BrahMos - Submarine launched version

Vishwarupa

Country flag
BrahMos - Submarine launched variant

The BrahMos family of missiles, developed by the Indo-Russian joint venture BrahMos Aerospace, will soon have a submarine version, A. Sivathanu Pillai, chief executive officer and managing director of the company, said on Friday.

Speed factor

Delivering the 26th Council of Scientific and Industrial Research-National Aerospace Laboratories Foundation Day Lecture, Dr. Pillai said the challenge was to increase the speed of the cruise missiles from the current supersonic (2.8 Mach) to hypersonic levels of 7 Mach.

Supersonic missiles

Dr. Pillai said the speed of the BrahMos missiles, which are to be delivered to the Indian armed forces, was more than three times that of the Tomahawk missiles used by the U.S. armed forces. "These missiles are the only operational supersonic missiles in the world," he said.

He said the joint venture had orders worth $4 billion. Several Indian companies, including Larsen & Toubro and the Godrej Group, were involved in the production of the missiles, he added.

Host of technologies

A host of technologies would be needed to achieve hypersonic speeds, Dr. Pillai said. New materials, including those having nano characteristics and "self-healing" properties, would be required.

Satish Chandra, Director, Structural Technologies Division, CSIR-NAL, delivered the Technology Lecture.

The Hindu : States / Karnataka : Submarine version of BrahMos soon

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
What i was told by friend is that underwater booster on Brahmos is Indian, as Russian did't share their underwater booster tech with us. Since we can use the tech for SLBM. It is great achievement for us, this show that we have master the art of underwater booster for K15. :thumb:

Predator

^ i think its wrong to say that

DRDO makes announcements of its projects from time to time to keep public informed, nothing wrong in that

Sumonmitra20

The Indo-Russian Missile To Get Mach 7 Speed Submarine Version

The Indo-Russian Missile To Get Mach 7 Speed Submarine Version

India and Russia's highly successful joint venture, the BrahMos Aerospace is aiming to develop a hypersonic cruise missile or a submarine version of the BrahMos with a cruising speed of Mach 7 i.e. seven times the speed of sound.

The current 300km range supersonic cruise missile, dubbed as the world's best & fastest cruise missile has been in the Indian Navy and Army for long and has a speed of Mach 3. A submarine version of the BrahMos is currently under development & work on the air launch version for the Indian Air Force has been completed. India's front line air dominance fighter, Su-30MKI will soon be armed with these missiles.

The hypersonic version will boast a scramjet engine. The R&D team behind this project includes key people from The Centre of Excellence in High Speed Aerodynamics at the Indian Institute of Science and the Moscow Aviation Institute.

Dr. A. Sivathanu Pillai, chief executive officer and managing director at BrahMos Aerospace, while speaking at the 26th Council of Scientific and Industrial Research-National Aerospace Laboratories Foundation Day Lecture, said that, "These missiles are the only operational supersonic missiles in the world." And the new hypersonic ones will be three times faster than the Tomahawk missiles present with the US Armed Forces. According to him, new technologies and new nano materials would be required to get the "self-healing" properties necessary. We look forward to more updates on this.

The Indo-Russian joint venture was setup with an investment of $300 million with 50.5 % funding coming from India and 49.5 % from Russia. The venture has so far made a business of $4 billion and expects to make about $10 billion. Many countries have expressed interest in purchasing the missile but the joint venture will not be exporting the missile in the near future.

Country flag
Re: The Indo-Russian Missile To Get Mach 7 Speed Submarine Version

The Indo-Russian joint venture was setup with an investment of $300 million with 50.5 % funding coming from India and 49.5 % from Russia. The venture has so far made a business of $4 billion and expects to make about $10 billion. Many countries have expressed interest in purchasing the missile but the joint venture will not be exporting the missile in the near future.

The MACH 3 version should be exported once MACH 7 is developed.

ant80

The MACH 3 version should be exported once MACH 7 is developed.
Perhaps, but I am more interested in what countries have expressed interest in purchasing the missile. I would hate to see Russia turn around and sell it to China for the money. Any other country, I am all right with.

edit: I obviously think Pakistan would be a bad choice as well, but I don't see Russia selling anything militarily to Pakistan.

Last edited:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag

What additional military advantages will accrue in increased speed from Mach 3 to 7?

ant80

The hypersonic version will boast a scramjet engine. The R&D team behind this project includes key people from The Centre of Excellence in High Speed Aerodynamics at the Indian Institute of Science and the Moscow Aviation Institute.
I did a little digging, and the scramjet makes me skeptical. Nobody has perfected the scramjet technology so far. In headline news today, a scramjet technology demonstration ended up being a failure. People have been trying to create scramjet engines since 1950s and haven't succeeded. With all the problems DRDO is having, I am very skeptical that they are going to collaborate with the Russians to create a scramjet engine. Sorry guys, I just don't see it happening.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag

combine this with a Desi SSGN and the PLAN can kiss it's carrier days bye bye! this baby could control all ingress routes into the IOR easily while sitting pretty under aircover from the Andamans.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
This is a very good development..

Long awaited for Submarines..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

What additional military advantages will accrue in increased speed from Mach 3 to 7?
Way harder to kill it..

There are Air defense which are now capable of shooting down Mach 3 Super Sonic ASM but only with UK & US afaik..

------------------

ASM flying at Mach 7 will be more effective solution for future air-defense systems..

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Without increasing RANGE this development is as good as self-kill in some cases. A submarine scoots after AShM launch and a twice faster AShM but with same range will give only half the time it used to be to launching sub and this won't be good if there are more than one enemy ship in the area.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
last time three 4 people were in Drdo Chief's race, looks like race is going to be closed again if seat is going to vaccent. Btw the media coverage of A5 gave indication that Chief want some other assignment after retirement.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Due to Russian Involvement the range cannot be increased, One have to start a new Project..

That`s what a PJ-10 program guy told me in expo..

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag

Way harder to kill it..

There are Air defense which are now capable of shooting down Mach 3 Super Sonic ASM but only with UK & US afaik..

------------------

ASM flying at Mach 7 will be more effective solution for future air-defense systems..

Thank you for the reply

Kranthi

This is a great news

There are only 3 to 4 SAM systems currently operational across the world which can succesfully shoot down a supersonic cruise missile,provided none of these systems have achieved 100% accuracy with single shot.
They are usually reported to require atleast 2 shots to get like 99.5% + accuracy.

Brahmos is already very difficult to intercept given its terrain hugging (sea skimming) capability.
I've read that due to earth's curvature,any sea based radar (destroyers,frigates) in the world cannot detect sea skimming missiles beyond 20 to 30 km range depending on the height of radar mast.

so 25 or 30 km for a supersonic missile is matter of seconds and u don't actually get many opportunities to intercept it.just 1 chance to fire SAMs as soon as u detect it and if it misses,boom (i don't think any CIWS can stop brahmos). even if the missile manages to get atleast 500 meters close to the enemy,it can do significant damage to the sensors and radars,which means a 2nd brahmos can finish the task without any serious resistance.

All that is the case of supersonic missiles.
Now one can imagine what a hypersonic sea skimming missile can do :shocked:

Last edited:

p2prada

Decreased reaction time for countermeasures to take effect. Even worse, there may not be a counter measure against it for quite sometime.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles