Bradley Manning trial

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Bradley Manning hearing: court told of Iraq unit's intelligence security chaos | World news | guardian.co.uk

A shocking lack of basic discipline and intelligence security at the unit in which Bradley Manning worked before his arrest for allegedly transferring the largest trove of state secrets in American history to WikiLeaks has been revealed at his pre-trial hearing in Fort Meade, Maryland.
I said that when Manning was arrested and I believe his local chain of command should be on trial as well.

niharjhatn

Completely agree with your comment that the chain of command should be questioned as well WG.

Whilst I agree selective info should be kept "secret", some of what was eventually leaked was...well, I hoped the US military would be more responsible than attempting a cover up ala some of the black ops that occurred during the cold war.

I think he is simply being made a convenient scapegoat for the whole affair...

As an american... what do you think of wikileaks WG? A knight in shining armour or just a man with his own agenda?

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Because of his dereliction of duty in failing to pass on crucial information about Manning's state of mind to his superiors – at a key time in the soldier's alleged leaking to WikiLeaks – Atkins was demoted earlier this year to the rank of sergeant first class.
Atkins was a Master Sergeant and Manning's supervisor.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
As an american... what do you think of wikileaks WG? A knight in shining armour or just a man with his own agenda?
Assange is both. :) AFAIK the Wiki leaks were entirely diplomatic cables, and strictly speaking should not compromised if classified. But the information revealed has been no more that embarrassing and not a national security threat. I could be mistaken.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Officer testifies on access to secrets – USATODAY.com

Capt. Casey Fulton testified for the prosecution that Manning had a "top secret" security clearance, enabling him to view a wide range of classified material. None of the material posted on WikiLeaks was classified higher than "secret."
Manning's clearance level did not enable him to view a wide range of classified material. He would have had a NEED TO KNOW. If Captain Fulton was quoted accurately, then her entire organization was out of compliance. It is another indicator that Manning should not be the only one on trial.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
The face of "Don't ask, don't tell."

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Manning case signals US vulnerability to 'insider' cyberattack

Among its accusations against Bradley, the US government says he walked out of a US military base in Iraq with a compact disc labeled "Lady Gaga" that actually held more than 251,000 secret State Department diplomatic cables.
I am thinking today that Manning (and Assange) may have done little more than embarrassing the State Department, but the Army must make an example of him.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Former CIA officer charged in leaks - The Washington Post

Kiriakou, who was among the first to go public with details about the CIA's use of water-boarding and other harsh interrogation measures, was charged with disclosing classified information to reporters and lying to the agency about the origin of other sensitive material he published in a book.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Army general orders court-martial of US soldier Pfc. Bradley Manning in WikiLeaks case - The Washington Post
HAGERSTOWN, Md. — An Army officer ordered a court-martial Friday for a low-ranking intelligence analyst charged in the biggest leak of classified information in U.S. history.

Military District of Washington commander Maj. Gen. Michael Linnington referred all charges against Pfc. Bradley Manning to a general court-martial, the Army said in a statement.

The referral means Manning will stand trial for allegedly giving more than 700,000 secret U.S. documents and classified combat video to the anti-secrecy website WikiLeaks for publication

The 24-year-old Crescent, Okla., native faces 22 counts, including aiding the enemy. He could be imprisoned for life if convicted of that charge.
The man was not properly supervised. Life in prison seems too harsh.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Bradley Manning Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize | The Weekly Standard
Army Pfc. Bradley Manning has been nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize, the Associated Press reports. Manning is most famous for allegedly leaking troves of classified documents, including State Department cables and Military files, to WikiLeaks. He was arraigned last week in Ft. Meade, Maryland and is being charged with "engineering the biggest leak of classified information in U.S. history."

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
There is support for Wikeleeks in India, i think julian was even prepared to flee to India if they took him to court on the rape case. Thats why he was saying India was a good country to stay. lol..

W.G.Ewald

Professional
I agree, do you think it will be repealed to a lesser sentence in the future? Is there any protests or lobbies working in favour of him to lessen his sentence.
Here is the latest.

What's in store for Bradley Manning's WikiLeaks trial? | Alaska Dispatch
Key points in Manning's defense are expected to include that many of the classified cables, videos, and other data he is alleged to have leaked did not harm US national security – or were overclassified in the first place. Another argument: Manning was given too much access for his junior rank.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Is this a court martial or a civilian case? Politicians can not interfere with Court martial i guess, except may be the President? The President can still pardon him under a mercy plea?
It is a court-martial. The President is C-in-C so he could pardon Manning, I suppose.

W.G.Ewald

Professional

W.G.Ewald

Professional
JURIST - Sidebar: How Public of a Trial: US v. Bradley Manning
Have US military courts achieved the same level of transparency we have come to expect of criminal prosecutions in federal and state courts in the US? That's an underlying question presented in Center for Constitutional Rights, et. al. v Lind, Military Judge, a writ-appeal petition now pending with the Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces (CAAF). The petition is an outgrowth of United States v. Bradley Manning. Pfc. Bradley Manning is undergoing a general court-martial for violating various federal and military laws under the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ) for unauthorized access to classified materials and for giving those materials to WikiLeaks.

Now, the public and media want contemporaneous access to unclassified written court filings, judicial orders and evidentiary documents that are in the record.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles