C-17 Globemaster III (IAF)

sjmaverick

Country flag
Well many of you might agree that Kawasaki C-2 is a very capable platform if we can get our hands on it and to my mind its more capable than c-17. Having two types of planes posses huge problem to any air force but i guess Indian air force already excel in this field with all kinds of Migs, Sukhoi, Mirages, Jaguars etc so i assume they can manage C-17, C 130, and C2

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
USAF has more in storage. Will have to wait and see if they can sell 5-6 more. 16 C-17's would be ideal for IAF. A-400 is no match even for IL-76 let alone C-17.
USAF storage is meant as a reserve for their own air force to replace crashed C-17.
I hope we can pull through with just 11 C-17 for the next ~15 years. When are the Il-76 due to retire? In the next 7 years, we might have our own ~250 ton military transport aircraft in the works. In fact, they should start working in that direction right now. Take design assistance if they have to. But before that, we need more experience designing smaller commercial and military transports. They need to start designing a An-32 replacement right now. And we need to expedite Saras and its other planned versions like RTA.

Why is it that the IAF is the only service branch that is in a deep mess on every front?
  • Transport fleet
    • An-32 need replacement. They are not certified to ferry humans anymore.
    • HS 748 needs replacement. Not sure when CASA C-295 is going to come.
    • Il-76 about to retire, C-17 replacement only partial. This is a decrease in strategic airlift capacity while we should be think of capability accretion.
    • Thank god we have some C-130J as a new capability.
  • Fighter fleet
    • No clarity on Single engine tender or its need.
    • No idea about when Su-57 will be delivered, or if it will be at all?
    • No staunch support for Tejas program.
    • AMCA nowhere near completion, not to mention the complexity and the steep learning curve involved.
    • Ageing fleet needs upgrades.
    • Su-30MKI needs upgrades.
    • Rafael order cut down to 36, lets see if more will be ordered as
    • No consensus on what the future fighter fleet should look like.
  • Air Defence
    • No idea when the S-400 will come.
    • Akash SAM not deployed because of stupid reasons.
    • Thank god we have SPYDER. Still not enough. Hope they don't try to kill QRSAM and XRSAM projects.
    • Thank god we have IACCS.
    • Thank god we have indigenous radars in development, trials and induction.
  • Drones
    • No armed drones whatsoever.
    • No indigenous drone in production.
    • Happy with old Israeli drones.
    • Making case for more foreign drones, even if unarmed.
  • Helicopters
    • At loggerheads with Indian Army over control of attack helos and CAS role.
    • Thank god for the Dhruv, Rudra and Mi-17v5.
    • Thank god LUH is on the horizon.
  • Trainer aircraft
    • Thank god HTT-40 survived IAF's attemp to assassinate it.
  • Aerial refueling tanker
    • MRTT tender cancelled...................
  • AEW&CS
    • Pakistan has more than us. Need I say anymore?
The Air Force is suffering today to maintain levels because it did not deem it necessary to invest in a domestic aircraft industry. Meanwhile, the Navy is looking at both multiplying the number of platforms it has, while also replacing old ones, and is doing so in-house. The result of investing in domestic industry has paid of for the Navy, and for some extent, even the Army. I agree that aircraft industry is difficult to establish, but the fact that IAF is not single-mindedly aiming for a domestic industry is the major reason why we lag behind in this critical area of national importance. I just hope that the IAF learns its lessons and starts planning and investing heavily in building an indigenous aircraft industry, since it is a major stakeholder.
IAF meme.jpg

Well many of you might agree that Kawasaki C-2 is a very capable platform if we can get our hands on it and to my mind its more capable than c-17. Having two types of planes posses huge problem to any air force but i guess Indian air force already excel in this field with all kinds of Migs, Sukhoi, Mirages, Jaguars etc so i assume they can manage C-17, C 130, and C2
C-2 is a 150-ton class. C-17 is a 250 ton class. How are they even comparable? How is it more capable than the C-17?
教えてください

TPFscopes

Rest in Peace
Since the production line is closed, we should look for other options like getting the Airbus A400
A400 can be a serious counterpart for c130j.

btw, What the SALIS countries are seeking is strategic airlift, which is why An-124 were leased.

The C-17 is a genuine strategic airlifter across the criteria, there is enough C-130 around. The A400 can perform in this role, but is ineffiecient at it.

The A400 is not a contender for this programme. The A400 is not what is needed.

also, I doubt A400 on unpaved runways..

Narasimh

Country flag
A400 can be a serious counterpart for c130j.

btw, What the SALIS countries are seeking is strategic airlift, which is why An-124 were leased.

The C-17 is a genuine strategic airlifter across the criteria, there is enough C-130 around. The A400 can perform in this role, but is ineffiecient at it.

The A400 is not a contender for this programme. The A400 is not what is needed.

also, I doubt A400 on unpaved runways..
C-17 no doubt is a true strategic airlifter and A400 is not going to match that but in absence of C-17s there are no options left. Its correct that A400 fits more into the tactical role. Russian IL-76 have had maintenance issues which has cost IAF heavily. I doubt they would want more of those. So it comes down to AN-70 or A400 which will be mid class tactical and limited strategic airlift capability. Wish we could build our own transport like china did with Y-20 but that is many years away

TPFscopes

Rest in Peace
it comes down to AN-70 or A400 which will be mid class tactical and limited strategic airlift capability.
If you really consider An-70 as an option than I'll prefer Japanese Kawasaki C-2 as a serious contender for that.
Kawasaki C-2 is more economic as well as more efficient than An-70.

Instead of these, I hope for the revival of MTA on our own or with US/Japan/Brazil.

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
If you really consider An-70 as an option than I'll prefer Japanese Kawasaki C-2 as a serious contender for that.
Kawasaki C-2 is more economic as well as more efficient than An-70.

Instead of these, I hope for the revival of MTA on our own or with US/Japan/Brazil.

I guess we have restarted RTA aircraft programs.

RTA can be useful replacing old an-32.

Reactions: Kay

TPFscopes

Rest in Peace
I guess we have restarted RTA aircraft programs.

RTA can be useful replacing old an-32.

Kshithij

DharmaYoddha
RTA is still in inactive mode and will be inactive until or unless NAL Saras met its success , which is still pending.
Can't we modify an Airbus 320 or Boeing 747 into a transport aircraft? These things are cheap, easily available and present in excess of a thousand in India.

TPFscopes

Rest in Peace
Can't we modify an Airbus 320 or Boeing 747 into a transport aircraft? These things are cheap, easily available and present in excess of a thousand in India.
If you modify any aircraft on your own without OEM permission and consultation than it will void the terms and conditions for after sales support including warranty.

Kshithij

DharmaYoddha
If you modify any aircraft on your own without OEM permission and consultation than it will void the terms and conditions for after sales support including warranty.
That is an acceptable cost. Moreover, these planes can be repaired without the OEM permission too at the expense of warranty. Several times such repairs have been done by cannibalising parts from other aircrafts which are old or not operational.

So, in case of repairs for modified aircraft, just cannibalise the parts from other aircrafts. Simple

TPFscopes

Rest in Peace
That is an acceptable cost. Moreover, these planes can be repaired without the OEM permission too at the expense of warranty. Several times such repairs have been done by cannibalising parts from other aircrafts which are old or not operational.

So, in case of repairs for modified aircraft, just cannibalise the parts from other aircrafts. Simple
Repairing and Modification are two different tasks..

And If you're concerned for Military Cargo Aircraft, It need almost full modification along with installing various military avionics including FLIRS, MAWS, Military grade radar, Military grade communication etc and the most important part is outer surface reinforcement...

One of the main example is Air India One which do not have full OEM warranty support as it is modified from a commercial Airliner...

And one of the most important point, RTA is meant to be a Commercial Plane....

Kshithij

DharmaYoddha
Repairing and Modification are two different tasks..

And If you're concerned for Military Cargo Aircraft, It need almost full modification along with installing various military avionics including FLIRS, MAWS, Military grade radar, Military grade communication etc and the most important part is outer surface reinforcement...

One of the main example is Air India One which do not have full OEM warranty support as it is modified from a commercial Airliner...

And one of the most important point, RTA is meant to be a Commercial Plane....
We don't need Commercial plane. By the time, it will developed and well tested for safety and efficiency of fuel, oil would have run out. What is the point of making it?

We only need Military transport aircraft which can be run from coal liquefaction based Kerosene

delbruky

THE VALOR OF BHAI SATI DAS 1621-1675
Country flag
UPDATE: Just got an acknowledgement as well as an email from the office of Suresh Prabhu's office (DIPP). The gist of it is that they are working on the procurement diligently ........could be finalized by only next year. Probable issues are Insurance and language of the contract for usage limitations and periodic inspection mandated under FMS...

Akshay_Fenix

Why do we even need that last overpriced plane, why not invest that money to make our own. If Russia chickened out, then tie up with Ukraine or Japan.

Srly our dumb planner have no foresight at all. China beaten us again.

Kay

Country flag
Why do we even need that last overpriced plane, why not invest that money to make our own. If Russia chickened out, then tie up with Ukraine or Japan.

Russians did not chicken out on this one. This was one more casualty of IAF's tunnel vision.

Kshithij

DharmaYoddha
UPDATE: Just got an acknowledgement as well as an email from the office of Suresh Prabhu's office (DIPP). The gist of it is that they are working on the procurement diligently ........could be finalized by only next year. Probable issues are Insurance and language of the contract for usage limitations and periodic inspection mandated under FMS...
Inspection? Seriously? Then, what is the point of making a sale?

India is not being gifted anything unlike turkey for being part of NATO.

Reactions: Kay

delbruky

THE VALOR OF BHAI SATI DAS 1621-1675
Country flag
Such is true with every foreign purchase. All the purchases come with a lot of fine print WRT usage, modifications, maintenance and audits. Any violation can impact the OEM service agreement, supply of OEM spares and terms of the insurance contract and insurance fee.

Last edited:

Blackwater

just like LCA and its 30 yrs of failure

:biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

maaaf kar baba

rasta naaap :biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles