Britain to stop giving aid to India

Country flag
gulfnews : Britain to scrap aid to subcontinent

London: Britain is to stop giving aid to India, Andrew Mitchell, the International Development Secretary, said on Sunday.

The government has come under pressure to explain why British taxpayers are giving millions to countries such as India at a time of public sector cuts.

Mitchell's international aid budget was one of only two, alongside health, that had been ring-fenced and so was protected from the austerity drive. India was singled out because of increasing prosperity and the fact that it had a nuclear programme.

Mitchell said it was not only "morally right" but in Britain's national interests to continue to fund development projects around the world.

He said he wanted Britain to become a "development superpower", adding: "Britain is doing brilliant things around the world, saving lives."

A report from MPs on the House of Commons international development committee to be published today was expected to be critical of Britain for giving money to India.

In a television interview, Mitchell said the Indian programme had been frozen "so for the first time this year since the war it is not Britain's largest development programme". He said he did not think that Britain would continue to fund programmes in India "for very much longer".

"India is a place where there are more poor people than the whole of sub-Saharan Africa," he said.

"Britain's programme shows how we can get more people into school, and women particularly," he added.

"These programmes are massively scaled up by the Indian taxpayer. British know-how is making a huge contribution. Now is not the time to stop the programme in India but I don't think we will be there for very much longer."

— The Telegraph Group Limited, London 2011

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
It's about bloody time.

But one part of the article needs to be clarified:

"India is a place where there are more poor people than the whole of sub-Saharan Africa," he said/
India's population is 1.2 billion. Sub-Saharan Africa's population is 800 million. It's no big wonder that India has more poor people than Sub-Saharan Africa, when its overall population is so much larger! Britain has much more poor people than Equatorial Guinea, should we send aid to Britain?

Why not just speak in clear percents, instead of deliberately trying to give a false impression?

sanjay

Who cares if Britain stops giving aid to India? They just send it in the form of NGO-funding anyway. Then the NGO's become local agents for the British to do their bidding.

bhramos

Country flag
But, dont they stop funding to Christian Converstions in India!!!
if their are no poor people, whom are they funding through these Org's???
If India think to change its poor, it can definatly change....

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Thank you !!

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 20 characters.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Good news.
Please also stop giving aid to our neighbor as they're feeding snakes with your money. Those snakes won't discriminate in biting once they're set lose and they can never be controlled forever.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
So no School aid for India and more Military aid for Pakistan? That explains it.

Its better we never get anything from the British, because they brag like hell if they even do a little bit, they are the stereo typical chest thumping apes.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
and they can return our stolen artifact to us as well.

but we have to buy it back, buy back our own things.
It always p!sses me off when they auction away some Indian or Chinese artifact at sotheby's or christie's. They should return these artifacts which are part of our culture and history, that is the least they can do. And start with the Koh-i-noor diamond, which is now part of the b!tch queen's crown jewels.
In 2004 our very own Vijay Mallaya had to buy back sword of Tipu Sultan (the Tiger of Mysore) in an auction in London.
Sorry OT but can not help it.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
I don't mind civil aids to anyone but are the brits really sure the money is going where it has to?
I mean the Pak military literally runs its own parallel economy and it has become a black hole in Pakistan for all the money/resources. Americans don't trust them at all now, lets see how long the British go this way.

Regards,
Virendra

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
I don't mind civil aids to anyone but are the brits really sure the money is going where it has to?
I mean the Pak military literally runs its own parallel economy and it has become a black hole in Pakistan for all the money/resources. Americans don't trust them at all now, lets see how long the British go this way.

Regards,
Virendra
most of the fund goes to Christian missionaries and rest of fund is looted by corrupt politicians.

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles