China crackdown ahead of Tiananmen anniversary

amoy

The more one learns abt the world, the better one understands home affairs through a global prism.

To say heartlessly: 100+ death at Tian'anmen is very much dwarfed by est. 2,000 death toll in 2002 Gujarat riots. 43 dead in a Chinese high speed railway accident (galloping at 250kmph) seems nothing when we realize low-speed railway kills more in India (<100kmph?) :shocked:

And 300 million living without electricity, plus daily happenings in Manipur, Assam, Kashmir and so on, shall have given Chinese good references in review of the past.

Then more ... such as Istanbul crackdown,Tahrir Square, Ukraine...

Fortunately old fox Deng was still at the helm though behind the curtain at that time. Of course in reflection it could have been done in a civilized way like with tear gas, water cannon etc.

India affords us lessons that merit attention!

Last edited:

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
This may be an unpopular opinion, but after reading enough about Tianamen Square Incident, I've come to realise that the movement couldn't have been without foreign influence, that it could have been the west's attempt at doing an "AAP" in China, which went horribly wrong, and after which they learned never to interfere in China's internal affairs ever again. You'll note that the movement happened around the same time as Soviet Union's fall; and so it explains how the west got overconfident about toppling CCP / single-party governance in China.

Compersion

Country flag
The more one learns abt the world, the better one understands home affairs through a global prism.

To say heartlessly: 100+ death at Tian'anmen is very much dwarfed by est. 2,000 death toll in 2002 Gujarat riots. 43 dead in a Chinese high speed railway accident (galloping at 250kmph) seems nothing when we realize low-speed railway kills more in India (<100kmph?) :shocked:

And 300 million living without electricity, plus daily happenings in Manipur, Assam, Kashmir and so on, shall have given Chinese good references in review of the past.

Fortunately old fox Deng was still at the helm though behind the curtain at that time. Of course in reflection it could have been done in a civilized way like with tear gas, water cannon etc.

both india and prc can learn from one another.

but you are very generous with your figures. perhaps it is there not to shock you. also i understand sarcasm is in the trend these day but people of and in India protest for issues that are on the side of good.

the pictures you place what were the issues the people were protesting about have you any clue - was it planned by the government of India - was it a controlled demonstration. also if the India army and we say the Government of India dare ask the military to massacre its own people - the people of India will not respond like people in PRC - and you can bet on that. shoulder to shoulder people will stand up and not enter into a silence. in fact people will do what is right. It seems the people of PRC fear the government and dare not do such things and it has not changed much from the way you represent your "PRC figures". In India for such issues that is a matter of principle and standing up for what is right. In India figures are truth and we deal with the truth even if that means it is uncomfortable and things need to be improved and made better. like i said both india and prc can learn from one another.

also your comment near the end "Fortunately old fox Deng was still at the helm though behind the curtain at that time. Of course in reflection it could have been done in a civilized way like with tear gas, water cannon etc." not often we hear a PRC citizen criticise PRC government ...

Last edited:

Voldemort

Country flag

To say heartlessly: 100 death at Tian'anmen is very much dwarfed by est. 2,000 death toll in 2002 Gujarat riots. 43 dead in a Chinese high speed railway accident (galloping at 250kmph) seems nothing when we realize low-speed railway kills more in India (<100kmph?) :shocked:
Killings of Gujarat was riots, not a crackdown by the state.And there were no tanks. Still, I can say that Modi killed 2000 people and he is a mass murderer. See I just said that about our PM. Can you do that? BTW thousands were killed on that day in China, not hundred. Your own people, infact students were crushed to death. India can still have trains running at 250kmph but you will be gunned down the minute you question your authorities.

nimo_cn

Country flag
Haha. I knew you wouldn't do it or your fate wouldnt be any better than the tank man. So much for freedom of speech.
then tell us about the tank man.

Sent from my HUAWEI T8951 using Tapatalk 2

nimo_cn

Country flag
He's not enjoying his life as much as you are, thats for sure. Well that is, if he was not executed.
For sure? How?

Cai Ling, the female student leader during the movement now is having a sweet life in America.

Chen Guangcheng, the blind activist is now studying in New York university for free.

As I see it, they are having much better life than I am.

Going against CCP is a lucrative business, if you are willing to take a couple of years in CCP's prison, your life could be changed for ever in a good way. All of the high profile dissidents are having wonderful life in the west, many of us are looking forward to joining them.

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag
For sure? How?

Cai Ling, the female student leader during the movement now is having a sweet life in America.

Chen Guangcheng, the blind activist is now studying in New York university for free.

As I see it, they are having much better life than I am.

Going against CCP is a lucrative business, if you are willing to take a couple of years in CCP's prison, your life could be changed for ever in a good way. All of the high profile dissidents are having wonderful life in the west, many of us are looking forward to joining them.

do you have any such plan?

nimo_cn

Country flag
do you have any such plan?
I dont think such a plan is gonna work out for me. America is not a refugee camp, it doesnt take everyone who wishes to go.

There are many who have voiced their grudge against CCP, but only a few were taken as asset by the Americans.

Cai Ling graduated from Peking university, one the most prestigeous colleges in China. I graduated from a second class university of nowhere.

Chen Guangcheng is blind. I wear glasses, but I am not disabled.

You see, I cant compete with them to win American endorsement.

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag
I dont think such a plan is gonna work out for me. America is not a refugee camp, it doesnt take everyone who wishes to go.

There are many who have voiced their grudge against CCP, but only a few were taken as asset by the Americans.

Cai Ling graduated from Peking university, one the most prestigeous colleges in China. I graduated from a second class university of nowhere.

Chen Guangcheng is blind. I wear glasses, but I am not disabled.

You see, I cant compete with them to win American endorsement.

a reference will be much appreciated instead of flat talks

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

There is a difference between Govt killing their civilians using tanks and soldiers and a riot.

These are the riots in China

19 May incident
1989 Ürümqi unrest
2008 Lhasa violence
2008 Longnan riot
2008 Shenzhen anti-police riot
2008 Sichuan riots
2008 Weng'an riot
2010 Suzhou workers riot
2011 Chaozhou riot
2011 Haimen protest
2011 Yunnan protest
2011 Zengcheng riot
2011 Zhongshan riot
2012 China anti-Japanese demonstrations
April 2013 Bachu unrest
Dazhou protests of 2007
July 2009 Ürümqi riots
June 2013 Shanshan riots
Nanjing anti-African protests
Protest and dissent in the People's Republic of China
September 2009 Xinjiang unrest
Shaoguan incident
Shishou incident
April 27 demonstrations
Beijing Students' Autonomous Federation
Tiananmen Square protests of 1989
1987–89 Tibetan unrest
2008 Tibetan unrest
2008 Uyghur unrest
Wukan protests
Yizhou riots
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Riots_and_civil_disorder_in_China

Here is an example (video) of race riots in Xinjiang. It is also a religion driven riot between Muslim Uighurs and godless Han.

[video]http://content.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1908981,00.html[/video]

Now, this is what happened in Tienanmen square

Surely the Han people who were protesting against the Govt were not 'splittists', but genuine Han who cared for their country.

Also here is a report of witnesses
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01zwmrs

Likewise let us not forget the Govt sponsored Cultural Revolution in which some 1.5 million people were killed during the Cultural Revolution, and millions of others suffered imprisonment, seizure of property, torture or general humiliation.

Therefore, I don't think Chinese should hector Indians on riots.

What makes you feel that And 300 million living without electricity?

What is plus daily happenings in Manipur, Assam, Kashmir?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Guo Jian: detained for refusing to abide by mass amnesia of Tiananmen

Art writer Madeleine O'Dea discusses the detention of her friend, Australian-Chinese artist Guo Jian, who had spoken publicly of his memories from the Tianamen Square protests

When the People's Republic of China was founded in 1949 the Communists put a stop to such displays of feudalism, but in recent years the leadership has positioned the party as the inheritor rather than the destroyer of China's traditional past. In 2008, Qing Ming was declared a public holiday.

The government may have pronounced a new respect for the right to remember the dead, but they also demand that each year China's citizens perform a massive act of forgetting.

It is hard for anyone who has not lived in China to appreciate how completely the events of 1989 have been wiped from history. Censors work ceaselessly to scrub internet platforms and even text messages, while this week all foreign students in Beijing were sent on a compulsory country excursion, lest the looming anniversary prompt them to give their Chinese classmates a forbidden history lesson.......

An ex-soldier himself, Guo was fascinated by the Australian War Memorial in Canberra and its celebrated dioramas of World War I battlefields. In 2010, he began work in Beijing on a diorama of his own, a miniature Tiananmen Square which he depicted as a vast demolition site, as if China in its rush to development had forgotten even to protect the heart of the capital. On the surface, the destruction is only mildly shocking in the same cartoonish way that aliens blowing up the White House would be shocking. But to anyone who knows about the real act of destruction that took place in the Square 25 years ago, the work has a darker resonance.

More at

Guo Jian: detained for refusing to abide by mass amnesia of Tiananmen | Art and design | theguardian.com

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles