Cannot afford to match India militarily: Pak Defence Minister

lambu

Pakistan cannot afford to match the induction of modern weaponry by India, which possibly has a greater capacity to sustain a war, Pakistani Defence Minister Chaudhry Ahmad Mukhtar has said.

"If we only try to match them (India) militarily and buy the sort of armament which they have, we will probably not be able to afford it," Mr. Mukhtar said.

Explaining his contention, he noted that India's economy is "six to seven times bigger than" Pakistan's and its trade volumes were "five to six times greater."

"The capacity of India and Pakistan to fight was for 20 to 22 days. Now India has inducted a lot of armaments, may be they can last for 45 days, we will not be able to do so," Mr. Mukhtar said in an interview to BBC Urdu.

He was responding to a question on whether the projection of India as Pakistan's greatest enemy was the root of the country's problems.

Mr. Mukhtar noted that the two countries were taking steps to improve relations in the aftermath of the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks.

"Slowly the process of meetings has started. People are going across the border. Nobody had ever thought they could walk suitcase in hand to Amritsar via Wagah but that is the reality now and it is happening," he said.

This was happening, he said, "in spite of the fact that wars were fought, there were problems on the border and the Mumbai incident".

Asked why an incident like the Mumbai attacks occurred whenever relations improved between the two countries, Mr. Mukhtar said: "It is very unfortunate that such incidents happen and they should not happen. But there are players who are behind these incidents."

He did not give details about such elements but said some of them had been arrested and put on trial.

Matters would improve when "we decide that religion and politics should not be mixed together", he said. "Let them go side by side. There should be no restrictions on religion which is between me and my God."

Earlier this year, India and Pakistan revived their dialogue process, which was suspended for over two years in the wake of the Mumbai attacks which were carried out by Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba.

The Hindu : News / International : Cannot afford to match India militarily: Pak Defence Minister

sky

I thought the indian economy was bigger then 6-7 times that of pakistan?

sukhish

India's economy is almost 10 times that of he pakistani economy and I think it will grow even bigger

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Pakistan GDP 2010 (nominal) = $174.8 billion
Indian GDP 2010 (nominal) = $1.53 trillion

India's economy is about nine times the size of Pakistan.

Country flag
Pakistanis never had more than a 2 week fuel supply for their war machine now it maybe even less.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
He didn't complete the sentence i think. "We can't match India militarily, so we will keep sending terrorists".

Indian economy is going to be 1.65 trillion as per the forecast. A good 10 times more than pak. Not 6-7 times.

All these talks amount to a big ZERO as those people are the proverbial dogs tail.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
This is bad news for India. It means that Pakistan is not hinging its strategic policy towards India on conventional military. Pakistan most certainly by this statement is implying that it will utilize unconventional methods to deal with India... another Mumbai style attack may not be far fetched, especially so now that the US is drawing down on Afghanistan.

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
I read some real mad chatter on PDF about this comment. The crazy there started frothing in the mouth trying to justify what this meant. They were name calling and cursing this minister, other politicians, Indians, America, Europe - the whole shebang! It's as if someone and poked them with a really hot needle right in the A$$!!

:D

StealthSniper

The best thing for India is to forget Pakistan, because their is nothing beneficial that will come out of Pakistan and India should continue to work with other successful countries so we can one day be THAT country that other economies want to emulate.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
When a pakistani says like this, it clearly means that they will use nuclear blackmail and continue using terrorism as state policy. Clearly shows they have not come up with terms reality. Good for us, we know what we need to handle.

prahladh

Respected Member
you guys are reading too much into this. he says "we(pure landers) suck big time."
nothing new. If they had even an iota of edge over us why would they think of 1000 cuts.
They would have ran over us by now.

Illusive

Country flag
When a pakistani says like this, it clearly means that they will use nuclear blackmail and continue using terrorism as state policy. Clearly shows they have not come up with terms reality. Good for us, we know what we need to handle.
Exactly, but i think its more towards nuclear blackmail, since we can't sustain a long war,so its imp to have an aggressive nuke policy against India.

@prahladh
if pak didn't had any strong allies, we would have ran them over by now.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles