Cheap Drones Made in China Could Arm US Foes

mikhail

Country flag
Cheap drones made in China could end up arming potential U.S. foes such as North Korea, Iran and terrorist organizations.

China already makes drones that don't quite match up to U.S. military drones, but for a fraction of the cost. The Chinese military envisions such unmanned autonomous vehicles (UAVs) scouting out battlefield targets, guiding missile and artillery strikes, and swarming potential adversaries, such as U.S. carrier battle groups.

"In whatever future conflict scenario we're in five or 10 years from now, the proliferation of UAVs is going to complicate things for the U.S. military," said Ian Easton, a research fellow at the Project 2049 Institute.

China has built a huge military-industrial complex to support its growing drone fleet, which consisted of about 280 military drones as of mid-2011, according to a report released by the Project 2049 Institute on March 11. Chinese manufacturers supplying the military and state agencies also have begun seeking foreign buyers in a global drone market that aerospace and defense market research firm Teal Group estimates to be worth $89 billion over the next 10 years.

Retired Chinese generals have stated on Chinese state television station CCTV that Chinese drone technology lags American technology by about five years, Easton said. However, Chinese manufacturers are touting their plans to build drones five or even 10 times cheaper than comparable U.S. drones, whose hardware alone costs $5 million to $10 million. [Video: RoboBees: Design Poses Intriguing Engineering Challenges]

The idea of cheap, China-made drones may not tempt countries such as Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Australia or NATO allies that want to buy the best U.S. or Israeli drone hardware. Instead, China is seeking buyers in the Middle East and Africa at glitzy expositions such as China's biennial Zhuhai Air Show.

"In the area of the Middle East, there could be direct competition, and the Chinese would have an advantage because they can apparently make UAVs cheaper," Easton told TechNewsDaily. "For countries that don't demand the best technology, good enough would be good enough."

That means countries such as Syria might obtain Chinese drones for the surveillance or oppression of their own citizens, Easton said. He added that Chinese drones also could end up in the hands of North Korea or Iran — regional hotspots where the U.S. military may potentially find itself embroiled in future conflicts.

Iran has already sold its own crude drones to countries such as Syria and organizations such as Hezbollah, a militant group based in Lebanon and backed by Iran. In addition, China-made drones would allow countries like Iran and North Korea to obtain technology which Western countries refuse to sell.

"It's bad enough that China has that kind of capability, but the same capability could end up in the hands of the Iranians or North Koreans or a terrorist group like Hezbollah that Iran is cooperating with," Easton said.

The U.S. has already shown the world how battlefield drone surveillance and drone strikes can prove both effective and controversial. Still, the U.S. military faces a new challenge in detecting swarms of China-made drones during future conflicts, Easton said. Some drones may go undetected by radar because they can fly extremely low and may come in small sizes.
china is potential threat to the civilized world as of today.they will always take side of the genocidal countries and terrorist organizations to fulfill their ambition of world domination.its only a matter of time before pakistan can lay its arm to the chini attack drones which will be a serious concern for the Indian security establishment:rolleyes:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
[C]hina is potential threat to the civilized world as of today.they will always take side of the genocidal countries and terrorist organizations to fulfill their ambition of world domination.its only a matter of time before pakistan can lay its arm to the chini attack drones which will be a serious concern for the Indian security establishment
I would expect payback for the US drone attacks in places like Pakistan, Somalia and Yemen as soon as the opposing threats get the technology. Putting a small missile through the window of the Oval Office at the White House would not be impossible at all.

That China is working on the technology and wants to sell it is to be expected.

The US should, and probably is, developing counter-measures.It can't expect to be immune to its own technology.

drkrn

once an old man told me cheap can never be the best.so no worries for America:thumb:

badguy2000

Respected Member
I would expect payback for the US drone attacks in places like Pakistan, Somalia and Yemen as soon as the opposing threats get the technology. Putting a small missile through the window of the Oval Office at the White House would not be impossible at all.

That China is working on the technology and wants to sell it is to be expected.

The US should, and probably is, developing counter-measures.It can't expect to be immune to its own technology.
of course US "should"

but the case has nothing to do with "should" ,but has something to do with "could"....

can US develope countermesures ,while USA borrows trillions US debt from CHina??

nimo_cn

Country flag
china is potential threat to the civilized world as of today.they will always take side of the genocidal countries and terrorist organizations to fulfill their ambition of world domination.its only a matter of time before pakistan can lay its arm to the chini attack drones which will be a serious concern for the Indian security establishment:rolleyes:
buddy, India is not "the civilized world".

Sent from my HUAWEI T8951 using Tapatalk 2

amoy

of course US "should"

but the case has nothing to do with "should" ,but has something to do with "could"....

can US develope countermesures ,while USA borrows trillions US debt from CHina??
I find the last sentence amusing.

Sent from my 5910 using Tapatalk 2

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
We are not too worried about it. Chinese drones do not have near the performance features of Western drones. When it comes to combat they would be of minimal use and easy targets.

badguy2000

Respected Member
We are not too worried about it. Chinese drones do not have near the performance features of Western drones. When it comes to combat they would be of minimal use and easy targets.
I find that you mentality is quite like CHinese's before 1840

huaxia rox

1 who is the real enemy of the us? what i can see are these: iran, north korea, islam. how ever besides iran and nk there is no any solution in UNSC or sactions to ban weapon selling to others. and prc is doing what other countries like russia is doing.

2 its not like the us has got some amercian commonwealth stuff. if its british commonwealth and if there is a foe like Argentina (be it civilized or not) then every commonwealth nation has problem with the nation. thats ok because its a gang and the head of the gang commands. but there is no gang for the us to command. does any agreement of NATO say the us is the head? no then why the foe of the us has to be others? if many countries feel threatened then some solustion by UN will impose sactions. then where is the saction and against whom? excluding nk and iran both of which have already had their UAV fleets.

3 being cheap should be unavoidable at leat at this point of time. what ever can be made in the us has to be more expensive than when the same thing is made in prc. even a pair of chopsticks.

mikhail

Country flag
buddy, India is not "the civilized world".

ohh so if India isn't part of the "Civilized world" pray tell me the names of the countries which should be catagorised as a part of the "Civilized world"!:lol:

nimo_cn

Country flag
ohh so if India isn't part of the "Civilized world" pray tell me the names of the countries which should be catagorised as a part of the "Civilized world"!:lol:
i never said that India isn't part of the civilized world, i just disagree with the idea that India is the civilized world.

be free to feel threatened by China, but India being threatened by China doesnt mean the civilized world being threatened.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
of course US "should"

Completely off topic and irrelevant, but you still get your 50 cents of course.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
The 50 Cent Army is out in force again, I see.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
don't get what u mean. keep your 50cents. I've reported your offensive troll.
Report away! Badguy2000 started the trolling here and he has been banned before, if I am not mistaken.:rolleyes:

When I first came to DFI I didn't believe in the "50 Cent Army" concept, but I soon learned.

CCTV

I don't see anyone ready to burn Versailles. We still have your Winter Palace trinkets.
Yes, Prussian did not burn Versailles , since they will celebrate their great victory in it.
The Prussian king, was crowned emperor of Germany in the Hall of Mirrors at Versailles.

PS. "We"? Indian or French?
I heard some Indian members said you are an Indian( but as a minority).

well you ain't lucky.because people like armand sir are in minority.
most of the people in india knows china's capability in modern warfare and that's why you hear about minimum possible deterrence in indian news everyday.
you know we like to prepare ourselves for the future.:namaste:

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles