Brigadier Ray No More

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
@Yusuf

Ray used to be on BRF but something pissed him off. I came to DFI because I saw his name and posts on here - I used to be in touch with him on pvt email. Tributes are pouring in there as well.
I might (speculating) be the reason for him leaving BRF. I remember him telling me that when I joined BRF about 7-8 years ago when Ray was in staff team, the staff thought I was Paki & had written against me in their staff talk.
Ray new me from before from WAB and backed me. When DFI started soon after, he left BR. May be there is another reason for him leaving but just mentioning what he told me once

bennedose

Exactly, DFI requires people from Armed forces specially from senior ranks. Though we won't get another Ray, such members will definitely add value to the discussions and ensure discipline.
DFI has a style of its own and I am sure it will attract others. It is important for members who interact with forces people to invite them to join. On BRF I and others used to regularly meet people at Aero India and invite them to join. A few do.

In the old days posters on forums such as BRF were very often cocky with armed forces people who used to be newbies (in the days before Facebook etc). But some people took to this form of interaction like ducks to water and RayC was one of them .

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
We will remember him and his wit.
He was a very positive and inspirational influence on me.
May you attain salvation in your retreat soldier.

Regards,
Virendra

bennedose

I might (speculating) be the reason for him leaving BRF. I remember him telling me that when I joined BRF about 7-8 years ago when Ray was in staff team, the staff thought I was Paki & had written against me in their staff talk.
Ray new me from before from WAB and backed me. When DFI started soon after, he left BR. May be there is another reason for him leaving but just mentioning what he told me once
Yusuf - BRF was the first forum that really became wildly popular - with a very high ranking in hits in the early 2000s. With an active e-journal (at that time) and all sorts of interesting people (like late BRaman) many BRFites got too cocky and uppity. In fact I came on to DFI when things had gone down pretty bad - but them there was some churning and new admins and things have picked up. RayC is a loss but things must go on.

The forum and site must keep focus.

Today I realized that a site like IDRW posts articles from Strategypage - which is itself run by people like us. I think DFI should have a section on short opinion articles in reaction to news events posted as "news commentary" or something. Instead of a forum post reacting to "36 Rafales beiong bought" - fluff it up and post as "opinion piece" I am sure people like Kunal Biswas, yourself and ersakthivel could do that. If I get any bright ideas I will contribute.

ghost

God looked around his garden
And He found an empty place.
He then looked down upon this earth,
And saw your tired face.

He put his arms around you
And lifted you to rest.
God’s garden must be beautiful
He always takes the best.

He knew that you were suffering
He knew you were in pain
He knew that you would never
Get well on earth again.

He saw that the road was getting rough.
And the hills are hard to climb,
So He closed your weary eyelids
And whispered "Peace be thine".

It broke our hearts to lose you
But you didn’t go alone
For part of us went with you
That day that God called you home

RIP
It's been an honour getting to know you Sir.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Yusuf - BRF was the first forum that really became wildly popular - with a very high ranking in hits in the early 2000s. With an active e-journal (at that time) and all sorts of interesting people (like late BRaman) many BRFites got too cocky and uppity. In fact I came on to DFI when things had gone down pretty bad - but them there was some churning and new admins and things have picked up. RayC is a loss but things must go on.

The forum and site must keep focus.

Today I realized that a site like IDRW posts articles from Strategypage - which is itself run by people like us. I think DFI should have a section on short opinion articles in reaction to news events posted as "news commentary" or something. Instead of a forum post reacting to "36 Rafales beiong bought" - fluff it up and post as "opinion piece" I am sure people like Kunal Biswas, yourself and ersakthivel could do that. If I get any bright ideas I will contribute.
It was the idea from day one for our front page

Here is what I wrote when we launched it http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...nce-and-Strategic-Analysis.37886/#post-518097

We need our boys to write good pieces. They all write so many long posts. Need to gather thoughts and present pieces

r2d2 ka baap

have been been a lurker here for several years. just created this account to pay my respects to Sir Ray. he was father-figure for this community in wisdom, clarity of thought and patriotism. you will be missed, immeasurably. and I dare say I speak for the dozens of lurkers who love our motherland, that you had and continued to bravely, selflessly defend. how can we thank you enough? we cannot, but keep you in our prayers and hearts. though you are in a better place enjoying ever-lasting peace, we are all the worse off without your physical presence. Salute, and Jai Hind.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
JMM99 From Small Wars Professionals, our condolences to Ray's widow, children and grandchildren. Our tribute to Ray is here.

http://www.smallwars.com/forum/analysis-of-regions-nations/65-india-s-counter-insurgency-experience?p=1258#post1258
Thank you, Sir,

Your attributes to him are insightful and kind. I envy that you had great repport with him that he often interacted with you privately.

For couple of days I am not able to write anything because @Ray: is not there to read it, especially thread on China and foreign policy issues.

The life moves on and we have to come back for what we were doing and play or part.

Regards

SANITY

Not the kind of news I want to hear. I would have wanted to meet him in person once. May he rest in peace.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Don't really have words to express the emptiness he left behind.

May we who are left behind find comfort in these words:

The embodied soul casts away old and takes up new bodies as a man changes worn-out garments for new.
Weapons cannot cleave it, nor the fire burn, nor do the waters drench it, nor the wind dry.
It is uncleavable, it is incombustible, it can neither be drenched nor dried.
Eternally stable, immobile, all-pervading, it is for ever and for ever.
It is unmanifested, it is unthinkable, it is immutable, so it is described; therefore knowing it as such, you should not grieve.
Even if you think of it as being constantly subject to birth and death, still, you should not grieve.
For certain is death for the born, and certain is birth for the dead, therefore what is inevitable ought not to be a cause of your sorrow.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles