Can INS Viraat made into a STOBAR Carrier?

Is it possible to make Virrat a STOBAR Carrier?

• Yes

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • No

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • Can`t Say

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
It is been said again and again about her condition and held modification and upgrades pending, 50 years old ship still going strong coz we simply dont have other option to replace it, In such case we should not held back this small upgrade which gives huge capability..

The thing is until IAC-1 comes into play, nothing changes and there is no guarantee about its dead line, you use the math..

Even when IAC-1 comes into play, Virrat will be moved for amphibious operations as an assault ship, She can carry +750 troops and LAC for landing..

=======================================

About arsenal class ship idea, better design a new ship rather making massive modification to an 50year old ship, which may cost you double the original price of CV..

Ok so 2021 fine i dint know that ...I am not sure it can hold its sea worthy for so long .Even after the upgrade it can hold its breathe till 2016 as far as i knew ..But since u said its going to be in service for another 10 years(Am not sure as its Hull can not be changed in refitting) Yes it can be a good platform for N-Tejas or Mig-29K ... But why do u think Indian Navy never Thought about it ? There should be a good Reason for that may be technically ...

But if it is to serve till 2021 we should have N-Tejas or Mig-29KUB with it..Or it will be a waste of money for next 5 years(after 2016) as a sitting duck with 3 harrier jet and i dont even know these jets can do their job at the time of war..

Mariner HK

Tihar Jail
Banned
It is been said again and again about her condition, 50 years old ship still going strong, we should not held back this small upgrade which gives huge capability..

The thing is until IAC-1 comes into play, nothing changes and there is no guarantee about its dead line, you use the math..

Even when IAC-1 comes into play, Virrat will be moved for amphibious operations as an assault ship, She can carry +750 troops and LAC for landing..

=======================================

About arsenal class ship idea, better design a new ship rather making massive modification to an 50year old ship, which may cost you double the original price of CV..
Oh ok Kunal Thats wat am saying too ... We need a better replacement. Virat was to be decomissioned by 2012 or before that.Delay in INS Vikramaditya and Slow progress with IAC 1(INS VIKRANT) made Viratt to sail till now .Now its been upgraded again(I think if am not wrong).To extend its life till 2016.But i really dont know its life after being a AC...As u say Its a good move to use it as amphibious ship since we got only 1 and 4 to be ordered and built... Worried about its hull thou

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
2009 upgrade was meant to run her till 2016, Virrat is gone again recently in 2013 for refit which will pull her till 2021..

The hull plates are change regularly and it also inspected about other structural issues, that is how she is going strong at 28knots since last 50 years and still on..

You got my point, we need more efficient machines specially flying once and we have it so does a active platform..

Oh ok Kunal Thats wat am saying too ... We need a better replacement. Virat was to be decomissioned by 2012 or before that.Delay in INS Vikramaditya and Slow progress with IAC 1(INS VIKRANT) made Viratt to sail till now .Now its been upgraded again(I think if am not wrong).To extend its life till 2016.But i really dont know its life after being a AC...As u say Its a good move to use it as amphibious ship since we got only 1 and 4 to be ordered and built... Worried about its hull thou .

Mariner HK

Tihar Jail
Banned
2009 upgrade was meant to run her till 2016, Virrat is gone again recently in 2013 for refit which will pull her till 2021..

The hull plates are change regularly and it also inspected about other structural issues, that is how she is going strong at 28knots since last 50 years and still on..

You got my point, we need more efficient machines specially flying once and we have it so does a active platform..
ok ok ..If thats the case then we should have New fighter Jets ...May be tejas for sure .. or we can buy 7 to 9 F35 from USA... since we dont have other Vertical T/L

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
We dont need F-35 when we have Squadron of MIG-29K operating at ground at Goa..

Virrat`s deck length and hanger Size so does elevators or more than sufficient for NLCA and MIG-29K to operate from it..

ok ok ..If thats the case then we should have New fighter Jets ...May be tejas for sure .. or we can buy 7 to 9 F35 from USA... since we dont have other Vertical T/L

Mariner HK

Tihar Jail
Banned
We dont need F-35 when we have Squadron of MIG-29K operating at ground at Goa..

Virrat`s deck length and hanger Size so does elevators or more than sufficient for NLCA and MIG-29K to operate from it..
Yeah tats cool then ...Why are we not doing it ? And i mentioned F35 just for added Fleet Power at sea. F35 at sea its like Apple at ur arm's length

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The same reason i told you previously, We think its useless to spend as its life is over then again we refit her again and again for years >>
It is been said again and again about her condition and held modification and upgrades pending, 50 years old ship still going strong coz we simply dont have other option to replace it, In such case we should not held back this small upgrade which gives huge capability..
If you place an order for F-35 today, you may get the first one in next 10 years after many others and project condition, Its better to use what we have now at hand later when things will change we can change our mind then.. Just my view.

Yeah tats cool then ...Why are we not doing it ? And i mentioned F35 just for added Fleet Power at sea. F35 at sea its like Apple at ur arm's length

Mariner HK

Tihar Jail
Banned
The same reason i told you previously, We think its useless to spend as its life is over then again we refit her again and again for years >>

If you place an order for F-35 today, you may get the first one in next 10 years after many others and project condition, Its better to use what we have now at hand later when things will change we can change our mind then.. Just my view.
Right ...! But for what they(MoD) need INS Viratt till 2021 ? Without New jets? Harrier jets are like RC Plane by the time 2020.. ? I dont get it

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
If IN thinking the same as this thread is project here for, May be we see NLCA & MIG-29k for Virrat, Or harriers..

About harriers, They are quite deadly against a fleet without CV, It can launch sea eagle anti-ship as of now and may be more modern Anti-ship in near future if IN keeps harriers..

Right ...! But for what they(MoD) need INS Viratt till 2021 ? Without New jets? Harrier jets are like RC Plane by the time 2020.. ? I dont get it

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
There were no official conformation on first-place about this new refit, Independent journo informed so as the ship went for new refit..

Ships does routine refits, Navy does not officially informs about refit details, Unlike last time Livefist had opportunity to ask details..

That ship does routine refits in Kochi. Where is the official news from the navy they will keep it until 2021?

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
There were no official conformation on first-place about this new refit, Independent journo informed so as the ship went for new refit..

Ships does routine refits, Navy does not officially informs about refit details, Unlike last time Livefist had opportunity to ask details..
Here is a recent article of the recent refit.

New Delhi: INS Viraat, the Navy's only aircraft carrier, is currently getting a major overhaul at the shipyard in Kochi which will allow it to serve till 2016.
After its hull is repaired in Kochi, it will sail to Mumbai for other repairs and is unlikely to join the Navy before July.
"This is the last major refit that INS Viraat is likely to see" a senior navy official told NDTV.
Major repairs for the INS Viraat, its replacement delayed again by Russia | NDTV.com

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
The underwater hull of Viraat was repaired at the Cochin Shipyard at a cost of Rs 75 crore, said the officials. The ship will also undergo repair work to its propellers and boilers at Mumbai port. The decision to use the 50-year-old vessel till 2016, came as a surprise as there were recent reports suggesting that Viraat would be decommissioned following the introduction of another aircraft carrier, INS Vikramaditya. Captain Biswajit Dasgupta, commanding officer of the vessel, said INS Viraat, though old, is still firing on all cylinders. "We have updated Viraat with new technologies and devices. We have no doubts about her performance", the captain said in a press meet.
50-year-old INS Viraat set to sail from Kochi | Deccan Chronicle

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Interesting, Should have researched more on refit details..

Mariner HK

Tihar Jail
Banned
Major repairs for the INS Viraat, its replacement delayed again by Russia

New Delhi: INS Viraat, the Navy's only aircraft carrier, is currently getting a major overhaul at the shipyard in Kochi which will allow it to serve till 2016.

The British-made carrier has been in service for the past 53 years - it was first with the UK Navy, and then with the Indian navy for 28 years.

The effective life of any ship with the best of refits and repairs is about 40 years. The INS Viraat has beaten that average handsomely.

After its hull is repaired in Kochi, it will sail to Mumbai for other repairs and is unlikely to join the Navy before July.

"This is the last major refit that INS Viraat is likely to see" a senior navy official told NDTV.

Its replacement, the INS Vikramaditya, which is being bought for 12,500 crores from Russia, will reach India in 2014, and not November, as last promised by Russia. The induction of the 45,000-tonne aircraft carrier that can carry about 30 aircraft has already been delayed by a year, provoking a sharp reprimand recently for Moscow by Defence Minister AK Antony.

Another two aircraft carriers, which are the largest warships to be made by India, are also running behind schedule. They are being built at the Kochi shipyard and are unlikely to be available to the Navy before 2018.

They are likely to be named the INS Vikrant, the warship bought from the UK, which joined the Indian Navy in 1957 and was decommissioned after 40 years.

With the US likely to shift its focus from the Gulf to Asia Pacific, India is expected to exert a stabilising effect in the area. Besides, with the increased militarization of the Indian Ocean region - because of the increased American and Chinese presence - India needs to have more assets in place to be protect its trade and boundaries.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
When is India going to sue Russia for delays?

Mariner HK

Tihar Jail
Banned
India wont sue russia.I can understand why french want india to SUE russia :wave:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles