China establishes 'air-defence zone' over East China Sea

Compersion

Country flag
can someone explain the difference between ADZ and ADIZ.

also the PRC decision makers wont make such a move without analyzing the consequences. does it alter the status quo is always a question one needs to ask when PRC does anything. The PRC decision makers like what they have. perhaps this is a move for the internal audience.

what happens if the Japanese play smart and start talking to Taiwanese and Americans (and ignoring the PRC) about coooling the tempreture(s) in the areas.

Also do the Americans consider the islands disputed.

J20!

Country flag
Also do the Americans consider the islands disputed.
According to US Sec Def. Hagel:

"The United States does not take a position on the ultimate sovereignty of the islands, but we do recognize they are under the administration of Japan and fall under our security treaty obligations,"

Take what you will from that statement, but it basically translates to: dispute them all you want, but if it comes to a fight, we're on Japan's side.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
western media are criticizing China for establishing air defence zone without consulting with Japan as if Japanese ever notified China in 1960s when they set up air defence zone that as close as 130 miles away from China. they didn't even mention that Japanese established air defence zone along Chinese territory decades ago.

i am always glad that i learned English and can read original masterpieces published by western media, otherwise i wouldnt appreciate the hypocrisy displayed by western media.

Sent from my HUAWEI T8951 using Tapatalk 2
I take from what you say that China justifies its action now based on what Japan did 50 years ago?

Its admirable that you know English, but I don't need to know Chinese to see that China's news media are controlled by the government, unlike the western media, however hypocritical the latter may be.

happy

I take from what you say that China justifies its action now based on what Japan did 50 years ago?

Its admirable that you know English, but I don't need to know Chinese to see that China's news media are controlled by the government, unlike the western media, however hypocritical the latter may be.
Rightly said. In any case, whatever the reasons that China is projecting, the idea that it is a retaliation for Japs action 50 years ago sounds like dogs barking after thieves left and it will have repercussions only for China.

Gives a perfect excuse for all China's enemies to unite.

IMO a diplomatic blunder !!

nimo_cn

Country flag

yes, i do, because Japanese never cancelled the so called air defence zone.

please explain to me why is Japan allowed to set up air defence zone, while China is not?

i am glad that you didnt deny the hypocrisy, it's too obvious, isn't it?

the unbelievable thing is that you guys attempted to make fun of China by citing these articles.

nimo_cn

Country flag
Rightly said. In any case, whatever the reasons that China is projecting, the idea that it is a retaliation for Japs action 50 years ago sounds like dogs barking after thieves left and it will have repercussions only for China.

Gives a perfect excuse for all China's enemies to unite.

IMO a diplomatic blunder !!
let us say that China is doing this in retaliation to what Japanese did 50 years ago and it's a diplomatic blunder.

but did you notice that few western media care to go in that direction, criticizing China for retaliating Japan? instead, they are all acting blind and deaf, unanimously silent over the Japanese air defence zone set up in the 1960s. they are all making it look like China is taking the first move, arent they?

Last edited:

Impluseblade

Japan's air defense zone is established 50 years ago. But Japan aggressively and unilaterally expanded itz ADZ in May 2013.

--http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Defense_Identification_Zone_%28North_America%29

Japan has an AIDZ that overlaps most of its Exclusive Economic Zone. In May 2013, Japan extended its ADIZ westward, causing controversy with its neighbours. The new Japnese ADIZ was extended 22km west of the original half way line (123 Degree East) between Taiwan and Japan. [9] Also, the extended Japanese ADIZ is only 130km from the coast of mainland China at its closest point. [10]

J20!

Country flag

I dislike the term "western" media. Its too all-encompassing and generalist. Try "corporate" media, the news sources Americans and Europeans live on, CNN, MSNBC, FOX news, the BBC, SKY news etc etc; news sources that heavily influence the general populace in the US or Europe.

I don't mean to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but to any open-minded, neutral and OBJECTIVE observer, corporate media outlets constantly following the government narrative on domestic and foreign news events with no adversarial challenge to get to the actual on the ground facts is pretty telling.

I wouldn't call western corporate media "government controlled", maybe government influenced would be more diplomatic. I know I keep bleating on about it, but coverage of the Snowden case was revealing in more ways than one. Even just the CNN coverage of the Iranian deal is quite amusing.

Either way, call it tit-for-tat or whatever, but what Japan did "50 years ago" is still very much in effect today, and has strategic and geopolitical implications for the Diaoyu dispute and much more.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Japan's air defense zone is established 50 years ago. But Japan aggressively and unilaterally expanded itz ADZ in May 2013.

--Air Defense Identification Zone (North America) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Japan has an AIDZ that overlaps most of its Exclusive Economic Zone. In May 2013, Japan extended its ADIZ westward, causing controversy with its neighbours. The new Japnese ADIZ was extended 22km west of the original half way line (123 Degree East) between Taiwan and Japan. [9] Also, the extended Japanese ADIZ is only 130km from the coast of mainland China at its closest point. [10]
Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.

Could you give the link as also the title of what to search for?

Even this is not giving the result

-Air Defense Identification Zone (North America) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

W.G.Ewald

Professional
I dislike the term "western" media. Its too all-encompassing and generalist. Try "corporate" media, the news sources Americans and Europeans live on, CNN, MSNBC, FOX news, the BBC, SKY news etc etc; news sources that heavily influence the general populace in the US or Europe.
Those news sources, and you can add to that list, are just terrible. If there is a major ongoing event I will watch CNN, but otherwise they are all fluff. It seems to see the news, we must see unending lip gloss, bare shoulders, and thigh high skin exposure.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
yes, i do, because Japanese never cancelled the so called air defence zone.

please explain to me why is Japan allowed to set up air defence zone, while China is not?

i am glad that you didnt deny the hypocrisy, it's too obvious, isn't it?

the unbelievable thing is that you guys attempted to make fun of China by citing these articles.

We make fun of China because it's so easy to do, and it makes Chinese on DFI swarm. :cool2:

Impluseblade

Last edited by a moderator:

happy

let us say that China is doing this in retaliation to what Japanese did 50 years ago and it's a diplomatic blunder.

but did you notice that few western media care to go in that direction, criticizing China for retaliating Japan? instead, they are all acting blind and deaf, unanimously silent over the Japanese air defence zone set up in the 1960s. they are all making it look like China is taking the first move, arent they?

You did not understand my quote

sounds like dogs barking after thieves left and it will have repercussions only for China.
If China has anything to complain it should have been done 50 years ago. Not now.

Now anything china says or does is counted as aggression and will be dealt as such.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
China should avoid conflict over islands: MACTAIPEI, CNA

TAIPEI--The Mainland Affairs Council (MAC), Taiwan's top China policy planning body, said Saturday that China should shelve the territorial dispute over the Diaoyutai Islands in the East China Sea and should not try to resolve the issue by military means.

The Diaoyutai Islands are an inherent part of the territory of the Republic of China (Taiwan), a fact that all parties concerned should face squarely, the MAC said in response to CNA's questions on China's demarcation of an air defense zone over the disputed islands earlier in the day.

The islands, known as Senkaku in Japan and Diaoyu in China, are claimed by Taiwan, China and Japan.

The MAC said China should avoid accelerating regional tensions through the use of military action and should set aside the dispute over the islands in line with an East China Sea Peace Initiative proposed by Taiwan's President Ma Ying-jeou.

China announced Saturday that it has established an East China Sea Air Defense Identification Zone (ADIZ) that includes the Diaoyutai Islands.

Any aircraft entering the ADIZ must abide by its rules or be prepared to face "emergency defensive measures," China's Defense Ministry said in a statement.

"China's armed forces will adopt defensive emergency measures to respond to aircraft that do not cooperate in the identification zone or refuse to follow the instructions," China's defense ministry said.

A Chinese defense ministry spokesman Yang Yujun said, however, that the move does not include normal flights in the area.

"Normal flights by international airliners in the East China Sea Air Defense Identification Zone will not be affected in any way," Yang told Chinese media.

"It is not directed against any specific country or target," he said, adding that China "has always respected the freedom of over-flight in accordance with international law."

Meanwhile, Taiwan's Civil Aeronautics Administration (CAA) said that China's move was aimed at regulating military flights.

Taiwan's civil aircraft, which usually file flight plans and flights across the Taiwan Strait, continue as usual in the zone, the CAA said.

However, Taiwan's MAC, along with its defense and foreign ministries, said they will keep a close eye on developments regarding China's move and will take measures to protect Taiwan's national security and sovereignty.

Regular direct cross-strait flights have increased to 670 per week since the launch of weekend charter flights between Taiwan and China in July 2008.

China should avoid conflict over islands: MACTAIPEI, CNA - The China Post

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
why you guys stop at small zone ? claim the entire earth..........

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Another version

Last edited by a moderator:

J20!

Country flag
why you guys stop at small zone ? claim the entire earth..........
*rolls eyes*

Why comment on something you know nothing about if you wont respond to the bare facts?

An ADIZ is not a claim to the airspace.

But I'm wasting my laptop's RAM explaining to a brick wall. Research the topic then get back to me.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles