BrahMos air version will be made in India

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
State to assemble BrahMos air version

KOCHI: The world's heaviest supersonic air-to-ground missile will be made in Kerala. The integration of the air version of supersonic missiles is all set to begin at BrahMos Aerospace Thiruvananthapuram Limited (BATL).

The integration complex, where missile parts from various defence research and development centres will be pieced together, will produce 12 missiles a year. The 2.5-tonne air version will be fitted on Sukhoi fighters.

The Su-30s are being redesigned to enable them to carry the heavy missiles. The missile will be fitted on the belly of the aircraft. The launcher has also been designed and made at BATL.

Structural changes will have to be made on the aircraft to equip it to carry such heavy missile. Russian and Indian experts are preparing separate structural plans, sources said. The two plans, sources said, will be studied by a joint team of Indo-Russian defence scientists and a single plan of action adopted.

The Su-30s will be redesigned at the Nasik unit of the Hindustan Aeronautical Limited. Missiles integrated in Thiruvananthapuram will be taken to Nasik and they will be fired from the Su-30s at the Chandipur range in Odisha. "It will be fired to test its air-to-ground and air-to-sea precision,'' said Dr A Sivathanu Pillai, CEO & MD of BrahMos Aerospace.

The IAF has placed an order for more than 40 missiles. The plan, sources said, is to raise two Su-30 squadrons as specialized BrahMos strike teams. This is seen as a key strategic combination as it blends the speed and agility of Sukhois with the supersonic character of BrahMos.

Preliminary work on the missiles has already begun at BATL. Defence minister A K Antony will dedicate the facility on November 14.

From : :: Bharat-Rakshak.com - Indian Military News Headlines ::

Country flag
I hope this does not increase the sukhoi's RCS. I think firing a bunch of brahmos
or another cruise missile (nirbhay)from a bomber would be a better option? Why
Risk a sukhoi to fire one missile with a limited range if you can fire a bunch with
larger range(1000km=nirbhay) from a bomber but India seems to be avoiding going
the bomber route?

Last edited:

JBH22

A Squadron of SU-34 would not be a boon for the Strategic Air Command IAF wanted?

This plane has long distance potential with the facilities it offers to its crews, the Brahmos,Nirbhay would be good ordnance for that place.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

One can include this with IL-38SD and TU-142ME ..

Its very rare possibility that it can be used on P8I in future..

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
LF more then the weapon, its the threat of its use is what scared any captain of ship, since it does not have any known defence, no captain would like to take chance on his ship. Now if this be the case and ships will be about 500 km away from the range of Brahmos on safe distance, now just imagine if you add air launch Brahmos with SU 30 MKI its range will increase to 3000 + 500 km for Brahmos. Now imagine what headack will it give to any Captain of the ship.

Country flag
LF more then the weapon, its the threat of its use is what scared any captain of ship, since it does not have any known defence, no captain would like to take chance on his ship. Now if this be the case and ships will be about 500 km away from the range of Brahmos on safe distance, now just imagine if you add air launch Brahmos with SU 30 MKI its range will increase to 3000 + 500 km for Brahmos. Now imagine what headack will it give to any Captain of the ship.
This will make all the Chinese frigates in Pak navy worthless.

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag
The Air Launched Brahmos is a Land Attack CM or Anti-Ship ? :confused:

:crusin4:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
C-17 would be able to carry hundreds of cruise missiles.
LF Sir, C-17 is a pure transport aircraft its not design for Maritime surveillance and counter purposes unless US makes one and offer to India...

But for that reason we are getting P8I..

This will make all the Chinese frigates in Pak navy worthless.
Sir, They were always worthless..

It have 1× 8-cell FM-90N SAM launcher which is consider a short range SAM with just 15kms, Its a meat ball for Harriers with ASM range of 110kms..

pmaitra

pmaitra

Tupolev would probably be the most likely possibility?
In the long run, yes. Given PRC and Pakistan, as of today, missiles suffice, with little need for long range bombers.

In the future, we might need long range strike capability, and relying purely on ICBMs won't be a good idea, IMHO. I think India needs to start investing in one already, so that we have a workable platform 15 years hence. Let's try to get help from the Russians (design of Tu-160), and from the US (stealth technology of B-2 Spirit), if they are willing to share, i.e..

Country flag
LF Sir, C-17 is a pure transport aircraft its not design for Maritime surveillance and counter purposes unless US makes one and offer to India...

But for that reason we are getting P8I..

Sir, They were always worthless..

It have 1× 8-cell FM-90N SAM launcher which is consider a short range SAM with just 15kms, Its a meat ball for Harriers with ASM range of 110kms..
This is just to point out large capacity transport capability of C-17

Maximum payload of the C-17 is 170,900 lb (77,500 kg), and its Maximum Takeoff Weight is 585,000 lb (265,350 kg). With a payload of 160,000 lb (72,600 kg) and an initial cruise altitude of 28,000 ft (8,500 m), the C-17 has an unrefueled range of about 2,400 nautical miles (4,400 km)

M1 Abrams main battle tank, other armored vehicles, trucks, and trailers are routinely transported along with troops.

I am guessing but we could probably transport many SMERCHES to remote locations with the C-17's

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles