Chances of India, China war 'very, very little', says NSA Shivshankar

Mariner HK

Tihar Jail
Banned
SOURCE : PTI

The chances of India and China going to a war are "very very little" as 8,000 years of statecraft is good enough to take care of that problem, National Security Advisor (NSA) Shivshankar Menon said here today.

"I think very very very little. I assume 8,000 years of statecraft is good enough to take care of that problem," he said while replying to a question at a security conference organised by the ASPEN Institute here.

Menon was asked what are the chances of India and China going to war in another 30 years.

Referring to the recently-started maritime security dialogue between India and China, Menon said this indicates the growing understanding between them.

Asked whether India is alarmed by Chinese naval power, Menon said: "Let me tell you, we started a maritime security dialogue with China last year. I think that is the answer."

The NSA also said all the nations in Western Pacific have an interest in keeping the sea lanes open and accessible to trade.

"From Suez to Western Pacific, China, India and Japan, we all have an interest in contributing and making sure that the sea lanes remain open," he said.

Addressing the gathering on the issue of growing concerns over security, he said all the nations are faced with the challenge of growing security expectations but declining ability to meet them.

"We are in the age of heightened expectations"¦ Previous generation took the security for granted. Today, we even expect government to fix weather"¦ You have rising expectations and much broader definition of security (but) the ability of traditional provider of security i.e. state, to meet this is declining," he said.

Menon underlined that even climate change is now considered as an important aspect of international peace and security.

"A few years ago, a resolution was introduced (in the UN) saying that climate change is the threat to international peace and security. It is and it will change our security calculus. But whether the Security Council could do anything about it, I have my doubts," he said.

He advocated new partnerships between nations and governments to address the rising concerns of security.

"I think the only way of answering this and ensuring this is finding new partnerships between countries, between governments and businesses and civil societies, otherwise there is no way we are going to be able to meet these challenges," Menon said.

He exhorted emerging economies to take lead in the process.

"To my mind the emerging economies need to take the lead in this because they are potentially the most affected by a resource constraint," he said.

arya

Country flag
Re: Chances of India, China war 'very, very little', says NSA Shivshan

so do you think he should say in public yes we are going in war ..

Guys nsa is not the proper person , chief of force know the real probem.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag

Oh yah...

Now a days everything is security...

Fulfilling DREDO interests is also security.... keep eating millions in the name of security..

Of Course, foreign policy mendarins are old hogs to be kept and maintained..

What I mean is that there are many stake holders to alley fears of the people of the country... except the police who people think are security hezard..

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag

This is old news.

Blackwater

true:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

JBH22

In a situation where the economy is going to "crap" and where the finance minister is cutting down defence budget is it possible for the NSA to say otherwise?
Threat perception is that China can strike because it is developing its infrastructure in border areas while India is sleeping to add insult to injury we are nowhere in building credible conventional deterrence capabilities.

Why do we have diplomats in NSA council unlike other countries like USA or Russia they have military or intelligence people, in our case we have wussies.

Last edited:

Mariner HK

Tihar Jail
Banned

we wr lots more powerfull some 8 years back....I guess...

Sam2012

Tihar Jail
Banned

SOURCE : PTI

The chances of India and China going to a war are "very very little" as 8,000 years of statecraft is good enough to take care of that problem, National Security Advisor (NSA) Shivshankar Menon said here today.

"I think very very very little. I assume 8,000 years of statecraft is good enough to take care of that problem," he said while replying to a question at a security conference organised by the ASPEN Institute here.

Menon was asked what are the chances of India and China going to war in another 30 years.

Referring to the recently-started maritime security dialogue between India and China, Menon said this indicates the growing understanding between them.

Asked whether India is alarmed by Chinese naval power, Menon said: "Let me tell you, we started a maritime security dialogue with China last year. I think that is the answer."

The NSA also said all the nations in Western Pacific have an interest in keeping the sea lanes open and accessible to trade.

"From Suez to Western Pacific, China, India and Japan, we all have an interest in contributing and making sure that the sea lanes remain open," he said.

Addressing the gathering on the issue of growing concerns over security, he said all the nations are faced with the challenge of growing security expectations but declining ability to meet them.

"We are in the age of heightened expectations"¦ Previous generation took the security for granted. Today, we even expect government to fix weather"¦ You have rising expectations and much broader definition of security (but) the ability of traditional provider of security i.e. state, to meet this is declining," he said.

Menon underlined that even climate change is now considered as an important aspect of international peace and security.

"A few years ago, a resolution was introduced (in the UN) saying that climate change is the threat to international peace and security. It is and it will change our security calculus. But whether the Security Council could do anything about it, I have my doubts," he said.

He advocated new partnerships between nations and governments to address the rising concerns of security.

"I think the only way of answering this and ensuring this is finding new partnerships between countries, between governments and businesses and civil societies, otherwise there is no way we are going to be able to meet these challenges," Menon said.

He exhorted emerging economies to take lead in the process.

"To my mind the emerging economies need to take the lead in this because they are potentially the most affected by a resource constraint," he said.
I remember Krishna Menon making a fool out of Indian Army in 1962 war , now there is another insane Menon

Sir what if some one like GENERAL KRISHNASWAMY SUNDARJI becomes general & face chinese enchroachment with guts not in front of mike like guys Operation Falcon at Sumdorong Chu in 1986 were sundarji refused to Rajiv gandhi to stand down ,then China will react then there will be a WAR & this time it won't be confined only to ground force Airforce will also be in a face off

So pls stop this nonsence again India chini Bhai Bhai:mad: , we are better remain rivals than friends:thumb:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Mr Menon, the 8000 years of history didn't stop the 62 war.

Mariner HK

Tihar Jail
Banned

imageshack.us/photo/my-images/713/shutthe----upchinaidf.jpg

some one upload it... I dont now how to :D

amoy

so do you think he should say in public yes we are going in war ..

Guys nsa is not the proper person , chief of force know the real probem.
but many posters seem to have taken what NSA said at face value?! only jingoism would hv pleased them!

Sent from my 5910 using Tapatalk 2

Sam2012

Tihar Jail
Banned

but many posters seem to have taken what NSA said at face value?! only jingoism would hv pleased them!

Sent from my 5910 using Tapatalk 2
He is hideing the truth just a political stunt as per Congress backing punch line Hindi Chini Bhai Bhai truth we never were or are or will be brothers, In the forum itself we spit out the venom against each other imagine the stakes at military level

their will be War for sure , but u will say it as jingoism or China will win hands down which i respect:hail:

We don't bank on speech given by politicians, NSA, bureaucrats . Its the armed force which decides when to go at War & when not to :thumb:

s002wjh

Country flag

china has alot more other problems then deal with india/china border dispute. top of list, japan,taiwan,SCS,Nkorea,US pivot to Asia, internally it has issue with corruption, economy, middle class etc. a war with india is at the bottom of their priority.

Novice

Oh I so remember Krishna Menon. Now we know where we are headed.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

if war happen he is going to take first bullet in his chest.

tramp

Don't go by these statements. They are for international consumption. Some guys will still blast him if he says there could be a war soon. 2013 is not 1962 when India shed its innocence. (V.K. Krishna Menon was not as bad as you guys make him out to be for what happened in 1962. All were complicit, including Indian Army and we were an infant nation.) We know how the Italian Mariners drama played out. India can indeed flex its diplomatic muscle if it wants.
Now, China has too much to worry right now on its Korea border.
Let us savour peace as it lasts.

dhananjay1

With NSA like this who needs enemies.

SamwiseTheBrave

wonder what the NSA will say on this topic now ! would be good if in some interview he is quoted on the speech and then asked to comment on the incursion incident

sorcerer

Country flag

wonder what the NSA will say on this topic now ! would be good if in some interview he is quoted on the speech and then asked to comment on the incursion incident
Yes,Bringing Army to gain diplomatic leverage is not a good idea.(Just like PRC did) Someones gonna get trigger happy and things will go south ,faster than Kim on West

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

NSA almost looked so so stupid, with his statement, it is we who have avoided war or it was war for sure.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles