China Economy: News & Discussion

amoy

I have been here saying that for the last 9 years, I am glad someone finally believes me.
Ya thank u for your hard work for so long. :biggrin2: and @asianobserve as well

Mind u of the old seriers of Doom and Gloom of China's Economy dated back to Oct 4, 2011 . Do more dig-up to entertain your 6th sense LOL.

Oft' enough most people are only self- strengthening what they choose to believe (or wish to see).

I assume u as non-Indians have been both India and China, and deep in heart understnd the stark differences. :devil: But hey, u don't have to amuse our Indian hosts all the time (with an epic portfolio of 9-year failed prediction!)

Last edited:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I certainly did not say that China will collapse. I just noted China's fudged economic figures and other bad practices.

Nicky G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Interesting thread on the massive and persavive fraud that CPC is:

These are particularly funny:

The Ultranationalist

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
A black Friday in China as exports shrink, stocks plunge and homeowners face new taxes
  • Overseas shipments down by a fifth in February, stock market loses 4 per cent and lawmakers move a step closer to taxing property owners
  • Figures challenge widely held assumption that a likely trade deal with the US and Beijing’s policy easing moves will be enough to stabilise China’s economy

Frank Tang

Zhou Xin

Published: 10:37pm, 8 Mar, 2019

TOP PICKS

Economy

How a sharp slowdown in China could affect Asian economies

16 Feb 2019

Economy

US-China trade war hit ‘about half’ of southern China businesses

26 Feb 2019

Economy

Will this new law level the field for foreign investors in China?

9 Mar 2019

This Week in Asia

I’d side with rich China over fickle US, Malaysia’s Mahathir says

8 Mar 2019

Economy

China ‘exaggerated’ GDP data by 2 percentage points, new study says

7 Mar 2019

News

Hamburger diplomacy: common ground in US-China trade war talks

9 Mar 2019

Economy

China to make forced technology transfer illegal to woo foreign investors

7 Mar 2019

Economy

Export data ‘very worrying’ for both China, Singapore’s economies

18 Feb 2019

News

‘Made in China 2025’ a waste of taxpayers’ money: ex-finance minister

8 Mar 2019

Economy

China to become ‘normal emerging economy’, research firm says

8 Mar 2019

T&C and Privacy Policy
The signs of economic trouble, market distress and policy uncertainty in China combined to push down Asian equity markets in their biggest fall so far this year on Friday.

The figures also suggest that the risks to China’s economy could be bigger than expected and challenge the widely held assumption that a likely trade deal with the US and Beijing’s policy easing moves will be enough to stabilise the economy.

US-China trade decline leads to 20.7 per cent plunge in China’s total exports in February

Macquarie Capital economist Larry Hu said the weaker-than-expected trade data was “the first wake-up call” for the Chinese stock market, which had rallied on optimistic expectations.

Hu said the deep fall in exports showed there was no guarantee of a rosy future and it would take an improvement in economic data in coming months to indicate whether China’s US$13.6 trillion economy was on a solid footing.

The market sell-off in Shanghai and Shenzhen, partly triggered by a rare research report by Citic Securities recommending investors sell shares of People’s Insurance, came amid concerns that regulators could intervene to temper sharp rises seen in previous sessions.

Bocom International chief strategist Hong Hao said Friday’s market fall was a result of rapidly increasing leverage – investors borrowing heavily to buy stocks. Hong added that heavy leverage was an important factor in the 2015 stock market rout.

“There’s no way that the stock index rose and plunged so abruptly without a significant increase in leverage,” he said.

In addition, investors may have taken advantage of the stock link between Shanghai and Hong Kong to bring money into mainland China. “The borrowing [interest] rate is very low in Hong Kong, like 2 per cent. So why not borrow and invest in Chinese stocks?” he said.

China’s exports shot up dramatically in January boosted by EU and Asean orders, despite US trade war
On the trade war front, Hong said that while Beijing and Washington had agreed not to escalate tariffs for now, there was no guarantee that the two countries could reach a final deal. And even with a deal, there still could be new risks for China, he said.

“The risks will remain there even if a deal is reached because it might be achieved on some harsh terms” Hong said.

“For instance, if China is required to maintain the stability of the exchange rate, it will have to burn foreign exchange reserves to do it.”

amoy

I happen to dig up another entertaining thread initiated His Honorable @asianobserve in 2011
China Economy Will Collapse By The End Of 2011
:balleballe:
Would it be a stain on his fortune-telling career? Maybe he'd thought it would've slipped away unnoticed.
===

Tesla's Shanghai assembly plant could be completed by May

STR via Getty Images

Tesla's Shanghai-based Gigafactory could have its assembly plant ready as soon as May and its production line operational by the end of the year, according to Reuters. The news service reports that a Shanghai city government official made the comments "on the sidelines" of an annual parliamentary meeting in Beijing this week, although no further details were given.

The agreement between Tesla and Shanghai has been in the works since June 2017, with the EV-maker acquiring the 860,000 square-meter plot of land for the factory in October last year. As Reuters notes, a full-fledged auto assembly factory can take up to two years to build, so a May completion date would be surprising. However, the Shanghai government has thrown its weight behind the project, which would support China's plans to open up its car market.

At the time of Tesla's acquisition of the land (which is rumored to have cost around $140 million), the then-profitless company was staring down the barrel of a billion-dollar debt to its creditors, which also put a question mark over the viability of the Shanghai factory. However, the company turned a profit in both Q3 and Q4 of 2018, and began 2019 with a round of layoffs in a bid to increase profits further, so it's quite feasible that Tesla will end up gaining its foothold in China this year as it originally hoped to.

smooth manifold

Country flag
Huawei boss talks in "The Interview". Let's wait and see how long Huawei will survive under American fierce crackdown?

Last edited:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
In line with that, sales of new energy vehicles (NEV) have been a bright spot, rising 18.1% in April to 97,000 vehicles, CAAM said. NEV sales jumped almost 62 percent last year even as the broader auto market contracted.
In line with that, NEV subsidies are ending soon and sales will collapse just like the rest of the auto market.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Huawei boss talks in "The Interview". Let's wait and see how long Huawei will survive under American fierce crackdown?

Hiawei is a PLA front. Even if I do not like government intervention into business, I do not like more PLA Trojan Horses, the biggest of which is Huawei

shiphone

Country flag
National 6 Emission Standard is coming this July....lol....idiot...
few are willing to buy current National 5 Emission Standard vehicles in stock but waiting for the New standard vehicles coming in the second half of the year...

and some provinces would jump to National 6B(Euro 6b) directly...

no smoking

Country flag
National 6 Emission Standard is coming this July....lol....idiot...
few are willing to buy current National 5 Emission Standard vehicles in stock but waiting for the New standard vehicles coming in the second half of the year...

and some provinces would jump to National 6B(Euro 6b) directly...
Don't call him that!
As the member of the bureau of strategic fooling, Comrade Armand2REP did a great job in this forum. When his colleague - Mr Godong Chang was exposed and became a laugh stock among Americans, Armand2REP already earned himself a "CHINI EXPERT".

nimo_cn

Country flag
Hiawei is a PLA front. Even if I do not like government intervention into business, I do not like more PLA Trojan Horses, the biggest of which is Huawei
what a load of crap! if HUAWEI was a PLA front, then what are companies like Google, Facebook, YouTube, Apple, Yahoo, etc, which are the backbone of NSA's prism project?

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
what a load of crap! if HUAWEI was a PLA front, then what are companies like Google, Facebook, YouTube, Apple, Yahoo, etc, which are the backbone of NSA's prism project?

US companies are usually more independent and resistant from US government than Chinese quasi private companies with the CCP. I believe all these giant Chinese companies are CCP fronts!

Global Defence

New threads

Articles