Burmese National League of Democracy re-registers

KS

Bye bye DFI
Myanmar: Aung San Suu Kyi National League For Democracy Party To Register For Elections

What are the implications for India? Should we support the Burmese military dictatorship or the NLD? Personally I am strongly opposed to the dictatorship, and since it is in China's pocket anyway, I think we should covertly support the democratic movement in Burma.
No...they are in the pocket of both Indian and chinese. They have done a valuable job in helping us contain the NE groups and as such the motto is simple.

Support who ever is in power in Myanmar.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Aung San Suu Kyi is the daughter of Aung San, was a revolutionary, nationalist, and founder of the modern Burmese army. He was also the founder of the Communist Party of Burma.

He has a colourful history. He was associated with the Indian National Congress and attended the INC meeting in Bihar, then he fled Burma, went to China for assistance, was caught my the Japanese and sent to Japan. From Japan he returned to Burma formed the Burmese Independent army and worked against the British, but later tied up with the British and rebelled against the Japanese!!

He was the defacto PM during the transition period when the British handed power. He was assassinated.

It is said that he was close to Nehru and a great admirer of India.

One wonders if his daughter will display the same love for India, she having married a British white and been championed by the West. It is no secret that her fame and ditties are West sponsored.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
One wonders if his daughter will display the same love for India, she having married a British white and been championed by the West. It is no secret that her fame and ditties are West sponsored.
Married British Guy. Check

Won Nobel Peace Prize. Check

100% agent of the West. I'm not sure if that's in our interest

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Even if Aung San Suu Kyi is an agent of the West (!), she has a considerable support base in Burma. I think a democratic government will emerge in Burma soon, and I don't want India to be left out of Burma because we supported the wrong side.

Because Burma borders some of India's most sensitive territory in the NE, we should make it a priority to keep both China and the West out of the country.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Of course, it is in Indian interest to side any side which rules Burma.

But it is for the Burmese to accept India and its desires!

amoy

3 major political forces, perhaps - 1) USDA formed by the ruling military junta 2) NDL 3) various 'autonomous' regions of ethnic minority. Even up to date the military dictatorship even hasn't achieved a de facto rule over the whole country. Without that 'cohesive' dictatorship Myanmar could have crumbled into an endless civil war. Indeed, Suu Kyi is being patroned by the West but she (NLD) follows her own agenda to power, and befriends whoever help her to consolidate strength. So, when the timing is opportune she can also side with China. None is in the pocket of China. China happens to be able to offer what they (all the 3 mentioned abv) what's needed for eco. development, military eqpmt, or bail-out from isolation. By our textbook, a political design has to conform to its social developmt phase, back to Myanmar context.

trackwhack

3 major political forces, perhaps - 1) USDA formed by the ruling military junta 2) NDL 3) various 'autonomous' regions of ethnic minority. Even up to date the military dictatorship even hasn't achieved a de facto rule over the whole country. Without that 'cohesive' dictatorship Myanmar could have crumbled into an endless civil war. Indeed, Suu Kyi is being patroned by the West but she (NLD) follows her own agenda to power, and befriends whoever help her to consolidate strength. So, when the timing is opportune she can also side with China. None is in the pocket of China. China happens to be able to offer what they (all the 3 mentioned abv) what's needed for eco. development, military eqpmt, or bail-out from isolation. By our textbook, a political design has to conform to its social developmt phase, back to Myanmar context.
I can see that the opium is keeping you in check!

We are to believe that Suu Kyi is gonna side with the Chinese, the very Chinese whose support the junta used to keep her under house arrest for donkeys years! The Communist party of China is who Suu Kyi is gonna dilly dally with after all these years of struggle! The monks that protested and reignited the democratic movement in Burma is gonna want to ally with the same CCP that terrorizes monks in Tibet?

You Chinese are an optimistic bunch for sure dude!

Here some advice for you Mr CCP comrade - The day Burma actually becomes completely democratic is the beginning of the end of the CCP too. You better believe that.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I think Aung San Suu Kyi will align itself with the West, come what may.

One should not forget the mysterious swim by that American to the island where Aung San Suu Kyi was held under detention.

it is obvious that the American was not wanting a midnight swim.

Obviously, it was a 'business' call, most probably of the CIA.

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles