Canadian Sikh groups plan protests at Narendra Modi events

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
Canada could prove the most challenging foreign visit yet for Prime Minister Narendra Modi, as Sikh activist groups plan protests at the public events he is likely to attend.

For maximum visibility, they will focus on his community reception and visit to the Kanishka Memorial in Toronto, or visits to a gurdwara and temple in Vancouver. This has also resulted in possibly the tightest security for a foreign dignitary since Toronto hosted the G-20 summit in 2010.

The choice of the two Vancouver venues by the schedulers is indicative of a flagging in the strength of pro-Khalistan elements there. Modi is to visit the Ross Street gurdwara run by Khalsa Diwan Society in the British Columbian seaport city on Thursday.

He will also go to Laxminarayan Mandir in the suburb of Surrey for a joint event of the Hindu Sikh Forum of Canada and Vedic Hindu Cultural Society (VHCS). The two stops are being seen as a major outreach to Canada's Sikh community. The gurdwara is the oldest in Canada, while the temple is in an area with one of the highest Sikh populations in the country.

Given the call for multiple protests, elaborate security measures – some of which are unusual for Canada – will be in place at the public events. VHCS general secretary Mahesh Gupta said: "The government has placed restrictions. All those coming will be scanned, like when you're boarding an aircraft. We're sending them information about all those attending. For two to three kilometres, the area will be sealed off."

Perimeter security is expected to be deployed at other venues. Royal Canadian Mounted Police have done multiple reconnaissance of the Ross Street gurdwara and conducted background checks on all those registered to attend the community reception at Ricoh Coliseum in Toronto.

However, Sikh groups have announced protests in both Vancouver and Toronto when Modi visits the Kanishka Memorial, and outside the downtown arena for the community reception. Former British Columbia premier Ujjal Dosanjh, only Indo-Canadian to have held such a position in Canada, said: "Khalistan is never going to die in North America. It's not a problem for India, but a problem for Canada. It's more of a nuisance, an unnecessary distraction. But it's waning and the groups want to keep it alive (through such protests)."

As sympathy and support for the movement ebbs in Canada, Sikh groups are raising other issues during this high-profile visit. Sikhs for Justice has filed a complaint against Modi with Canadian attorney general Peter McKay "requesting criminal proceedings" for "offences of torture and genocide under Canadian law". It refers to the 2002 Gujarat riots.

Canadian Sikh groups plan protests at Narendra Modi events

Sylex21

They protested republic day when I was in Canada and like 10 people showed up. Expecting this to be a low turn out event. A few old die hards care, but the new generation of Sikhs probably doesn't remember or care about things like the Khalistan terrorist movement or Operation Blue Star. Best to wrap layers of security around them and not give them any press or media coverage.

Blackwater

visiting kanishka memorial is big mistake by modi

he should aviod that.

300 died VS 1 million live sikhs in canada

choice is urs mr modi

Simple_Guy

Some of the Kanishka terror bombing victims were Sikhs; around 35 passengers were Sikhs from Greater Montreal.

Bizzare logic by these Canadian emptylanders!

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
A sizeable segment of Canadian Sikh population is made up of these radical elements. I don't know what makes them this way but I do know that they are utter morons.

Blackwater

What does one have to do with the other?

Are you implying that the 1 million Sikhs in Canada were responsible for Kanishka and killing >300 passengers on board?
No , I did not mean that . I said 1 million Sikhs are more imp than 300 died in kanishika crash so modi should avoid going to kanishika memorial

mayfair

No , I did not mean that . I said 1 million Sikhs are more imp than 300 died in kanishika crash so modi should avoid going to kanishika memorial
But why going to the Kanishka memorial will "hurt" or "offend" or "negate the importance" of 1 million Sikhs in Canada? I am genuinely curious to know your views on this.

warriorextreme

Country flag
Do you mean 1 Million Sikhs in Canada do not have any sympathy for the 300 that died in that incident or Do you mean that 1 Million Sikhs believe that 300 deserved to die?

Blackwater

Do you mean 1 Million Sikhs in Canada do not have any sympathy for the 300 that died in that incident or Do you mean that 1 Million Sikhs believe that 300 deserved to die?
i only fear by visiting kanishka memorial modi can ignite dead khalistan movement. my perception

Blackwater

But why going to the Kanishka memorial will "hurt" or "offend" or "negate the importance" of 1 million Sikhs in Canada? I am genuinely curious to know your views on this.
kanishka was done by babar khalasa in direct revenge of bluestar. by visiting kanishka memorial and criticizing babar khalasa will ignite scares of blue-star. my perception

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
i only fear by visiting kanishka memorial modi can ignite dead khalistan movement. my perception
Where? In India? Doubt it.

In Canada? Whatever suits them. Doesn't mater to us Indians. Anyway, if this event helps the closet-radicals come out, good for everyone. This time around, I don't think the canadian authorities will be lax.

kanishka was done by babar khalasa in direct revenge of bluestar. by visiting kanishka memorial and criticizing babar khalasa will ignite scares of blue-star. my perception

So? The people died in Kanishka were INDIANS. If some group of pussies have sympathy for people who bombed a aeroplane and killed 300 hundred innocent people, well let them have it and show it in public too. Let Canadians know who are those. In my perception, it is a great move.

Last edited:

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
Modi should go to Kanishka memorial to pay homage to the victims of a terrorist act....let babbar Khalksa sulk!!

If calling spade a spade revives dead khalistani movement, then let it happen now when we have a strong GOI. Better wipe it out now than later!

Blackwater

Where? In India? Doubt it.

In Canada? Whatever suits them. Doesn't mater to us Indians. Anyway, if this event helps the closet-radicals come out, good for everyone. This time around, I don't think the canadian authorities will be lax.

So? The people died in Kanishka were INDIANS. If some group of pussies have sympathy for people who bombed a aeroplane and killed 300 hundred innocent people, well let them have it and show it in public too. Let Canadians know who are those. In my perception, it is a great move.

more than 20,000 innocent sikhs were killed in 1984 riots.several hundred woman raped were they not innocents, were they not indians ????????????????????:mad::mad::mad:

Blackwater

Modi should go to Kanishka memorial to pay homage to the victims of a terrorist act....let babbar Khalksa sulk!!

If calling spade a spade revives dead khalistani movement, then let it happen now when we have a strong GOI. Better wipe it out now than later!
was not the 1984 riots not terrorist act ????

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
more than 20,000 innocent sikhs were killed in 1984 riots.several hundred woman raped were they not innocents, were they not indians ????????????????????:mad::mad::mad:
And, you see how many Indians endorsing that act like those Khalistanis doing in Canada? Please do write in BOLD and BIG letters when you answer that.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
was not the 1984 riots not terrorist act ????
No, 1984 was a genocide - which is much worse.

As we outrage about 1984 genocide, we should also outrage about Kanishka bombing etc. Visiting Kanishka memorial does not mean one supports the 1984 genocide.

Mod Note: Please dont make it personal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blackwater

No, 1984 was a genocide - which is much worse.

As we outrage about 1984 genocide, we should also outrage about Kanishka bombing etc. Visiting Kanishka memorial does not mean one supports the 1984 genocide, only a crackhead (like Babbar Khalsa chutiy@s) would say that.
Ian not babar Khalsa supporter neither am I supporter of khalistan. All I have to say that modi has to act wisely while addressing 1 million Sikhs and visiting kanishka site

Lastly mind ur language I can use worse than u

Blackwater

The fact that you thought of yourself as a chutiy@ when I was actually abusing Babbar Khalsa folk (which is very clear in my post) throws up two possibilities:

1. You are actually a Babbar Khalsa supporter and you are lying here.
2. You are not a Babbar Khalsa supporter but you are an idiot who doesn't know how to read and understand simple English sentences.

One of the above has to be true. Take your pick. Let us know - are you an idiot or a Khalistani? One of them has to be true, going by your own responses to my post.
Calm down mate don't force me to act

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Why did Babbar Khalsa kill 300 innocents which even included Sikhs.

Is Babbar Khalsa too scared to kill Tytler and Sajjan Kumar and brave enough to only kill innocents? How come the main guys indulging in riots are living free?

This country called Canada is giving shelter to people involved in separatist movements against India and even other countries.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles