China bar on Reuters scribe

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Beijing, Nov. 9: The Chinese government has rejected the visa application of a veteran American journalist who had been waiting eight months to begin a new reporting job in China for Thomson Reuters, the journalist said.

The reporter, Paul Mooney, said the Chinese foreign ministry told Reuters yesterday that it would not grant him a resident journalist visa but declined to provide a reason. Mooney returned to the US last year after the expiration of his previous visa, which was sponsored by The South China Morning Post.

The rejection comes at a time of rising tensions between foreign news organisations and the government, which has been using its economic clout, the issuance of visas and Internet controls to express displeasure with coverage it deems unflattering.

"China has been my career," Mooney, who has spent three decades covering Asia, the last 18 years based in Beijing, said in a phone interview today. "I never thought it was going to end this way. I'm sad and disappointed." The websites for Bloomberg News and The New York Times have been blocked in China for more than a year.

NEW YORK TIMES NEWS SERVICE

We have some of the Chinese posters who whenever one posts anything on atrocities in Tibet or Xinjaing, immediately with great gusto and enthusiasm write copious posts on India and Kashmir and Maoists.

They are so impervious to reality that they do not understand that India is a free country, with a robust domestic media and an unfettered international media presence to report even the most innocuous event happening in India, unlike the dungeon called China.

Many foreign correspondents have been expelled, to include the Al Jazeera, which documented in a video the infamous laogais (prisons that churn out products to bolster China's economy at cut throat rates).

And now, they have expelled so to say the Reuters correspondent, who has had a three decade stint in China, just because he did not write flattering reports on China.

The poor things in the CCP do not understand that the media in the free world does not latter the Govts. Instead, they act as watchdogs that the Govt does things right.

But try telling it to these Double Think folks of China.

They also ban foreign TV channels and black them out.

What a way to go!

Free Karma

Well to be honest, I can understand China's policy to a certain extent. You just need to look at the western media and see the pure filth that they put out on certain countries. I'm willing to guess a huge amount of damage in terms of image has been caused by retarded journalists that dont quite understand the country they are reporting on, or purposely spin sob/horror stories about the country, and the extent some people goto...they deserve no sympathy at all. The worst part of all of this is that some people here actually start to subscribe to the bs that is put out either for their own good or due to naivety and continue to propagate those views, This especially comes to light with news TV channels that seem to love to hate their own country, and frequently go overboard forgetting their responsibilities as journalists, besides I wonder how many people actually watch news channels these days,

This is not to say a complete lockdown on freedom of the press is good, but I can certainly see what causes them to do it, but a complete lockdown causes a host of other issues.

Last edited:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
The reporter, Paul Mooney, said the Chinese foreign ministry told Reuters yesterday that it would not grant him a resident journalist visa but declined to provide a reason.
Here is the reason:

Paul Mooney - Forbes

Chinese cannot deal with the truth.

Another example:
The websites for Bloomberg News and The New York Times have been blocked in China for more than a year.
We have some of the Chinese posters who whenever one posts anything on atrocities in Tibet or Xinjaing, immediately with great gusto and enthusiasm write copious posts on India and Kashmir and Maoists.
BG Ray
Another indicator to me that Chinese DFI posters are here only to do the bidding of CCP. It has become undeniable.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
I have learned more about China from Chinese posters on DFI than I have learned from any other source.

I have learned that whatever issue they most vociferously deny, or whatever subject they completely avoid, the facts against China must be true.

Oh, one other indicator is that when Chinese are losing the debate, t_co will always post one of his "rules" for us about how to debate.:truestory:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Surprising that the usually ready to jump to China's CCP's rescue, our patriotic Chinese posters seem to have flown the coop here!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I have learned more about China from Chinese posters on DFI than I have learned from any other source.

I have learned that whatever issue they most vociferously deny, or whatever subject they completely avoid, the facts against China must be true.

Oh, one other indicator is that when Chinese are losing the debate, t_co will always post one of his "rules" for us about how to debate.:truestory:
Well, can't blame t_co.

His a rule bound, hide bound genius always ready, steady and go to obfuscate, confuse and dictate terms of the debate.

Others are more loyal to Xi, than X himself!

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Surprising that the usually ready to jump to China's CCP's rescue, our patriotic Chinese posters seem to have flown the coop here!
Sir, they are just regrouping :peep:

I am certain they must consult with each other off-DFI.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Sir, they are just regrouping :peep:

I am certain they must consult with each other off-DFI.
No waiting for instructions from the CCP about the new approach.

The CCP is busy with their 'reform' plenary, as we all know.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles