Bonding with Bangladesh

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Bonding with Bangladesh

Two years ago, The Times of India launched Aman Ki Asha, our first major endeavour towards the goal of creating better synergies with our neighbours. We feel honoured that the campaign has created a noticeable momentum for peace, and paved the way for important initiatives such as the recent trade delegation to Pakistan led by commerce minister Anand Sharma. On the back of several people-to-people initiatives like trade meets, health camps and cultural festivals, the campaign seems to be helping usher in a new chapter in the difficult bilateral relationship.

TOI believes the time has come to take the next step in our journey of strengthening our relationships in the neighbourhood. We feel that as an emerging superpower, India has been so focused on securing a place at the high table on the world stage, we don't seem to have woken up adequately to the potential for strong win-win relationships within South Asia. For instance, the intra-region trade in the sub-continent is a measly 5% of all trade undertaken by the member countries - while the corresponding figure stands at a quarter to two-thirds of all trade, for trading blocs like NAFTA, the Euro zone and ASEAN.

Emboldened by the success of Aman Ki Asha, we announce today our second major step in the goal of building a stronger and more united South Asia: Maitree Bandhan, a major initiative to forge stronger bonds of friendship with Bangladesh.

Bangladesh and India are brothers separated by the tumult of history. Six decades of independently carved destinies may have taken us on a slightly different path in terms of economics, politics and sociology; but the deep ties born of a common bloodline can't be erased through a few decades of a man-made divide. Language is a great binder between our peoples across the border, as are commonalities in food, dress and custom.

Unfortunately the two nations don't seem to have adequately recognized the innate strength of these genetic bonds, to build a strong, symbiotic and mutually beneficial bilateral relationship. Despite an over 4,000km land border and similar tastes (and therefore a fair demand for each other's products), trade between Bangladesh and India stands at a modest $4 billion.

Similarly, the absence of well-developed platforms for cultural exchange has limited our appreciation of each other's culture to well below its natural level.

While the governments of the two countries will do their bit -- albeit in fits and starts -- to foster closer ties, we felt it was time for our civil societies to directly come together to this end. We have found in our experience with Aman ki Asha that media can play a big role in representing civil society and are proud to announce that Pratham Alo, the leading newspaper of Bangladesh, will be joining us shoulder to shoulder in this important journey. Both newspapers will discuss the opportunities and bottlenecks that affect the bilateral relationship and will seek to develop new windows for our readers, into each other's worlds.

Maitree Bandhan kicks off with an eclectic cultural festival that will feature the best of Bangladeshi and Indian artistes on a common stage, in Kolkata, Delhi and Mumbai from February 23 to 29. Over the next three months, we will work towards mounting the biggest bilateral trade meet in Dhaka, in partnership with CII and the apex trade bodies of Bangladesh. Besides, we will develop opportunities like student exchange programs and strategic summits for the peoples of the two countries to interact and develop a stronger Maitree Bandhan, a lasting bond of friendship.

The Times of India: Latest News India, World & Business News, Cricket & Sports, Bollywood
An initiative to bond initiated beyond the Govt.

If indeed these two newspapers can narrow the divide, it will be doing a service of importance.

While great strides have been made by the Govt to build bridges with the Pakistani population, it is time to also look East.

Iamanidiot

The only problem is Bangladeshis are Janus faced I find the Pakistanis are more straightforward with their intent

Last edited:

pmaitra

The only problem is Bangladeshis are Janus faced I find the Pakistanis are more straightforward
What is Janus faced?

You mean they smile at you and then backstab you?

And Pakistanis are straightforward?

You got it upside down buddy! It was Pakistan who attacked Kargil after ABV's Lahore trip. Nothing like that has happened with Bangladesh.

Reactions: Ray

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The only problem is Bangladeshis are Janus faced I find the Pakistanis are more straightforward
You have been to Bangladesh?

Can you share some of your experiences?

My experience indicates that there are Bangaldeshis who are not anti Indian and there are Bangladeshis who are fundamentalists, mostly the Razakars or the Biharis left behind by Pakistan when the evacuated after their defeat.

The influence of Saudi money and their clerics have also had an effect.

Is that what you mean by saying they are Janus?

Iamanidiot

You have been to Bangladesh?

Can you share some of your experiences?

My experience indicates that there are Bangaldeshis who are not anti Indian and there are Bangladeshis who are fundamentalists, mostly the Razakars or the Biharis left behind by Pakistan when the evacuated after their defeat.

The influence of Saudi money and their clerics have also had an effect.

Is that what you mean by saying they are Janus?
Yes I have seen the worker category bunch and Iam not impressed with them or their virilty or the threat they posess to the Indian republic.They are enough of a nuisance that they are altering the demographics in North-East.

Brigadier the middle class Bangladeshis are hiding their actual intent and harbour some ghazni ambitions

Brigadier do not let sentimental feelings of past camderie endanger the future generations of our country

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Personally, I have had limited interaction with Bangladeshis, that too online. And what I saw disgusted me.

Leaving aside the online flaming, what I did observe was that even the "moderate" middle class Bangladeshis harbour dreams of separating N-E from India, to "ensure their eternal security", as many of their posters put it.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Yes I have seen the worker category bunch and Iam not impressed with them or their virilty or the threat they posess to the Indian republic.They are enough of a nuisance that they are altering the demographics in North-East.

Brigadier the middle class Bangladeshis are hiding their actual intent and harbour some ghazni ambitions

Brigadier do not let sentimental feelings of past camderie endanger the future generations of our country
First of all, I have no sentimental attachment with Bangaldeshis in the way you are inferring.

Should I have it, having lost my hearth, home, history and heritage because of them?

Yet, I am a pragmatic Indian and I understand the effects of hostility a little better than you. Not for any other reasons, just that I carry some scars, mental and physical from wars we have fought because of a hostility between nations. I don't rue the fact that I went into war, but I sure hope that in future, we can create an environment with neighbours wherein we need not go to war, lose fine men and women and economically set the nation back in time.

That Bangaldeshi are Muslims is a fact. That they shall be devout to their religion is a fact. What is also a fact, that if we bond favourably, then they will not bring in the religiosity in every affair of their equation with India. And to be frank, the Bangladeshis, well most, are not fanatical as the rest of the Muslims in other countries.

Visit Bangladesh and observe.

At the same time, I will not be PC and say that there are no anti Indian sentiment or there are no radical fundamentalist horrors in Bangladesh. There are!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The influx of Bangaldeshi in the NE is indeed a phenomenon that is alarming.

But why blame Bangaldesh?

It was a political necessity of certain elements in India itself to allow them in for their own and their party's narrow gains.

This has not only happened in the NE, but also in Bengal!

Indian politics is to be blamed.

Check the cause of the Nellie massacre.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The Nellie massacre took place in Assam during a six-hour period in the morning of 18 February 1983. The massacre claimed the lives of 2,191 people (unofficial figures run at more than 5,000) from 14 villages—Alisingha, Khulapathar, Basundhari, Bugduba Beel, Bugduba Habi, Borjola, Butuni, Indurmari, Mati Parbat, Muladhari, Mati Parbat no. 8, Silbheta, Borburi and Nellie—of Nagaon district. Most of the victims were Bengali-speaking Muslims who had immigrated to the region illegally. A group of media personnel passing by the region were witness to the massacre.

The massacre was one of many violent incidents during the infamous 1983 elections conducted in the midst of the Assam Agitation. The elections were declared against the wishes of the Assam Agitation leaders who did not want an election till the electoral rolls were cleansed of alleged illegal immigrants who were collaborating with the Pakistani Army in 1971. These illegal immigrants allegedly supported the Pakistani Army and their supporters in Bangladesh to hunt down Mukti Bahini guerilla fighters, and never returned to Bangladesh because of fear of backlash from Mukti Bahini after the independence of Bangladesh.

These illegal immigrants are the most dangerous of the lot - they are the Biharis who are pro Pakistanis.

Iamanidiot

First of all, I have no sentimental attachment with Bangaldeshis in the way you are inferring.

Should I have it, having lost my hearth, home, history and heritage because of them?

Yet, I am a pragmatic Indian and I understand the effects of hostility a little better than you. Not for any other reasons, just that I carry some scars, mental and physical from wars we have fought because of a hostility between nations. I don't rue the fact that I went into war, but I sure hope that in future, we can create an environment with neighbours wherein we need not go to war, lose fine men and women and economically set the nation back in time.

That Bangaldeshi are Muslims is a fact. That they shall be devout to their religion is a fact. What is also a fact, that if we bond favourably, then they will not bring in the religiosity in every affair of their equation with India. And to be frank, the Bangladeshis, well most, are not fanatical as the rest of the Muslims in other countries.

Visit Bangladesh and observe.

At the same time, I will not be PC and say that there are no anti Indian sentiment or there are no radical fundamentalist horrors in Bangladesh. There are!
I find their very numbers a threat and I will see them as a threat the problem with the Nellie massacre is not enough of them died in the NE to reverse the demographic change.

Khaleda Zia or the Jamaat shit gives me an impression contrary to what you said.I want Bangladeshis dead as much as I want the Pakistanis dead but I would rather do it covertly without any overt hostility

KS

Bye bye DFI
I want Bangladeshis dead as much as I want the Pakistanis dead but I would rather do it covertly without any overt hostility
Just pray to Varuna Bhagwan to complete the task ASAP :p

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I find their very numbers a threat and I will see them as a threat the problem with the Nellie massacre is not enough of them died in the NE to reverse the demographic change.

Khaleda Zia or the Jamaat shit gives me an impression contrary to what you said.I want Bangladeshis dead as much as I want the Pakistanis dead but I would rather do it covertly without any overt hostility
Indeed, the illegal immigration is dangerous.

More than asking the Bangaldeshi Govt to explain, please ask the Indian Govt, first.

You may want them dead and kudos for that!

How about doing something about it by going into Pakistan and Bangladesh and doing something rather on the cyberspace?

KS

Bye bye DFI
You mean they smile at you and then backstab you?

And Pakistanis are straightforward?

You got it upside down buddy! It was Pakistan who attacked Kargil after ABV's Lahore trip. Nothing like that has happened with Bangladesh.
What he meant was Pakistanis make no secret of their hatred towards India and actually I like that rather than the Bangi bitch behind my back attitude or the Chini make the other bitch about me attitude.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Illegal Bangladeshi Immigration: People Take the Mantle When the Government Gives Up

by Anand Kumar

The illegal immigration of Bangladeshis has become a serious problem for India . To deal with this, the government had earlier decided to deport at least 3,000 Bangladeshi migrants every month. But toward the end of April this year, the government took a U turn. The Union Home Ministry has now decided to do a rethink on the policy, as it felt the deportation exercise was ''unimplementable''. Almost at the same time people in Dibrugarh district in Assam started a social mobilization against these illegal immigrants. In sharp contrast to the government effort, their approach appears to be working. The economic sanctions imposed on illegal immigrants have forced a large number of them to move out of the district and seek living elsewhere. The non-governmental organization which started a campaign against the illegal Bangladeshis wants other districts to follow their example so that the state as a whole can get rid of them.

Illegal immigrants have been one of Assam 's biggest issues for the last two decades. Assam shares a 272-km-long border with Bangladesh . A vast stretch of that is still unfenced. India says that the large-scale infiltration from across the border was threatening the region's demographic profile. Though the exact number of illegal immigrants is not known, generally it is estimated that about 20 million Bangladeshis are illegally staying in India . Of this number, about 6 million are present in Assam alone. There are no official estimates for the number of migrants in Assam , but state governor Ajai Singh has said that up to 6,000 illegally enter the region every day. The outgoing judge of the IMDT Tribunal, which is supposed to detect and deport infiltrators has also admitted that infiltration is continuing on a large scale. Due to this unabated illegal immigration at least five districts of lower Assam is now dominated by the Bangladeshis.

The Congress led Assam government says that it wants to solve the issue of illegal immigration on the basis of Assam Accord and make 1971 as the cut off date for migrants. But this assertion of government remains only a statement of intent. Very little has been done on the ground to check the influx of Bangladeshis.

To remedy the situation, people of three districts in Upper Assam decided to act on their own within the boundaries of law. It first began in the district of Dibrugarh, where on April 12 this year a group of youngsters got together to form the Chiring Chapori Yuva Mancha. They published leaflets asking residents not to harbour, employ or provide food to suspected Bangladeshis. They also started sending SMS messages through mobile phones. As the messages spread, there was all-round cooperation from people in the district and nearby areas.

After which thousands of Bangladeshis who have been working as labourers and rickshaw pullers have been leaving the town of Dibrugarh . However, the estimate of number of people leaving varies. The group convened a press conference and thanked people for their support. A member of the forum said, "The response to the campaign against illegal migrants has been very encouraging. People from all quarters of this township, irrespective of caste, creed and community, have responded fully to our sincere appeal." The group urged "indigenous Muslims" not to be frightened. It asserted that its fight was only against those who are illegally settling in Assam . It also ruled out possibility of any clash. The organization reiterated that it had only appealed to the people to which they have responded.

The organization has denied any political linkage. It has asked all conscious and law-abiding citizens to join its campaign. It says that its basic aim is to make Dibrugarh town clean and healthy. It also appealed to people from other districts of the state to launch similar sort of campaign to make the state free from illegal migrants. They have appealed to all political parties to support their cause.

The success of the campaign started by the 'Chiring Chapori Yuva Manch', in Dibrugarh, has encouraged other groups like All Assam Students Union, Asom Jatiyatabadi Yuba Chhatra Parishad, Tai Ahom Students Union and Motok Students Union also to join the campaign.

The Bangladeshi immigrants in this area were hired by local contractors in brick kilns, road and building construction works. A large majority of them also pulled rickshaws. Women worked as maids. After the campaign began, these workers started fleeing from Dibrugarh, Jorhat and Golaghat in Upper Assam to the five immigrant-dominated districts of Dhubri, Goalpara, Kokrajhar, Morigaon and Nagoan in Lower Assam .

The state government initially did not know how to react. The government spokesman and rural development minister Ripun Bora maintained that the group behind the anti-Bangladeshi campaign, Chiring Chapori Yuva Mancha, had not harassed any suspected illegal migrants. Bora said that those who left Dibrugarh were mostly from the religious minority. "But it was out of fear that they left. The Mancha did not drive them out. Anyway, it is the duty of all Indian citizens to be vigilant on the movement of foreigners."

However, soon the state government feared a communal backlash as certain quarters tried to give the issue a religious colour. Assam Home Minister Rokibul Hussain asked the district administration and the police to remain vigilant to ensure that no genuine Indian citizens are harassed in the name of hounding Bangladeshis and also to prevent any sort of communal tension. Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi asked Hussain, Planning Minister Himanta Biswa Sharma and Home Commissioner B K Gohain to rush to Dibrugarh and take stock of the situation.

The government issued a mild warning, saying it would take "appropriate action against anyone found harassing or intimidating minorities in the name of illegal migrants." It has instituted two inquiries into the exodus. Apart from Dibrugarh additional deputy commissioner Mukul Gogoi, home commissioner Biren Gohain has been asked to investigate the development and submit a report within a month. A press release from Dispur said a preliminary investigation revealed that the people who fled Dibrugarh hailed from Darrang, Sonitpur, Goalpara, Barpeta and Nagaon districts.

The Union government took note of the exodus of suspected migrants from this Upper Assam district after Congress MP Anwar Hussain raised the issue in the Lok Sabha. The centre decided to bypass the Tarun Gogoi government, and has asked central intelligence agencies to compile reports on the exodus of suspected illegal settlers from Dibrugarh district. These agencies have been specifically told not to rely on inputs from the state administration or the police.

The fleeing Bangladeshis have caused concern in other states of northeast. The North East Students' Organisation (NESO), the apex body of all student groups in the northeast, has warned the state governments in the region to be alert against fleeing Bangladeshi nationals from Assam entering other states. NESO leader N.S.N. Lotha said, "Some 10,000 Bangladeshis have already left for greener pastures in other states after the economic blockade against migrant workers in Assam ."

Unfortunately, soon afterwards, the State Government started hunting for a political motive behind the anti-migrant campaign launched by a little-known organisation. On May 16, Minister of state and government spokesperson Ripun Bora stated that a "political hand" behind the developments in Dibrugarh could not be ruled out. He said both the AGP and the BJP were on the lookout for an issue to pin down the government with, considering Assembly elections are barely a year away. He said, "They are looking for an emotional issue and this is one. The AGP came to power twice by cashing in on this issue. So nothing can be ruled out."

However, the Asom Gana Parishad (AGP), which had come into being on the issue of infiltration from Bangladesh , chose to distance itself from the ongoing drive against "foreigners" in Dibrugarh. Its president Brindaban Goswami stated that his party wanted this issue to be resolved on the basis of the 1985 Assam Accord and while seeking a solution to the vexed issue, genuine Indian citizens should not be harassed.

Commenting on the exodus of suspected illegal immigrants, the opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) stated that their oft-repeated claim that Assam has become a hunting ground for Bangladeshi nationals stands vindicated after the reports of the exodus. The zonal organising secretary of BJP V Satish welcomed the move of the Mancha saying this kind of social pressure was needed to remove the illegal migrants. He said, "The Congress government is protecting the migrants for their vote bank so this Mancha had done the right thing."

The All Assam Minority Students Union warned both Delhi and Dispur to be ready to face an unexpected situation if stern action was not taken against the "communal leaders" responsible for the exodus of the "working class" minorities from the Upper Assam districts. The student group claimed that the religious minorities working as wage earners in the Upper Assam districts are actually from the erosion-hit villages of Morigaon and Barpeta districts. It said dubbing them foreigners and imposing an "economic blockade" on them was a conspiracy of both the BJP and the AASU for their narrow political gain, which would ultimately lead to ethnic bloodbath.

Unfortunately this social action against illegal immigration in Assam has now become politicized and communalized. In Assam a law, the Illegal Migrants (Determination by Tribunals) Act, 1986, was enacted to check the problem of illegal immigration. But later it was found that the law itself has become a big hurdle in checking the problem. Police throughout the border areas of Assam have found it tough to detect and evict illegal migrants who have flooded the North-Eastern states in recent years. Local police says that it is next to impossible to throw out foreigners from Assam because the IMDT Act required "too much documentation before a person can be identified and deported." In such a situation the social action of people against the illegal immigrants was proving to be very effective. But with local elections just one year away, even the initiative of people has taken a political colour. The Assam government has now come out openly in favour of these illegal migrants whom it considers its vote bank. The approach of the state government shows why this problem has been around for so long and its magnitude which has increased over the years.

Illegal Bangladeshi Immigration: People Take the Mantle When the Government Gives Up
The issue is simple.

The Govt does not want to solve the issue nor stop the illegal influx!

Last edited:

Iamanidiot

Indeed, the illegal immigration is dangerous.

More than asking the Bangaldeshi Govt to explain, please ask the Indian Govt, first.

You may want them dead and kudos for that!

How about doing something about it by going into Pakistan and Bangladesh and doing something rather on the cyberspace?
Why going to Bangladesh and Pakistan use Divide et impera let them cull each other equally applicable to both.Brigadier you are naive war does not need an army always

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Why going to Bangladesh and Pakistan use Divide et impera let them cull each other equally applicable to both.Brigadier you are naive war does not need an army always
Please go an do it since you want Pakistanis and Bangladeshis dead.

I don't think the rest of India share your views.

Yes, I am naive.

You can always have a war without military action.

You should lead that way!

Be the One Man Army, oops, the One Man Non Army War Machine!

Be a Mossad man!

Iamanidiot

Please go an do it since you want Pakistanis and Bangladeshis dead.

I don't think the rest of India share your views.

Yes, I am naive.

You can always have a war without military action.

You should lead that way!

Be the One Man Army, oops, the One Man Non Army War Machine!

Be a Mossad man!
Au contraire most want them dead and we do not want overt hostility with them

Tianshan

I want Bangladeshis dead as much as I want the Pakistanis dead but I would rather do it covertly without any overt hostility
how about us?

What he meant was Pakistanis make no secret of their hatred towards India and actually I like that rather than the Bangi bitch behind my back attitude or the Chini make the other bitch about me attitude.
how do we make the other bitch about you? and who is the other.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Au contraire most want them dead and we do not want overt hostility with them
I never knew that there are so many Alices living in their Wonderland.

I would say that if there are so many who want Pakistanis and Bangladeshis dead, then they are totally impotent since they have not been able to translate their dreams!

I don't take the views of Impotent people as they voice of India!

I know one thing for sure and that is that the Indian Govt of all political hues do not share that view nor the agencies that are to translate the Indian political will!

Ipso facto, I find the idea immensely immature and ideal to imagine after imbibing and obtaining assistance from hallucinatory agents.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Let me not stand in your way to undertake a Holy Genocide.

However, I don't know which religious diktat you shall take cover of for you unholy mission!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles