'Carpet bombing' of Pakistan must stop

Country flag
'Carpet bombing' of Pakistan must stop: Bilawal - Hindustan Times

Arguing strongly against what he called the "carpet bombing" of Pakistan, PPP chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari has said US drone attacks were turning out to be counter-productive due to the civilian toll they take. The leader-in-waiting of Pakistan's ruling party called for an end to the

US drone attacks, which he said were a violation of his country's sovereignty and international law.
"The continuous carpet bombing of Pakistan by drones is not only counterproductive on the war on terror, it's also an egregious violation of our sovereignty and must end," Bilawal Bhutto told the MSNBC news in an interview.

"It's a violation of the US War Powers Act as well as international law. America was supposed to be that city on a hill, setting an example to the world. I do hope it returns to that status soon," said the son of Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari, and slain former prime minister, Benazir Bhutto.

Bilawal refuted the American argument that drone attacks were an important tool in the war against terrorism.

"No, I actually completely disagree. The drone attacks have not caught any big boys. They've been counterproductive with the amount of civilian casualties that they've had," he argued.

"You can ask your own (US) military, they admit, barring Osama bin Laden, Pakistan, when provided actionable intelligence, has caught, captured or killed more al Qaeda operatives than any other nation on earth," he told the MSNBC.

Bilawal said both Pakistan and the United States, were working to resolve their differences.

"And I'm hopeful that they will resolve their differences because we have a common goal and we can only achieve it together," he said.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Carpet bombing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Carpet bombing is a large aerial bombing done in a progressive manner to inflict damage in every part of a selected area of land.[1][2][3] The phrase evokes the image of explosions completely covering an area, in the same way that a carpet covers a floor. Carpet bombing is usually achieved by dropping many unguided bombs. In contrast to precision bombing, it is not aimed at a small target,[3] such as a bunker, an airfield, or a military unit. One of its uses is the aerial bombing of cities.[1]
Zardari makes himself ridiculous. By definition, drones have no such capability.

pmaitra

Carpet bombing?

More like floor-mat bombing if you ask me.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
If drone attacks are to be stopped then why do Pakistanis give locations ? and why do the cheer the dead Talibunnies like Mehsud, and Ilyas Kashmiri ? hypocrites.

Drones aren't going to stop. Farhat Taj has done some amazing work on educating the world about drones, the locals call them Angels of Allah iirc.

Pakistani establishment+media had raised this drone issue to whip public into an anti-American frenzy to suit their short term goals, unfortunately they can't now go back to how things were.

As Najam Sethi pointed out during Musharraf's rule drone attacks were far more greater in number of strikes and casualities, nobody said a peep.

Oracle

Carpet bombing? I actually wish it occurs all over Pakistan. Trust a snake, never trust Pakis.

Reactions: mki

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
If the Drones are 'carpet bombing', then the Pakistanis have no idea as to what it means!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
If the US carpet bombs Pakistan, then the world will have to push the remains under the carpet! :rofl:

sob

Mod
Country flag
Introspection has always been a weak point for our western neighbour. Instead of maning out, Bilawal should try to analyse why dosen't his country not act against the terrorists and why have they outsourced this activity to the Americans. Once he get's this answer, I trust he would not like to run for the post of President of Pakistan in the future.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
They need to start carpet bombing them first. o_o

Blackwater

'Carpet bombing' of Pakistan must stop: Bilawal - Hindustan Times

Arguing strongly against what he called the "carpet bombing" of Pakistan, PPP chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari has said US drone attacks were turning out to be counter-productive due to the civilian toll they take. The leader-in-waiting of Pakistan's ruling party called for an end to the

US drone attacks, which he said were a violation of his country's sovereignty and international law.
"The continuous carpet bombing of Pakistan by drones is not only counterproductive on the war on terror, it's also an egregious violation of our sovereignty and must end," Bilawal Bhutto told the MSNBC news in an interview.

"It's a violation of the US War Powers Act as well as international law. America was supposed to be that city on a hill, setting an example to the world. I do hope it returns to that status soon," said the son of Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari, and slain former prime minister, Benazir Bhutto.

Bilawal refuted the American argument that drone attacks were an important tool in the war against terrorism.

"No, I actually completely disagree. The drone attacks have not caught any big boys. They've been counterproductive with the amount of civilian casualties that they've had," he argued.

"You can ask your own (US) military, they admit, barring Osama bin Laden, Pakistan, when provided actionable intelligence, has caught, captured or killed more al Qaeda operatives than any other nation on earth," he told the MSNBC.

Bilawal said both Pakistan and the United States, were working to resolve their differences.

"And I'm hopeful that they will resolve their differences because we have a common goal and we can only achieve it together," he said.

indirectly he is asking for more $$$$$$$$

on lighter note, tile or marble bombing are more in demand than carpet bombing

lcatejas

I Don't know why US is wasting so much $$ on bombing ... finish in 1 shot and bomb pak...:target:

ejazr

Ambassador
Drones aren't going to stop. Farhat Taj has done some amazing work on educating the world about drones, the locals call them Angels of Allah iirc.
Just a clarification, the locals call them Ababeel - special birds mentioned in the Quran which were sent by Allah to destroy an army from Yemen to destroy the Kabah. The birds would strike down just the soldiers and their animals with stone-like pellets without any damage to anybdy else. Atleast that is what the story goes more or less.

The locals in KP are sick and tired of this propaganda about how the Talibans represent Pashtoons and why the drones are the worst thing to happen to them. Ignoring the fact that the REAL carpet bombing was done by the PAF were they used F-15 jets to pulverise dwellings in FATA. Zaid Hamid came to Peshawar university for a speech and got booed of stage before he could finish.

The anti-drone rhetoric is more to rally the urban Pakistanis and media onto a anti-US platform. Nothing else. Bilawal doesn't know anything, he is just trying to create his own political space by latching on to Imran Khan's line.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
If all in Pakistan got rational, then there would be none of this problem.

They are too ingrained in feeling that the attacks are basically a War against Islam!

They are so beleaguered and kept on the hop that they cannot believe that it is otherwise.

This is more so since Pakistani education is steeped in religion and very intolerant of non Islamic people and ideas!

The urban education is based on religion and the rural is based on madrassa mayhem!

Last edited:

drkrn

i always have a doubt..

do strike a terrorist hiding somewhere in pak they definitely need ground intelligence.

if they are serious why cant pakistan come that way????

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles