Brazil Wants to Buy Russian Anti-Aircraft Weaponry

average american

Small Diameter Bomb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

GBU 39 250 lb Glide Bombs range 70 or more miles, a B2 bomber can carry 212 of them, an F18 hornet 40, F35 more then a dozen.....

I doubt if an anti aircraft missile systems is going to be anything other then a waste of money when you add in Electronic Counter Measure and evasion. radar seeking missiles and glided bombs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=o_neBSX7BGQ

Then you have the GBU 53B On July 17, 2012, the SDB II successfully engaged and hit a moving target during a flight test at the White Sands Missile Range. The bomb was dropped from an F-15E Strike Eagle, then acquired, tracked, and guided itself onto a moving target using its tri-mode seeker, scoring a direct hit.[8]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GBU-53/B

Last edited:

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
Brazil to open talks on buying Russian missiles

Brazil agreed Wednesday to open talks with Russia on buying surface-to-air missile batteries.The deal was reached in the presence of Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev and Brazilian Vice President Michel Temer, with negotiations due to start in March, the foreign ministry said.

A ministry statement said the countries were committed to "the joint development of new defense products and to the participation of strategic Brazilian defense companies in the production processes with full, effective technology transfer."

Brazil is keen to develop a home-grown defense industry and over the past years has tied defense contracts to full technology transfer, so it can build weapons on its own in the future.

The defense ministry said Brasilia was interested in acquiring from Russia three Pantsir-S1 medium-range surface-to-air missile batteries and two batteries of portable anti-aircraft missile systems.

This follows a visit to Moscow in late January by General Jose Carlos de Nardi, head of the armed forces Joint Staff. He led a delegation of government and corporate officials.

Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff also discussed the issue during her visit to the Russian capital in December.

There was no word on the value of the contract.

Medvedev and Rousseff held talks on defense, energy and nuclear issues and on upcoming meetings of the G20 group of leading economies and the BRICS group of emerging nations.

Leaders of the BRICS -- Brazil, China, India, Russia and South Africa -- are to hold their next summit in Durban, South Africa, in March.

The Russian prime minister was here to attend the annual meeting of a joint high-level bilateral commission along with Temer.

Brazil to open talks on buying Russian missiles

IBSA

Country flag
Agreement signed. Now can change the thread's head:

Brazil WILL buy, no more Brazil wants buy.

This acquisition are part of country's preparation for 2016 Rio Olimpic Games, year that the missiles shall be delivered

geoBR

Country flag
Brazil agrees to purchase Russian defense system

Folha de S.Paulo - Internacional - En - National - Brazil agrees to purchase Russian defense system - 21/02/2013

Yesterday Brazil formalized its intention to purchase a Russian antiaircraft system. Brazil's Defense Ministry said the amount of the contract to be signed in the coming months hasn't been set.

During the visit of Prime Minister Dmitri Medvedev to the country, Brazil and Russia signed a "declaration of intent" for the purchase of the equipment and transfer of technology - as anticipated by Folha.

Brazil intends to purchase three medium-altitude Pantsir-S1 batteries. The price depends on the package offered, but it can be more than R$ 600 million per unit.

The purchase of more Igla units also was announced - it is an antiaircraft missile launched from a soldier's shoulder, and is already operational in Brazil.

The agreement calls for the participation of Brazilian companies in the Russian production process and technology transfer. Analysts believe antiaircraft defense is Brazil's most vulnerable area.

The negotiations for the purchase were revealed by Folha in 2009. Vice President Michel Temer says the government is awaiting authorization to use the amount necessary for the acquisition.

"The president decided on the purchase, discussed the issue with Medvedev and asked the Finance Ministry to examine the possibilities for the negotiation. It will happen."
In all, seven documents were signed between the countries.

Among them is the memorandum that includes Russia in the Science without Frontiers program and the agreement that defines phytosanitary criteria for Russian wheat to be accepted in the Brazilian market.

President Rousseff also offered Medvedev room for investments in the federal government's infrastructure projects. The gesture has become routine in the president's meeting with foreign representatives.

Aside from receiving businessmen weekly to present incentives for the federal government's logistic plans, she entrusted ministers of the economic area with the task of attracting foreign investments.

Fernando Pimentel (Development), Edson Lobão (Mines and Energy), Mendes Ribeiro (Agriculture) and Foreign Affairs Minister Antonio Patriota attended the meetings.

TRANSLATED BY THOMAS MUELLO

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Unhappily our Constitution forbidden us to develop nuclear, chemical or biological weapons. :sad:
Change it then. National security trumps all.

I wonder under who's influence such idiocy was implemented :hmm:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag

Brazil has the capability to build Nuclear weapons very quickly, and at one period of time had a nuclear weapons program.
But it was abandoned so as to prevent a nuclear build up in the S. American neighborhood, because Argentina would start building nukes, if Brazil did so. This may destabilize the region.
As of now Brazil does not need nukes as it has the strongest conventional forces in the whole of Latin America.

Last edited:

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Brazil has the capability to build Nuclear weapons very quickly. And at one period of time had a nuclear weapons program.
But it was abandoned so as not to prevent a nuclear build up in the S. American neighborhood, because Argentina would start building nukes if Brazil did so. This may destabilize the region. As of now Brazil certainly does not need nukes as it has the strongest conventional forces in the whole of Latin America.
Nukes would be for north america. Furthermore south american countries should all sign a military pact and stick together.

I was pleased to hear other south american countries singing the same tune as argentina regarding the falklands recently.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Brazil should get nukes and buy agni 5 from us.
Why should they do that? In anticipation of your answer, I remind you and IBSA that Obama gave billions to Brazil so they could drill for oil off its shores,

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Nukes would be for north america. Furthermore south american countries should all sign a military pact and stick together.

I was pleased to hear other south american countries singing the same tune as argentina regarding the falklands recently.
The point is Brazil does not face any immediate threats in the vicinity. And if it does face threats, it has a decent defense industry and also the capability to build it's own nukes.
I'm not against Brazil developing nukes, but it can potentially induce instability into the region, which will not be in Brazil's favor, as they are the regional power of S. America.
And yes, the South American Union does exist and it does have a Defense angle to it, though I do not know the exact doctrine. Maybe @IBSA does.

For now, I think Brazil should concentrate on security issues concerning 2014 Football (real Football, not fake American football) World cup and the 2016 Olympics. :brazil:

Last edited by a moderator:

W.G.Ewald

Professional
The point is Brazil does not face any immediate threats in the vicinity. And if it does face threats, it has a decent defense industry and also the capability to build it's own nukes.
I'm not against Brazil developing nukes, but it can potentially induce instability into the region, which will not be in Brazil's favor, as they are the regional power of S. America.
And yes, the South American Union does exist and it does have a Defense angle to it, though I do not know the exact doctrine. Maybe @IBSA does.

For now, I think Brazil should concentrate on security issues concerning 2014 Football (real Football, not fake American football) World cup and the 2016 Olympics. :brazil:
American football is not fake. It is Real American Football. It even lets some of those sissy soccer players kick field goals. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
American football is not fake. It is Real American Football. It even lets some of those sissy soccer players kick field goals. :)
You play with your foot, hence it's called Football, how hard is that to understand? If you ask me American football should be called smash bones or funny ball or something like that.
The fact is Americans were never good at (real) football. And so to compensate they named some random "sport" as football :p
:taunt1:

PS: The only thing good about American Football is of course the cheerleaders :yey:
I'll stop with this. :accepted:

IBSA

Country flag

Current Constitution is from 1988.

It was written during the redemocratization period, after the end of military rule. For this it is aka (Un)Concerned Citizen Constitution.

Therefore it was implement under influence of our current political class, which all them were pacifists leftist deportee or political prisioner of former military regime.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Nukes would be for north america.

Read more of their history first. The whole of South America is not a homogeneous Chavez fan club. And to top that they have their neighborly historically mistrust and rivalry. A nuke in Brazil would compel Chile, Columbia, Argentina, Venezuela to go get their nukes. Once Columbia gets the nukes then Ecuador will develop their own and so on and so forth. Of course Cuba will not be left out.

You wonder why Venezuela with its vocal anti-American regime has not yet gone the nuclear path. To the credits of the South Americans they're pretty sane people although their proud Spanish heritage may make them very vocal and proud in front of international media...

Last edited:

W.G.Ewald

Professional
You play with your foot, hence it's called Football, how hard is that to understand? If you ask me American football should be called smash bones or funny ball or something like that.
The fact is Americans were never good at (real) football. And so to compensate they named some random "sport" as football :p
:taunt1:

PS: The only thing good about American Football is of course the cheerleaders :yey:
I'll stop with this. :accepted:
The game you speak of is really Fußball. :)

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Cobra effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The term cobra effect stems from an anecdote set at the time of British rule of colonial India. The British government was concerned about the number of venomous cobra snakes in Delhi.[3] The government therefore offered a bounty for every dead cobra. Initially this was a successful strategy as large numbers of snakes were killed for the reward. Eventually, however, enterprising persons began to breed cobras for the income. When the government became aware of this, the reward program was scrapped, causing the cobra breeders to set the worthless snakes free. As a result, the wild cobra population further increased. The apparent solution for the problem made the situation even worse.[2][4]

A similar incident occurred in Hanoi, Vietnam, under French colonial rule. The colonial regime created a bounty program that paid a reward for each rat killed.[3] To obtain the bounty, people would provide the severed rat tail. Colonial officials, however, began noticing rats in Hanoi with no tails. The Vietnamese rat catchers would capture rats, lop off their tails, and then release them back into the sewers so that they could procreate and produce more rats, thereby increasing the rat catchers' revenue.[5]

IBSA

Country flag
Nukes would be for north america.

Not only for USA, but also for UK and France. Both them are nuke powers and has presence inj our neighborhood.

UK are in the South Atlantic Islands, and France are in French Guyana. There are Korou cosmodrome, but it can be utilised to launch nuke missiles in a war time.

Furthermore south american countries should all sign a military pact and stick together.
This pact already is going. It is the CDS, acronym of South-American Defence Council, which is part of UNASUL, Union of South-American Nations.

Illusive

Country flag
Brazil doesn't need nukes since its neighborhood isn't hostile and shouldn't attract unnecessary world attention. Even if they want strategic assets, then i think they should go for EMPs and ASATs, their economy is more than capable of handling such weapons finances.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles