last few years.

The Tezpur and the Chabua air bases are within striking distance of the India-China border along the mountainous state of Arunachal Pradesh.

According to the defence ministry, there have been about 350 violations by Chinese soldiers in the western, middle and eastern sectors of the border since 2008.

Beijing had in 2003 given up its territorial claim over the Indian state of Sikkim but still maintains that vast stretches of Arunachal Pradesh belong to China.

Arunachal Pradesh shares a 1,030-km unfenced border with China. This frontier is defined by the McMahon Line, a notional boundary that is now known as the Line of Actual Control (LAC). China has never recognised the McMahon Line, and claims 90,000 sq km or almost all of Arunachal Pradesh. India also accuses China of occupying 8,000 sq km in Kashmir.

India and China fought a bitter border war in 1962, with Chinese troops advancing deep into what was then called the North East Frontier Agency (NEFA) and inflicting heavy casualties on Indian troops.

Capable of carrying nuclear weapons and tailor-made for Indian specifications, the Russian designed Su-30 is being manufactured under license by state-owned Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL). The aircraft was inducted into the IAF in 1997.

'Forty-four Sukhois are being inducted into the IAF, taking the number of the jets to 270,' Nohwar said.

The IAF currently operates six squadrons of the Su-30s, with three stationed at Lohegaon in Pune, two at Bareilly, and one Tezpur. Chabua is the seventh squadron. Each squadron generally comprises 18-20 aircraft.

The Chabua air base was built in 1939 and during World War II was a major supply point for ferrying supplies to allied forces in and around Kunming in China to fight the Japanese. This was known as 'Flying the Hump'.

The Tezpur airfield was constructed in 1942, during the Second World War. It lies between Bhutan, Tibet, China, Myanmar and Bangladesh. Ever since its inception, it has been one of the most active bases in the northeast from where a variety of fixed and rotary wing aircraft have been operating.
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NEWS/newsrf.php?newsid=14474

Sukhoi-30 power for Chabua IAF station

DIBRUGARH/GUWAHATI: The country's eastern sector bordering China got fortified on Tuesday with the induction of the Sukhoi-30 MKI fighter aircraft at the Chabua Air Force station.

The initiation was done through a symbolic ceremony with the inaugural flight of the SU-30 MKI taking off from here. It also performed an overshoot before landing.

Wing Commander K Sundaramani and Flt-Lt MB Walunj took off for the first sortie on the SU-30 in the presence of senior officers of the Indian Air Force, including Air Marshal KK Nohwar, Air Officer Commanding in Chief Eastern Air Command, Air Commodore Mrigendra Singh, Air officer Commanding, Air Force Station Chabua. This was followed by a fly past by three SU-30 MKI aircraft.

Speaking to the media, Air Marshal Nohwar said the induction of the highly sophisticated aircraft was part of the process to ascertain that the borders in the eastern part of the country remain free from any intrusion. "The Chabua station (102 Sqn, 14 Wing) is the easternmost fighter base of the country. It is the first line of defence in the east and the induction of the SU-30 will strengthen its capability," added Nohwar.

The Air Marshal said the Vijaynagar runway in Arunchal Pradesh was being repaired and will be soon open to operations of the fixed wing aircraft for better air maintenance. At present, the Air Force has a fleet of around 270 SU-30 aircraft.

Describing the special features of the fighter plane, Nohwar said the Su-30 MKI was a state-of-the-art aircraft for better maintenance.

Chabua is the second airbase in the northeast after Tezpur to house the Sukhois, capable of striking targets inside China with a cruising speed range of 3,200 km, which can be more than doubled with mid-air refuelling by IL-78 aircraft.

The Air Force base at Chabua was constructed in 1939. The air field was extensively used for launching operations against the Japanese. In 1962, the IAF commenced operations in response to the Chinese invasion of Tibet and threat to the northeast.

While India is only now trying to counter China's massive build-up of military infrastructure all along the 4,057-km Line of Actual Control, the People's Liberation Army (Air Force) already has at least six fully-functional airbases in Tibet and three in south China. The Linzi airbase, for instance, is not even 30 km away from the LAC in Arunachal.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
Well the GoI should take the matter of the chinese presence in the PoK ecspecially because PoK is a disputed territory and china should not and has no right in anyway to enter the disputed territory and make a colony there. I think GoI is too soft on the chinese when it comes to Aksai-chin and PoK ecspecially.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
That will be a nice juicy target in the event of war.
On the contrary, it will serve as a deterrent. China placed a settlement there (on Pakistan-administered territory), so that if targeted, it will warrant a Chinese intervention.

Oracle

On the contrary, it will serve as a deterrent. China placed its colony there (on Pakistan-administered territory), so that if targeted, it will warrant a Chinese intervention.
Bingo! This is what the sadists in Pakistan wants. And the fox in sheep's clothing in China. We really need to get our forces what they need and soon. We certainly do not need another 1962.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
On the contrary, it will serve as a deterrent. China placed a settlement there (on Pakistan-administered territory), so that if targeted, it will warrant a Chinese intervention.
Nope. Its a disputed land and therefore they have no right to build anything there. So anything built by Chinese without our permission will be illegal and have to face consequences when the time is ripe. May be we may not attack it directly but will definitely make them vacate the premises.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Nope. Its a disputed land and therefore they have no right to build anything there. So anything built by Chinese without our permission will be illegal and have to face consequences when the time is ripe. May be we may not attack it directly but will definitely make them vacate the premises.
The "disputed land" notion is a double-edged sword. We would have no right to build anything in J&K, if that's applied. Hence any action on Chinese installations in PoK will warrant a Chinese intervention, because we would be targeting Chinese property on what it recognizes to be territory not administered by India, potentially killing Chinese citizens.

Oracle

The "disputed land" notion is a double-edged sword. We would have no right to build anything in J&K, if that's applied. Hence any action on Chinese installations in PoK will warrant a Chinese intervention, because we would be targeting Chinese property on what it recognizes to be territory not administered by India, potentially killing Chinese citizens.
Correct. I wonder if R&AW is active and is trying to wank the Chinese off from PoK. If I remember correctly, there has been attacks on Chinese people in Pakistan in the past. Time to act tough, covert!

Tronic

As Chinese built infrastructure increases in POK, India needs to subsequently expand its capabilities to sink all this infrastructure into the ground, starting with the Karakoram highway, the next opportunity which arises.

captonjohn

Country flag
China still need to do a lot of home work before attacking on India at POK because it's not a chinese territory. china have no right to build any infrastructure on a disputed land hence India can target them easily but this would give chinese a chance to attack on us. In any case we can not avoid a war because Pak won't stop and we won't allow anybody to take our territory. The only solution to this problem is to become more powerful because these both nation understand language of power. Create new air base, military base, use a strong surveillance system to keep an eye on them and place a missile base to scare pak and china both because at this point china would be completely in our range. In any war our focus should be to cut-off Pak-china contact in POK by heavy bombarding and overwhelming military actions.

SHASH2K2

India confirms Chinese military in PoK

NEW DELHI: Indian intelligence agencies now have credible evidence of their own that several hundred of the Chinese working in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir are People's Liberation Army engineers. They are in the process of verifying if these Chinese military engineers are engaged in some sort of military construction like bunkers.

The startling confirmation that hundreds of Chinese military engineers are in PoK has come against the stout official denial by China that its military was not present on the Pakistan side of Kashmir. In the past, US intelligence has told India about Chinese military presence in PoK.

The Chinese are involved in hydel projects, realignment of Karakoram highway etc in PoK. Presence of Chinese military engineers in civilian construction activities undertaken by China in foreign countries is "unusual", a source said. "They couldn't be there just for civilian work," he pointed out.

Sources said the inputs about Chinese military presence in PoK was part of an assessment presented by the Indian Army top brass to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, defence minister A K Antony and other senior officials a few weeks ago.

Army leadership is believed to have pointed out the significant gap in the military capabilities of India and China, especially along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) between the two countries. The stark differences in the logistical capabilities such as roads and air links along the border between the two armies were pointed out to the leadership. But most importantly, Army told the political leadership that the Chinese were capable of deploying some three dozen divisions, against India's less than a dozen divisions, along the LAC in case of hostilities.

The Army leadership is believed to have pointed out the massive air force and ground force capabilities Chinese possess in the regions along the Indian border, while urging the government to step up its own efforts to pull up development of infrastructure.

Indian infrastructure development, almost fully stalled for three decades since the 1962 war, was revived only a few years ago. Even those projects — primarily building road links close the border and reviving abandoned airfields — have run into various issues.

On the military front, while the Army is raising two divisions, IAF has deployed Sukhoi-30s closer to the Chinese border. An Army demand for raising a dedicated mountain strike corps for the China border is yet to be approved by the government.

Army leadership pointed out that the PLA was capable of swift mobilization of troops from other parts of the country, and can sustain half-a-million troops along the border for several weeks. All these capabilities, and India's own deficiencies, could lead to Chinese being more assertive, both on border and diplomatic issues, some believe.

One official said there is no "credible and sustained" evidence on ground to show that Chinese have become more aggressive, though there are hints of it. He pointed out that as the passes open up along the border and summer patrolling increase, "whatever change is there would be visible on the ground". Many in the establishment do not buy into an alarmist assessment, saying while China's actions are meant to send a clear signal to India about its economic might, it is not expected to itch for a military tiff with India.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
The next time Pakistan starts something, India needs to push the LoC up to the Chinese border. That will cut Pakistan off for good. Keep your nukes pointed at China should keep them out of it.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles