Chennai Monorail work to begin in 6 months

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/chennai/Monorail-work-to-begin-in-6-months/articleshow/12349012.cms

CHENNAI: Work on the proposed monorail project is expected start in six months time. The tenders for the project were opened on Monday. Eight companies have participated in the bidding process.

Malaysian firm Scomi, Spain's Kafe India, Japan's Hitachi and some China companies have sent in their bids. These companies will be shortlisted by a Hyderabad-based consultant, Capital Fortunes Private Limited in two weeks.

"After this, a committee chaired by the transport minister will choose the contractor," said source from the Metropolitan Transport Corporation, the nodal agency for the project.

Four corridors were identified for the first phase of the project. The corridors are Vandalur-Puzhal via Avadi (54km), Vandalur-Velachery via Tambaram East (23km), Poonamallee-Vadapalani via Valasarawakkam (16km), and Poonamallee-Kathipara via Porur (18km).
I still dont understand how Monorail can be superior to Metro except perhaps the lower cost:sad:

This is one issue i dont agree with JJ:sad:

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
It isn't. Jayalalitha is playing politics. DMK went for the Metro Rail, and ADMK wants to be different. Same case with that library, and the new secretariat as well.
Library and secratariat are differant case. The new secratariat itself was a hog wash. Despite having spent about twice the allocated money(not to mention that the contract was given to the DMK benami company) only 8 out of the 34 departments functioned from the new" Secretariat" . The fact is that both the Old and the New one were functioning when she moved back the Secretariat back to original place. It was DMK which was playing politics.

Library is being turned into a hospital a move which no one can refute as bad, considering the health needs of the City . Also the library will the closer to the Connemara library and National book libraries , it is only wise to have this near them. So i dint have any problem with either of these. Only problem i have is the Monorail.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
I still dont understand how Monorail can be superior to Metro except perhaps the lower cost:sad:

This is one issue i dont agree with JJ:sad:
Monorail is inferior to Metro, the only purpose it can serve is as feeder routes for Metro, good for low density areas, as it is cheaper to operate, but this can be done by buses too, use the existing road infrastructure/ better them, will take less investments as compared to creating separate infrastructure of mono rails

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles