British-registered ship caught taking arms to China

ice berg

Since it is heading for South Korea, shouldnt the title be changed? I guess some people use any chance they got to get a cheap shot, regardless how they spin the story. :rofl:

lcatejas

Ya they are working on new tech :toilet: invisible mode "MR. CHINA"

J20!

Country flag
HQ-19 is an inferior s-300 1970's tech at best. (The missiles for HQ-19 are still bought from Russia)

HQ-19 (S-400) (China) - Jane's Strategic Weapon Systems

The Russian S-400 introduced three new missiles, the 9M96, 9M96/2 and the 40N6, which can be fitted in new canisters replacing all or some of the S-300 (SA-10/-20) missile canisters on the S-300 Transporter-Erector-Launcher (TEL) vehicles
Please try not to start a flame war. The HQ19 is, and I quote: "A simplified version of the S-400, designated the HQ-19, was developed jointly with China. China provided the majority of the funding for development.[SUP][1][/SUP] Photos of the S-400 in China were released by Jane's Information Group in May 2009." Its missile ranges vary from 250km to 400km. It is in no way "[FONT=helvetica, arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]an inferior s-300 1970's tech at best". It is far superior to the S300. And considering that the HQ9 offered to Turkey is at par if not superior to the S300 I don't know what you're basing your fact-less argument on. [/FONT]The HQ9 is a 200km long range Chinese sam, incorporating features from both the S300 5V55- series and the American Patriot missile. LOOK IT UP.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Since it is heading for South Korea, shouldnt the title be changed? I guess some people use any chance they got to get a cheap shot, regardless how they spin the story. :rofl:
There is no justice. :-(

Changing the title of every thread based on its outcome would be a full-time job for DFI staff.

Last edited:

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
British-registered ship caught taking arms to China - Europe - World - The Independent

A British-flagged cargo ship has been impounded by Finnish authorities after 160 tonnes of explosives and 69 surface-to-air missiles were found on board.

The Thor Liberty was on its way to Shanghai, China, after setting sail from the German port of Emden on 13 December. The British-registered ship, owned by a Danish firm, Thorco, docked two days later in Kotka, Finland, to pick up a cargo of anchor chains.

The missiles, produced by the US firm Raytheon, were discovered after a search of the vessel by customs officials. Petri Lounatmaa, a Finnish customs spokesman, said investigators did not yet know the origin of the Patriot missiles or who was supposed to receive them.

"We have impounded the explosives and missiles and asked the Defence Ministry to transport and store them," Mr Lounatmaa said.

"At this stage we don't know where it [the cargo] was loaded on the ship or if the Thor Liberty planned a drop before its port of destination in China." Mr Lounatmaa said customs officials and police have launched a joint investigation into a possible breach of Finnish export and weapons-trading laws. "We have started questioning the crew," Mr Lounatmaa said. "As the investigation continues decisions will be made about possible arrests."

Mr Lounatmaa said that there were about 32 crew members on board the vessel and that questioning them could continue well into Friday. Detective Superintendent Timo Virtanen, of the National Bureau of Investigation, said dock workers found the explosives – picric acid – stored on open pallets instead of in closed containers. They alerted inspectors, who found the missiles in containers with markings that indicated they were holding fireworks.

The Finnish Interior Minister Paivi Rasanen said she had not heard of a similar case. "Of course, there are legal transports of weapons or defence material [through Finland], but in this case the cargo was marked as containing fireworks," she told Finland's YLE TV.

tony4562

Tihar Jail
Banned
Read other threads before posting. But understandably for guys obsessed with China, when they read a piece of negative news about China, the urge to post it is so strong that they just could/would not use couple minutes to verify it.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Read other threads before posting. But understandably for guys obsessed with China, when they read a piece of negative news about China, the urge to post it is so strong that they just could/would not use couple minutes to verify it.
Aouch, something is burning :rofl::rofl:

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
The obsession continues:rofl:
It highlights the obsession of running away from the truth, so all in all Chinese are still trying to get a technology which was not effective against Scuds. This shows all the bluster of H..........., they are all dud basically

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
One can't blame anyone from being suspicious.

China, after all, is well known for stealing technology by all available means.

nimo_cn

Country flag
One can't blame anyone from being suspicious.

China, after all, is well known for stealing technology by all available means.
Just like we can't blame anyone for opening this thread.

After all, the obsession with China is just too strong to be controlled.

trackwhack

Just like we can't blame anyone for opening this thread.

After all, the obsession with China is just too strong to be controlled.
Your making it sound like China is seen by others as sitting on some high pedestal. I'm not sure what the CCP told you, but your country is looked at nothing more than a cheap manufacturer that survives by ripping its own people and others off. But thats off-topic, so let me get back on topic.

1) Even if the shipment was for SK, why was the destination Shanghai
2) Who the hell ships sensitive arms the way it was described, crappy packaging etc

This sounds like something's being hushed up. There is still no statement from the US.

huaxia rox

i think PRC should try to get some Patriot missiles not coz s-300 or other new HQ missiles cant match Patriot 1-3 but taiwan is using the weapon and we have to fully study it if possible.

however 69 pieces will be too much.......1-5 may be understandable but 69? maybe the number iteslf is wrong??....the more u wanna ship the more risky u r....everyone knows that and so i have to doubt the story at least for now.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
i think PRC should try to get some Patriot missiles not coz s-300 or other new HQ missiles cant match Patriot 1-3 but taiwan is using the weapon and we have to fully study it if possible.

however 69 pieces will be too much.......1-5 may be understandable but 69? maybe the number iteslf is wrong??....the more u wanna ship the more risky u r....everyone knows that and so i have to doubt the story at least for now.
That is a very honest thought.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
NATO playing double game as usual... support one side and then support the other. See this is the reason why a one-arm distance is best with such "allies".

ice berg

Am I the only one who find it ironic that posters here only bashing China while the shipment was destined for South Korea?:cool2:

6 pages so far and people have hardly mentioned South Korea. Wonderful OT.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles