China Defeated: The Nathu La skirmish

kickok1975

I have to admit I don't know nothing about "Nathu La " until now. However, I didn't know 1962 war either until accidently read an Indo-China relation book while I was in college. Most of people don't even hear about it. No official text book will spend more than a paragraph covering about it. Although such memory appears still fresh in most Indian members here, 1962 war has been long forgotten in China. Chinese people have too many things to worry about. A war with India is the least thing we want and think about.

My advice to some hawks here is: Get over and move on. If you mind stay in 1962 war, your country will stay there.

Tomcat

agreed kick off but there is a saying that those who forget their history are bound to repet it and the reson why we dont forget it is the fact that the prc backstabbed us after telling that you guys where our brothers etc byr a good half of the balme is to be given to that pathatic fool of a PM nehru

kickok1975

agreed kick off but there is a saying that those who forget their history are bound to repet it and the reson why we dont forget it is the fact that the prc backstabbed us after telling that you guys where our brothers etc byr a good half of the balme is to be given to that pathatic fool of a PM nehru
I understand your frustration toward China regardless who was to blame for 1962 war. But some people here are talking about another war to revenge it. You can see such kind of thread all the time in this forum which concerns me.

Assume India can humiliate defeat China and declare victory. Do you think peace will come? Will China revenge? It's true we shouldn't forget history, but we should not repeat dark history again and again. For China, we were humiliated and were defeated in my conflicts with a variety of countries. But we just can't revenge, it's already history and we have to get over it and move on. That's how you deal with your neighbors: Your kid got beaten up by next doors boy, you should find solution warn his parent not to repeat instead of burn your neighbor's house. And most important thing is: Even though 1962 war is considered a Chinese victory, China still paid the price and lost many lives because of it. It's a hurt on both end, the only difference is who got beaten more. There is no true winner in most wars.

Last edited:

SPIEZ

Country flag
I have to admit I don't know nothing about "Nathu La " until now. However, I didn't know 1962 war either until accidently read an Indo-China relation book while I was in college. Most of people don't even hear about it. No official text book will spend more than a paragraph covering about it. Although such memory appears still fresh in most Indian members here, 1962 war has been long forgotten in China. Chinese people have too many things to worry about. A war with India is the least thing we want and think about.

My advice to some hawks here is: Get over and move on. If you mind stay in 1962 war, your country will stay there.
very true !!! Kickok you made my day

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Kickok,

Just to improve my overall understanding of the 1962 operations, could you let us know the official Chinese view as to what led to 1962 and any official report of the conduct of operations?

I don't think there is any necessity of going to war again since it is fruitless and will not lead to any conclusive result and instead it will lead to more acrimony.

kickok1975

Kickok,

Just to improve my overall understanding of the 1962 operations, could you let us know the official Chinese view as to what led to 1962 and any official report of the conduct of operations?

I don't think there is any necessity of going to war again since it is fruitless and will not lead to any conclusive result and instead it will lead to more acrimony.
The official report in China's isn't thrilled at all about this war. Of course it blames India as aggressor for her "forward policy". But the party got most blames is British colonist and their so called "McMahon line", which is blamed as root cause for Indo-China conflict. Most report I read spend more time rethinking what actually caused war and what should China do in the future. Here is a good article I wish you can translate to read. ÖÐÓ¡1962Äê±ß½çÕ½Õù¼°ÆäÓ°Ïì_·´Ë¼ÖÐÓ¡Õ½Õù£ºÓ¡¶ÈÈ˲»Ã÷°×ƾʲôȥ¼¤Å­½â·Å¾ü --- ido.3mt.com.cn. Contrary to some biased opinions, there is very minimum excitement on China's victory.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
China only remember 1962 coz it was a victory, Unfortunately Indian media too remember only 62, Few People know abt 67 opeartions and 87, The 62 defeat was avenged in 67 and 87..

What ever the past, Better not repeated again..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Kunal Bhai please bring some light into the 67 and 87 conflict with China.....
1967:

Nathu La where Chinese and Indian forces are deployed barely thirty yards apart, closest anywhere on the 4000 km Sino-Indian border and the border remains undemacrated. Chinese hold the northern shoulder of the pass while Indian Army holds the southern shoulder. Two dominating features south and north of Nathu La namely Sebu La and Camel's back were held by the Indians. Artillery observation post officers deployed on these two features have an excellent observation into Chinese depth areas whereas from Northern shoulder, Chinese have very little observations into Indian depth areas. This factor proved crucial in the clash that ensued. At the time of the clash, 2 Grenadiers was holding Nathu La. This battalion was under the command of Lt Col (Later Brigadier) Rai Singh. The battalion was under the Mountain Brigade being commanded by Brig MMS Bakshi, MVC.e engineers and jawans started erecting long iron pickets from Nathu La to Sebu La along the perceived border while 2 Grenadiers and Artillery Observation Post Officers at Sebu La and Camel's Back were on alert. Immediately the Chinese Political Commissar, with a section of Infantry came to the centre of the Pass where Lt. Col Rai Singh, CO 2 Grenadiers was standing with his commando platoon. The Commissar asked Lt Col Rai Singh to stop laying the wire. Orders to the Indian Army were clear. They were not to blink. An argument started which soon built up into a scuffle. In the ensuing melee, the commissar got roughed up. Thereafter the Chinese went up back to their bunkers and engineers resumed laying the wire.Within a few minutes of this, a whistle was heard on the Chinese side followed by murderous medium machine gun fire from north shoulder. The pass is completely devoid of cover and the jawans of 70 Field Company and 18 Rajput were caught in the open and suffered heavy casualties which included Col Rai Singh who was wounded. He was awarded MVC later. Two brave officers – Capt Dagar of 2 Grenadiers and Major Harbhajan Singh of 18 Rajput rallied a few troops and tried to assault the Chinese MMG but both died a heroic death.Within half an hour, Chinese artillery opened up on the pass as well as in the depth areas but it was mostly prophylactic fire due to lack of observation and failed to do much damage. Meanwhile we as artillery observation post officers asked for artillery fire, permission for which came a little later. Because of excellent domination and observation from Sebu La and Camel's back, artillery fire was most effective and most of the Chinese bunkers on North shoulder and in depth were completely destroyed and Chinese suffered very heavy casualties which by their own estimates were over 400. The artillery duel thereafter carried on day and night. For the next three days, the Chinese were taught a lesson. On 14 September, Chinese threatened use of Air Force if shelling did not stop. By then the lesson had been driven home and an uneasy ceasefire came about.The situation again flared up twenty days later when on 1 October 1967 a face-off between India and China took place at Cho La, another pass on the Sikkim-Tibet border a few kilometers north of Nathu La. Despite initial casualties, 7/11 GR and 10 JAK RIF stood firm and forced the Chinese to withdraw nearly three kilometers away to a feature named Kam Barracks where they remain deployed till date. Cho La Pass is firmly in Indian hands. Indian Army had got better of the Chinese yet again.
The Centre for Land Warfare Studies (CLAWS)

1987:

The 1987 Sino-Indian skirmish was the third military conflict between the Chinese army and Indian army that occurred at Sumdorong Chu Valley,By the early 1980s, while the forces to man the defences were ready, the nodes were not, and the greatest weakness was in the fact that the servicing road network had not been built. The decision was taken to resume the defence infrastructure construction.India's efforts to occupy Thag La was the casus belli for the October 1962 Chinese military attack on India. Because there were no other feasible defensive locations north of Tawang, the government had more or less decided that in the event of a new war, they would abandon the town and prepare for battle at the Se La pass to its east. However, after the 1980 review, it was decided by the military strategists that it was important to defend Tawang in a future conflict,The defence forces stayed through the summer and returned in winter. This procedure was followed for two years. In 1986, Indian forces found that the Chinese had preceded them and set up semi-permanent structures there.In Feb 1986 the army nominated a new chief, General K. Sundarji, who was determined to press the decisions taken by General Krishna Rao. In addition, Sundarji sought government permission to conduct an exercise named Operation Cheaquerboard to see how quickly troops based in the Assam plains could take up their positions on the Sino-Indian border. As part of the exercise, towards the end of the year, the army landed a brigade of troops at Zimithaung, south of Hathung La using its new heavy lift Mi-26 helicopters The exercise involved 10 divisions and several http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squadron_%28aviation%29the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Air_ForceIAF and a redeployment of troops at several places in North East India. The Indian Army moved
3 divisions to positions around Wangdung,[SUP]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Chequerboard#cite_note-0[/SUP] where they were supplied and maintained solely by air. These troop reinforcements were over and above the 50,000 troops already present across Arunachal Pradesh. These forces occupied the Hathung La, across the Namka Chu from Thag La. All this alarmed the Chinese forces in the region; they responded with alacrity and moved up their forces to take up positions all along the LAC. At points near this area-- Sulu La, Bum La, etc. the troops were now face to face with their Indian counterparts. Due to this action Their is a agreement brought in an interesting concept of "mutual and equal" security where thinning of forces was envisaged, based on geographical and logistical considerations. However, its most important element is to have the two sides work out a mutually acceptable Line of Actual Control. As of now the two sides have their own versions of the Line and there are points, especially in the Sikkim-Bhutan-India trijunction, the Sumdorong Chu area and so on where the claims are disputed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Chequerboard

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
It is renowned in India, it isn't even a footnote in China. If you think China cares about loses look at history, half a million just to save a tin-pot dictator whose country is a thorn in their side. Several tens of thousands to gain nothing. China hasn't shut up about it, they talk about beating your ass in 62 until the cows come home. They feel superior and there is no chest thumping and denial from the Indian side that changes the reality of what they feel. It isn't a debate about how significant it is to India or world history... the Chinese have forgotten it and they certainly aeren't scared of what they characterise as their poor little backwards neighbour to the South that they stomped in 62'.
There are more than dozen small battles that took place between the PLA and us after their defeat in 1967. It has covered anywhere between a few hours to three days constantly. My previous generation is a witness to it. Of course a communist madcap dictatorship won't be willing to highlight its failures as it would shed light on their whole false invincible image that they've sold to their people.

Usually people aren't scared of any serious threat in two situations:

1- They don't know anything about it at all (case of Chinese common people, who're only fed about 1962 and nothing else).

2- When they are so significantly competent to win a war without ANY losses at all. (certainly not the case).

BTW I am sure that your European teammate Portugal also doesn't teach its kids today how we thrashed the so-called European power to that little mouse hole they call country now, back in 60s.

Usually people who've issues with self esteem never are willing to discuss their flaws. Talk about a "weak" neighbor. :lol:

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Kunal, there were more than a dozen conflicts out of which only three major are reported. The rest were very very minimal. Why do you think the Reds never tried misadventures after 62 till now? It was because post 67 beating they got, they knew that their Commie bullying will be bunted out. You don't always get lucky for the opposition to have a pathetic leadership like we had in 62.

Forget fighting us, CCP was spanked and kicked out of a divided and weak Vietnam. Not just them but the US which is a superpower.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
Nice to see that INDIA has given a nose-cutting answer to the Chinese misadventures. But what about the recent intrusions into INDIA. Kunal bhai please bring light into the recent intrusions of the Chinese into the INDIAN Territory.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Nice to see that INDIA has given a nose-cutting answer to the Chinese misadventures. But what about the recent intrusions into INDIA. Kunal bhai please bring light into the recent intrusions of the Chinese into the INDIAN Territory.
The latest in Ladakh once again. The reason Ladakh is being targeted is because it is in J&K which is a nuisance to us due to LAND OF PURE already. Check the Yahoo news out. It has a video of it. Since they can't nose around in Arunachal anymore without getting their feet axed, now they're trying Ladakh.

As for the reaction, ask this question to Munnimohan and Madam G. :D

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
What record? Indo-China?
In 185 battles that France has fought over the past 800 years, our armies have won 132 times, lost 43 times and drawn only 10. That doesn't count the interventions we have won recently. It is the best battle record of any nation in the world.

You think we dont know that. The PLA leadership is quite aware, there is a reason they havent attacked even after we have been extremely provocative, they have gone to wars for lesser reasons. We dont care whether they know it or not. We do.
Apparently you don't know that chest thumping about how China is afraid of India. They haven't attacked because they are on a "Peaceful Rise" strategy to develop their economy before they start expanding their borders.

Again, we are aware of that, what is your point?
The point is you don't get that China is not afraid of India. They creep over that border every day pushing inches and India does nothing.

The decision makers know, that matters to us. Nobody has ever claimed, the Chicoms trolls knows anyways. Who is ignornant over here, just 2 people, 1. You, who is not aware that we dont give a damn. 2. Chicoms, who dont know what we can do to them, and have in the past.
CCP doesn't care about your power. Starting wars will hurt their economy from Western sanctions and that is what they are afraid of. They have already shown what they think of India by harassing your ships in the SCS.

pmaitra

In 185 battles that France has fought over the past 800 years, our armies have won 132 times, lost 43 times and drawn only 10. That doesn't count the interventions we have won recently. It is the best battle record of any nation in the world.
I wish you won the Battle of Plassey. You lost badly to the British. So did your ally, Siraj-ud-Daula. They even boxed your township Chandannagar by taking up the estuarine Hoogly Delta.

Adux

Country flag
Give 50 more years, France would be as inconsequential as Finland. Nobody cares about the stories of a 'has-been' nation.

Apparently you don't know that chest thumping about how China is afraid of India.They haven't attacked because they are on a "Peaceful Rise" strategy to develop their economy before they start expanding their borders

If they think they can take on one of the most strongest, biggest and modern nuclear armed nation in the world for some border dispute, I wish them good luck, because there would be only one rise after that would be of radiation.

The point is you don't get that China is not afraid of India. They creep over that border every day pushing inches and India does nothing.
I see you are not acquainted with Indian media. Point is, India is not afraid of China. It is imperative for us, and arms manufacturer's like you that Indians are generally way too peaceful and utopian than the average human being, it is important for us to create fear psychosis, in this we have the perfect target of a delusional chicom

CCP doesn't care about your power. Starting wars will hurt their economy from Western sanctions and that is what they are afraid of
Ofcourse they are not scared of a Nuclear armed nation, who is capable of making glass bowls out of CHina, and make sure they never rise ever again. You are laughable.

They have already shown what they think of India by harassing your ships in the SCS
Harassing what ships? Do you even know about the incident. There wont be a Chinese ship that would go peacefully in the Indian Ocean, if that ever happened, the chinese knows that quite well.

Neil

Country flag
remembering a war...

"I remember many a time when our senior generals came to us, and wrote to the defence ministry saying that they wanted certain things... If we had had foresight, known exactly what would happen, we would have done something else... what India has learnt from the Chinese invasion is that in the world of today there is no place for weak nations... We have been living in an unreal world of our own creation."
Jawaharlal Nehru, Rajya Sabha, 1963

Instead of "I", Nehru used the collective "we", a clear indication of his reluctance to own up his own mistakes as a man.

"The fact of the matter is that Nehru felt a gnawing of conscience throughout this episode. He knew that the blame for the disaster was more his than that of his loyal friend [defence minister V K Krishna Menon]," says journalist and historian Durga Das.

"The decision-making system during 1959-62 was starkly ad hoc and designed primarily to suit the personality of the Prime Minister -- who preferred to deal with these matters personally -- even Krishna Menon seldom took a stand on any point or even made a contribution when the Prime Minister was in the chair... in the Army Headquarters, it was General Kaul who had caught the Prime Minister's eye... It was not Krishna Menon who was primarily culpable for the practice of General Officers establishing direct access to politicians... It was Nehru who, many years previously, first established this irregularity," says the then director general of military operations, Brigadier (later Major General) D K Palit, in his book War in High Himalayas.

After the 1962 war, Nehru wrote to General B M Kaul ('Untold Story by Kaul) lamenting about Kaul having been blamed and having had to resign from the army for no fault of his.

This indicates Nehru's poor sense of judgement even after the event. Practically all military experts agree that Kaul was responsible for the debacle in NEFA in many ways. He showed utter lack of the knowledge of the higher-level conduct of war. More often than not, he was found away from his HQ flying in a helicopter personally doing things best left to his staff, while crucial battles were in progress on the borders. Though he displayed personal courage and dash of very high degree, he fully justified the doubts about his efficiency then expressed by many senior officers on account of his lack of operational experience.

The roots of politicisation of the army are to be found in Nehru's hatred for the man in uniform. Soon after Independence the first commander-in-chief of the Indian armed forces, General Sir Robert Lockhart, presented a paper outlining a plan for the growth of the Indian Army to Prime Minister Nehru.

Nehru's reply: "We don't need a defence plan. Our policy is non-violence. We foresee no military threats. You can scrap the army. The police are good enough to meet our security needs."

He didn't waste much time. On September 16, 1947, he directed that the army's then strength of 280,000 be brought down to 150,000. Even in fiscal 1950-51, when the Chinese threat had begun to loom large on the horizon, 50,000 army personnel were sent home as per his original plan to disband the armed forces.

After Independence, he once noticed a few men in uniform in a small office the army had in North Block, and angrily had them evicted.

It was only after the 1947-48 war in Jammu and Kashmir that he realised that the armed forces are an essential ingredient of any independent, sovereign nation. But he still wanted a compact army rather than great volume, whatever that meant. Defence requirements worked out after a careful assessment of threats carried no weight with him.

For some reason, he disliked Field Marshal K M Cariappa despite his excellent leadership during the 1947-48 war that saved Kashmir. But his attempts to supersede him and make General Rajendrasinhji the first commander-in-chief of India failed when Gen Rajendrasinhji declined.

Soon after Independence he separated the army, navy, and air force from a unified command and abolished the post of commander-in-chief of the armed forces, thus bringing down the status of the seniormost military chief.

He continued to demote the status of the three service chiefs at irregular intervals in the order of precedence in the official government protocol, a practice loyally continued by successive governments to the benefit of politicians and bureaucrats.

During the 1947-48 war with Pakistan in Kashmir, Nehru interfered with purely military decisions at will, which delayed the war and changed the ultimate outcome in Pakistan's favour. He developed a precedent to violate channels and levels of communications at that time. His penchant for verbal orders to the various army commanders, of which he kept no records, violated the chain of command.

The army thereafter reversed this trend as there was no direct interference from any of the defence ministers in the army's job and Nehru was totally engrossed in his statecraft.

That is until V K Krishna Menon arrived on the scene.

Menon, along with Nehru, caused havoc in the army's working, disregarding professional opinion and advice, violating all channels and levels of communication and encouraging the same within the army hierarchy, which ended with disastrous results in the Sino-Indian conflict. Like his boss, Menon believed in giving verbal orders and disliked records.

When the prime minister and the defence minister give an ear to a junior general over the heads of other generals, including the army chief, and the junior boasts about this, the morale and effectiveness of the senior officers is bound to suffer, even as the army hierarchy begins to disintegrate.

This is just what happened progressively in 1961-62. The cancer eventually entered the mainstream services and though there are strong tendencies to counter such evils ingrained within the armed forces culture, it is slowly but surely spreading, thanks to the generally weak Indian character.

After the infamous 'Jeep scandal' (purchase of Jeeps for the use of the army, which the army rejected on account of their poor condition, but was forced to accept since the Jeeps were already paid for), it became necessary to remove Krishna Menon, who had fixed that deal, from the post of high commissioner to the United Kingdom because of political and media pressure.

But Prime Minister Nehru rewarded him by making him Minister for Defence with Cabinet rank. This tradition has been faithfully carried forward to date by the followers of Nehru and by politicians who vehemently opposed him and the policies of the Congress party, with equal vigour. In power and out of power, political compulsions seem to demand different ethics.

It is not out of place to mention here that the government dropped the case slapped on the nondescript company that had supplied the Jeeps soon after Krishna Menon took over as defence minister.

Krishna Menon was an extremely strong-willed, intelligent man with a caustic tongue. The credit for making the first efforts to make India self-sufficient in defence production goes to him. According to B K Nehru, he alone among the politicians, other than Jawaharlal Nehru, had any understanding of foreign affairs in those early years after Independence. (Among the bureaucrats the only knowledgeable person was Girija Shankar Bajpai.)

It stands to reason, therefore, that they depended only on each other for advice and everyone else, mainly the bureaucracy (as politicians hardly understood or took an interest in anything about foreign affairs, which were indeed very foreign to them), looked up to the Nehru-Menon combine for all foreign policy directives. Without any official position in the external affairs ministry, Menon was treated like royalty by sycophantic officials, mainly because Nehru looked on him with favour.

Menon thus wielded a lot more power than what his official position in the Cabinet permitted because of Nehru, and received far more importance than he deserved. Senior defence services officers, who should have been part of the government's foreign policy-making body, especially as regards the border problems, were never even consulted. In fact, those days apart from the ICS, they were the only ones with international exposure and possibly the only service that had had some training in international relations.

Keeping the defence services out resulted in a lame Indian foreign policy, without the backing of the required military muscle. Defence services officers are brought up to be straightforward and forthright. But having exercised their right to differ and express dissent, they will carry out the orders received to the best of their ability.

It must be said to Nehru's credit that he was at least open to differing points of view. Nevertheless, he would discard them easily after giving them a hearing. Menon, on the other hand, had no such generosity. He would mercilessly stamp down hard on any kind of dissent. Military men suffered severe insults from Menon and heavy snubs from Nehru, which virtually cut communications between the military high command and their civilian bosses.

Krishna Menon didn't possess an independent power base and drew his power from his proximity to Nehru. In fact the entire inner circle of Nehru, of which Krishna Menon was de facto whip, had no independent power base and drew its power from its proximity to Nehru. Naturally, its members guarded access to Nehru very carefully. Though politics was a lot more democratic and open those days and Nehru a lot more accessible and democratic than his daughter (who perfected the coterie politics) and those who followed her, the seeds of coterie politics were firmly sown under his stewardship, and in his days Menon was feared due to his sharp, swift and abrasive tongue as his chief whip.

Krishna Menon probably would have done better as foreign minister, but he proved to be a bad boss for defence. He disliked the set army procedures and tried to short-circuit them at every stage in every matter. He had a bad habit of treating his subordinates as if they were children. He took an immense pleasure in throwing files at the faces of senior officers. He often liked to summon his subordinates at odd times of the night to his residence for no work of importance. Insulting people came easily to him.

But the proud defence services officers refused to be cowed down. There were instances of the files getting thrown out of the office or back on the table. Some abruptly walked out on Menon without taking his permission.

So, to assert the civilian superiority over the military, Menon began to play favourites, tried to supersede capable commanders with pliant, weak-willed officers, and create protégés with, in all probability, Nehru's tacit approval. These officers naturally proved to be short on self-respect also and failed to stand up for their convictions when occasion demanded.

Major General Palit writes in Menon's defence: "In spite of his methods such as barbed tongue, biting criticism and blatant cajolery to subvert opposition, if any army officer stood his ground, he wouldn't overrule him. The trouble was that most of his [Menon's] directions to the army were ill-conceived, ill-informed and foolhardy."

But in a democracy, a majority of the government's directions, right or wrong, must prevail. Besides, Gen Palit is the only person to have defended Menon. Probably he saw his boss Kaul standing his ground before Menon, but then Kaul being Nehru's protégé could afford to do it.

Also, Gen Palit, though working in fairly close proximity to the defence ministry and minister, appears to have been surprisingly unaware of Menon's habit of threatening officers who dared to raise genuine questions with a court-martial. Lieutenant General S L Menezes recounts this habit of Menon in his book, Fidelity and Honour.

Generals Thapar, Sen and Kaul were literally forced by the Nehru-Menon combine to undertake actions that the military found unsound. But eventually trusting the judgement of intelligence chief B N Mullick and foreign affairs experts Nehru and Menon (in any case the highest decision-making body) that the Chinese were not serious about war and would not fight, these generals not only carried out their orders meekly but often with active co-operation.

Kaul, who got taken in by Mullick's philosophy after initially differing with it, probably was also responsible for giving some wrong ideas to Nehru and Menon and/or strengthening some of their wrong ideas. Gen Sen, sadly, displayed no mind of his own and vacillated greatly between two extremes right to the end of the war.

Finally, there came a time when these generals realised that 'an armed conflict with China was inevitable'. They also knew that our army was unprepared, ill-clothed and ill-armed and that the supply lines just didn't exist in that inaccessible terrain. If war broke out, our defeat was guaranteed. It must have also become clear to them that war meant sacrificing the officers and men under their command on their direct orders. They must have also clearly understood then that the battles they were getting forced into would bring disgrace to the nation and dishonour to the army.

Yet they did not have the courage of their convictions to offer their resignations, preferring to be tools in the hands of their political bosses and carrying out a suicidal act. A mass resignation of the senior generals would have forced the government to back down and seek a diplomatic solution to the border problem while simultaneously strengthening the armed forces to take on China in high-altitude terrain.

The government would have certainly gone out of its way to keep the whole matter secret, and thus there was no chance of any other risk emerging out of the episode. There was not a ghost of a chance of the acceptance of their resignations by the government, which just couldn't have risked the facts about the border conditions, poor diplomacy, and hasty demarcation of the borders without ratification by China becoming public.

But these generals, indulging first in self-ambition and later in survival, forgetting that the men under their command, whom they were soon to order to their deaths, had no public voice and depended entirely on their superiors' good judgement and strong backbone for protection.

General K S Thimayya was an officer with a brilliant military career. The British had always avoided giving higher command to Indian officers as a matter of policy. In such circumstances Thimayya was the only Indian officer to be made a brigadier and given command of an operational brigade during the Second World War.

Later, during the 1947-48 war with Pakistan, Major General Thimayya gave an excellent account of himself. He was, without doubt, the most popular general, loved by one and all in the army. In due time he became chief of army staff. To his bad luck, that time happened to coincide with Krishna Menon's entry into the ministry of defence.

Krishna Menon was a master in the art of one-upmanship, with many tricks up his sleeve. The writer Khushwant Singh has narrated many a humorous anecdote about this habit of Menon's. To get one up on General Thimayya and the military top brass, Menon employed a unique trick. On ceremonial occasions, he would often go and sit in the front seat of the car next to the driver, putting the accompanying army chief in a dilemma. How could he sit at the back while his boss, the defence minister/chief guest, was sitting in the humble front seat?

General Thimayya found a diplomatic answer to this. He would ask the driver to sit behind and take the wheel of the car himself, and engage the defence minister in casual chat. Engrossed in his self-importance, Krishna Menon never grasped the essence of this tactic. Perhaps he felt elated that he was making the general drive him around, as he made a habit of it and extended this practice to all times, everywhere.

The differences between Menon, the defence minister, and General Thimayya, chief of army staff, grew over the former's interference in military matters and promotions and postings of officers, as Thimayya refused to be browbeaten. There came a time when he resigned in protest (possibly on the matter of promoting Gen Kaul out of turn). Nehru worked his charm and managed to get Thimayya to withdraw his resignation, but eventually spoke in Parliament criticising the general, contrary to what he had promised.

Thimayya, the soldier, who had no public voice, was greatly pained at having been let down in this manner. The episode also showed that Nehru was capable of doublespeak and could go back on his word. There were pro and contrary views on the resignation episode. Thimayya was a recipient of considerable criticism for his resignation as well as its retraction. In the bargain, the nation was the loser.

When the time came for Thimayya to retire, it was expected that the brilliant commander of proven ability, Gen S P P Thorat, would be made chief superseding Gen Thapar. But the government opted for the meek and submissive Thapar, much to the disappointment of almost the entire officer cadre in the army.

This animosity between the army and the civilians led to loss of interaction between the two. And in the long term, the armed forces began to get increasingly politicised, a process that continues.

Civilian interference in defence matters, particularly promotions and postings, came to be accepted. There entered a most un-soldierly tradition into the services (some, not all) -- a tendency to be subservient to the bosses like junior civil officials. A tendency to toe the official line rather than display independent thinking/courage of conviction became the rule rather than the exception. Senior officers approached politicians for postings/appointments and courts for redressing their grievances. The Admiral Nadkarni-Koppikar-Bhagwat episode and the Admiral Bhagwat-Sushil Kumar-Harinder Singh episode are all offshoots of this same malaise.

In the short term, pliant officers got promoted. The depressing effect of this on the previously highly promoted officer-like qualities, such as fearless expression of opinion and initiative and dash, was incalculable. The era of mediocrity was hastened in the defence services on account of the politicisation, which, to our good fortune, the services did make an honest effort to resist then and have continued resisting till date. With mixed results.

http://www.rediff.com/news/2002/dec/18chin.htm

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles