Brazilian Minister heads to India to enhance defense cooperation.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
BRASILIA — Brazilian Defense Minister Celso Amorim is to travel to India this week for talks on boosting bilateral military cooperation, his office announced.

Brazil and India are members of the BRICS group of emerging powers (along with China, Russia and South Africa) and Brasilia views its multi-faceted partnership with New Delhi, including in the defense field, as a "strategic priority."

Amorim was due in New Delhi on Feb. 7 at the start of a five-day visit that will include talks with Prime Minister Manmoham Singh and Defense Minister A.K. Antony as well as visits of military installations, his ministry said in a statement released Feb. 1.

India "has one of the world's biggest armed forces" and like Brazil "seeks to reduce its technological dependence on other countries," the statement added. "There is a great potential for scientific, technological cooperation (with India), to develop projects of mutual interest."

Brazil is keen on expanding its own defense industry and its military purchases to upgrade its air and naval forces are conditioned on technology transfer and construction in this country.

Amorim was expected to discuss naval cooperation with his Indian counterparts, particularly plans to build aircraft carriers and Scorpene-class submarines, in addition to expand exchanges between military academies of the two countries.

India announced Feb. 1 that it has selected the Rafale, a modern multi-role jet built by French firm Dassault Aviation, as its preferred next-generation interceptor, but details of the $12 billion (9.1 billion euros) contract remain to be ironed out.

Last December, French Prime Minister Francois Fillon said during a visit to Brazil that he was confident that Brasilia would buy the Rafale because the aircraft's technology cannot be matched.

The Rafale is competing against U.S. aviation giant Boeing's F/A-18 Super Hornet and Swedish manufacturer Saab's Gripen jet to supply Brazil with 36 multi-role combat aircraft.

India has also purchased Legacy 600 business jets from Brazilian aircraft manufacturer Embraer.

Brazil Minister Heads to India to Improve Defense Ties | Gannett Government Media | defensenews.com

Meanwhile, Amorim was to stop in the southern Italian city of Palermo on Feb. 6 for talks with his Italian counterpart Giampaolo Di Paola And on Feb. 10, the Brazilian minister will be in Rabat for talks with Moroccan Defense Minister Abdellatif Loudiyi and Foreign Minister Saad Eddine Othmani.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
The last defence minister of Brazil was a giant, he was so huge. I guess they have a new one now.

I hope we dont show our teeth and just buy buy buy, hope we can sell some Helicopters and other stuff.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
The last defence minister of Brazil was a giant, he was so huge. I guess they have a new one now.

I hope we dont show our teeth and just buy buy buy, hope we can sell some Helicopters and other stuff.
You do know that HAL has just in the last 4-5 years woken up from slumber, don't you? :D

Dhruvs were appreciated by Bolivians and Ecuadorians. Let's see if Brazil likes it. I feel they should get our birds.

trojan

Country flag
You do know that HAL has just in the last 4-5 years woken up from slumber, don't you? :D

Dhruvs were appreciated by Bolivians and Ecuadorians. Let's see if Brazil likes it. I feel they should get our birds.
maybe in the future LCH too :cool2:

IBSA

Country flag
Wonderful,

I always think Brazil and India can to cooperate more. I think with India we has to gain more than that China, wich only wants to buy soy beans and iron from us and sell us manufactured expensive products. So, they act as a typical imperialist power as Europe and USA, which dont wants to help on our development. I had some fears even the growing relationship with China - they are our biggest commerce partnership already - would undermine the enhancement of our relations with India.

What the Brazil wants in all his defence business with other countries is technology transfers. I dont know the India's will on this. But I think we have several projects that India can participates maybe, as the construction of nuclear submarines to exchange our current diesel submarines, which hasn't the ideal capability to protect our huge maritime waters.

IBSA

Country flag

Who are you refering? To Nelson Jobim? He was the former Defence Minister

pmaitra

Brazil is doing very well in the civil aviation sector. India should look into cooperating and collaborating with them on this.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Brazil has much to offer to the world including defence products and strategic minerals.

India should build good relations with Brazil and ensure a healthy trade as also use their good offices so that is a listening outpost of the happenings on that part of the world!

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Wonderful,

I always think Brazil and India can to cooperate more. I think with India we has to gain more than that China, wich only wants to buy soy beans and iron from us and sell us manufactured expensive products. So, they act as a typical imperialist power as Europe and USA, which dont wants to help on our development. I had some fears even the growing relationship with China - they are our biggest commerce partnership already - would undermine the enhancement of our relations with India.

What the Brazil wants in all his defence business with other countries is technology transfers. I dont know the India's will on this. But I think we have several projects that India can participates maybe, as the construction of nuclear submarines to exchange our current diesel submarines, which hasn't the ideal capability to protect our huge maritime waters.
I think if HAL and Embraer come togeather we can build a conglomerate that can rival Lockeedmartin or Airbus because India has the defence tech that we are buying all the time from Israel or Europe that is going to waste because we cant seem to market it and Embraer is very good in commercial aircraft building. If we seriously put our heads togeather then we can definitely compete against the Europeans or Americans.

Thats just one area i am giving an example.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag

Haven't you seen the Ecuadorian media rubbishing the Dhruv after a crash? Untile we disinvest in HAL the quality will never improve that is for sure.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles