Bollywood has an immense impact on our lives

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
Bollywood's influence on Pakistani lives and on its film industry is undeniable, says model-actress Aamina Sheikh, a well-known face from Pakistan's fashion and entertainment industry.

"One can't deny the Bollywood influence in Pakistan," Aamina told IANS, adding that people in Pakistan were as passionate about Bollywood as Indians.

"So much so that they want to compete with Bollywood films. We, as actors, always say that we can't compare the two industries at infrastructural and other level. But people can't help but compare."

"Bollywood has an immense impact on our lives. Who doesn't want to take a deep dive into it," added the 29-year-old.

Asked about her favourite actor and who she would want to work with, Aamina answered promptly: "Abhishek Bachchan and Ranbir Kapoor would be nice."

Aamina, who is the face of various renowned consumer product brands in Pakistan and has recently won award best actress award for an upcoming Pakistani film Lamha (Seedlings) at the New York City International Film Festival, was in India for the first time for her forthcoming film Josh, which was screened at the 14th Mumbai Film Festival (MFF) here.

Talking about her character in the film she said: "I play Fatima, who has a group of friends who are very progressive and represent the urban youth from cities like Karachi and Mumbai. It is through her friends that she explores her nanny's village. The nanny runs a khaana ghar that Fatima attempts to run after her nanny dies.

Josh will break the stereotype of the country, hopes Aamina.

"The plot of the film is like an allegory of what Pakistan is right now. It is a bird's eye view of what the country is. The story makes you touch the heart of Pakistan and break the stereotype image of the country," she said.

“Bollywood has an immense impact on our lives" | DAWN.COM

trackwhack

The only impact that Bollywood has had on the sub continent is to brainwash us that fair skin is superior. Its India's most shameful export. If fairness creams at still selling 70 years after we kicked the Brits out, go figure.

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
The only impact that Bollywood has had on the sub continent is to brainwash us that fair skin is superior. Its India's most shameful export. If fairness creams at still selling 70 years after we kicked the Brits out, go figure.
no i guess Bollywood can be now compared with hollywood in quality

bt the recent movies stories are nt as good as the bollywood movies in 90's.

bose

Country flag
no i guess Bollywood can be now compared with hollywood in quality

bt the recent movies stories are nt as good as the bollywood movies in 90's.
A new wrong idea the Pakistanis have that India has only bollywood as film / cinema industry... Some very good film are also made in other regional area such as in South India likes of Malaylam, Tamil, Telegu and Kanada in East we have Oriya, Bengali, Bhogpuri.. in North East we have Assamese, Manipuri and in West we have Konkoni, Marathi to name few...

On the bolded part I would saw the current movies [with few exception] are no match for the socio sensitive movies of 60's & early 70's... those were the days... In those days people were not as money minded as we see nowdays and were used to love truely the art of film making...

mayfair

^^ What @bose said.

In fact in terms of content and screenplay, Malayalam and Bangla film industries make better films than most Hindi or rather I should say Indian cinema.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tronic

I watch subbed/dubbed South Indian movies and they are pretty good, but I think that they can only compliment Bollywood movies, not directly compete with them. Bollywood market and the money involved is simply too huge for regional cinema to compete.

Pakistani cinema cannot dream of competing with Bollywood because that was never it's forte. Pakistan used to produce some amazing Punjabi movies until they adopted Urdu, and now they have become, as the saying (I think) goes, "nah ghar ke, nah ghaat ke". Today, even Indian Punjabi Cinema is producing bigger blockbusters than Pakistani Cinema ever produced. That is what happens when you forget your roots and try to adopt a foreign identity; you forever become subjects to foreign cultural domination.

mayfair

I watch subbed/dubbed South Indian movies and they are pretty good, but I think that they can only compliment Bollywood movies, not directly compete with them. Bollywood market and the money involved is simply too huge for regional cinema to compete.
Not exactly. Tamil and Telugu cinema have huge domestic and overseas markets. In fact most cinema halls in India are in these two states. I believe Telugu film industry holds the record for producing maximum films in a calendar year. Rajnikanth's Chandramukhi, Shivaji and Robot made more money than any contemporary Hindi film

Pakistani cinema cannot dream of competing with Bollywood because that was never it's forte. Pakistan used to produce some amazing Punjabi movies until they adopted Urdu, and now they have become, as the saying (I think) goes, "nah ghar ke, nah ghaat ke". Today, even Indian Punjabi Cinema is producing bigger blockbusters than Pakistani Cinema ever produced. That is what happens when you forget your roots and try to adopt a foreign identity; you forever become subjects to foreign cultural domination.
Paki cinema sucks. End of.

Tronic

Not exactly. Tamil and Telugu cinema have huge domestic and overseas markets. In fact most cinema halls in India are in these two states. I believe Telugu film industry holds the record for producing maximum films in a calendar year. Rajnikanth's Chandramukhi, Shivaji and Robot made more money than any contemporary Hindi film
Mayfair, only Robot made more than most Bollywood movies, but even than, just look at the huge gap between those movies release. Chandramukhi came out in 2005, Shivaji in 2007 and Robot in 2010. Compare that with the top 5 Bollywood movies this year alone, and they easily have either surpassed those movies in earnings, or in the case of Robot are running quite equal to it.

Yes, it does today, but it was quite good at one time.

afako

Hindufying India
Country flag
Bollywood's Revenue is 5 times larger than all the Regional Cinema Industries Combined.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
OT
That is what happens when you forget your roots and try to adopt a foreign identity; you forever become subjects to foreign cultural domination.
Could you expand more on the foreign domination wrt Urdu part ? Are you referring to Mohajir cultural domination or Persianization/Arabization of Pakistan ?

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned

well depends upon the budget as well

if the movie budget is good than expect something good

well this is the most expensive Lollywood movie
to be released soon

Tronic

OT

Could you expand more on the foreign domination wrt Urdu part ? Are you referring to Mohajir cultural domination or Persianization/Arabization of Pakistan ?
I mean Indian cultural domination of Pakistan. Muhajirs are nothing but migrants from hinterland India. Pakistanis cannot culturally dominate with a foreign culture or language (Urdu is not much different than Hindi, known as "Hindustani"). The only place Pakistanis could dominate was Punjabi culture as that land was home to so many legendary Punjabi sufis such as Bulleh Shah and Waris Shah, but even those cultural icons have been adopted by the Indian Punjabis and are largely rejected by the Pakistanis. That's the reason Pakistan will always remain dominated by foreign culture. They are dominated by Indian culture, not Persian, not Arab.

As for Arabization and Persianization; "Persianization" of Pakistan is actually not happening and was rather a part of Punjab's cultural history, even the Sikh rulers were somewhat Persianized (many of Guru Gobind's writings are in Persian, and the administrative language of Maharaja Ranjit Singh's kingdom was also Farsi); but that "Persianization" was due to the secular/tolerant intellectual culture coming out of Persia at that time.

The Pakistanis today are going towards attempted Arabization through Wahabbism and whatnot, where the strings are pulled by the Saudis. However, after travelling to other Indian states, I think the Pakistani "Arabization" may be over exaggerated in terms of India. I think India's non-Punjabi Muslims (I have visited MP, Maharashtra) are anyways more "Arabized" than Pakistani Muslims. In Punjab, I have never seen Muslims so segregated; they dress the same way as other Punjabis, their "hijabs" for the ones who wear the Hijab are worn in a very Punjabi style, looks nothing like the Persians or Arabs. I travelled to Maharashtra and I was so damn surprised. You see Muslim women dressed in black burqas covered head to toe everywhere! From the number of Pakjabis I know, even they are less "Arabized" than the Muslim chaps I saw in other Indian states.

Tronic

well depends upon the budget as well

if the movie budget is good than expect something good

well this is the most expensive Lollywood movie
to be released soon

The problem is that the movie budget can only be big when you have a big market. Lollywood's market is almost non-existent in the face of Bollywood. Anyone who wants to fill their apetite of Hindi/Urdu movies will just go watch Bollywood all year round. Where's the incentive to watch the smaller Lollywood? It isn't really a surprise that Lollywood's last major commercial hit was a Punjabi movie, "Majajan". Yes, you have your "Bol"s, "Khuda ke Liye"s and whatnot, but than, those are all very specific issue based movies, not big commercial films.

Blackwater

when i was in UK. i saw pakis and bangladeshi are crazy about hindi movies and songs than me.:shocked::shocked:

bollywood no doubt impact lives of asian but also arabs and goras

In Holland,all moroccans and turkey knows who is amitabh bachchan , shahrukh khan, salman khan,they watch hindi movies with subtitles and enjoyed:p:p:p

chase

Tihar Jail
Banned
when i was in UK. i saw pakis and bangladeshi are crazy about hindi movies and songs than me.:shocked::shocked:

bollywood no doubt impact lives of asian but also arabs and goras

In Holland,all moroccans and turkey knows who is amitabh bachchan , shahrukh khan, salman khan,they watch hindi movies with subtitles and enjoyed:p:p:p
add to that list tunisia,egypt,saud arabia(although they watch in closed rooms :laugh: ) and east european countries like estonia,ukraine,poland etc

Tolaha

Fairness creams sell in India and China. Instant tanning lotions sell in many other countries. World is more fair (pun intended) than you think! :D

opesys

Fairness creams sell in India and China. Instant tanning lotions sell in many other countries. World is more fair (pun intended) than you think! :D
I am trying to understand,I am not particularly arguing against your point...so help me understand

If you ask any girl or a guy to choose a partner between a fat and a non fat person, he or she would definitely choose a non fat person, right ? Isn't this discrimination ?
Again with bald or a non bald person most probably a non bald person, right ? Isn't this discrimination ?
Girls choosing tall guys against short guys and Guys choosing a girls with good XYZ (structure), isn't this discrimination ?

People do one thing or the other to overcome this, no ? Hair growth treatment, XYZ Surgeries, programs/medicines to become lean....
Why are people obsessed only with Color and not with any other discrimination?

Am I not thinking in the right way ?

Last edited:

Tolaha

@Tolaha
Am I not thinking in the right way ?
You're thinking is absolutely correct my friend! As to why colour has become so important, don't have an answer to that myself! Maybe colour tends to be more easily discernible in any "Us vs Them" theory? But one thing is for sure... if all humans had the same colour, we would have found something else to discriminate one another.

And the weird thing is that this preference to colour changes with time! The colour of "Krishna" was nice in ancient India, not so much now. "Bronze" is a fashionable colour in western countries nowadays, we know how it was earlier!

Global Defence

New threads

Articles