China and India :The Contest of the century

nimo_cn

Country flag
China VS India---Race to the top of the world

It is a a report by BBC.

Although it can be hardly called an insightful report, i hope it can inspire us to deliberate on the future of both China and India.

The situation here is that China and India are not just racing with each other.
Both China and India are racing with the rest of the world.

Good luck to both!

part1

part2

part3

Last edited by a moderator:

Rage

DFI TEAM
This is way too f%ckin old. If I recall correctly, most of that documentary was shot in 2006, after which about half of our best periods of growth have happened.

This, in my opinion, shot in 2008, is a more veritable documentary:

gogbot

A reminder of how far we have come.

20 years ago

and even further back

The beginning

gogbot

Lets see some Documentary's on China.

I don't see much of those

badguy2000

Respected Member
I watched the vido long ago on youtube,after managing to cross the "great firewall" of CCP.

it is easy for me to cross "great firewall " and watch the youtube,but the "great firewall" makes it very difficult for me to leave any comment on youtube.

frankly speaking, if no great fire wall stopped Chinese netiznes leave their comments on youtube, youtube would be flooded and occupies by west-bashing comments left by millions of CHinese netizens. :)

So, the stupid CCP "great firewall" in fact helps west voice much to monopolize youtube and other cyber medias. stupid CCP always likes doing such stupid deeds to skew itself and helping west medias.

BTW, the comments on youtube are very interesting..

nimo_cn

Country flag
BG, I totally agree with you.

I managed to watched these videos after i installed a proxy software which disguises my computer with an American IP address so that i can bypass the firewall and access those banned websites. But the internet speed is very frustrating when visting these websites via proxy.

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
Nice videos. Thx. for sharing.

Shorn of any zingoism, India is about a decade behind China on most economic indicators. Our GDP in 2008 ($1.2 Trillion) is where China was in 2000.

http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds...p#met=ny_gdp_mktp_cd&idim=country:PAK:IND:CHN

We hope we can narrow the difference to just 5 years in the coming years.

But again, I think our competition is not so much with China but with ourselves. Will we be the best we can be?

badguy2000

Respected Member
Nice videos. Thx. for sharing.

Shorn of any zingoism, India is about a decade behind China on most economic indicators. Our GDP in 2008 ($1.2 Trillion) is where China was in 2000.

http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds...p#met=ny_gdp_mktp_cd&idim=country:PAK:IND:CHN

We hope we can narrow the difference to just 5 years in the coming years.

But again, I think our competition is not so much with China but with ourselves. Will we be the best we can be?
GDP can cheat you.

Japan's nominal GDP was only 1 trillion USD in 1980,almost as same as India's Today.

However, if you have a look at Japanese films or TV programms, you can easily find that Japan in 1980 was much advanced ,richer than India and China today.

China's nominal GDP was only 1 trillion USD in 2000,almost as same as India's today.

However, if you have a look at China2000 in films or TV programms, CHina 2000 was also much are advanded and richer than India today..

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
GDP can cheat you.

Japan's nominal GDP was only 1 trillion USD in 1980,almost as same as India's Today.

However, if you have a look at Japanese films or TV programms, you can easily find that Japan in 1980 was much advanced ,richer than India and China today.
Japan had a much larger per capita income! It is incorrect to compare them with Indo/China equation.

Japan was threatening to overtake the USA in the 1980s. They had a higher per capita income and were leading the world in technology.

China's nominal GDP was only 1 trillion USD in 2000,almost as same as India's today.

However, if you have a look at China2000 in films or TV programms, CHina 2000 was also much are advanded and richer than India today..
It cuts both ways. The TV programs and films could be misleading as well. Especially in a controlled society like China where the CCP can manipulate what it wants to project to the outside world.

The fact is that this nouveau riche syndrome has gone to the head of some in China, especially the internet warriors. So such statistics should bring a dose of reality to them. It means that the per capita income of India now would be the same as what you had 8 years back. Same would go for the number of cellular connections etc.

Of course, infrastructure is one area where China has done better. That is because China made an extraordinary investment at an extraordinary speed. This is something that is being corrected in India, at a slower pace.

badguy2000

Respected Member
Japan had a much larger per capita income! It is incorrect to compare them with Indo/China equation.

Japan was threatening to overtake the USA in the 1980s. They had a higher per capita income and were leading the world in technology.

It cuts both ways. The TV programs and films could be misleading as well. Especially in a controlled society like China where the CCP can manipulate what it wants to project to the outside world.

The fact is that this nouveau riche syndrome has gone to the head of some in China, especially the internet warriors. So such statistics should bring a dose of reality to them. It means that the per capita income of India now would be the same as what you had 8 years back. Same would go for the number of cellular connections etc.

Of course, infrastructure is one area where China has done better. That is because China made an extraordinary investment at an extraordinary speed. This is something that is being corrected in India, at a slower pace.
guy, 2000 is not so far away from US.

Most of CHinese,including me, experienced China 2000.

I know what china 2000 was exactly like.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod

What are you blabbering?. IS there any connection to what Vinod wrote and to what you wrote?. Stop your inane posts and write something substantial or refrain from posting but don't post for the sake of posting.

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador

OK. Tell me how you were much richer than India on a per capita basis in 2000 than India last year. The numbers tell a different story.

TV programs (as you claim) can mislead. India being an open society, our faults and problems are out in the open. Our cities don't banish the poor. Slums can't be removed overnight and visible poverty is there to see.

China is not just the few hundred millions in the big cities. The rest of the country has a lot to catch up.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Just a reality check for Chinese who tom tom their economy, infrastructure, gleaming malls, building and roads to no end. The prevalence of slums (28%) in urban China is as prevalent it is in India if not more.

Report from UN
India has lifted 59.7 million people out of slum conditions since 2000. Slum prevalence fell from 41.5 per cent in 1990 to 28.1 per cent in 2010. This is a relative decrease of 32 per cent, the study found, according to the report called State of the World’s Cities 2010/2011.

Proportionally, China's urban population living in slums fell from 37.3 per cent in 2000 to some 28 per cent in 2010, a relative decrease of 25 per cent.

"Despite growing inequality due to the country's rapid economic advance, China has improved living conditions by embracing economic reforms and implementing modernisation policies that have used urbanisation to drive national growth," the report said.

http://www.business-standard.com/india/news/indiachina-lift-millions-outslums-un/88943/on

amoy

The prevalence of slums (28%) in urban China is as prevalent it is in India if not more.
Slums - the word itself is ambiguous in definition.

What do u call 'slum'?

I haven't been in India but travelled to Thailand. Theirs is different from our standard of 'slum'. For example in a 'slum' Chinese household e. appliances like TV/Microwave oven/DVD/heater and ... are just common. Therefore PPP may be a more relevant measurement.

That being said, salute to improvements in eleminating regional/strata disparity

Anshu Attri

Country flag
world sees India as rising global and regional super power

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
Hans Rosling was a young guest student in India when he first realized that Asia had all the capacities to reclaim its place as the world's dominant economic force. At TEDIndia, he graphs global economic growth since 1858 and predicts the exact date that India and China will outstrip the US.

Hans Rosling: Asia's rise -- how and when

[video]http://www.ted.com/talks/hans_rosling_asia_s_rise_how_and_when.html[/video]

Iamanidiot

If you are a cynic about yourself you will be able to improve yoursef.So is the case with india

badguy2000

Respected Member
Just a reality check for Chinese who tom tom their economy, infrastructure, gleaming malls, building and roads to no end. The prevalence of slums (28%) in urban China is as prevalent it is in India if not more.

Report from UN

guy,maybe the "slums in CHina' you refered to here should be the " Shanty town " or "urban village" in CHina.

In china, those "shanty town" or "urban village" mostely are rented for low-income Chinese such as peasants workers and univeristy graduates.

Frankly speaking, those "shanty town" or "urban village" are crappy,but they are still not worse than the houses where most India "mid class" live in,if most india mid-class live in the houses like the following picture showed by one indian netizen.

The 'average' Indian middle class lives in buildings like these

And the 'lower middle class' lives in buildings (chawls) like these:

http://www.defenceforum.in/forum/showthread.php?8663-What-is-Mid-Class-in-your-country-!/page2

Last edited:

badguy2000

Respected Member
guy, if you are really interested in CHinese "shanty town" or "urban village", I can explain them fully to you.

Most "shanty towns" in CHina were those old-style small apartments built in Mao era(1950-1976) for Urban Chinese workers.
most of "Shanty town"s in CHina have be domolished already now.

One India netizens posted a pictures of "the 'lower middle class' lives in buildings (chawls) " in India.

I find that it is quite like "shanty towns" in CHina

"the 'lower middle class' lives in buildings (chawls) "

Chinese "shanty town"( it seems to being demolished)

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles