China Cracks Down on 'American Idol'-Style Shows

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Chinese authorities are cracking down on how often broadcasters can air reality, dating and talent shows such as the Chinese versions of "American Idol" and "The Voice," which draw huge audiences.

Provincial broadcasters show such programs, which are cheap to produce and earn a lot of advertising revenue, on satellite channels seen around the country.

The official Xinhua News Agency reported that the "American Idol" kind of talent shows now need approval from the body that oversees broadcasting, which will license one such program per channel each quarter for prime-time viewing.

It also reported that new regulations require satellite channels to allocate no less than 30 percent of their weekly air time to topics including news, economics, culture and science from next year.
China Cracks Down on 'American Idol'-Style Shows - ABC News

Can't say I blame them.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Actually I don't like such talent hunts as they doesn't do justice with the really talented people.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
It is too fancifully advanced for the staid & dowdy Chinese people.

hbogyt

Good riddance. I've seen such shows in China. They had no talent at all.

sob

Mod
Country flag
new regulations require satellite channels to allocate no less than 30 percent of their weekly air time to topics including news, economics, culture and science from next year.
What will happen to our GEC channels.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles