China begins to import cotton from India, not Pakistan

trackwhack

@trackwhack

The economic model you are talking about was adopted by Nehruvians and it has failed miserably. Secondly, it is bias if you do not want Chinese (or any overseas products because they are manufacturing base) and still talk about open economy. Are you talking about national deficit? Govt is not buying finished textiles from China or is it ? It will be counter-productive if you keep the Indian market closed out of fear of competition. That is what we did in later part of last century and thus suffering its adversaries till now.
@nrj what you say is valid. However if we generalized a bit and swayed out of cotton to overall industry, you cannot compete against a nation that thrives on fraud, government subsidies, raw material hoarding by state companies, etc. You know China plays dirty. There is no reason we have to compete with dirty. Look at the rare earth scenario. We can't play by Chinese rules and hope to win. I am not proposing nehruvian systems but just saying shrewd economics is important. The way to make our industry more competitive is to make theirs less competitive.

Either way, all this aside, even today kohlapuris are proud of calling themselves the Manchester of India. You know the history there. Those mills in Manchester funded the conquest of our country. Once the conquest was complete, the mills moved to Bombay. Because by then we were British slaves and slaves in textile mills don't ask for a pay.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
May be you should give some tips to local textile mills on how they should compete with the Chinese with world class infrastructure, while they face 12 - 16 hours power outages for their own mills.

I'm sure everyone would be very grateful to hear the secret to success.
Perhaps we should start voting to more Free marketist governments who focus on doing Government's ACTUAL job like say- provide power, roads, rails and infrastructure with the tax we pay rather than dole it out as free shit???

ANd You dint really counter my point on how the ban on export of cotton will affect the farmers:rolleyes:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles