China(GlobalTimes) questions India's sovereignity on J&K again

ejazr

Ambassador
The mystery of missing thousand miles in J&K

As questions of territorial sovereignty return to the centrestage in Sino-Indian relations, Beijing has added a new twist to the long-running boundary dispute between the two countries by knocking off nearly 1,600 km from its definition of China's border with India.

A Xinhua report from Beijing earlier this week on the eve of premier Wen Jiabao's visit to India described the Sino-Indian border as nearly 2,000-km long. The Indian count of the operational border is a lot longer at nearly 3,500 km (not taking into account the line separating Pakistan Occupied Kashmir and China). The discrepancy is too large to be treated as an inadvertent error in Beijing.

So, where did the hundreds of kilometers disappear? China apparently no longer treats the line of nearly 1,600 km separating Jammu and Kashmir on the one hand and Xinjiang and Tibet on the other as a border with India.

China's recasting of the length of the border with India appears to be part of the Kashmir puzzle that Beijing has unveiled in recent years. The other pieces include the recent policy of issuing stapled visas to Indian citizens from J&K, the reluctance to host a visit by the Northern Commander of the Indian Army Lt. Gen. B.S. Jaswal, the dramatic expansion of the Chinese activity in Pakistan Occupied Kashmir that includes the modernisation of the Karakoram Highway and the plans to construct a new rail line and oil pipeline between Kashgar in Xinjiang and the Gwadar port on Pakistan's Makran coast.

Xinhua's reference to 2,000 km of Sino-Indian border was based on an official briefing by the Assistant Foreign Minister of China, Hu Zhengyue to the Beijing press corps on Monday.

Minister Hu's shortening of the border with India does not appear to be a one-off comment. The figure 2,000 km appears to have become the new normal in the official Chinese characterisation of the border with India.

A day before Wen arrived in India, The Global Times—an English language newspaper published by the People's Daily, the official organ of the Chinese Communist Party—contradicted the Indian figure of 3,500 km for the operational border between the two nations.

In an interview with the Indian Ambassador to China, S. Jaishankar, the Global Times asked about the reported tensions on the border. In response, Jaishankar said, "The reality contradicts any alarmist depiction of the situation on the border, whether in India or in China. We have a long common border of 3,488 km."

In publishing the interview in its Tuesday's editions, the editors of the Global Times chose to add in parenthesis the following: "There is no settled length of the common border. The Chinese government often refers to the border length as being 'about 2,000 km."

Given Beijing's new emphasis on a shorter border with India, Delhi can't ignore the issue any longer. After all, the Chinese are quite careful and very definitive in articulating their boundary claims.

Beijing's official figure for the Indian border at about 2,000 km makes sense only if the boundary between J&K and China is disregarded. From the Indian count, the western sector that covers the frontier of Jammu & Kashmir is 1,597 km (nearly 1,000 miles).

For decades now, Delhi and Beijing have discussed, as a mater of routine, the western sector of J&K as part of their boundary talks. The first signs of trouble on the western sector came nearly a decade ago during NDA tenure, when Delhi tried to exchange maps of the border with Beijing as part of an effort to clarify the Line of Actual Control on their vast frontiers.

The maps for the central sector were quickly exchanged; but Beijing was reluctant to do the same in the western sector. Part of the problem was said to be Chinese concern about Pakistan's sensitivity to the delineation of the Sino-Indian border in J&K.

The new Chinese approach to the western sector reveals that India's problem could be much larger than the question of stapled visas. It might be about a fundamental ambivalence in Beijing about India's sovereignty over J&K.

Just as the Chinese decision to call Arunachal Pradesh as 'South Tibet' has begun to gain international traction, the repeated references to the length of Sino-Indian border as 2,000 km is bound to have an impact on the global discourse about J&K.

Beijing's new position underlines China's centrality in J&K. While the Indian debate on Kashmir is usually focussed on Pakistan, China's presence in the state might be emerging as a decisive new factor.

India claims that China is in occupation of nearly 38,000 sq km of Indian territory in the Ladakh region of J&K. China is also in control of nearly 5,000 sq km of Shaksgam valley in PoK ceded by Islamabad to Beijing in March 1963.

Until now India has sought to negotiate its territorial disputes in Kashmir separately with Pakistan and China. India might now have to come to terms with the changing geopolitics of J&K, where India's two fronts with Pakistan and China come together.

SHASH2K2

I think Time has come to start showing Tibet and Inner mangolia as disputed territory in our version of maps and stapled Visa for Tibbet, Inner Mangolia and Xinxiang province .

Kahte hain "laton ke bhoot baton se nahi maante "

ganesh177

Country flag
I am sick of this chinese bullying tactics. Its time for indian leaders to grow balls of iron.

Iamanidiot

the Chinese are trying to negotiate with indians over a goose egg.I think Manmohan called all of Chinese actions bluff and this may have pissed the Chinese to no end.I say playing hardball with the Chinese is the best thing to do

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
It really does not matter what China has to say or do.

What matters to us, is what we have to say.

Our line should be vociferously presented to the world.

That is all that counts.

Anyway, how do the Chinese count? On their fingers and thumbs?

nimo_cn

Country flag
I think Time has come to start showing Tibet and Inner mangolia as disputed territory in our version of maps and stapled Visa for Tibbet, Inner Mangolia and Xinxiang province .

Good idea, I am looking forward to that.

I think you should be the PM of India, instead of MMS.

SHASH2K2

Good idea, I am looking forward to that.

I think you should be the PM of India, instead of MMS.
Thanks a lot for the encouragement. Pray that I never become PM of India because once I become PM I will start hitting with mountain if someone hit a stone at my country.

Illusive

Country flag
Are Chinese policies so confusing that their own Prime minister doesn't understands. When he said that China is seriously addressing the issue on stapled visa given to people there did'nt he just contradict this news . I think we don't share a boundry with China at all, its Tibet.

Oracle

Well you can talk from your ass too. This is what China is good at. This good thing is that it will bring doomsday for China, soon. Give me the name of a single country other than Pakistan who has not spoken ill about China? Hacking, spying, tainted farm products, piracy and what not. World powers need China now because of their economic miseries, but wait - once they get their economy back on track, China is sure to suffer. WWIII will be fought by Pakistan, China, NK, Iran etc Vs rest of the World. Now, imagine the consequences!

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
I don't know what to make of all this. Though I never had any love for Pakistan, I was a proponent of Indo-China friendship and I used to think that the ghosts of the old 1962 business and other irritants could be buried with increasing trade, and that a good economically vibrant future awaits the region as a whole. Their increasing closeness to Pakistan, and their foreign policy w.r.t. India is really beginning to change my views, as is the attitude of a few Chinese scoundrels on the internet (not all). I am beginning to have serious doubts whether a healthy relationship is possible at all.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I don't know what to make of all this. Though I never had any love for Pakistan, I was a proponent of Indo-China friendship and I used to think that the ghosts of the old 1962 business and other irritants could be buried with increasing trade, and that a good economically vibrant future awaits the region as a whole. Their increasing closeness to Pakistan, and their foreign policy w.r.t. India is really beginning to change my views, as is the attitude of a few Chinese scoundrels on the internet (not all). I am beginning to have serious doubts whether a healthy relationship is possible at all.
Average chinese people are good people but there govt is greedy and wants to remain in power and doesn't desire that India becomes powerful even though we dont want anything but friendship with china. But we can only do so much and if were backed into a corner then there is no choice but confrontation.

kickok1975

You should stick to your belief because more poeple lost their faith will put country in real danger. I myself have unshakable faith on Indo-China friendship even though we have so many difficulties. My basic assumptions are:

1. War is very unlikely in foreseeable future between two countries, even Indo-Pakistan
2. No country can "defeat" or "occupy" the other one should a war happen. It's a waste of money, man power and lose-lose situation. Western country would be really happy to see such scenario because they will have billions slave labor again.
3. India and China share more common grounds than differences
4. India and China need continue developing for the sake of half of world population, or face riots internally and humiliation from outside. We will be relying more on each other and benefit from each other's economic development, no doubt.
5. The current relationship between India, Pakistan and China are road block for better relationship. But it's temporary and will be resolved given enough time

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Counter that with state run media of India questioning Tibet and Taiwan. That will shut them up. What's the big alarm about? If we do the same especially with Tibetans living in India, the world will take equal note.

badguy2000

Respected Member

you even can show the Moon and the Zenith star belongs to India on your maps,if you would like to do....bu so what?

it is just "putting your head into deserts like Ostriches " to show off your bravery by drawing maps.

to draw a loose line on maps can not add one inch land to India...heheh

Last edited:

SHASH2K2

you even can show the Moon and the Zenith star belongs to India on your maps,if you would like to do....bu so what?

it is just "putting your head into deserts like Ostriches " to show off your bravery by drawing maps.

Its really fun to read qualities of ostrich from an Ostrich . Its china which is showing its bravery or I should say cowardice by drawing new maps every 5 months or so. We donot have greed for territories of other countries. we demand only what is rightfully ours. If we claim history we can claim entrire pakistan , bangladesh ,Afghanistan and some parts from China too. But you see India never laid claims like greedy chinese. we freed up Bangladesh from tyranny instead of merging them with INDIA.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles