Can INS Viraat made into a STOBAR Carrier?

Is it possible to make Virrat a STOBAR Carrier?

• Yes

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • No

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • Can`t Say

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
This is an assumption, based on few official specs of both Ship and Aircraft..

My assumption is recent refit may be also include of Short Take-Off But Assisted Recovery (STOBAR) , We know LCA MK-1 NAVY need 195 meters to take off where Virrat is 226.5 m (743 ft) in length with its flight deck, All this ship needs is arrested recovery system, Indian Navy is keen to replace its old Harrier fleet and also want to induct LCA soon as possible, It is very possible that Navy modify Virrat to hold LCA in present or in near future, the current refit will give Virrat life for another 5-8 years, Similar modification were done not so surprisingly with Vikramaditya was also gone from (STOVL) to (STOBAR) modification to hold MIG-29K..

This is an assumption based theory..

@Decklander
@ersakthivel
@sayareakd

Last edited by a moderator:

Decklander

My assumption is recent refit may be also include of Short Take-Off But Assisted Recovery (STOBAR) , We know LCA MK-1 NAVY need 195 meters to take off where Virrat is 226.5 m (743 ft) in length with its flight deck, All this ship needs is arrested recovery system, Indian Navy is keen to replace its old Harrier fleet and also want to induct LCA soon as possible, It is very possible that Navy modify Virrat to hold LCA in present or in near future, the current refit will give Virrat life for another 5-8 years, Similar modification were done not so surprisingly with Vikramaditya was also gone from (STOVL) to (STOBAR) modification to hold MIG-29K..

@Decklander
@ersakthivel
@sayareakd
Hermes/Viraat was originally a CATOBAR ship. It will be difficult to fit a CAT today but most arrangements for BAR are still in place in the ship and can be easily modified to fit arrester wires again. I am very much for this kind of modification.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
In that case, I believe it would be very wise to turn Virrat into a STOBAR carrier this will enhance its effectiveness so does a practical platform for NLCA..

most arrangements for BAR are still in place in the ship and can be easily modified to fit arrester wires again. I am very much for this kind of modification.

Decklander

In that case, I believe it would be very wise to turn Virrat into a STOBAR carrier this will enhance its effectiveness so does a practical platform for NLCA..
You are correct. But the problem is that Viraat maintenance is already way beyond limits. First to modify it and than recover that money within remaining five yrs is not an economically wise decision. However you may have noticed that Viraat also has angled deck.
As they say, an old woman can look attractive, but how will you hide the age and wrinkles. She still will not bcum 21 yr young whatever you may try.

lookieloo

If it can be done for cheap, I see little reason not to.

lookieloo

As they say, an old woman can look attractive, but how will you hide the age and wrinkles. She still will not bcum 21 yr young whatever you may try.
But if the basic parts are still there... As Duke Nukem said: "Hell, I'd still hit it!"

Coalmine

Country flag
CAn LCA do touch and go type operation in INS Viraat.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Viraat refit at Cochin Shipyard

Sunday, March 01, 2009

^^ Virrat 2009 refit was meant to go her sea worthy till 2015, If navy refit her again in 2013 that means she is suppose to serve till 2021..

p2prada

Even if costs of upgrade, buying new aircraft and re-training the crew was affordable, IN won't receive LCAs until after 2015. No point upgrading a ship for an aircraft that won't make it in time.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Viraat refit at Cochin Shipyard

Sunday, March 01, 2009

^^ Virrat 2009 refit was meant to go her sea worthy till 2015, If navy refit her again in 2013 that means she is suppose to serve till 2021..
This refit is being done because India needs minimum 2 CBGs, 1 for Gulf of Aden and another for BoB right? And after INS Vikramaditya is deployed in GoA, IAC would not be commissioned till 2020 for duty in BoB. Till then INS Viraat would have to do.

Am I thinking right?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Yes, you are right..

Both eastern and western fleet will have there own CVs, So they Wont have to move one CV to another front leaving the other without Air-cover, there wont be any compromise with fleet air defense and striking ability with aircraft..

This refit is being done because India needs minimum 2 CBGs, 1 for Gulf of Aden and another for BoB right? And after INS Vikramaditya is deployed in GoA, IAC would not be commissioned till 2020 for duty in BoB. Till then INS Viraat would have to do.

Am I thinking right?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Now as we know that Navy intend to use Viraat till 2021, Making it a STOBAR in cheap ( As deacklander who served in Virrat told that arrestor gear can be mounted as there is facility to mount is still there in ship ) will give Virrat similar Air-power capability as Vikramaditya hence making it more or less same lethal which will ultimately increase fleet security and offensive power..

Also If Virrat turned into STOBAR, May be MIG-29K will operate first from it as NLCA still in making, MIG-29K presently are wasting time over ground bases around Goa..

Mariner HK

Tihar Jail
Banned

@Decklander
@ersakthivel
@sayareakd
Nice but How dare u to think our MoD and our politicians are clever ? lol Neways At the time we modify our INS Virat its life time will be over .And we dont even have tejas N in first place ...

I could rather convert over small islands into a Air base for smaller fleet with Anti Ship Anti SUb and Anti Rockets and Fighter jet ... we can use then as a Aircraft carriers at Deep sea...

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Neways At the time we modify our INS Virat its life time will be over .And we dont even have tejas N in first place ... .
Now as we know that Navy intend to use Viraat till 2021, Making it a STOBAR in cheap ( As deacklander who served in Virrat told that arrestor gear can be mounted as there is facility to mount is still there in ship ) will give Virrat similar Air-power capability as Vikramaditya hence making it more or less same lethal which will ultimately increase fleet security and offensive power..

Also If Virrat turned into STOBAR, May be MIG-29K will operate first from it as NLCA still in making, MIG-29K presently are wasting time over ground bases around Goa..
^^ Read this post..

Mariner HK

Tihar Jail
Banned
^^ Read this post..
Ok so 2021 fine i dint know that ...I am not sure it can hold its sea worthy for so long .Even after the upgrade it can hold its breathe till 2016 as far as i knew ..But since u said its going to be in service for another 10 years(Am not sure as its Hull can not be changed in refitting) Yes it can be a good platform for N-Tejas or Mig-29K ... But why do u think Indian Navy never Thought about it ? There should be a good Reason for that may be technically ...

But if it is to serve till 2021 we should have N-Tejas or Mig-29KUB with it..Or it will be a waste of money for next 5 years(after 2016) as a sitting duck with 3 harrier jet and i dont even know these jets can do their job at the time of war...Atleast we should convert it into a HUGE Missile carrier (Bramos,Nirbhya , Agni 5 Agni 6, K4, K3 etc) with fully operational Anti missile & Anti aircraft UNIT at deep sea which will

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles